Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 15:10
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call from Goizueta, in with Consortium fellowship! Congrats to all who heard today!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 22:29
This post received
KUDOS
kawasaki wrote:
Feel like a million bucks right now!

@kawasaki, you deserve it- congrats! Around this time last year, you wrote on the Consortium thread that you had an acceptance without scholarship dollars and were debating matriculating or holding out a year. Speaking from personal experience, I also made that hard choice last cycle and too was rewarded this year with full tuition scholarship dollars as well.

Good going to everybody getting a Consortium Fellowship! And, for those of you who didn't get a full-tuition scholarship anywhere, but know in your heart your worth more than just a mere acceptance letter-- you probably are! Hold on to hope for the future, because people of good character and persistence with the courage to hold out do get rewarded!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GPA: 3.45

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Everyone! This is my first time posting, but I have been following this thread for a long time. Congrats to all of those who have been admitted and offered fellowships! I'm jelaous in a good way. :)
I applied to Stern and Yale through the Consortium. Got into Stern, waitlisted at Yale. Waiting for fellowship notifications this week. Keeping my fingers crossed....the wait is killing me! It seems Stern hasn't started to make calls yet. I called the Consortium this morning. They said that they will be sending out some of the notifications starting tomorrow (Tuesday) by e-mail and snail mail. They said that the notifications for some people might take longer depending on the school and on the status of each person (waitlisted folks). So, the waiting continues for some of us... hopefully the news will be worth the wait.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
Just got a call from Darden! Got the Consortium!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 15:52
This post received
KUDOS
rrossjd wrote:
kawasaki wrote:
Feel like a million bucks right now!

@kawasaki, you deserve it- congrats! Around this time last year, you wrote on the Consortium thread that you had an acceptance without scholarship dollars and were debating matriculating or holding out a year. Speaking from personal experience, I also made that hard choice last cycle and too was rewarded this year with full tuition scholarship dollars as well.

Good going to everybody getting a Consortium Fellowship! And, for those of you who didn't get a full-tuition scholarship anywhere, but know in your heart your worth more than just a mere acceptance letter-- you probably are! Hold on to hope for the future, because people of good character and persistence with the courage to hold out do get rewarded!

@rrossjd - Congrats on your success this year too!.

The decision to hold out b-school last year was one of the toughest decisions of my life. But like you rightfully said, it paid off - 2 full rides and 2 partial scholarships later. I could not have stated your quote any better, and I'll restate it here - Hold on to hope for the future, because people of good character and persistence with the courage to hold out do get rewarded!.

At the end of the day folks, if you did not get the fellowship/scholarship, make the best decision for YOU, be it a do-over or taking loans.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 20:45
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for the advice. I logged in and my fellowship/membership decision was available online. Unfortunately, got membership but no fellowship from Stern. However, I did get a 1-year merit based full-tuition scholarship.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
Awarded the consortium fellowship at Stern!

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
DMNY31 wrote:
brooklyn88 wrote:
Congrats to all Consortium members and fellows. And to anyone who didn't get it best of luck in your future endeavors.

Here's some helpful info for everyone:

2013 Orientation Schedule -
http://s3.goeshow.com/cgsm/annual/2013/pdf/schedule.pdf

Consortium Hilton Group-rate hotel rooms -
https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mo ... D=14280141

Will you guys use the Consortium "reserved" hotel rooms or venture off to find a room on your own?

I was under the impression that accomodations, meals, and some of airfare were taken care of at OP. Is this incorrect?

I forgot to add in my post above that during that call, they also said that 'yes' cgsm does provide financial help towards OP and all of that information will be in the packets being mailed out.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.78
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
I believe Burgundy is correct. I was also named for 2 scholarships/fellowships. These are provided by and funded directly to the school. So I don't think you could be paid "additionally" for the second fellowship because they cover only tuition+fees, and you can't get charged or credited for double tuition.

The Consortium doesn't provide money. The schools which belong to the Consortium offer fellowships that cover their tuition along with membership into the Consoritum and all its benefits.

burgundy2015 wrote:
AtaQuye wrote:
burgundy2015 wrote:
Awarded the consortium fellowship at Stern!

Congrats Burgundy!

Question for you -- I received a fellowship upon admission from NYU Stern (on 03/04 before the "draft"), then found out I received the Consortium Fellowship this afternoon.

