Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 10

Premium Member
Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 00:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Q: What is the Consortium?
A: The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management is the country’s preeminent organization for promoting diversity and inclusion in American business. Through an annual competition, The Consortium awards merit-based, full-tuition fellowships to America’s best and brightest candidates. In conjunction with our member schools, sponsoring companies, and our elite group of MBA students and alumni, The Consortium has built a forty year legacy of fostering inclusion and changing the ethnic and cultural face of American business.

Q: How does the application process for the Consortium differ from a regular school application?
A: Common Application - One application allows you to apply to up to six Consortium schools. (University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill requires that all applicants submit both The Consortium application and the UNC application)
Official site

Consortium Schools
University of California-Berkeley, Haas School of Business
University of California-Los Angeles, Anderson School of Management
Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business
Cornell University, The Johnson School
Dartmouth College, Tuck School of Business
Emory University, Goizueta Business School
Indiana University-Bloomington, Kelley School of Business
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kenan-Flagler Business School
University of Rochester, Simon Graduate School of Business
University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business
The University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business
University of Virginia, Darden School of Business
Washington University in St. Louis, Olin Business School
Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin School of Business
University of Michigan, Ross School of Business

Consortium Application Distribution

Consortium GMATClub Applicants

GMATClub Vs Latest Intake

GMATClub Detailed Applicat List

Official site
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
11 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 45 [11] , given: 10

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 14:46
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations to all of the recent admits!!! It will be an amazing and intense experience during your next 2 years.

Just my 2 cents.... so, please take it with a grain of salt.

I'm a current first year student in the consortium, and the scholarship (if offered) and the early exposure to companies (if going the corporate route) is SO helpful and life changing that I would not turn it down for a school that is "ranked" higher (within reason) and has offered you no scholarship, if perception and prestige are the key drivers of that decision.

Geographic concerns - you really didn't like the people you met at your CGSM offer school - or if you have a specific company or industry you want to work in and access is only given from a particular non-CGSM school... are real issues that amount to a major decision worth forgoing a few hundred thousand dollars.

I'm not trying to sell my school or any other; it's just that once you get in, the curtain drops and you are the one left holding the billing at the end of the show.

Nearly all of the same companies recruit from all of the top schools, the difference is some companies will pick up 10 - 15 students each from H/S/W and 4 - 10 each from X/Y/Z. But X/Y/Z has far fewer students so the ratio is not that skewed.... and these companies are still struggling to find diverse talent, so the opportunity is there from your CGSM school.

Industry perceptions seem to be more accurate, being that the east coast schools seem to have the best access to general finance, IB, health care (pharma), and east coast VC/PE; mid-west schools have best access to companies HQ'ed in mid-west, brand and product management in cpg, west coast schools are best for tech, entertainment, entrepreneurship, health care (biotech), west coast VC/PE; southern schools seem best for energy and any other category for companies located in a southern major city. Consulting is everywhere.

If you have a target company, look where their headquarters are. Company Recruiters are human too, and they can/do get lazy and like to stay "close to home" during a long recruiting season. These are just generalization around the mean, not the definition of what these schools have to offer. All of these schools in these different regions can pretty much give you what you need.

.... All that being said, if you just love a school more than the next - then definitely go there. I just rambled all of this crap off for anyone who didn't do proper research (i personally know a ton who didn't) and just wants to stunt and flash around their school name like some Bentley keys at a NBA all-star weekend party. The trajectory of success between MBA choices can be marginally different for certain industries, and if that is the case, you may want to reconsider doubling your debt/equity ratio if you don't have to.
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [7] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
Received the Call from Tepper!!!!!

Consortium calls should start rolling in.....Good Luck everyone!!!!!

:)
6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [6] , given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
in at Stern friday and Marshall today. woop woop

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [6] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call from Tuck!...Consortium fellowship....almost immediately got email from Cornell...with a sizeable scholarship.To God be the glory!!!
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Corporate Finance (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 22 [6] , given: 7

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
The Darden Graduate School of Business Administration at the University of Virginia has put tears of joy in my eyes. After two years of hard work, I am now a Consortium Fellow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments

File comment: Now I get to do what I couldn't do last year; make it rain.
obama-make-it-rain.gif
obama-make-it-rain.gif [ 782.15 KiB | Viewed 2320 times ]

5 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [5] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats on your Vandy scholarship and interview invites with Cornell and Yale! However, I would caution you from labeling Darden as "a trap" or "sketchy" considering their website clearly states "Candidates living in the U.S. must interview on the Darden Grounds with a member of the Admissions staff or Student Admissions Committee."

