Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 03:48
Ariel,

Thank you for responding. I totally agree with you with regard to the importance of having clear career goals. B-school apps often make me feel like I need to have a very specific career/life plan (talk about pressure). However, I know that that's not necessarily the case.

I'm relieved to know that one does not have to choose an immersion immediately upon arriving on campus. I appreciate you offering your help. I've been through Vault, Wet Feet, & CareerLeader products. The only way I'll really be able to make a decision is by working in those fields - but as you noted, my current focus needs to be on getting into school. Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 06:54
I am applying for R1 in AMBA.
As per program description, AMBA is not designed for people who wants make big career change. but how about career change from technology consulting to management consulting?

Can anyone provide information about last years' campus recruitment for AMBA in management consulting ?

Thank you in advance.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 55
Location: India
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 19:42
I will be applying for AMBA in R2.

I have 8 years of experience in the field of IT/Tech consulting & services and I want to pursue my career in the same field at a larger capacity.

What are the placement stats at Cornell for IT/Tech consulting? Are there significant differences in the placements for 2 year MBA and AMBA, in terms of recruting firms or recruiters' preferences etc.?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 16:54
Ready4MBA and ballubalraj, I'm sure you have stumbled upon this - it is the official employment report for Johnson:

http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/career/E ... tFacts.pdf

I will try to get you more details on employment stats, I know this doesn't give you much.

I wouldn't say that tech consulting to MC is a big career change. AMBAs are recruiting right now (on top of full course load + an ongoing internship), so life is busy for those guys. A lot of them expect offers by the end of the year or early next year. The type of resources they have are very similar to the two year MBAs - we go to the same corporate briefings, use the same career advisors, etc - however the timing is different and sometimes the types of positions they would apply to (though not always). For instance a pharma might see AMBAs as more atractive than two year MBAs when it comes to their reasearch labs, etc.

PM me if you're interested and I'll make sure you are put in touch with the right people.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 55
Location: India
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 21:36
Thanks Ariel for sharing this.
Will there be a new logo for Johnson (in this link, it is same as Cornell's)?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
WE 1: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 11:05
Hey guys,,

Count me in for round 1. Right now working on my essays.

Regards,
Kalyan
_________________

Second cut is the deepest cut...hope the same applies for my GMAT prep :P

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 12:35
ballubalraj wrote:
Thanks Ariel for sharing this.
Will there be a new logo for Johnson (in this link, it is same as Cornell's)?


You can actually see the new logo in the new brand image article I pasted. The old logo is everywhere else (even on the home page: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/). They're currently working on a new site for the school but I'm not quite sure when that will be launched.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Tuck Class 2013
Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Posts: 122
Location: Singapore
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 01:47
just submitted my application for R1... good luck all!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Affiliations: CPA
Joined: 07 Jun 2007
Posts: 29
Schools: Yale
WE 1: Tax - Big 4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 03:00
Hi Ariel,

Thank you for your willingness to answer questions on the forum! I was wondering if you may shed some light on the Park Leadership Fellowship program, specifically, 1) if their "leadership" designed course is much different from a customized Immersions option that focuses on leadership, and 2) if these fellows are identified/known by the class, or if they blend in seamlessly with the other students.

Thank you in advance!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 07:06
Count me in for R1. I'm a reapplicant this year, and I've noticed the essays are identical to last year's.
In case of Cornell, they only keep application file for one year (unlike other school who keeps them for 2 years)
so technically, we could re-apply with exactly the same essay.

In my case, I was accepted for an interview, waitlisted, and then dinged almost as late as May.
I haven't asked them what the reason for my denial was (which was stupid) but I don't think it was because of my essay.
In fact, I think one of my essay was pretty well written. My guess is that it was probably more of my GPA and lack of commitment after being waitlisted (I panicked).

Having said that, what do you think about using the last year's essay once more?
Wouldn't someone at the adcom remember my essay and say, "hey, this guy didn't put additional effort to his essay"?
I'm saying this because Cornell's third essay requires creativity, and my last year's unique format might be recognized.
But then again, they don't keep any record, and they read thousands of essays.

Any opinions?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 141
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 09:11
Which essay(s) are you thinking of keeping? All three?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 19:42
estreet wrote:
Which essay(s) are you thinking of keeping? All three?


