Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 12:29
AndrewFlintoff wrote:
Has anyone been contacted by Kroll for the background check? I remember reading that Kroll would reach out to us in mid-June, but I have not heard from Kroll yet.

I got my Kroll email today.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 20:22
I guess the phones are still ringing! I am a round 2 wait lister (slogging very hard for a GMAT re-take) and I was pleasantly surprised when I received a call from Laurie this afternoon. It was to let me know that they were considering my application to fill up the few remaining seats for the Class of 2013 and wanted to know whether I was still interested (and you bet I was!). However, since I am an international working in the US on a work visa, she wanted me to check with the ISSO to figure out whether I would be able to have my visa converted to a F1 in time for orientation. Once they are sure that this can be done, they'll consider making the final offer. I need to let them know within the next 2-3 days since they're almost ready to finalize the class.

And since I was so immersed in my GMAT preparations and had almost lost all hope for this year, I hardly know anything about the visa formalities, financial aid, and other inter-dependencies. I guess I have about 30 days to do what most people have 2-3 months to do.....So here are a few questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Can a work VISA be converted to a F1 without leaving the US? How much time does this take? Will the ISSO help me with this or do I need a lawyer to help with the processing?
2. I understand that I need to provide proof to the Johnson School for them to send me an I-20. How do I provide this proof?
3. How do I seek financial aid? Does Cornell co-sign loans for International Students?

I'm sorry for not having read up on the other forums if this information has already been posted, would be great if someone could re-direct me.....
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell (R3-Admitted);
WE 1: 5+ IT Business Consultant/Project Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 08:43
AriBenCanaan wrote:
I guess the phones are still ringing! I am a round 2 wait lister (slogging very hard for a GMAT re-take) and I was pleasantly surprised when I received a call from Laurie this afternoon. It was to let me know that they were considering my application to fill up the few remaining seats for the Class of 2013 and wanted to know whether I was still interested (and you bet I was!). However, since I am an international working in the US on a work visa, she wanted me to check with the ISSO to figure out whether I would be able to have my visa converted to a F1 in time for orientation. Once they are sure that this can be done, they'll consider making the final offer. I need to let them know within the next 2-3 days since they're almost ready to finalize the class.

And since I was so immersed in my GMAT preparations and had almost lost all hope for this year, I hardly know anything about the visa formalities, financial aid, and other inter-dependencies. I guess I have about 30 days to do what most people have 2-3 months to do.....So here are a few questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Can a work VISA be converted to a F1 without leaving the US? How much time does this take? Will the ISSO help me with this or do I need a lawyer to help with the processing?
2. I understand that I need to provide proof to the Johnson School for them to send me an I-20. How do I provide this proof?
3. How do I seek financial aid? Does Cornell co-sign loans for International Students?

I'm sorry for not having read up on the other forums if this information has already been posted, would be great if someone could re-direct me.....

Congrats man... am in the same boat or so... international on the waitlist... it is interesting that they are still offering seats - so i guess i can still be hopeful. In terms of visa, I think you have to travel back to your home country to get stamped for an F-1. The moment you quit your job, i think your currenty H/L visa status also gets annuled ans set you up for a new F-1.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 09:25
AriBenCanaan wrote:
Congrats man... am in the same boat or so... international on the waitlist... it is interesting that they are still offering seats - so i guess i can still be hopeful. In terms of visa, I think you have to travel back to your home country to get stamped for an F-1. The moment you quit your job, i think your currenty H/L visa status also gets annuled ans set you up for a new F-1.

Thanks. It's still not an outright offer though, given the complications with international visa transfers...

I googled and found out that I can do a COS (change of status, had to google this too!) from H/L to F and without leaving the US. I can get the stamping done at a US Consulate the next time I visit my home country. The only problem with this approach is that it can take any time between 1 or 2 months to get the COS done - this could be too late for start of class this fall...

Ideally I'd like to get my F1 before I quit my job and going back to my home country now would mean that I quit my job now, jeopardizing prospects with my current job with no guarantee that I'll land up with a F1....

So at the moment, I am counting on the ISSO to provide guidance....

moiuday, I hope you get the call too, then we can brainstorm this together :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 09:47
AriBenCanaan wrote:
AriBenCanaan wrote:

Thanks. It's still not an outright offer though, given the complications with international visa transfers...

I googled and found out that I can do a COS (change of status, had to google this too!) from H/L to F and without leaving the US. I can get the stamping done at a US Consulate the next time I visit my home country. The only problem with this approach is that it can take any time between 1 or 2 months to get the COS done - this could be too late for start of class this fall...

Ideally I'd like to get my F1 before I quit my job and going back to my home country now would mean that I quit my job now, jeopardizing prospects with my current job with no guarantee that I'll land up with a F1....

