Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 16

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 14:24
This post received
KUDOS
I have enjoyed reading today's discussion. As a Mexican-American minority, I can tell you that things are not always the way they seem. Life is full of nuances and complexities. Indeed it is precisely this that makes it wonderful.

I moved to the US at age 10 without speaking a word of English. A week ago I took the GMAT and scored in the 97th percentile for Verbal. At the same time, however, I took Calculus II in high school, passed the rigorous exam, and won an award for excellent math skills. A week ago I scored in the 35th percentile for Quant. Not so straightforward right?! ; ) Does my 640 make me a marginal candidate? Some may look at my quant score and think that I'm a complete idiot who has always been bad at math. Others may mistake my score on verbal to mean that I am a US citizen. I like to think that both assumptions are wrong. Again, life is full of nuances!

Regardless of our differences, we are all in this together and I wish each of you the best in your application (Consortium or not!)

Jose
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 21:10
MoveTheChains wrote:
Am I the only one who didn't get the email from Travis yesterday? If one of you can PM me the content of the email, I'd appreciate it. I'll have a hug waiting for you at OP.

I didn't get the email too...wondering if the email was sent to only those that have accepted the offers/fellowships
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
josemnz83 wrote:
I have enjoyed reading today's discussion. As a Mexican-American minority, I can tell you that things are not always the way they seem. Life is full of nuances and complexities. Indeed it is precisely this that makes it wonderful.

I moved to the US at age 10 without speaking a word of English. A week ago I took the GMAT and scored in the 97th percentile for Verbal. At the same time, however, I took Calculus II in high school, passed the rigorous exam, and won an award for excellent math skills. A week ago I scored in the 35th percentile for Quant. Not so straightforward right?! ; ) Does my 640 make me a marginal candidate? Some may look at my quant score and think that I'm a complete idiot who has always been bad at math. Others may mistake my score on verbal to mean that I am a US citizen. I like to think that both assumptions are wrong. Again, life is full of nuances!

Regardless of our differences, we are all in this together and I wish each of you the best in your application (Consortium or not!)

Jose

I am so glad I saw this post. I have the same exact GMAT score results. I applied this past fall and had reasonably good success, so low GMAT scores are not the end all be all! I got into Ross and got a Forte Fellowship from Tepper. I got interviews with Booth, Ross, Tepper, Kellogg, and Fuqua and am on the waitlist for Booth, Kellogg, and Fuqua. Your 640 definitely does not make you a marginal candidate!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 05:19
Cane4life86 --> Emory --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
MBAOK2013 --> Tepper(CMU) --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
cinder4277 --> Darden --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
AtaQuye --> Stern (NYU) --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
HowDidIGetHere --> Kenan-Flagler (UNC) --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
Peeweeninja --> Michigan (Ross) --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
Eamers --> UC Berkeley (Haas) --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
DMNY31--> Tepper (CMU) --> Member --> New Orleans Yes
OhYeah --> Stern (NYU) --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:31
Not sure if this was answered earlier but does anyone know if your deposit is refunded if you were awarded the fellowship?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:51
trente wrote:
Not sure if this was answered earlier but does anyone know if your deposit is refunded if you were awarded the fellowship?

Most schools apply it to any extra costs in the fall (ie: it becomes a positive balance on your name, to be used for health insurance etc).

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:52
Finalllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :drinking :-D

burgundy2015 --> Stern (NYU) --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 15:37
ldryan wrote:
josemnz83 wrote:

Jose

I am so glad I saw this post. I have the same exact GMAT score results. I applied this past fall and had reasonably good success, so low GMAT scores are not the end all be all! I got into Ross and got a Forte Fellowship from Tepper. I got interviews with Booth, Ross, Tepper, Kellogg, and Fuqua and am on the waitlist for Booth, Kellogg, and Fuqua. Your 640 definitely does not make you a marginal candidate!

Depending on which schools you're looking at, you'll probably want to retake the GMAT. I recommend buying some books to help you study (I used Manhattan GMAT); they'll teach you a lot of tricks to raise your quant score. I know there's a lot of studying involved, but I think it's actually one of the easiest data points on your profile to improve (there's nothing you can do about your college profile at this point, and changing careers is substantially more difficult).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 16:00
josemnz83 wrote:

Jose

I have a slightly different view regarding the GMAT. Having taken it thrice I’ll probably focus on taking, and acing, as many college-level Math classes as possible. With 640, and a strong application, I believe you should be able to land interviews at top schools but you still need to address the low quant scores. However, instead of going the GMAT route again, I’d look at the classes. The reason I say this is because if you, for some reason, trend lower on the next GMAT then you might not be in a good position. However if you do well on those college-level quant classes, you might have a plausible explanation in the “any additional comments” section of your application as to the reason for your low GMAT quant scores.

