Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
To mirror what terp06 has done with the Chicago thread, I have posted applicant stats on p.1 of this thread.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 13:12
This post received
KUDOS
Just returned from my on-campus Cornell interview.

I interviewed in the office of one of the assistant director of admissions. She told me that the interview would be very conversational and would last anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

She was right about the conversational part, I will try to weed out questions from our conversation:

Tell me about yourself.
Why an MBA?
Give me a leadership example.
How do your ECs relate to your background?
Tell me about how you have showed initiative and how you made change within your company.
What will you contribute to Johnson inside and outside the classroom?
Tell me about a failure you encountered, what did it teach you?
Tell your strengths in your application and what you see as a weakness in your application.
Now tell me your strengths and weaknesses that you will bring with you to Johnson.
How would your friends or team members describe you?
What was it about your class visit in September that you liked so much?
If I had to go to the adcom and tell them what sets you apart from a similar applicant, what should I tell them?
What other schools are you applying to and why? Why is Johnson a better fit?
What do you see in our curriculum that you really like?

Then it was my turn to ask questions. I asked about how the financial crisis is impacting job search/school direction, if there are any new international initiatives in the works beyond study abroad and standard treks, and finally what surprises students about johnson once they start beyond the work load. These questions all got my interviewer talking and she was so excited to answer them....it got more back and forth conversation going.

All said and done, the interview ran over and lasted about 1 hr 20 min. I felt really great about the interview and I dont think it could have gone any better!

I also was fortunate enough to meet GMATClubber Manbilla in the waiting room and I know his interview recap is coming once he gets back to Iowa.

Peace out :P

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
solaris1 wrote:
msday86, where's our interview debrief? :-D

Sorry sorry, I just recovered all the sleep I lost thanks to my 21-hour day traveling to/from Cornell. I officially hate air travel now.

Cornell was really great. The interview was fairly standard:

1. Take us through your resume.
2. Why MBA? Why Cornell? Why now?
3. What other schools did you apply to?
4. Tell us about a time you failed.
5. How will you adjust to Ithaca?

I think I did OK...it was my first interview, so I rambled a bit at the start, but then recovered nicely enough. I'd probably give myself a B+ if we were grading our own interview performances (why don't we do that anyway??)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
solaris1 wrote:
Where's the Chapter House? I already hit up Ruloff's.

LeftOut wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
I'm still in Ithaca folks, bar hopping for the rest of the evening - $2.75 a pint during happy hour, with a (female) bartender sporting a tattoo, a nose ring and a bandanna - I love it here. Unlike at Darden however, she didn't keep referring to me as "darling." :(

Not sure where you're planning on heading, but if you're a beer drinker, it's worth the walk down the hill to the Chapter House. Ruloff's is good too (good bar food, closest bar to campus, if you're staying in the Statler)

Congrats on completing the interview! Enjoy your time in cold Ithaca.

It's on Stewart Ave. Best way to get down there is to walk back down into Collegetown (where Ruloff's is). Go to the traffic light and make a right onto Dryden (down the hill). Walk to the end of Dryden, make a right on Eddy, left onto Williams and just walk down the hill to the end. The Chapter House will be in front of you once you hit Stewart.

It's probably a 15-20 min. walk from the Statler (and a bit longer on the way back up the hills after a few beers), but again, it's worth it if you're a beer drinker.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Simon '11

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
"Accepted applicants may know before December 17. We will notify all round 1 applicants of our decision on December 17."

This was taken from the Businessweek forum "Ask the Johnson Admissions Office" thread.

Seems consistent with getting calls/email notifications a few days ahead of time. Thought people would like to know that don't venture over there from time to time.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
the plot - X's interview debrief

the set - a coffee shop with a grand old man playing a grand old piano and singin some good ol' songs in the background

the protagonists - A - the alum, X- yours truely

the scene - A greets X with a smile and a wave and tht automatically put X at ease. They start off discussing X's current work, organization and A tells X a bit about A's organization and similar experiences. Then A wants to know more about X's resume, basically education .. and then ask's X about X's background. A get back to the resume and gets to know a bit more about X's work and then finally the zillion $$ question - WHY MBA? X gives the reasons, but A wants more.. X gives more but A gives alternatives and is not convinced. X negates the alternatives and sticks to X's stand. Finally A says lets get back to it later.

Then A wants to know more about certain experiences of X.They discuss it at length.A finds X unconventional and delves pretty deep into X's experience. A asks X to check up a couple of interesting ventures and suggests a good read.A then asks X what friends/peers think of X and wht weaknesses X would like to improve on in the MBA. Here X stumbled a bit when A asks for an example. Then A comes back to the then zillion and now gazillion $$ question WHY MBA? X reiterates, gives some more concrete reasons but A is just not ready to part with A's money!!! A wants to know about X's career goals and although no where does A expliciting ask WHY Cornell , X does keep mentioning it throughout.