So at the moment, I am counting on the ISSO to provide guidance....

moiuday, I hope you get the call too, then we can brainstorm this together :)

well... i am hoping for that too. I don't think you will have a problem in getting an F1 as long as all your documents are in order. You are going to Cornell and the visa officer must have a very good reason to reject you for studying at such a university. I would not worry about that. If I were to get a call, I'd quit my job right away... get docs in place and go home to get stamped.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 05:44
brainhurt wrote:
AndrewFlintoff wrote:
Has anyone been contacted by Kroll for the background check? I remember reading that Kroll would reach out to us in mid-June, but I have not heard from Kroll yet.

I got my Kroll email today.

Hi,

What does Kroll asks in the email? Could you please give some details on it. Also, did the email be sent to your Johnson email address or personal one? Last question :-D In which round did Johnson admit you?

Thanks a lot.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
I am INNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Just got the call today... status changed to Offer... i am running on adrenalin right now. Thanks to all you guys for your support esp. brainhurt, redjam, fd, AriBenCanaan. I'll see you guys soon at Cornell.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 09:35
moiuday wrote:
I am INNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Just got the call today... status changed to Offer... i am running on adrenalin right now. Thanks to all you guys for your support esp. brainhurt, redjam, fd, AriBenCanaan. I'll see you guys soon at Cornell.

Awesome moiuday! Congratulations!!!

I guess my status is still pending with the ISSO.....
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 23:13
So, I have a general question. Is it worth getting my car to Cornell?... When I went to Ithaca for the interview I felt it would be a waste because I wouldn't use it that much (being busy most days)... cant drive too much either because traffic moves < 30mph. Also there is the burden of insurance and maintenance. I looked at the housing guide and looks like most common residentials are a 15-20 walk from Sage hall. I am planning to sell my car as the $ would be quite useful. Thoughts anyone?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 07:36
moiuday wrote:
So, I have a general question. Is it worth getting my car to Cornell?... When I went to Ithaca for the interview I felt it would be a waste because I wouldn't use it that much (being busy most days)... cant drive too much either because traffic moves < 30mph. Also there is the burden of insurance and maintenance. I looked at the housing guide and looks like most common residentials are a 15-20 walk from Sage hall. I am planning to sell my car as the $ would be quite useful. Thoughts anyone?

I was an undergrad at Cornell and am attending Johnson this fall and if you are living within walking distance of campus it is not worth it in my opinion. I had a car as an undergrad and rarely used it. However, the one thing that it really would be useful for is grocery shopping as the super markets in Ithaca are all beyond walking distance of campus.

Also, congrats on your acceptance!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 11:56
I am in the same boat as some of the other international students (Indian). I received a call from acting admission director on Friday to enquire about my situation and interest in accepting the offer. Being international, I was also asked about my visa change (H1B to F1). But, I have not received a follow up call as yet. Do you think I should give up or there is still hope?
To AriBenCanaan: What does ISSO think about the time duration for H1B to F1?
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 14:45
MBAdiator wrote:
I am in the same boat as some of the other international students (Indian). I received a call from acting admission director on Friday to enquire about my situation and interest in accepting the offer. Being international, I was also asked about my visa change (H1B to F1). But, I have not received a follow up call as yet. Do you think I should give up or there is still hope?
To AriBenCanaan: What does ISSO think about the time duration for H1B to F1?

Well, ad-com has still kept me in limbo and it looks like the entire admissions office is out of office the entire week - to me this looks like they've made their decisions already so I'm getting back to GMAT re-take preparation.

According to ISSO, as long as you file for change of status you should be good to join the course.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 13:10
Can anyone else besides brainhurt confirm they have received the Kroll background inquiry? I have not to date. Does Johnson does have Kroll background check everyone or just a sample?
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 16:21
I haven't heard from Kroll myself. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the way the student services guys have managed this whole process so far. They've barely stuck to any of their own deadlines!

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 06:55
redjam17 wrote:
I haven't heard from Kroll myself. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the way the student services guys have managed this whole process so far. They've barely stuck to any of their own deadlines!

You'll find people who know what they are doing and some that may procrastinate a little more. Hang in there.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 11:23
3 weeks to orientation and I still havent heard from Kroll :( What the hell is going on?

I reached to Johnson Admissions and they said they would send out Kroll instructions in a few days (this was about 3 weeks ago), but nothing yet. I also just told my employer that I am leaving the company, so there better not be any issues with Kroll.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 04:27
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 19:32
Any eager beavers willing to start the Cornell thread for next year's class? I will help you manage it.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 03:35
I'd be happy to do that Ariel.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 12:23
Can someone please tell me when the FT program actually starts in the Fall? Not necessarily when courses begin, but when it's best to be on campus for orientation, social events, exemption exams, etc. When should I be in Ithaca?

Note: I'm applying this Fall for the class of 2014, so this is just a forward-looking question. I have found it quite difficult to locate academic calendars on the web.

Thanks!
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2011, 12:23