...just a suggestion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 16:46
cole2012 --> Anderson --> Fellow --> New Orleans Damn Right
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 21:59
cole2012 --> Anderson --> Fellow --> New Orleans Damn Right
RedSox88 --> Emory --> Fellow --> New Orleans Yes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 06:29
Thanks for the encouraging words. Do you mind sharing what you scored on each section? I scored a 640 (V 44; Q 35). (97th and 35th percentiles, respectively). I do not plan on applying until next cycle and hope to increase my quant score. Congrats on the acceptances!

ldryan wrote:
josemnz83 wrote:

Jose

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 06:42
Thanks for your response. My first score on the GMAT was a 510 with a 28 on verbal (34th percentile). I took it a day before having my appendix removed. It was funny because during the exam I kept getting really bad stomach aches. I did not know at the time that I would have surgery the next day. Since then I prepared for the Verbal and scored a 580 the second time (75th percentile) and a 640 the third time (97th percentile). My score on Quant has remained constant at 35. I did purchased the Manhattan guides but breezed through them quickly without really mastering any concepts. In fact I finished an entire guide in less than one week. Now that I know I will not apply until the fall, I want to spend much more time reviewing the concepts. I have also purchased additional materials that others have recommended here. I will try to use the next three months to review the basic concepts for the math GMAT. If I do not see noticeable improvement (as measured by practice tests), I will not register for the GMAT and will instead follow your suggestion and take a math course this summer. The good thing for me is that work (employment) slows down beginning in May so I should have ample time to take a class (knock on wood!).

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks again for your response! I'm glad that I found this forum!

jay4den wrote:
josemnz83 wrote:

Jose

I have a slightly different view regarding the GMAT. Having taken it thrice I’ll probably focus on taking, and acing, as many college-level Math classes as possible. With 640, and a strong application, I believe you should be able to land interviews at top schools but you still need to address the low quant scores. However, instead of going the GMAT route again, I’d look at the classes. The reason I say this is because if you, for some reason, trend lower on the next GMAT then you might not be in a good position. However if you do well on those college-level quant classes, you might have a plausible explanation in the “any additional comments” section of your application as to the reason for your low GMAT quant scores.

...just a suggestion
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 10:46
Has anyone heard from Anderson? I haven't heard a peep out of them the entire time, assuming that means a ding but still rather odd.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GRE 1: 319 Q159 V160
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 10:50
silvaware wrote:
Has anyone heard from Anderson? I haven't heard a peep out of them the entire time, assuming that means a ding but still rather odd.

Same exact thing here, except that I noticed my test scores were incorrect and emailed three times. Finally, three weeks ago they emailed saying there was a glitch and they weren't ever received, so I paid $25 to have them re-sent. Other than that, I'm right there with ya!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 11:25
I've been following the thread for a while and occasionally posting, but I'm looking for some insight. I'm admittedly a novice with the application process, but am still surprised/disappointed with my results. Here are my basic stats:

- 3.4 GPA (finance, top 15 private undergraduate business school)
- GRE: 319 (83%), V160 (83%), Q159 (77%)
- First generation college grad, Ntl. Hispanic Merit Scholar, served a two-year church volunteer service mission
- One year work experience in professional sports
- 2.5 years of experience as a mgmt consultant at a top 10 global firm (not the B/B/M, but still well-known), promoted in 18 months (12 months ahead of average)
- International work experience

Results: Applied to CBS (deny without interview), Texas (waitlisted), UCLA (no word, but not holding my breath).

As I read the news of this year's Consortium fellows results, I am absolutely thrilled for everyone (legitimately) & am hoping that since the process is winding down for you (& I may need to try again next fall), the thread might be able to help me out in areas of improvement. I attended UT & CBS diversity days and felt like I developed a solid relationship with UT's adcom.

Open for any and all suggestions! Thanks in advance all.

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.51

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 12:53
Trust many of us probably don't know for certain why we got the fellowships. We can only really speculate.