Finally after 90 mins A and X decide to part ways. Surprisingly A is not interested in knowing more about X's leadership experience ( or did A get it all when X was talking about experiences), team work, other schools X is applying to and the other general questions.

A makes an unusual request and says A might want to meet up with X again later since X has given A enough food for though (these are not A's words). X is a bit perplexed ( is this another litmus test??!!!) but absolutely fine with meeting A again.

As X walks off the stage X is happy that X was not nervous, it was a good conversation and irrespective of the outcome this meeting has given X a huge boost of confidence. ( X has practically nil interview experience)

Now X is back to obsessing over the 5 recommendation status', will A want to meet X again and discuss further and the charred remains of WHY Mba.

****the curtain***
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
raabenb wrote:
Mine is still "interview scheduled" *AND* I have not heard a thing from my interviewer in response to my thank-you note. Im depressed :cry:

I interviewed yesterday morning and by the time I got home and checked online, my status had changed to "Complete Application." - before I even had a chance to send a thank you note.

Speaking of, here's a quick debrief:

-Took the Campus2Campus bus from NYC, very convenient and wifi on the bus, what could be better?
-Walked into the building with Randall Sawyer, what a friendly guy! He stopped to talk to some current students who were sitting in the atrium, then followed me into the admissions office. He sat and talked to the 5 prospectives in the room for about 10 minutes.

Then came my interview...well, that was an experience:
-I had a 2nd year student observe my interview, so it was a little awkward having a silent observer sitting in the room.
-My interviewer gave NO verbal or non-verbal cues to signify if I was talking too much or too little. No encouraging "right" or "I understand." I just felt that it was very uncomfortable, even though I tried to lighten the mood.
-I didn't get many specific questions, it was more of a line of questioning, starting with "walk me through your resume" and there were a lot of follow-up questions along the way. I was asked about challenges, teamwork, leadership, etc. - all of which were highlighted in the overall "walk me through your resume" question.
-One question that threw me off was about a weakness. I clarified that meant a general weakness, and was told yes, so I answered that, but then the follow-up was that the AdCom had highlighted a weakness in my application and could I talk about that? I just felt that I was misled and I was made to feel that I answered the wrong question originally.
-I was able to ask questions at the end, and directed most of my questions to the 2nd year student because I was really looking for a student's perspective.
-The interviewer then told me that we had already run over and we were bound to get kicked out of the room if we went any longer. I felt that this was a backhanded comment that I had spoken too much.

I then met with a professor and that was a COMPLETELY different experience. Very friendly, accomodating, nice, approachable. I was completely comfortable speaking with the professor, and I hope that that somehow makes its way down to the AdCom because I felt it went much better than the interview.

Followed by a typical class visit, lunch, and info session. I think the info session was informative, but the 3 current students were all very similar (ie. all interested in consulting of some sort), it would have been nice to have students with varying interests.

I think that's about all...not much else I can do now but wait. :|
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
cereal255 wrote:
Just curious if you don't mind sharing... what does your "message" say on the app status screen... we'll try to read something into this process yet

For reference, mine says:

Quote:
Your application is complete and currently with the review committee. You wiill learn our final decision on your application at 8 a.m. Eastern time on the published notification date.

Mine says the same.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
Mine says the same.....including the "wiill" typo.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
raabenb wrote:
I hear the crickets chirping on this Johnson thread. We cant allow this to become burried in the depths of GMATClub until the admit/dings come in......I need to see Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! on the front page because it makes me smile :-D

Well, I guess I can add some insight today...

I spoke to someone in the Fin Aid office. I asked a bunch of questions related to the Park Fellowship. Here is what I got out of the conversation:

-Last year there were about 800 applicants for the Park (which is about 90% of eligible applicants).
-They invite about 25-30 applicants to each of the four final interview rounds.
-They distribute 25 (or a few more than that) offers...believe it or not, some people actually turn down this Fellowship.
-Invites to the first event will not be included with admit packages, you will probably find out in early Jan.
-You can be "waitlisted" to another round of finalist interviews. Just because you submit for R1, doesn't mean you are only considered for R1.
-If you are dinged from the Park, you will find out. They will not keep you in suspense.
-The only way they will keep you in suspense is if you are "waitlisted" for the Park, in which case, you may be waiting until April.
-You can be offered scholarship money AND an invite to the final round for the Park. However, if you are offered a Park (and accept), they will rescind your additional scholarship money.

That all being said, I guess there's one important hurdle for us to clear before worrying about a scholarship. Dec 17th can't come soon enough. Just tell me my fate already!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to the admits!!

Sorry to the waitlisters and dings, hopefully one of your top choices come through for you. Cornell probably just thought u were to good for them and that you wouldn't matriculate :-D I also would encourage all waitlisters to read the wise words of solaris on the last page, fairly encouraging admit rate for R1 waitlisters. Good luck all.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
aakashganga wrote:
same here.. under review since 12/8. But, from what I heard from the R1 applicants, this is normal... At least a couple of applicants told me that the wait time for them was around 4 weeks.

waited 4 weeks for an interview invite or it took four weeks to get the admission decision ??
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 16:59
This post received
KUDOS
solaris1 wrote:
Can you R2 folks start a roll call in the same format as the R1 roll call in the first page and I will add that to the original post?

