Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 54
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 01:29
goodtogreat wrote:
jay4den wrote:
Eamers wrote:
CGSM 1 here. Just got the admissions call from Haas!!!! Seeing as Berkeley was my #1 choice I am over the moon happy right now!!!! Go Bears! :lol:


Congrats!! So are your guys planning to apply for scholarships? The deadline is Friday and each of the scholarships requires an essay. I wish we had more time


Unfortunately I can't make Days at Haas because I already have another trip that's been planned for months. But good thing is I've visited Haas twice already so I have a good feel for the culture there. Are you going?


Yeah I'm going to go because I live in the Bay so it's easy for me, but also because I'm just super excited to meet some of my new classmates! YAY!!!! And Yes, jay4den I'll also be to applying for some of the other scholarships. I know it's short notice with the first deadline being Friday for most of them but I'm just thankful to be in and have a shot at other scholarships at all. On the phone, Stephanie did say something about there being a 2nd pass for the scholarships in April so I think all CGSM's that are admitted with actually have a shot at them though. Best of luck everyone! For those of you going to Haas, PM me... I can't wait to meet you all! Cheers!

Last edited by Eamers on 27 Feb 2013, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: 2013
Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 62
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 04:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Eamers wrote:
jay4den wrote:
Eamers wrote:
CGSM 1 here. Just got the admissions call from Haas!!!! Seeing as Berkeley was my #1 choice I am over the moon happy right now!!!! Go Bears! :lol:


Congrats!! So are your guys planning to apply for scholarships? The deadline is Friday and each of the scholarships requires an essay. I wish we had more time


Yeah I'm going to go because I live in the Bay so it's easy for me, but also because I'm just super excited to meet some of my new classmates! YAY!!!! And Yes, jay4den I'll also be to applying for some of the other scholarships. I know it's short notice with the first deadline being Friday for most of them but I'm just thankful to be in and have a shot at other scholarships at all. On the phone, Stephanie did say something about there being a 2nd pass for the scholarships in April so I think all CGSM's that are admitted with actually have a shot at them though. Best of luck everyone! For those of you going to Haas, PM me... I can wait to meet you all! Cheers!


Yes, someone else gave me heads-up yesterday that we can shoot for next deadline so I'll probably go with that. I am currently not sure whether I'll make it to Days at Haas but will try my best to be there.
Current Student
Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 116
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 06:43
For NYU applicants, does anyone know their decision timeline?
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Matriculating at Stern as a Consortium Fellow !
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 119
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 06:52
urarunner2 wrote:
For NYU applicants, does anyone know their decision timeline?


I interviewed on campus over 3 weeks ago and was told "2-3 weeks" - have not heard back yet. I chose not to attend the diversity weekend because of prior travel plans.
_________________

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Intern
Intern
Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 07:42
Have any R2 UT Austin folks had trouble scheduling an interview with an alumn in the NYC area? I have emailed 5 ppl on the list of 'NYC interviewers' but no one has responded.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 54
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 07:48
soniaj wrote:
Have any R2 UT Austin folks had trouble scheduling an interview with an alumn in the NYC area? I have emailed 5 ppl on the list of 'NYC interviewers' but no one has responded.


If that's the case, I would email Shelley Clifford asap. I did a skype interview. Good luck!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 197
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 78

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:08
2
This post received
KUDOS
Hey - quick congrats to all of the CGSM Yale SOM admits! My roommate came home last night from the phonathon and was practically floating she'd had such good conversations with y'all. Ping me if you have any questions about SOM, and we hope to see you at Welcome Weekend! It's gonna be a doozy.
Current Student
Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 116
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:23
helpmehelpme wrote:
Everyone should give a list ranking of the schools they got into and were dinged from so that next years class can look back at us for some confirmation of rank sensitivity?

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm not convinced that rank sensitivity is a factor on the Adcom side. NYU was my 1st choice and Yale was my 2nd. However I interviewed at Yale 1st because I wanted to attend NYU's Perspectives day on the 22nd.

