Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 13:34
congrats
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 16:32
Just got an email updating my application status to Under Review for R3
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell University
Followers: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 23:23
Congrats solid! So are you planning on the dual-degree MBA/MRE or the traditional 2 year MBA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2008, 11:40
There's finally been some activity on the Cornell front...
I submitted my app for the Jan deadline (R3).

The app was "Under Review" for a looong time and I finally got my interview invite about an hour and a half ago !

Here's my profile...
27/Male/Indian/Engineer/IT/2 Yrs(India)+4 Yrs (USA) at matriculation
GMAT:720-AWA 6.0
TOEFL iBT:118

I've been directed to call an admissions office person to schedule my interview. Any idea what options Cornell offers as far as interviews go? Just curious to know before I make the call.

Hang in there folks...it has begun so we can hope more activity in the coming days.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 04:25
solidcolor wrote:
Mid night here = mid day there. They told me that the AdCom meets this morning and will announce the result thereafter...

hm...still no news?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 06:26
kk.iyer wrote:
There's finally been some activity on the Cornell front...
I submitted my app for the Jan deadline (R3).

The app was "Under Review" for a looong time and I finally got my interview invite about an hour and a half ago !

Here's my profile...
27/Male/Indian/Engineer/IT/2 Yrs(India)+4 Yrs (USA) at matriculation
GMAT:720-AWA 6.0
TOEFL iBT:118

I've been directed to call an admissions office person to schedule my interview. Any idea what options Cornell offers as far as interviews go? Just curious to know before I make the call.

Hang in there folks...it has begun so we can hope more activity in the coming days.

when did you submit?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 07:35
I submitted it on 01/05
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 07:24
Aceman, I was admitted. They called me up on Feb 06 after the AdCom's meeting to announce the result. They told me I was admitted with Forté scholarship at 40K for two years. The offer letter has been mailed via FedEx, and I expect it will arrive some time next week. I'd love to see what it says. On the phone I was too happy to listen into details. :oops:

The interview was an interesting experience to me. I was lucky to interview with Ann Richards. And luckily I read svrider's list of questions before interview. Ann Richards is a sharp interviewer. Although I was prepared, she picked some points in my "stories" and started to asked in-depth questions.

For example, when I was telling her about my traveling experience and how I got to know a place, not only with a tourist point of view but also with a potential investor point of view, she asked me how I got to know the place that way, how I realized the potential, etc. And then I had to elaborate more in my explanation, more detailed, more technical or how I conducted market surveys in most provinces I've visited, how I came to learn from economic indicators and other statistics, how I learned their urban planning and stuff...

PaulK wrote:
Congrats solid! So are you planning on the dual-degree MBA/MRE or the traditional 2 year MBA?

Dear PaulK,

Dual degree would be ideal, but I'm thinking about the tuition fees: If I am not going to receive any more financial aids, then dual degree would be financially impossible.

I've just received an email from Johnson, asking for Declaration of Finances Information: Two-Year MBA: $133,104. I knew the amount, but the time I was applying, I hardly thought that I would reach to this point: at that time, the total amount didn't mean much to me. Now it has come in real term, it becomes a shock. :oops:

133k-40k = 93k. Biggest question right now: How do I finance this much? Truly I didn't think enough when I started my MBA dream.

I am now thinking of asking for more Financial Aids and then cover the rest with loans. Any suggestion?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 03:27
congrats dude...awesome job with the scholarship...I interviewed Jan 21...still no news...jesus i wonder what they're up to. It's already 1 WHOLE MONTH since the original final decision deadline !!
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 11:07
Round 4 -

Any remote chance for a Indian applicant ?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 10:33
Hi all. I am actually a R3 applicant to Cornell, but things have happened so fast, I haven't had a chance to give an adequate update.

I received an email about mid-January inviting me for an interview. I visited this past week and had a great experience. Students there are incredibly nice and Ithaca is beautiful. It was between 5-20 degrees the whole time though, so can't say I spent much time outdoors. Even though I'm a R3 applicant, they did apologize while I was there to other people who were R2 applicants just now being interviewed. So it sounds like there's some overlap.

Now I wait until March. Good luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 15:42
Dear PaulK, good news! And let's wait for more good news to come!

You said it was 5-20 degrees? I saw on weather forecast that it was always below 0... Btw, whom did you interview with?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 15:49
Aceman, I suggest you make a phone call to Admissions Office. Sometimes it's too slow over the email, but a call will solve the problem.

Last few days I have been waiting for official information about my Forté fellowship. I expected it to arrive together with the offer letter (FedEx-ed to me the day before yesterday). It didn't though. So I had to email the person in charge. Finally last night they confirmed that "Yes you are selected as a Forté fellow... We apologize for the delay..." I do feel things are a bit messy, but it's understandable. My job now is the same busy and messy, and Clients' patience and tolerance is especially appreciated.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 16:49
solidcolor wrote:
Dear PaulK, good news! And let's wait for more good news to come!

You said it was 5-20 degrees? I saw on weather forecast that it was always below 0... Btw, whom did you interview with?

solid, with wind chill, it was certainly well below 0. Everything turned to ice. My interview was with a student, which was an interesting experience. I didn't get to meet Ann Richards, but I met other students who were interviewing with her, so I told them I had heard (from you) that she is very comfortable to interview with.

Now just waiting to hear!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 08:33
solidcolor wrote:
Aceman, I suggest you make a phone call to Admissions Office. Sometimes it's too slow over the email, but a call will solve the problem.

Last few days I have been waiting for official information about my Forté fellowship. I expected it to arrive together with the offer letter (FedEx-ed to me the day before yesterday). It didn't though. So I had to email the person in charge. Finally last night they confirmed that "Yes you are selected as a Forté fellow... We apologize for the delay..." I do feel things are a bit messy, but it's understandable. My job now is the same busy and messy, and Clients' patience and tolerance is especially appreciated.

Oh I have called the office many many times. They've told me the same answer the past 2 weeks..."we'll get back to you as soon as we can"
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 16:19
Hey guys just got an interview invite. But they are asking me to schedule an on campus inteview, which is out the question. Do they offer options for alumni or phone interviews.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 18:06
Solidcolor and svrider - thanks for the interview feedback/info.

I got an invite for R3 this week as well.

tsaditya - did you talk to adcom's yet about the possibility phone interview, etc? I've been playing phone tag with them to schedule, but may have an issue if they want it on site as well (especially as I'm assuming they'll want it done quick with the decision date looming in a couple weeks).
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 18:27
Well i just got the invite today morning. There is no way i can go on-campus. I am in Singapore and do not even have a US Visa. Hopefully they are ok with alumni or phone interview.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 23:23
PaulK, I had interview on 28 Jan, was told to expect their call on Feb 01, but didn't hear anything until Feb 05. On Feb 04 (the next Monday) I called the Admissions Office and was told that the AdCom would meet on Feb 05. The calls to Admissions Office was informative and helpful.

Aceman, I don't know about your case, but did you tell them your name, your date of interview and stuff? I think with this information, they will be willing to check the status, or at least when the AdCom will review you application.

tsaditya and wallspotter, congratulations on the interview invitations. Don't worry, I was on the same boat and had a phone interview. I was worried like you now when I received the invitation email, but I called the guy in charge (the one sent you the email), he explained to me clearly the possibilities, and he offered a phone interview (given that he couldn't find any alum in my country or any nearby country!). You may have an interview over the phone, or an interview with an alum. Either way is good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 02:58
yeah they have all my information. Just keep telling me to wait. I am extremely annoyed by this.
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2008, 02:58