Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 09:20
This GMAT info is very interesting. I actually posted earlier on this thread that I heard the relatively new director (Sawyer?) is GMAT obsessed. This seems to reconfirm that information. I REALLY hope it's true! Everyone says that once you cross 700, the GMAT is meaningless at UE/E schools. But if Cornell truly is putting extra emphasis on the GMAT, maybe my 740 will actually be worth something at one of the schools I'm applying to.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 09:21
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
But if Cornell truly is putting extra emphasis on the GMAT, maybe my 740 will actually be worth something at one of the schools I'm applying to.

You'll have to change your name!

~Sam
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:17
Hi all,

I am admitted to the Johnson School for Fall '09. I applied this past year and deferred because I am in a dual-degree program. So I will be joining all of you at the start of the '09 school year.

Like aceman, I want to wish you good luck with the application process. Cornell was the very last application I took on, initially I dreaded the 400 word limit, but it wound up being my favorite essays by the time I was done. I saw that it has already been posted on here, but it is worth reiterating: Take advantage of the optional essay.

Once again, good luck with the applications. Feel free and send me a message, post here, or post in the B-school Ambassadors thread.
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:40
PaulK wrote:
I saw that it has already been posted on here, but it is worth reiterating: Take advantage of the optional essay.

Can you expand on this a little? What types of things would be appropriate to talk about in the optional essay?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:12
ryguy904 wrote:
sweet trading floor

Dude, they wouldn't let us in the trading floor, but it looked sweeeeeeeeeet.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:15
kidderek wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
sweet trading floor

Dude, they wouldn't let us in the trading floor, but it looked sweeeeeeeeeet.

That's a sign that you know it's AWESOME.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:43
I got a guy to take me around the trading floor, and to to the area for the PMs. He also showed me the quant screens they use. Pretty cool stuff. Espcially, since I want to get into equity research.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:47
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I got a guy to take me around the trading floor, and to to the area for the PMs. He also showed me the quant screens they use. Pretty cool stuff. Espcially, since I want to get into equity research.

Very nice. We'll have to talk some more about the equity research stuff at the gmat meet 'n greet coming up in a couple of weeks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:32
A bit worried now. Cornell was my #1 choice but if they're being more selective for 700+ that puts some extreme pressure to perform well on GMAT. Probably taking in Sept.

Did adcom explicitly say 700+?? normally they just say, its all about the overall applicant to 50pts w/in average. blah!!!!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 14:21
Perhaps I missed it, but has Cornell confirmed the essays for 08-09 yet? If so, can you please point me to them?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 15:00
The only info we have (from Solaris) is that they are keeping the 2 questions they had last year plus they are adding a 3rd required essay. We don't know what the topic of the third essay is. Cornell says the app will be out by 9/1.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 15:07
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
The only info we have (from Solaris) is that they are keeping the 2 questions they had last year plus they are adding a 3rd required essay. We don't know what the topic of the third essay is. Cornell says the app will be out by 9/1.

:thanks
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 15:13
ryguy904 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

:thanks

I suggest you guys get started even with the old application b/c when the new ones get posted, the information automatically gets transferred to the new application. In the case that it doesn't, copy paste your information to a word doc., then paste it back to the new app.

They only give you about a month to complete the app + essays, so it's tough.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 15:57
So, a question for anyone who visited already or knows Ithaca well - is it possible to survive 2 years at Cornell without a car?

:oops: I don't drive. :oops:
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 15:58
solaris1 wrote:
So, a question for anyone who visited already or knows Ithaca well - is it possible to survive 2 years at Cornell without a car?

They have a good bus system
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 17:13
ryguy904 wrote:
Can you expand on this a little? What types of things would be appropriate to talk about in the optional essay?

ryguy,

If they are in fact adding a 3rd required essay, then taking advantage of the optional essay would be less important. I remember one of the first things I was told by the admissions officer I talked with was to take advantage of the optional essay because two 400-word essays make for a relatively short time to sell yourself. The 3rd essay is just an additional chance to share more about yourself.

I believe I talked more about my work experience, mentioning things that I did not have room for in the two required essays. However, if they are going to add a 3rd essay, it should provide a good amount of room. Almost all applicants were writing the optional essay as a 3rd anyway, so that would make sense.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 17:16
solaris1 wrote:

solaris,

I moved to Ithaca about a month and a half ago, and a good portion of the time my car stays parked at home. The TCAT bus system is very efficient and serves the area very well. Bikes are another popular option, but if you are not looking to go the self-propelled route, the bus system is great.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 20:18
solaris1 wrote:

I survived 4 years without a car :)
Its a collegetown and bars/restuarants/dorms/school buildings are all within walking distance.
For the mall/movie theatres you'll have to take the bus - but as mentioned above, the TCAT bus system is nice.

For NYC trips - you can take the bus from collegeown to port authority - easy to do.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 18:02
So Johnson has a student-run venture fund (Big Red Ventures), a
student-run hedge fund (the Cayuga fund), and immersions (essentially
a focus) in everything from management consulting to private equity.

From what I have learned about the programs they seem like a great way to get into the industry -- yet I never hear Cornell mentioned as a leader for PE/VC placements.
Does anyone have placement stats for those participating in the BR Ventures/Cayuga Fund?
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 19:00
Did you see Clint Stone's blog: http://forum.johnson.cornell.edu/blog/clintstone/
He was the Portfolio Manager for the Cayuga Fund and yet he'll be staying to work with the Cornell endowment after graduation.

The employment report, as you probably already know, does not break out its finance placements into HF/VC/PE etc.

PalmettoRU wrote:
So Johnson has a student-run venture fund (Big Red Ventures), a
student-run hedge fund (the Cayuga fund), and immersions (essentially
a focus) in everything from management consulting to private equity.

From what I have learned about the programs they seem like a great way to get into the industry -- yet I never hear Cornell mentioned as a leader for PE/VC placements.
Does anyone have placement stats for those participating in the BR Ventures/Cayuga Fund?
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2008, 19:00