I think rank has more to do with the applicant - the higher ranked the school is for you, the more time you dedicate to the application which results in a higher quality application.
Manager
Manager
Status: 2013
Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 62
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:34
urarunner2 wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:
Everyone should give a list ranking of the schools they got into and were dinged from so that next years class can look back at us for some confirmation of rank sensitivity?

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm not convinced that rank sensitivity is a factor on the Adcom side. NYU was my 1st choice and Yale was my 2nd. However I interviewed at Yale 1st because I wanted to attend NYU's Perspectives day on the 22nd.

I think rank has more to do with the applicant - the higher ranked the school is for you, the more time you dedicate to the application which results in a higher quality application.


I agree with @urarunner2, I don't think ranking factors into admission decisions (probably only affects fellowship decision). I got into all schools I applied to and , in particular, was accepted into my least ranked school first.(and I am sure the schools see the ranking order during the admissions process)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
urarunner2 wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:
Everyone should give a list ranking of the schools they got into and were dinged from so that next years class can look back at us for some confirmation of rank sensitivity?

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm not convinced that rank sensitivity is a factor on the Adcom side. NYU was my 1st choice and Yale was my 2nd. However I interviewed at Yale 1st because I wanted to attend NYU's Perspectives day on the 22nd.

I think rank has more to do with the applicant - the higher ranked the school is for you, the more time you dedicate to the application which results in a higher quality application.



I ranked Yale: 4/5 and Cornell: 5/5...WL @ Cornell and dinged w/o interview @ Yale...Don't want to go into specifics on stats but feel as if I'd ranked them higher I would be admitted....But suppose, to your point, I also did not put as much effort into building relationships at Yale + Cornell as I did my top 3 ranked schools.
Current Student
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 52
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:57
urarunner2 wrote:
For NYU applicants, does anyone know their decision timeline?


Looking at the time gap from last year's Perspective Weekend to when people were getting accepted, looks like the wait will be between 1-3 weeks. It's rolling admissions, so it's hard to pinpoint an exact time frame.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
bftw wrote:
urarunner2 wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:
Everyone should give a list ranking of the schools they got into and were dinged from so that next years class can look back at us for some confirmation of rank sensitivity?

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm not convinced that rank sensitivity is a factor on the Adcom side. NYU was my 1st choice and Yale was my 2nd. However I interviewed at Yale 1st because I wanted to attend NYU's Perspectives day on the 22nd.

I think rank has more to do with the applicant - the higher ranked the school is for you, the more time you dedicate to the application which results in a higher quality application.



I ranked Yale: 4/5 and Cornell: 5/5...WL @ Cornell and dinged w/o interview @ Yale...Don't want to go into specifics on stats but feel as if I'd ranked them higher I would be admitted....But suppose, to your point, I also did not put as much effort into building relationships at Yale + Cornell as I did my top 3 ranked schools.


I ranked Yale 1/3 and got dinged with no interview--but I think that reflects much more on me than the rankings. I just don't think they saw me as a fit, so it didn't matter they were 1. Still waiting on Ross (2/3) and Cornell (3/3).
Manager
Manager
Joined: 14 Nov 2011
Posts: 94
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 10:45
I ranked Yale 3/4 and was dinged without interview. I was waitlisted last year when I ranked them 1/4. So in a way, the rankings do play a part in their decisions. It may not be the sole reason, but I'll argue that it sure has part to play. In my opinion, I was good enough to interview last year, and be placed on the waitlist, and mysteriously this year I wasn't even good enough to get an interview???

Either ways, congrats to ALL of you who have been admitted. You definitely deserved and earned it.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Jun 2012
Posts: 23
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 4

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 11:11
2
This post received
KUDOS
I think last year's thread had some great discussions on this. Basically everyone seemed to kind of agree that certain schools are more sensitive to how you rank them. Berkeley, Dartmouth and NYU were a few in that group. Lower ranked schools were more ok with being ranked behind these top tiered schools, for example UNC, Mccombs, Olin. I cant say myself because Ive only been accepted to one school so far (my second rank), but just based on logic it should have some weight. Why would say Yale want to decrease their yield if you rank them behind say USC, and Texas knowing that you are perfectly qualified to get an offer from those two schools?
Current Student
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 52
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 12:09
joes310 wrote:
I think last year's thread had some great discussions on this. Basically everyone seemed to kind of agree that certain schools are more sensitive to how you rank them. Berkeley, Dartmouth and NYU were a few in that group. Lower ranked schools were more ok with being ranked behind these top tiered schools, for example UNC, Mccombs, Olin. I cant say myself because Ive only been accepted to one school so far (my second rank), but just based on logic it should have some weight. Why would say Yale want to decrease their yield if you rank them behind say USC, and Texas knowing that you are perfectly qualified to get an offer from those two schools?


