Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 161
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 17:59
For those of you eyeing Cornell, let's post our info here. I'll be applying for 2008 and here is some basic profile info:

Age: 23
GMAT: 690
GPA: 3.66 overall, 2.7 first year of college and 3.92 the other three years at a different school, top 2% of class at state school
WE: 3 years IT, 1 year management consulting to federal government (both roles have good leadership for my age)
Extras: AARP Tax-Aide Program (Certified with Federal and State for filing taxes)

Last edited by jsnooky33 on 06 Nov 2007, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 232
Schools: Cornell
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 19:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
For those who are having interviews:

I had a phone interview on Jan 28 with Ann Richards. I'm half the globe away from Cornell, so we arranged an interview over the telephone at 9.15am in Cornell, and 9.15pm in my place. I'd love to have an on-campus interview if I were a local student, but my situation is different.

People talk about phone interview and its disadvantages compared to on-campus one, but I do believe that the interviewer and the AdCom understand the difference well and will make sure that the assessments are fair.

If you are from overseas, make sure that the phone line quality is good enough, you may try to call in the Admission Office several times before the actual interview to test the line. They welcome these calls.

In the interview, the best thing you can do is be yourself. There are tons of advices of what you should tell them, how you should present in what tone, what voice and things, that you should show how enthusiastic you are, blah blah... Those are good, but DO NOT EXAGGERATE, be just as you are, simple and persuasive.

And be prepared to give details of whatever point you make in the interview, even rather technical details. If you are asked, try to make the answer clear and simple enough, to show them that you master this problem and are able to explain to a non-expert in the field.

Lastly, I would like to share this from svrider, the list of questions that are likely to be asked in the interview. This list helped me a lot in my interview, although I had it only 15 minutes before the interview.

103-t58966
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 232
Schools: Cornell
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 06:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
Great news!!! Congrats Aceman!!! So finally things turn out so good!!!

Deposit deadline for me is Feb 29. Don't know what applies to you. Why not make a call to the Admissions Office?

I'm trying to get an extension to March though. I really have to think hard: to go or not to go... I love Cornell, but there are so many things to consider.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 09:06
No love yet? :-D

Added to the "Pants Pooping Applicant Thread"
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 589
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 19:10
I'd probably be interested in Cornell if I thought my wife could find a job around Ithaca.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 20:25
I am in for Cornell and will probably apply R2.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Location: New Haven, CT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 11:50
I will be applying to Cornell in R1.

26
710 GMAT
3.6 GPA

I have heard good an bad things about Ithaca, but it's a great school. My wife and I can get through two years in negative temps and butt deep snow.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 03:07
one more suitor for Cornell :wink:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2134
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 07:41
I'm applying to Cornell. Is their application available yet? I started one and realized it was for fall 07.

730
3.7
29/6yrs exp at matric

I can put up with 1 year at Ithaca (we all know 2nd year is just fun time, esp if a job offer is secured). It's a gorgeous campus.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 10:25
Hey, guys, I just left Ithaca after living there for 5 years. I loved it and am actually homesick. While I ultimately didn't decide on the Johnson school, I feel I've learned a lot about the place and did quite well on the application - I was admitted just days after submitting my app, was waitlisted for the Park Fellowship and was offered a substantial scholarship as a consolation prize.

So if you've got Ithaca questions, I am happy to comment and can probably help a bit with application questions as well.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 10:35
Your avatar is kinda confusing, though :)

Everytime you talk about Duke, I say to myself, "Ohhhh yeahhhh .. she's going to Duke, not Cornell"
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 10:46
mNeo wrote:
Your avatar is kinda confusing, though :)

Everytime you talk about Duke, I say to myself, "Ohhhh yeahhhh .. she's going to Duke, not Cornell"


Yeah, I know. I thought about changing it, but I really am homesick and thinking about Ithaca a lot. I am even shopping at Wholefoods, which I don't like, because it reminds me of the co-op I used to shop at in Ithaca. Pathetic.