One could assume the use of the term "candidate" encompasses every single person applying, Consortium or otherwise. I think that language is clear enough for even a lawyer to understand. :P
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 17 [5] , given: 7

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 12:12
This post received
KUDOS
Finally got my first acceptance... In at Marshall! Wow it feels good!
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [5] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
Got my first acceptance! IN AT STERN!!!! God is GOOD! All those waiting on Stern, you can check your status online. I didn't even wait for an email I've been checking multiple times a day since I interviewed haha! Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear.

Submitted app 1/5
Interview Invite 1/18
Interview 2/23
Acceptance 3/4
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.98
WE: Underwriter (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 10 [5] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call from Tepper today! I received the Consortium Membership and Fellowship! Today more than makes up being waitlisted w/ interview from Stern yesterday. :-D
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 8 [5] , given: 9

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call from Goizueta! Fellowship!
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [5] , given: 24

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 19:24
This post received
KUDOS
Feel like a million bucks right now!
Attachments

obama-make-it-rain.gif
obama-make-it-rain.gif [ 782.15 KiB | Viewed 2350 times ]

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [5] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
Re: our costs associated with OP, this is from last year's thread, details taken from the booklet that's being snail-mailed to us. Hope this holds true for this year.

-Flight to OP is covered up to $300 (you pay for any amount over $300)
-you have to pay enrollment deposit to your consortium school and that also registers you for OP
-OP lodging, registration & meals are covered you will have a same gender roommate
-transport to & from airport not covered
-OP is mandatory
-fellowship will be renewed for 2nd year unless not in good academic standing
-Acceptance of fellowship & rules must be signed & returned by April 15th
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit

Kudos [?]: 23 [5] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 00:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am happy to have defied just about every stat in your lengthy opinion. I think people should just follow their guts and have confidence in their choices. Yes, everyone out there has their opinions and is entitled to them... the smart people of the world know how to take gross vocalizations like the one below with a a grain of salt. Is there some truth there, I'm sure there is. But if you stay true to yourself, acknowledge your weaknesses, capitalization on your strengths, and have the courage to be vulnerable, ANYTHING is possible!

If your mission aligns with that of the Consortium, why not apply via CGSM??? I was concerned about this initially with Haas, but in speaking with several admissions officers early in my thought process, they highly encouraged me to apply via Consortium over Haas' regular round 1 period. According to the post below, I never should have A) been accepted to Haas via The Consortium and B) certainly not have earned a Consortium Fellowship. Standardized testing isn't for everyone... it certainly isn't my forté. Luckily I did my research and learned to articulate my passions and strengths through my application process. I took the GMAT 3 times, still came out "less than marginal," but kept my head up and forged on. As for my two-cents, avoid trying to "game" the system with rankings, etc. Know what you want and rank accordingly...be genuine throughout the entire process (and throughout your life for that matter). While the "Denzel's" of the world may be an obvious, superficial choice, believe it or not, schools are also looking for depth and balance. During my application process, one of Haas' leading professors told me that it is often the admits with lower GMAT scores and/or who were originally wait-listed who went on to be the leaders of their class. Let's hear it for the underdogs!
:banana
My stats:
African-American female
GMAT: 630
GPA: 3.2 (from Stanford though if that helps)
Zero years of traditional work experience (but 5 years otherwise + volunteer work)
take that "Denzel's" of the application process (and other doubters)... ick my elementary teachers used to always coo that my dad looks like Denzel Washington. Ewww. In the future, I will choose a different name. But to those with "marginal" scores and below... more power to ya! Stay true to yourself, have confidence in what you want to achieve, and do the work to make your dreams come true. ... be better than just a statistic

Can't wait til OP!

and1 wrote:
Why you should not apply through the consortium

That title is sure to ruffle a lot of feathers. Relax. I am not here to bash the consortium. I think the consortium has a wonderful mission and I admire the work that they do. After students are admitted to graduate school, the organization fosters an incredible network for minority students. The Orientation Program is awesome, the opportunity to network with employers (and possibly land internships) before the start of the MBA program is pretty remarkable. All in all, the work of the consortium is a net plus for society and is increasing the number of minorities in the ranks of management.