Very good point
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 13:44
Wait listed at Johnson. I didn't get an email, just checked randomly a few seconds ago. Come through for me, Ross! I'm going to go do some positive visualization now. The wait until March 15th is going to be brutal! :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: First-Year MBA Student
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 126
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 209

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 14:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
goodtogreat wrote:
Eamers wrote:
CGSM 1 here. Just got the admissions call from Haas!!!! Seeing as Berkeley was my #1 choice I am over the moon happy right now!!!! Go Bears! :lol:


Same here! Congrats!


Congrats to you both! I also received the call from the Executive Director of Admissions Stephanie Fujii. Her call was hands down the most personal acceptance call that I've received. She referenced particular pieces of my application that she enjoyed reading, making the entire essay process seem that much more rewarding. My hat goes off to Haas (students and admission staff) for going the extra mile in making applicants feel more like people and less like robots that write essays and fork over $200 application fees. Haas definitely earned major brownie points in my book! Hope to meet you both at upcoming Haas events!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 4
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.07
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 19:12
CGSM2 here...got in at Emory (Rank 2/3)....Yale was (3/3) for me

Posted from my mobile device Image
VP
VP
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1237
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 239

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 19:41
Expert's post
kawasaki wrote:
I ranked Yale 3/4 and was dinged without interview. I was waitlisted last year when I ranked them 1/4. So in a way, the rankings do play a part in their decisions. It may not be the sole reason, but I'll argue that it sure has part to play. In my opinion, I was good enough to interview last year, and be placed on the waitlist, and mysteriously this year I wasn't even good enough to get an interview???

Either ways, congrats to ALL of you who have been admitted. You definitely deserved and earned it.


Sure, your ranking could have had something to do with that, especially since in adcom's eyes they were your #1 choice last year and this year they dropped to #3. What leads them to believe that you'll accept their offer this year if you don't like the school as much anymore?

Beyond that, this also comes down to the applicant pool. I know Soojin at Ross has a blog post about this very topic, but getting WL-ed or accepted last year doesn't guarantee another WL or admit this year. Every year, the pool of people applying is different. Perhaps more people this year have a similar background to you or have similar goals to you.

There are a variety of factors that go into the decision-making process; from an applicant's point of view, you can't quite understand it (and in some ways, you think you've gone "backward" over the past year), but from the adcom pov, they're just trying to make the best class they can.

Best of luck with your other applications & congrats on your admits so far!
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Intern
Intern
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 24
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 21:15
Been watching this thread for a long time... Time I put in my two cents...

Applied Consortium Rd2
GMAT 710 49Q 38V AWA6 CR8
GPA3.9 strong school in the south
WE 5 yrs in a Fortune 5 (corp finance)

I got interviews at all 5 schools I applied to and the following results:
Emory: Admitted
Yale: Waitlisted after interview
Cornell: Admitted, going to Leadership weekend on Mar 1st
NYU: Awaiting response, went to Diversity day
Darden: Awaiting response, interviewed about 3 weeks ago
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2013, 21:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 47 Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) bigfernhead 898 09 Sep 2009, 06:53
Popular new posts 62 Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! shadow 2638 07 Jun 2010, 23:12
Moved topic 281 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants helpmehelpme 1109 26 Oct 2012, 00:06
Moved topic 580 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! TheSenator 2345 27 Jun 2011, 05:55
Popular new posts 93 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants CourtneyDelicia 546 24 May 2013, 07:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  26   27   28   29   30   31   32  ...  56    Next  [ 1110 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.