I just went through the thread, here's what I came up with:

Round 2

yellowjacket - submitted 11/17
belfi - submitted 11/17 | invite 1/7
tarunmalik - submitted 11/17
stretch08 - submitted 11/17 | invite 12/24
pronkster - submitted 11/17 | invite 12/19
misterlev - submitted 11/14 | invite 12/22
oziozzie - submitted 11/17 | invite 1/12
wonderhaven - submitted 11/13 | invite 12/23
flood - submitted ?? | invite 1/12
aakashganga - submitted ?? | invite 1/9
tal - submitted ??
BearStearner - submitted ??

Round 3

rscricket - submitted ??
pguard - submitted 1/12
bucktooth911 - submitted 1/9
jimmyjamesdonkey - submitted ??

Hope this is accurate. We're looking pretty solid overall, best of luck to everyone waiting.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
RJ wrote:
Thanks guys...guess I will go...any interview tips?

Have you seen this post?

http://gmatclub.com/forum/post424513.html#p424513

I got an email from a current student saying not to worry too much about the interview, but based on the stories posted earlier in this thread, I'm going to spend as much time as I can prepping... don't want to let this one to slip away.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats guys!

enteraka, I was put on the scholarship waitlist also. In a few days you're gonna get an email that tells you to sit tight and wait till sometime in April to find out whether you get any money. There's nothing you can do but sit and wait. They will also tell you that you need to put down you deposit before you find out whether you get scholarship money. However, I would guess that if you have a good scholarship offer from a comparable school you could probably use that to try and negotiate some money before you have to make your deposit. If you don't have any other scholarship offers, then just sit tight till April.

EDIT: Bearstearner just saw your post. Congrats! That's great news! See above for a little info on the scholarship waitlist.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
I sent in an update letter and had my volunteer director send in an additional rec (as stated previously).

I asked my director, in her letter, to make sure she included Cornell-specific stuff (I gave her all my reasoning for choosing to apply to Cornell). What she included exactly?.... I have no idea! BUT, when I was accepted they mentioned to me how good her letter was so I assume it was specific/persuasive.

In my update letter, I specifically stated that Cornell was at the top of my list. I did try to use some pretty persuasive language to convince them of that.....at the time I thought it was a gamble but it definitely paid off.

I also used very calculated timing. After I sent in my wait confirmation fax the day I was waitlisted, I had my Volunteer Director wait about 2 weeks to send in her letter. I then waited about 3 more weeks to send in my update letter. After that, I waited one full week to contact my application coordinator to confirm receipt of my additional materials.

As the Round 1 deposit date and Round 2 notification date came and went, I contacted my application coordinator again to voice concern over my continued waitlist status. The exact text was:

Greetings XXXX,

I am a Round 1 waitlisted applicant. So far my volunteer director sent in a supplementary recommendation letter and I faxed in an update letter with recent changes in my professional role etc. As the Round 2 decision notification date has come and gone, and I remain on the waitlist, I feel that I need some more insight into my application, and what else I can do to strengthen it. I know that Johnson offers feedback. How can I go about getting the feedback?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

Within an hour of sending that email I received a call from Johnson admissions asking me if I was REALLY serious about attending Johnson. I reaffirmed that I was and within a week I was admitted to the program.

I believe the key was not only my persuasive letters but also the calculated communication. They heard from me (on average) once every two weeks from the waitlisted date until getting accepted.

Hope that helps guys!

aakashganga wrote:
Raabend wrote:
As a round 1 waitlister who made it off, I cant stress enough that you need to make them truly believe that Cornell is your first choice. Of course do this without annoying them (i.e. calls and emails every other day is a no no).

Raabend, What exactly you did to make Cornell believe that it is truly your 1st choice apart from sending them an update on why Cornell is best for you? Can you please share?

Current Student
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 16:38
I am in! When will the essays be up any idea?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 16:46
I am in! Anyone planning on visiting? I am thinking of a mid-Sept visit...
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 16:55
Count me in. The investment management program looks sweeeeet. Couple that with the immersion program and the placement in IB/IM and it's a no-brainer for me. I'm gunning for Rd 1.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 17:15
I'm in for Round 1! Visited the campus in April and loved the place. The students are just awesome, I would love to spend two years there. I'm going into investment management also and they have some great programs for that.

Toughest part of the app (assuming essay questions don't change): 400 word career essay! That's gonna be tough. I can barely get it to 750 for Columbia. Oh well, cross that bridge when I get there. Absolutely amazing school though. Anyone that hasn't visited definitely should.
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2008, 17:15