But is it right for you? That's the question.

Applicants that apply through the consortium are lured in by dollar signs. . We want the money. We want those b-schools to “make it rain”. When people first hear about the consortium they generally have the following reaction: "So you are telling me I can save over a thousand dollars, apply through one common application, have my recommenders fill out one form AND compete for a full-tuition scholarship!? I'd be a fool to miss this opportunity!"

So with that said, here are my 3 guidelines for applying through the consortium

1. Don't apply through the consortium if you are a marginal candidate.

My lengthy logic

Many of you have been the "only one" for sometime. The only one in your class in college. The only one in your office. The only one at a non-diversity MBA event. After being the only one for so long, you might think you are the "only one" (or one of the only ones) applying to business school. Well that's just not true. The positive thing is that there are many talented minority applicants applying to business schools.

Here are some stats from GMAT for African Americans. Data on Hispanics is slightly higher.

• Nearly 72% of African American Test takers score below 500.
• In 2010 940 African American test-takers scored over 600. 461 scored over 650, 175 scored over 700 (Out of 9,214)

The data is sobering, but 940 African Americans is waaay more than enough to go around for top MBA programs. If your GMAT score is below 600 you are most likely not going to be in the top echelon for a consortium program and should apply to the school directly. (there are exceptions of course).

Keep in mind that the consortium is pretty much a scholarship competition. 70% of admitted consortium students get scholarships (of some kind). 30% don’t. So scholarships are given out more often than not for admitted consortium students and schools generally don’t give scholarships to marginal candidates.

Don’t ever forget this! When you apply through the consortium you are deeming yourself scholarship worthy. If you are not scholarship worthy you should think twice about applying through the consortium.

The consortium is a very easy way for schools to attract top minority students to their programs with scholarships. If you have an above average GMAT and GPA with very few red flags, the consortium is a Godsend. Do it! If you are a “chance” candidate with some hiccups on your record don’t risk admittance to school in pursuit of the convenience of a streamlined application and the lure of a scholarship.

Now the smarty-pants may counter with, “hey miss random woman from the internet, if a candidate is marginal he/she would be denied no matter which application method is used”.

I disagree.

Schools take chances all the time. They sometimes overlook lower GMAT scores and questionable GPA’s. I just believe they are less likely to do this for consortium candidates and more likely to do it for candidates that apply directly. Remember 70% of admitted consortium students get some form of scholarship.

You will hear forever and ever that there is no advantage or disadvantage in applying to The Consortium versus applying directly a consortium school. The same review process and admissions standards apply for both pools of applicants.

This is only slightly true.

Lot’s of folks are going to disagree with me here, but here it goes. When you apply through the consortium you send a clear message, “My number 1 concern is money. My decision to matriculate to your school is partly determined by how much money you give me. Here are my six choices, one of ya’ll need to make it rain.” Now if you got a 3.6 and a 720 you can have that swagger, but if you don’t….you can’t afford it.

By applying through the consortium and sending this message you are in direct conflict with the schools number 1 concern. Rankings. You care about scholarships, they care about yield. The school wants to offer admission to candidates that will matriculate. Every school knows that candidates will apply to more than one business school, but they still want to feel like the bell of the ball, like they are the only one. They want to be wined and dined. By applying through the consortium you have revealed yourself. Sure you wine and dine them, but in the back of their minds they know that they are not the only one because on the first page of your consortium application is a rank of all of the other schools you applied to for them to see. !Yes they see them! To add insult to injury they ask for the names of the non-consortium schools you are applying to.