Do you know if these are one in the same? Or different? My admissions packet from a couple weeks ago mentioned that I was granted a full tuition scholarship but did not make any mention of receiving a Consortium Fellowship specifically, so I was curious if you were in a similar situation...

Thanks!

I think we are in the same boat- I had an unnamed full tuition+fees merit-based fellowship before... and I believe that now converts into a named Consortium fellowship (same benefits).
:good
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
cole2012 wrote:
Re: our costs associated with OP, this is from last year's thread, details taken from the booklet that's being snail-mailed to us. Hope this holds true for this year.

-Flight to OP is covered up to $300 (you pay for any amount over $300)
-you have to pay enrollment deposit to your consortium school and that also registers you for OP
-OP lodging, registration & meals are covered you will have a same gender roommate
-transport to & from airport not covered
-OP is mandatory
-fellowship will be renewed for 2nd year unless not in good academic standing
-Acceptance of fellowship & rules must be signed & returned by April 15th

I confirmed all of the above info over the phone with the consortium today. Looking forward to meeting everyone in New Orleans!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.07
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 16:08
This post received
KUDOS
In at Duke, Yale, Emory, and UNC. Got partial scholarships to Yale and Duke, and the consortium fellowship at UNC. Looks like UNC it is.

Rankings:UNC, EMORY, YALE
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 19:51
This post received
KUDOS
So I'll state the obvious: Quant.

You have a great story; solid gpa; impressive extras; shoo-in for C-membership. You do not have to have a business degree nor have spent your pre-MBA years in a traditional "businessy" path. You could be a teacher, a Marine, a firefighter, a peace corps volunteer -- all are interesting, impressive, and offer business school classes much needed perspective from someone other than banker/consultant/marketer. You need to spend a solid 2-3 months drilling yourself into oblivion on Quant which will push your GMAT up to where your Verbal thinks it should be. Another way to prove your quant chops would be to enroll right now in a Calc or Stats (college-level) class and get an A. Any local school will do.

Good luck and aim high.

josemnz83 wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm new here and will not be applying until new cycle. I'm interested in the Consortium and hope one of you is willing to give me some guidance as to what I should do from here until this fall.

First of all, I have a 3.61 gpa from Texas A&M University (BA in POLS). I'm first generation high school/college graduate. I earned my BA in two years and graduated at age 20. I have been been working as a bilingual teacher at a Title I school for the past six years. I have excellent LORs, wherein I'm credited for playing a leading role in transforming our school from failing student achievement scores (and risking state clousure) to one of the top 2 schools in our school district (out of 35). I scored a 640 on GMAT (V: 44; Q: 34). (97th and 35th percentiles, respectively). I have not taken any math level courses since taking AP Calculus in high school.

Since my professional experience is not in business, I feel that I may be at a disadvantage when it comes to gaining admission to a competitive business school. What suggestions do you all have for me to improve my chances of gaining admission? I have about 6 months to work on anything that you guys believe may help my application. Thank you and best of luck to each one of you in your applications! Congrats to all of you who are in!!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 10

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
enjoy your time @ OP guys, in at booth with dollars :) def down to NYC happy hour it up with you guys tho
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
Any econ majors out there? Applying to b-school is an example of information asymmetry at work. If you don't apply through the consortium, schools don't know where you've ranked them, who else has admitted you, or what other scholarship offers you've been offered. If you do, well, you are giving the CGSM schools access to all that information, although they still don't know anything about the non-CGSM schools you've applied to. These are tradeoffs that perhaps you may want to consider. If you are a marginal candidate throwing in reach applications to all these schools, I'd imagine your odds aren't great even if you apply outside the CGSM. (In my case, I feel as if the CGSM process worked to my advantage-- immediately after the CGSM draft, my second CGSM choice offered me a very generous fellowship.) But at the end of the day, I didn't think about any of this when I chose to apply through the CGSM. I liked that the application was streamlined; I believed in the mission of the consortium; and I liked and would have applied to the CGSM schools I selected even without the potential for a full ride. Maybe I am naive, but don't think I'm alone-- I definitely didn't have dollar signs in my eyes when I chose to apply through the CGSM!

AtaQuye wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with the blanket statement opener ("Why you should not apply through the consortium"), but I think I see what and1 is trying to say.

