Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 08:20
solidcolor wrote:
Family issues... my Mom will be living here alone, she's old not very healthy. Plus.. hic hic.. she wants me to get married and settle down with a family, not hanging around with career any more!

:P

oh i see, so its not another school eh?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 08:21
chimaki wrote:
rajpdsouza wrote:
chimaki wrote:
i interviewed on thursday and my app went to Application Complete status today. anyone know how long from here to a decision? am i waiting till everyone hears?

Are you an R2 or R3 applicant?

3. didn't know there were 2s still interviewing.

R2 is done, i was the last one :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2008, 14:16
I have my interview (R3) with an alum tomorrow...any tips?

The guy has a profile which is almost exactly same as mine...where he was is where I am and where he is, is where I want to be post MBA. I dunno if it is good or bad but he is also from my homeland...India.

Many say that is not so good (something about Desis interviewing other Desis...) but I thought that I'd take that gamble...
Views anyone?????
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2008, 18:13
I'm an R3 applicant. I just got the interview invite today. I'm interested in visiting for a campus interview... will it also increase my chances for admission? What's the biggest difference between on campus and off campus interview for Cornell?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2008, 07:53
R3 invited to interview today.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2008, 09:30
Congrats all on the invites.

I have my interview tomorrow on campus (after a morning of never ending flights and layovers!).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2008, 10:40
Hello Wallspotter,

Congrats. Looking forward to your debrief. I'm about to schedule mine now...will probably go for Monday next week.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2008, 08:21
Likewise, would really appreciate if you could debrief us on the campus interview. I am about to schedule mine for end of March. Thanks!

Of course, congrats to you both on the invite!! :lol:
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2008, 14:00
pretty conversational interview. Real brief resume walk through, then goals, why MBA, why johnson. Lots of questions on leadership and style and teamwork and style. What would I contribute and what clubs would I focus on as well as the "dreaded" what other schools have you applied to and how are they similiar question rounded it out.

Spoke with adcoms as well - as everyone knows the app volume is through the roof this year. They are reading and meeting like crazy and are trying to churn them out. It sounded like some apps still need to be read and it sounded like the deadline may be pushed (but that is my guess they did not state that to me).

After visiting Johnson again - I loved it even more. For me at least it is a great fit overall (plus I actually like snow and cold!)

Hopefully well find out soon and good luck on your interviews as well!
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 14:26
Withdrawing from Cornell.

Just not the right fit for me... the ~5% Asia placement average is the main factor.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 19:20
Thanks togafoot. That hopefully opens up one more place for those of us still looking for that first admit.

Any idea if Cornell will release R3 results on Mar 5th or will it be much delayed.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 20:30
Phew...it's finally done.. took me 2 hrs of driving in LA traffic and 3 hrs of driving back home but I think it was worth it.

THe interview lasted exactly an hour and was very conversational. It wasn't the standard interview...here's the debrief.
The guy started off by asking in-depth questions about my current job and company. Q's like why was my company doing X vs Y and would I approve of it if I was at the top making those decisions.
He then went into details of what i liked about my previous jobs and why I see the need for an MBA.
We spoke at length about my career aspirations. When he learned that my post MBA goal was to get into strategy consulting he had me create a fictitious problem and asked me how I would tackle it.
He even asked me where I see the software and technology industry going in the next few years.
Finally he asked a few questions on why cornell and if I had visited the campus.
He also asked me what other schools I was applying to and we finished it up with a few q's that I had for him.

All in all I thought the interview went well, at least I didn't think i said anything to dissuade the adcom.

Followed with an email to him and a call to the adcom. They've advised me that if my interviewer does his stuff in the next few days, i might get a decision by the 5th of March...in 2-3 days...

Fingers crossed now..
Thank you solid for your debrief it helped a lot.

Cheers

kk.iyer wrote:
I have my interview (R3) with an alum tomorrow...any tips?

The guy has a profile which is almost exactly same as mine...where he was is where I am and where he is, is where I want to be post MBA. I dunno if it is good or bad but he is also from my homeland...India.

Many say that is not so good (something about Desis interviewing other Desis...) but I thought that I'd take that gamble...
Views anyone?????
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 06:35
Good to here that KK!! I wish you all the best!!

Togafoot, 5% placement in Asia, that doesn't say Asia does not love Cornelliers. It is possible that not many Cornelliers choose Asia for their career. :P
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 07:35
solidcolor wrote:
Asia does not love Cornelliers.

That sounds vaguely dirty :shock: :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 07:48
togafoot wrote:
withdrawing from Cornell.

Just not the right fit for me... the ~5% Asia placement average is the main factor.

