Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 14:01
Invited to interview at USC, still no word from UCLA or NYU or TUCK. USC says they will notify in mid-feb.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 14:27
For those applying to Tuck, whats's the word limit you followed for your essays? Tuck website says 500 but the consortium gives you 4000 characters.

Please explain why Tuck is the best school for you, and what would you contribute to the community.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 18:01
I was invited to Super Saturday at Haas and wondering if there's anyone who is also attending and is willing to split a hotel room to mitigate costs. Please feel free to PM me
Current Student

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 12:30
I am confused on the word count for HAAS. It says 250 words on the HAAS website (http://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions ... rtium.html) but the Consortium text box where we paste the essay allows 2500 characters (which is about 500 words).

Consortium office is closed till Friday, Jan 4th. CAN ANYONE WHO APPLIED ASSIST? Thank you!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 12:58
I called the Consortium folks about the word count discrepancy for Haas, and they told me I should go by the guidelines on the Consortium application since the schools themselves select the character counts.

As a note - I followed the Consortium's guidance for my Rd 1 submission, which included Haas, and I was invited to Super Saturday.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 13:18
minkathebest wrote:
I am confused on the word count for HAAS. It says 250 words on the HAAS website but the Consortium text box where we paste the essay allows 2500 characters (which is about 500 words).

Consortium office is closed till Friday, Jan 4th. CAN ANYONE WHO APPLIED ASSIST? Thank you!!

i would stick to the 250 word limit on berkeley's site despite the character limit on the consortium app. i did and was invited for interview.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 17:25
CAapplicant2015 wrote:
minkathebest wrote:
I am confused on the word count for HAAS. It says 250 words on the HAAS website but the Consortium text box where we paste the essay allows 2500 characters (which is about 500 words).

i would stick to the 250 word limit on berkeley's site despite the character limit on the consortium app. i did and was invited for interview.

Hey guys, I didn't get an invite to Super Saturday - does that mean it's a ding for me? Out of curiosity, when is Super Saturday?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 22:30
kawasaki wrote:
CAapplicant2015 wrote:
minkathebest wrote:

Hey guys, I didn't get an invite to Super Saturday - does that mean it's a ding for me? Out of curiosity, when is Super Saturday?

I don't think you should consider that a ding. I believe someone from Haas sent an email sometime back that they "...will continue to invite candidates to interview over the next couple months up to the notification deadline of March 14".

Super Saturday is on Feb 2nd
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 12:03
the best advice i received was that "its not a ding until they tell you so". i have friends that got invited to interview at schools literally 2 days before the notification deadline. if you haven't heard anything, then you're still in the running. don't try to predict your outcome based on others. hopefully this eases a bit of the anxiety.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Corporate Finance (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 15:29
I received my Darden acceptance letter but it made no reference to a scholarship. It said something about a "welcome gift" but it didnt explain what that was.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 16:28
danjohn4real wrote:
I received my Darden acceptance letter but it made no reference to a scholarship. It said something about a "welcome gift" but it didnt explain what that was.

I did not get any mention of scholarship in my acceptance letter either. I hope there is something more to come.... any Darden R1 Constortium admits get any scholarship information
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 11:47
perfectblack999 wrote:
So I got into Tepper. The admission letter says the deposit is due Feb 15th....a month before the fellowships are announced. Is this a solid date? Does this apply to Consortium applicants?? If so that's not fair! :(

...looks like they extended reply deadline for Consortium folks to April 16.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 11:50
DMNY31 wrote:
perfectblack999 wrote:
So I got into Tepper. The admission letter says the deposit is due Feb 15th....a month before the fellowships are announced. Is this a solid date? Does this apply to Consortium applicants?? If so that's not fair! :(

Yea...seems like a bit of a Catch22. Even if Tepper's deposit is due before fellowships are announced, its still worth losing a few G's for if you end up getting a 100k fellowship at another program.

Just got an email saying they're extending the deadline to April 16th for Consortium applicants.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 11:51
jay4den wrote:
perfectblack999 wrote:

...looks like they extended reply deadline for Consortium folks to April 16.

beat me to it :-D
Current Student

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 18:30
Do you guys think Darden would mind if we used the same example in the Consortium Core Essay 1 AND the main essay topic. Their regular app only has one essay so the consortium essay is really an extra essay. Thoughts?

Share your thought process as you encountered a challenging work situation or complex problem. How did this experience change your perspective? (500 words) *
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 07:10
i think you can touch on the same topic but approach it for a diff angle -- for example in my consortium mission essay (which the schools do read, correct?) i talked about leading an organization and helping a community and briefly mentioned it but then went much more in depth on a school specific essay to that one experience.. the why what where etc and then i also talked about mentoring in one but in my optional/supplemental essay i talked about my background and the WHY i mentor and give back to my community (because of growing up on my own)

i think/hope thats fine to do :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 04:32
This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to double check. I am applying to the consortium Rd 2, and the application says its due on January 5th, midnight pacific time. Does that mean midnight Friday night (which is technically the 5th) or midnight Saturday night?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q45 V44

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 08:53
helpmehelpme wrote:
i think you can touch on the same topic but approach it for a diff angle -- for example in my consortium mission essay (which the schools do read, correct?) i talked about leading an organization and helping a community and briefly mentioned it but then went much more in depth on a school specific essay to that one experience.. the why what where etc and then i also talked about mentoring in one but in my optional/supplemental essay i talked about my background and the WHY i mentor and give back to my community (because of growing up on my own)

i think/hope thats fine to do :)

So, I wanted to reach out to you guys because I have heard mixed messages about this. NYU has told me that they do not see the Membership Essay. Does anyone here know for sure what essays are seen by the schools?

Does each school see only the core Consortium essays and their specific essays? Or do they see all of them? Or just the specific essays?

Thanks!

GMAT Official 3: Q45, V44, 730

570-to-660-to-730-my-gmat-journey-144703.html

The GMAT is beatable! Perseverance is the name of the game!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
WE: Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 09:22
bibby44 wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to double check. I am applying to the consortium Rd 2, and the application says its due on January 5th, midnight pacific time. Does that mean midnight Friday night (which is technically the 5th) or midnight Saturday night?

Thanks

I think this means midnight on Saturday night, so 3 am Saturday morning east coast time. I submitted mine after work on the due date for R1 (I guess that would be Friday in this example) and they were on time.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 11:37
Krest19 wrote:
So, I wanted to reach out to you guys because I have heard mixed messages about this. NYU has told me that they do not see the Membership Essay. Does anyone here know for sure what essays are seen by the schools?

Does each school see only the core Consortium essays and their specific essays? Or do they see all of them? Or just the specific essays?

Thanks!

I was under the impression that schools don't see the member essays until students are accepted and the univ. is doing the fellowship draft...?

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 11:37