I also applied to UT and was waitlisted. I thought I was a shoo-in with my technology background. BLAH.

Did you have a theme for your essays? Why were you going back to school? I'm not sure what other fellows wrote. But those I know had a clear story that they told that connected each essay and then they connected that story to the schools culture. They used a lot of real world examples to express their candidacy. Everyone seems to change majors once in school but adcoms seem to expect you to at least pretend you know where you are headed and how you are going to get there and what clubs you will join in advance.

I had to completely scratch my first UNC essay once my friend who used a consultant for hers read it. It was pretty much filler and big words. She was like, I'm an accountant and have no idea what you mean and most likely the adcom won't either. Lol.

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation. But just my thoughts based on my own experiences.

Question: why did you choose those 3 schools?

clb2015 wrote:
I've been following the thread for a while and occasionally posting, but I'm looking for some insight. I'm admittedly a novice with the application process, but am still surprised/disappointed with my results. Here are my basic stats:

- First generation college grad, Ntl. Hispanic Merit Scholar, served a two-year church volunteer service mission
- 2.5 years of experience as a mgmt consultant at a top 10 global firm (not the B/B/M, but still well-known), promoted in 18 months (12 months ahead of average)

Results: Applied to CBS (deny without interview), Texas (waitlisted), UCLA (no word, but not holding my breath).

As I read the news of this year's Consortium fellows results, I am absolutely thrilled for everyone (legitimately) & am hoping that since the process is winding down for you (& I may need to try again next fall), the thread might be able to help me out in areas of improvement. I attended UT & CBS diversity days and felt like I developed a solid relationship with UT's adcom.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:20
clb2015 wrote:
silvaware wrote:

Same exact thing here, except that I noticed my test scores were incorrect and emailed three times. Finally, three weeks ago they emailed saying there was a glitch and they weren't ever received, so I paid $25 to have them re-sent. Other than that, I'm right there with ya!

Same here, I guess the best we can expect is a waitlist w/o interview though I'm unsure if they even do that. I think we should get an email on Wednesday (according to their website April 3). I think there were definitely some r2 Consortium Students that got accepted to Anderson, so I'm not so sure we can be that optimistic. If I don't hear anything by Thursday, I plan to call them.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 10:15
Bummer on CBS -- I hope everything works out for you at McCombs or Anderson!

I don't know much about UT or Anderson, but for CBS, when did you apply? They have a plethora of consultants and investment bankers applying, so as a consultant, I imagine you are in for an uphill battle the deeper you apply into round 2 or 3 (I'm assuming you didn't apply ED).

Also, coming from a business background, why did you take the GREs and not the GMATs? Schools won't ever admit it, but I've always heard they are partial to people taking the GMATS as it shows a stronger intent for attending business school, especially if you are already coming from from a business-related background.

In case you are planning to apply for CBS again next fall, I would consider applying ED and also making strong statements about why they are a top choice for you.

Again, best of luck to you!

clb2015 wrote:

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 14:09
I'm unsurprisingly very impressed with CBS in general and love the location. I only selected schools with geographic locations that my wife & I both agreed we'd be okay living in, during school and potentially after. UCLA was of interest because I was impressed with their finance jobs on the west coast. As for Texas, I have always absolutely loved the state, the school and anything else related. Austin is a mini-hub for startups and has plenty of good VC/PE opportunities. If VC/PE didn't pan out, I'm also very interested in joining a small/medium-sized business, so it's a fit in that regard as well.

HowDidIGetHere wrote:
Trust many of us probably don't know for certain why we got the fellowships. We can only really speculate.

I also applied to UT and was waitlisted. I thought I was a shoo-in with my technology background. BLAH.

Did you have a theme for your essays? Why were you going back to school? I'm not sure what other fellows wrote. But those I know had a clear story that they told that connected each essay and then they connected that story to the schools culture. They used a lot of real world examples to express their candidacy. Everyone seems to change majors once in school but adcoms seem to expect you to at least pretend you know where you are headed and how you are going to get there and what clubs you will join in advance.

I had to completely scratch my first UNC essay once my friend who used a consultant for hers read it. It was pretty much filler and big words. She was like, I'm an accountant and have no idea what you mean and most likely the adcom won't either. Lol.

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation. But just my thoughts based on my own experiences.

Question: why did you choose those 3 schools?

Last edited by clb2015 on 01 Apr 2013, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2013, 14:09