I am also interested in this as well....i know that Cornell has a strong reputation in Asia due to its Ivy League prestige, but what about actual placement into the top companies in Asia? What about banking and consulting in Asia? Would there be any problems finding a good job in Asia after graduating from Cornell?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 14:53
The main reason is my acceptance into HKUST whose students have been recruited by the top IB`s and Consultancies and other `top companies`, therefore the cost benefit of spending extra $$$ and time to go to Cornell (HKUST is 17 months) was not justified.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 20:35
togafoot wrote:
The main reason is my acceptance into HKUST whose students have been recruited by the top IB`s and Consultancies and other `top companies`, therefore the cost benefit of spending extra $$$ and time to go to Cornell (HKUST is 17 months) was not justified.

Are you sure about that decision?? Cornell is very well respected in Asia including HK, and from my understanding HKUST is still a local school where people go if they cannot get into the top US schools (no offense to anyone). I believe Cornell is still a much better option compared to the Asia schools (not including INSEAD singapore).

In addition, you might want to do a more careful research on career placement. Every school in the world claims McKinsey recruits at their school, but how many actually get hired as associates with global pay? Same with all the otehr top firms. I don't know too much about HKUST, but I remember glancing briefly at their profile and wasn't impressed with their post MBA salary info, I believe most people still get only local pay. Their post-MBA salary is something like HALF of what Cornell's is!! I'm sure whatever job a HKUST grad can get, a Cornell grad can easily get as well, plus more.

All in all, I think an investment in a Ivy League education will always be a good one, please think twice before giving up an offer from Cornell for HKUST!!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 23:43
aceman626 wrote:
togafoot wrote:

Are you sure about that decision?? Cornell is very well respected in Asia including HK, and from my understanding HKUST is still a local school where people go if they cannot get into the top US schools (no offense to anyone). I believe Cornell is still a much better option compared to the Asia schools (not including INSEAD singapore).

In addition, you might want to do a more careful research on career placement. Every school in the world claims McKinsey recruits at their school, but how many actually get hired as associates with global pay? Same with all the otehr top firms. I don't know too much about HKUST, but I remember glancing briefly at their profile and wasn't impressed with their post MBA salary info, I believe most people still get only local pay. Their post-MBA salary is something like HALF of what Cornell's is!! I'm sure whatever job a HKUST grad can get, a Cornell grad can easily get as well, plus more.

All in all, I think an investment in a Ivy League education will always be a good one, please think twice before giving up an offer from Cornell for HKUST!!

Quite a few go to China and other areas of Asia which are paid less. The reputation of HKUST in Finance is particularly strong, a lot of people in the USA schools choose a semester in HKUST due to the strong professors. Their EMBA is number 1 in the world (joint course with Kellogg), and the same professors which teach the EMBA also teach the MBA. Also, my main consideration post-mba is what i will bring to the table with my pre-mba credentials as well. Cornell's undergraduate may have a stronger reputation, but i do honestly believe that in Asia, the HKUST brand is developing strongly and improving and i will get more options in Asia. The rankings helps its reputation... but doesn't factor into my choice, more the feedback I'm getting from various students who are on the course and the perceived quality from its decent ranking (which factors into brand value to some extent).
Certainly, there is a momentum around the school which i'm finding infectious.

In terms of salary, it's not a major concern because i have confidence in my capability to negotiate a competitive renumeration post-mba based on my current skill set and the skillsto be acquired from the MBA on top of my international experience and i'm comfortable earning less that i am now as long as lifestyle is improved. The average salary is not a concern as its offset by the number of people who go to work in China/ other poorer asian countries. I have a few advantages in this area not related to my MBA (the wifes occupation means we're guaranteed a subsidised ex-pat lifestyle and free schooling for our children providing we stay in Asia or other non-English speaking developing countries). Besides, a global salary based on the USD is terrible with the exchange rate so bad :wink:

Even in Vault, exchange students have been praising the school. The pros of HKUST vs Cornell for me on a personal level are also good. e.g. I have family in HK and my relatives will be able to bond with their cousins, granddaughter/son etc. I will have babysitters (relatives), i will be able to afford a maid. My wife can work part-time and full time once the baby is old enough.

The only thing i see myself forfeiting is the networking capacity and capability of Cornell. Good luck to all still waiting for decisions and I hope i've made room for someone else.

NB: I Haven't got an offer from Cornell, I've just withdrawn my application.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 15:26
Got the call this evening - admit for round 3...

:-D 8-) :-D
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 16:44
Way to go wallspotter...I think you've just opened up the R3 admit list...
I continue to wait for my decision in the next few days...I've refreshed my mailbox like a thousand times over the last few days hoping to see some news....the wait....its killing me.... :??? :arh

wallspotter wrote:
Got the call this evening - admit for round 3...

:-D 8-) :-D
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2008, 16:44