Perhaps and1 put a little too much emphasis on GMAT in his/her writeup and the parameters were a little strict, but what I interpret he/she is trying to say is that you really need to assess yourself as a viable candidate for your target school before applying through the consortium.

Sure, this statement applies to any applicant, but there is more at stake for the Consortium organization and its mission. They are trying to place capable minority and/or socially conscious business leaders in positions to make an impact in business and in the minority community, so leveraging their application platform is not something that should be taken lightly by applicants.

To be quite blunt, if your work experience is average at best AND you don't have a solid GPA (assuming you didn't apply from a top 50 undergraduate institution) AND your GMAT is not remotely in the ballpark of where it needs to be AND you don't have an interesting story to tell, then perhaps you are doing a disservice both to yourself and the Consortium if you are still planning on applying. I would imagine it hurts the Consortium's credibility with schools and sponsors a bit when they are forced to field applications from folks who are not really qualified. Afterall, they do have issue a publicly available "Annual Report" summarizing applicant statistics.

In my experiences I haven't encountered anyone who fits the description above, but I'm sure there are a handful of candidates out there like this applying through the Consortium.

Again, I'd reiterate that you shouldn't be defined by work experience/GMAT/GPA/extracirriculars/etc. alone and one or two less than stellar aspect of your candidate profile shouldn't necessarily dissuade you from exploring your options... however, it really all goes back to giving an honest assessment of yourself as a candidate overall and realizing that there is perhaps more skin in the game when you apply via the Consortium.

Just my two cents :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
Whoa, check out booths 708 and 710. Was not expecting them to show up!

jay4den wrote:
Different strokes for different folks...but for me ,Consortium all the way! All day any day! Looking forward to OP!! BTW not sure you guys checked yet but I saw the companies coming to OP on the site http://s3.goeshow.com/cgsm/annual/2013/exhibit_hall_map.cfm
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 16

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 14:24
This post received
KUDOS
I have enjoyed reading today's discussion. As a Mexican-American minority, I can tell you that things are not always the way they seem. Life is full of nuances and complexities. Indeed it is precisely this that makes it wonderful.

I moved to the US at age 10 without speaking a word of English. A week ago I took the GMAT and scored in the 97th percentile for Verbal. At the same time, however, I took Calculus II in high school, passed the rigorous exam, and won an award for excellent math skills. A week ago I scored in the 35th percentile for Quant. Not so straightforward right?! ; ) Does my 640 make me a marginal candidate? Some may look at my quant score and think that I'm a complete idiot who has always been bad at math. Others may mistake my score on verbal to mean that I am a US citizen. I like to think that both assumptions are wrong. Again, life is full of nuances!

Regardless of our differences, we are all in this together and I wish each of you the best in your application (Consortium or not!)

Jose
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
I'm Rd 2 Consortium and just got off the waitlist to Darden. Looks like I'm heading there as there isn't really any reason to attend Marshall over it. I would suggest to all who are interested in getting off the waitlist to contact their school of choice immediately and explain that the school is there number one choice, they will attend if accepted, and speak directly to the Consortium Rep for the school explaining you want to go to OP and need to know by April 15th if you are going to be accepted by the program.

In case anyone is interested, I explained what I did to get off the waitlist on the Darden Waitlist forum: http://gmatclub.com/forum/darden-virginia-2013-calling-all-waitlisted-applicants-149437.html#p1199373

Feel free to contact me with any questions, I'd love to help!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:06
So far the stats for this group are stellar. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of my labor from this very intense MBA preparation season. Hopefully, there will be fruit (acceptance letters, for the less metaphorically inclined amongst us).

Best of luck to all of you and looking to meet some of you down the road, if I am lucky!
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 558

Kudos [?]: 1873 [0], given: 650

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:51
Expert's post
jacorrea wrote:
So far the stats for this group are stellar. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of my labor from this very intense MBA preparation season. Hopefully, there will be fruit (acceptance letters, for the less metaphorically inclined amongst us).

Best of luck to all of you and looking to meet some of you down the road, if I am lucky!

All the best.
Hope you get into the school you want to get into.
:-)

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 12:40
Anyone applying to Darden through the Constortium? Looking to answer the "why Darden?" question - should I use the optional essay to do so?
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 12:40