They were ok with this open relationship in theory, but now they have seen all the dirty business and believe me it is on their mind. Now if you are Denzel Washington with your 720 and 3.6 the admissions officers will follow their emotions and swoon all over you. A couple of schools may even give you scholarships because they want you so bad. If you are Evelyn Lozada with a 590 and 3.2, not so much. Applications are often pooled from both application rounds so schools can cherry pick the very best candidates. If a school is going to be in awkward open relationship they are going to take their time and pick the Denzel’s of the group.

Application readers are human and as much as they try to assure you (and will step it up after this article makes its way around) that all applications are treated the same, its tough for that to happen.

Have you ever sat back and thought about why a school would join the consortium? Sure they want more minority applicants and students, but think about this from a business perspective. The consortium is a way for schools to run up chart on the number of applicants and protect the yield on the backend with scholarships.

So what does this mean for marginal candidates? If you are a marginal candidate you need a fully customized application to get that extra look. If adcom is going to take a chance, they want to make sure that the candidate is a slam-dunk for their yield. Consortium candidates are not slam-dunks for the yield.

2. Don’t apply to a school via the consortium unless you believe you will be in the top echelon of candidates applying to that school. (e.g. apply to your safety schools via consortium and apply to your reach schools directly) If you are a minority candidate in the 700+ range, consider every school on the consortium a safety school. If you are in the 650-700 range all consortium schools are safeties except for maybe Yale, Haas, Tuck, Stern. (Very broad stroke here)

3. Don’t forget about the non-consortium schools other than H/S/W.
Because the consortium lures many minority candidates in, you have the potential to be “the only one” (or one of the only ones) in non-consortium schools in the top 25. If you put in that extra work you could be Evelyn at Booth or Duke. I have seen people get rejected from 6 consortium schools (Madison, Darden, Goizueta, Kelley) and get into Booth or Duke. It’s possible, but it costs some more money and time to throw your hat in the ring.

Non Consortium Schools (MIT, Kellogg, Booth, Columbia, Duke, Carlson, Foster, McDonough, Scheller, Fisher, Mendoza)

Consortium Reforms

Below is my vision of a reformed consortium process for candidates.

- Candidates submit core essay on the CGSM website and select and rank the 1-6 schools that they want to apply to. Candidates pay regular consortium tiered pricing and receive fee waiver codes for use through the school’s application system.
- Candidates apply directly to the school and use the fee waiver codes upon submitting the application. “Consortium deadlines” are eliminated. Consortium candidates can only apply in the 1st or 2nd round.
- Schools notify consortium candidates on regular decision day with notification of aid packages. Admissions packages note that if you apply through the consortium your aid package is subject to change.
- Post decision “the draft” online system activates. Consortium sends a list of eligible consortium candidates that applied to the school and meet the consortium standards.
- School updates draft system with their admits and denys.
- School reps work within the deadlines to manage the “virtual draft”
- School “updates” the aid packages of admitted candidates that are subsequently awarded the Fellowship.

This reform is indeed a long shot, but I think it is the only way to restore the perception of integrity into the process.

If you got a Consortium Scholarship you deserve a pat on the back. As I visited schools this year and attended diversity weekends I was so impressed with the caliber of attendees. I know as I embark on my MBA and join this great network I will continue to learn from all of you.

This just needed to be said.

See you at OP ☺
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [4] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 15:27
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call from Haas! :-D

Work Experience: 3.5 years in tech consulting
College: 3.5 GPA in engineering from top state school
GMAT: 690
Demographics: Hispanic Female

As a note, I ranked Haas 1st (out of 3).
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [4] , given: 37

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
GOT THE CALL! ACCEPTED! Then I yelled "oh shit!" for 3 minutes while talking to Adcom.

Truly humbled.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit

Kudos [?]: 23 [4] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
AAHHH!!! Just finished screaming and blowing out the ear drums of Stephanie Fujii!! I was admitted to Haas about 2 weeks ago and just got the Fellowship call!!!! :shock: I could not be happier right now!!! Berkeley-Haas was my clear, #1 choice. Feeling beyond blessed!!!!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 15 [4] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
minkathebest wrote:
Cane4life86 wrote:
Haas ===== Calls started 3/12
UCLA ===== Calls started 3/14
Tepper ===== Calls started 3/12
Johnson ===== Calls started 3/12
Tuck ===== Calls started 3/15
Goizueta ===== Calls started 3/15
Kelley ===== Calls started 3/12
Ross ===== Calls started 3/13
UNC =====
Simon =====
Marshall =====
Darden =====
Olin =====
Wisconsin =====
Yale ===== Calls started 3/13
McCombs ===== Calls started 3/14
Stern =====

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Just got the call from UCLA, Consortium fellowship offered!!!!!!! So excited, I can't even breathe!!!!!!
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.78
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 18 [4] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 04:55
This post received
KUDOS
Finally got the Consortium decision by logging in to check online (said available as of today).