First and third. I plan to update my second essay.
Any suggestions?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 141
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 20:01
Is there an optional essay on how your application has changed? Is it too late to call and ask for feedback on last year?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 23:08
estreet wrote:
Is there an optional essay on how your application has changed? Is it too late to call and ask for feedback on last year?


Yes, there is an essay for re-applicants, and we explain about how we improved since last application.
I'm planning to apply for Round 1, so with only 1 day remaining, it don't think I can ask them for a feedback.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 141
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 04:10
Keeping in mind I know nothing about this, it might add some weight to your argument that your candidacy has improved if what you experienced since the last application makes it into your bibliography. Don't think it has to be expansive since there is an essay about it, maybe just a reference that will make sense once they read the other essay.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 05:51
estreet wrote:
Keeping in mind I know nothing about this, it might add some weight to your argument that your candidacy has improved if what you experienced since the last application makes it into your bibliography. Don't think it has to be expansive since there is an essay about it, maybe just a reference that will make sense once they read the other essay.


Thanks estreet for your insight.

Although, for Cornell MBA, there is no previous essay adcom can refer to, because they discard all (most?) records after the season is over. That's where my question begins... (Will they still remember? or not?)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 141
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 17:58
"I'm saying this because Cornell's third essay requires creativity, and my last year's unique format might be recognized."

You just have to decide if you are okay with the possibility of them remembering, nobody call tell you yes or no for sure (unfort.)

Best of luck - fingers crossed for you either way
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 21:37
bestofgmat wrote:
Count me in for R1. I'm a reapplicant this year, and I've noticed the essays are identical to last year's.
In case of Cornell, they only keep application file for one year (unlike other school who keeps them for 2 years)
so technically, we could re-apply with exactly the same essay.

In my case, I was accepted for an interview, waitlisted, and then dinged almost as late as May.
I haven't asked them what the reason for my denial was (which was stupid) but I don't think it was because of my essay.
In fact, I think one of my essay was pretty well written. My guess is that it was probably more of my GPA and lack of commitment after being waitlisted (I panicked).

Having said that, what do you think about using the last year's essay once more?
Wouldn't someone at the adcom remember my essay and say, "hey, this guy didn't put additional effort to his essay"?
I'm saying this because Cornell's third essay requires creativity, and my last year's unique format might be recognized.
But then again, they don't keep any record, and they read thousands of essays.

Any opinions?


You've probably already submitted but my 2 cents on this. I don't see anything wrong with submitting essays that are very similar to last year's (especially if they only keep apps for one year). It's odd though that they would ask for an essay about how you've strengthened your candidacy and not have anything to refer back to from the prior year.

I'm in two minds about the table of contents essay though. You could have similar content (especially if you're conveying the same 'brand' as last year), but I don't know that the formatting should be the same. I might be completely off on this, so take it with a grain of salt.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 94
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 06:56
Hi everyone!

Has anyone gotten interview invites yet?

Does anyone know how much weight the interview has on the whole admissions process??

i.e. if you get an invite are you well on your way to acceptance or do you still have the most important part ahead of you?

I ask because above someone mentioned that they were waitlisted and dinged after their interview, but reasoned that it might have been because of his GPA or essays.... I thought once they invited you to interview those things would be ancient history and the deciison would be based solely on how well you did in the interview...

any thoughts??

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 61
Schools: UVA Darden (R1), Cornell Johnson (R1), Yale SOM (R1), Oxford Said (R2)
WE 1: 5 Yrs Mgmt Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 11:14
Hi,

Applied R1, good luck to all!

GMAT: 670
GPA: 3.4
WE: 5 Years Management Consulting

Also, regarding interview/acceptance rates, I believe I read on another site (in an Interview with the AdCom) that the rate is something like, ~40% of those interviewed receive an admittance. For what that's worth.
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2010, 11:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
354 Experts publish their posts in the topic Johnson (Cornell) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants hamm0 1159 21 Apr 2013, 10:00
226 Experts publish their posts in the topic Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants GMATLA 1653 27 Aug 2012, 16:27
95 Experts publish their posts in the topic Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants Avault 1424 23 Aug 2011, 22:02
40 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! Raabend 1421 21 May 2009, 06:16
46 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! solaris1 1424 15 Jul 2008, 16:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  72    Next  [ 1421 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.