I tried to change my profile info to include my matriculation at Duke, but for some reason it doesn't show up. I may post a lot, but a tech-y I aint.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 100
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 11:03
Cornell is kind of my dream school right now, but I don't think I can justify the cost if I get in without a scholarship. I love the area the school is in; I'm not a big city kinda girl.

Female
24 years old
710 GMAT
3.5 GPA
A bit lacking with the full time professional post-grad work experience.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2134
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 13:23
aaudetat wrote:
I was admitted just days after submitting my app.


Does this mean that you were admitted w/o having to interview?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 170
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 14:05
kavet83 wrote:
Cornell is kind of my dream school right now, but I don't think I can justify the cost if I get in without a scholarship. I love the area the school is in; I'm not a big city kinda girl.

Female
24 years old
710 GMAT
3.5 GPA
A bit lacking with the full time professional post-grad work experience.


If you are an international, Cornell has the citiassist (citibank) loan that one can get without having a US co-signor.

I believe very few of us, if any can actually support full costs on our own ..
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 04:30
kidderek wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
I was admitted just days after submitting my app.


Does this mean that you were admitted w/o having to interview?


Oops, you're right. I tell you guys, it's amazing how these details sort of get fuzzy once you've moved on. I would never have believed it 6 monhts ago, but it's true.

Anyway, let me rephrase. I got the interview call just a few days after submitting my application. And then within a week or two after the interview I was accepted. Sorry about that. Truly no intention to mislead.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 100
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 07:41
gmat_march wrote:

If you are an international, Cornell has the citiassist (citibank) loan that one can get without having a US co-signor.

I believe very few of us, if any can actually support full costs on our own ..


I'm not international, just from the good ol' US of A. I know that getting loans wouldn't be a problem, but I don't think that for me personally I can justify that much debt for this school. For me, I just don't think it would be worth it. But hey, if they want to offer me a scholarship, I just might consider going.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2134
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 07:45
aaudetat wrote:
kidderek wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
I was admitted just days after submitting my app.


Does this mean that you were admitted w/o having to interview?


Oops, you're right. I tell you guys, it's amazing how these details sort of get fuzzy once you've moved on. I would never have believed it 6 monhts ago, but it's true.

Anyway, let me rephrase. I got the interview call just a few days after submitting my application. And then within a week or two after the interview I was accepted. Sorry about that. Truly no intention to mislead.


Either way, that's a pretty quick turnaround on your application.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 18:03
kavet83 wrote:
gmat_march wrote:

If you are an international, Cornell has the citiassist (citibank) loan that one can get without having a US co-signor.

I believe very few of us, if any can actually support full costs on our own ..


I'm not international, just from the good ol' US of A. I know that getting loans wouldn't be a problem, but I don't think that for me personally I can justify that much debt for this school. For me, I just don't think it would be worth it. But hey, if they want to offer me a scholarship, I just might consider going.


You want the Park Fellowship, all the way. it's like being a scientist...they pay tuition and then give you some financial love to live on.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 100
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 20:45
aaudetat wrote:
kavet83 wrote:
gmat_march wrote:

If you are an international, Cornell has the citiassist (citibank) loan that one can get without having a US co-signor.

I believe very few of us, if any can actually support full costs on our own ..


I'm not international, just from the good ol' US of A. I know that getting loans wouldn't be a problem, but I don't think that for me personally I can justify that much debt for this school. For me, I just don't think it would be worth it. But hey, if they want to offer me a scholarship, I just might consider going.


You want the Park Fellowship, all the way. it's like being a scientist...they pay tuition and then give you some financial love to live on.


That'd be awesome, unfortunately I doubt I'd even be considered. But I can dream right?
  [#permalink] 14 Aug 2007, 20:45
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 gmatclb 186 11 Sep 2007, 14:28
14 Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants rrajiv 1264 09 Aug 2007, 19:06
Calling all Duke 2008 applicants... lanter1 440 08 Aug 2007, 08:30
1 Calling all Yale 2008 applicants jsnooky33 392 03 Aug 2007, 20:58
6 Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants yogeshsheth 563 17 Jul 2007, 19:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  43    Next  [ 856 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.