I received membership into the Consortium! NYU Stern was my only Consortium school choice, and they also named me a Faculty Scholar (Scott Gallaway) and a Forte Fellow. Full tuition and fees covered for both years.

Beyond blessed.

Now to hear from the last two schools I applied for. I love Stern so this may not be super hard at the end of the day, especially with all the great networks I'll be a part of at NYU!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 21:01
This post received
KUDOS
Why you should not apply through the consortium

That title is sure to ruffle a lot of feathers. Relax. I am not here to bash the consortium. I think the consortium has a wonderful mission and I admire the work that they do. After students are admitted to graduate school, the organization fosters an incredible network for minority students. The Orientation Program is awesome, the opportunity to network with employers (and possibly land internships) before the start of the MBA program is pretty remarkable. All in all, the work of the consortium is a net plus for society and is increasing the number of minorities in the ranks of management.

But is it right for you? That's the question.

Applicants that apply through the consortium are lured in by dollar signs. . We want the money. We want those b-schools to “make it rain”. When people first hear about the consortium they generally have the following reaction: "So you are telling me I can save over a thousand dollars, apply through one common application, have my recommenders fill out one form AND compete for a full-tuition scholarship!? I'd be a fool to miss this opportunity!"

So with that said, here are my 3 guidelines for applying through the consortium

1. Don't apply through the consortium if you are a marginal candidate.

My lengthy logic

Many of you have been the "only one" for sometime. The only one in your class in college. The only one in your office. The only one at a non-diversity MBA event. After being the only one for so long, you might think you are the "only one" (or one of the only ones) applying to business school. Well that's just not true. The positive thing is that there are many talented minority applicants applying to business schools.

Here are some stats from GMAT for African Americans. Data on Hispanics is slightly higher.

• Nearly 72% of African American Test takers score below 500.
• In 2010 940 African American test-takers scored over 600. 461 scored over 650, 175 scored over 700 (Out of 9,214)

The data is sobering, but 940 African Americans is waaay more than enough to go around for top MBA programs. If your GMAT score is below 600 you are most likely not going to be in the top echelon for a consortium program and should apply to the school directly. (there are exceptions of course).

Keep in mind that the consortium is pretty much a scholarship competition. 70% of admitted consortium students get scholarships (of some kind). 30% don’t. So scholarships are given out more often than not for admitted consortium students and schools generally don’t give scholarships to marginal candidates.

Don’t ever forget this! When you apply through the consortium you are deeming yourself scholarship worthy. If you are not scholarship worthy you should think twice about applying through the consortium.

The consortium is a very easy way for schools to attract top minority students to their programs with scholarships. If you have an above average GMAT and GPA with very few red flags, the consortium is a Godsend. Do it! If you are a “chance” candidate with some hiccups on your record don’t risk admittance to school in pursuit of the convenience of a streamlined application and the lure of a scholarship.

Now the smarty-pants may counter with, “hey miss random woman from the internet, if a candidate is marginal he/she would be denied no matter which application method is used”.

I disagree.

Schools take chances all the time. They sometimes overlook lower GMAT scores and questionable GPA’s. I just believe they are less likely to do this for consortium candidates and more likely to do it for candidates that apply directly. Remember 70% of admitted consortium students get some form of scholarship.

You will hear forever and ever that there is no advantage or disadvantage in applying to The Consortium versus applying directly a consortium school. The same review process and admissions standards apply for both pools of applicants.

This is only slightly true.

Lot’s of folks are going to disagree with me here, but here it goes. When you apply through the consortium you send a clear message, “My number 1 concern is money. My decision to matriculate to your school is partly determined by how much money you give me. Here are my six choices, one of ya’ll need to make it rain.” Now if you got a 3.6 and a 720 you can have that swagger, but if you don’t….you can’t afford it.

By applying through the consortium and sending this message you are in direct conflict with the schools number 1 concern. Rankings. You care about scholarships, they care about yield. The school wants to offer admission to candidates that will matriculate. Every school knows that candidates will apply to more than one business school, but they still want to feel like the bell of the ball, like they are the only one. They want to be wined and dined. By applying through the consortium you have revealed yourself. Sure you wine and dine them, but in the back of their minds they know that they are not the only one because on the first page of your consortium application is a rank of all of the other schools you applied to for them to see. !Yes they see them! To add insult to injury they ask for the names of the non-consortium schools you are applying to.

They were ok with this open relationship in theory, but now they have seen all the dirty business and believe me it is on their mind. Now if you are Denzel Washington with your 720 and 3.6 the admissions officers will follow their emotions and swoon all over you. A couple of schools may even give you scholarships because they want you so bad. If you are Evelyn Lozada with a 590 and 3.2, not so much. Applications are often pooled from both application rounds so schools can cherry pick the very best candidates. If a school is going to be in awkward open relationship they are going to take their time and pick the Denzel’s of the group.

Application readers are human and as much as they try to assure you (and will step it up after this article makes its way around) that all applications are treated the same, its tough for that to happen.

Have you ever sat back and thought about why a school would join the consortium? Sure they want more minority applicants and students, but think about this from a business perspective. The consortium is a way for schools to run up chart on the number of applicants and protect the yield on the backend with scholarships.

So what does this mean for marginal candidates? If you are a marginal candidate you need a fully customized application to get that extra look. If adcom is going to take a chance, they want to make sure that the candidate is a slam-dunk for their yield. Consortium candidates are not slam-dunks for the yield.

2. Don’t apply to a school via the consortium unless you believe you will be in the top echelon of candidates applying to that school. (e.g. apply to your safety schools via consortium and apply to your reach schools directly) If you are a minority candidate in the 700+ range, consider every school on the consortium a safety school. If you are in the 650-700 range all consortium schools are safeties except for maybe Yale, Haas, Tuck, Stern. (Very broad stroke here)

3. Don’t forget about the non-consortium schools other than H/S/W.
Because the consortium lures many minority candidates in, you have the potential to be “the only one” (or one of the only ones) in non-consortium schools in the top 25. If you put in that extra work you could be Evelyn at Booth or Duke. I have seen people get rejected from 6 consortium schools (Madison, Darden, Goizueta, Kelley) and get into Booth or Duke. It’s possible, but it costs some more money and time to throw your hat in the ring.

Non Consortium Schools (MIT, Kellogg, Booth, Columbia, Duke, Carlson, Foster, McDonough, Scheller, Fisher, Mendoza)

Consortium Reforms

Below is my vision of a reformed consortium process for candidates.

- Candidates submit core essay on the CGSM website and select and rank the 1-6 schools that they want to apply to. Candidates pay regular consortium tiered pricing and receive fee waiver codes for use through the school’s application system.
- Candidates apply directly to the school and use the fee waiver codes upon submitting the application. “Consortium deadlines” are eliminated. Consortium candidates can only apply in the 1st or 2nd round.
- Schools notify consortium candidates on regular decision day with notification of aid packages. Admissions packages note that if you apply through the consortium your aid package is subject to change.
- Post decision “the draft” online system activates. Consortium sends a list of eligible consortium candidates that applied to the school and meet the consortium standards.
- School updates draft system with their admits and denys.
- School reps work within the deadlines to manage the “virtual draft”
- School “updates” the aid packages of admitted candidates that are subsequently awarded the Fellowship.

This reform is indeed a long shot, but I think it is the only way to restore the perception of integrity into the process.

If you got a Consortium Scholarship you deserve a pat on the back. As I visited schools this year and attended diversity weekends I was so impressed with the caliber of attendees. I know as I embark on my MBA and join this great network I will continue to learn from all of you.

This just needed to be said.

See you at OP ☺
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2013, 21:01