Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:07

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 20:40
yoshimihoku wrote:
some did, i know some did not

Those who did not write short paragraphs below the chapter headings, do they have only headings and chapters and do they have more chapters/ headings as compared to others because of the limit on essay length?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 17:54
it depends. since cornell asks uniqueness, i think different people have their own ways
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 07:32
Did anyone get any interview invites in the past week?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 07:46
Not to create anxiety among those who haven't received invites but I got an email on the 21st for an interview. I applied the day before the deadline.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 10:04
harpua357 wrote:
Not to create anxiety among those who haven't received invites but I got an email on the 21st for an interview. I applied the day before the deadline.

Hey harpua357 congrats on your interview invite and good luck!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB(Waitlisted) INSEAD(interview) Kellogg(Re-applicant i/w last time) Johnson(Re-applicant i/w last time) IESE(Re-applicant i/w last time)
WE 1: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 10:08
ventivish wrote:
harpua357 wrote:

Hey harpua357 congrats on your interview invite and good luck!!

Good luck..hope we too hear soon..:)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 10:32
Thanks for the kind words. I managed to stress myself out checking the forum repeatedly. It doesn't seem like there is any rhyme or reason to how they are going out so don't stress too much, it's out of your hands for the time being.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 11:02
Hey guys,
I thought we could benefit from having a roll call with details of all applicants as they get interview invites etc. just so we can have an overview of how the admissions process at cornell is progressing.

Similar to to other threads in the forum, I have attached a link to a spreadsheet to which you can enter your details.
Thanks to nink for this template http://gmatclub.com/forum/members/member-58260.html

Hope this helps!

https://spreadsheets2.google.com/ccc?key=tAMn3oIEKx7tBc8aOn7RYBw&authkey=CMbKguQK&hl=en&authkey=CMbKguQK#gid=0
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 01:30
I am an international student. I got an interview invite on 12th and did it last week.

Just wanted to share some insights as I have received quite a few from the members on this website :).

They asked the typical questions: why an MBA, why Cornell, why now, what are your career goals, etc. After all the hours spent on the essays and on self reflection, answering those questions should be pretty straight forward.

It is a blind interview, so the interviewer does not get to read the essays, and only has the CV. In addition, he has a few pointers from the school about the aspects on which he should focus. For me, it was mostly to test the weakest aspect of my application, and check if and how you have improved on it.

Now waiting for the final decision, quite scary!

Good luck to all!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 04:10
Have a query regarding Re-Applicant Status.

I applied in year 2008 for admission to 2 year Full Time MBA program at Johnson Business School but was denied the admission . I would like to know that If i am applying this year ( 9th Nov 2010 ) then whether I would still be considered a re-applicant and I would have to write 4 essays or I would be considered a new applicant and I would have to write 3 essays.

Thanks in advance.

called up the office. Anybody who has applied before has to answer the fourth essay!

Last edited by ankitraheja on 27 Oct 2010, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 05:36
inTuna wrote:
Hi All,

Applying R2, had a quick question for current students...how important is it for prospectives to visit Cornell? I don't think I would be able to visit but is Cornell one of those schools (Tuck, Darden, etc..) that really wants prospectives to come on campus before applying?

Any inputs will be appreciated!

Thanks,

That depends on where you live but for the most part yes, they would like you to come visit - unless you live far (west coast, overseas, etc), then you're probably off the hook.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 05:38
Roll call updated.

ventivish, I've included interview invites as well. Please let me know if I've missed anyone and congratulations to all who already got invites. Everyone else, just hang in there, I personally got my interview invite two days before the actual decision notification date last year.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 05:41
sj0509 wrote:
Hi All,

Question for people who have already submitted their apps / Ariel / Anyone who can give a knowledgeable answer :)

In trying to cut down the number of words, if I use SHA instead of School of Hotel Administration, or ORIE instead of School of Operations Research and Information Engineering, will the Adcom know what I am talking about / accept it ?

I understand that adcoms usually frown on abbreviations, but are these types acceptable - given that these are "elements" of Cornell ...

Thanks.

Is there anywhere else you can cut? I'd say these abbreviations are not all that common, you just don't hear people use them very often imho.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 07:46
just got invited for an interview today. American student. app submitted late on 10/5
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS(R1), Stern (R1), Ross (R1), Tepper (R1), Johnson (R1), Fuqua (R1)
WE 1: Management Consulting
WE 2: Management Consulting

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 05:01
For those that got interviews did you get an email saying your ap was "under review" prior to getting the interview email? Or did you just get an interview email.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 07:49
sscrewcaptain wrote:
For those that got interviews did you get an email saying your ap was "under review" prior to getting the interview email? Or did you just get an interview email.

Thanks!

no. got an email then logged on and it says "Invited for interview"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 07:54
Count me in for round 2. Working hard on my essays!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 09:28
It's been a while since I logged in here. I got an interview invite on 10/21 for AMBA program. I submitted my app on 10/05. Just to let you guys know that ariel has been amazingly helpful in this process. Thanks ariel for your wonderful insights and all the help.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 09:33
sj0509 wrote:
Hi All,

Question for people who have already submitted their apps / Ariel / Anyone who can give a knowledgeable answer :)

In trying to cut down the number of words, if I use SHA instead of School of Hotel Administration, or ORIE instead of School of Operations Research and Information Engineering, will the Adcom know what I am talking about / accept it ?

I understand that adcoms usually frown on abbreviations, but are these types acceptable - given that these are "elements" of Cornell ...

Thanks.

I would use the full names on first reference and in brackets the abbreviation and then just the abbreviation in following references. There must be other places to cut words i was a newspaper editor so i know there always are extra words there if you look hard.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 18:39
ariel wrote:
IllustratorBlu wrote:
ariel,

Hows the marketing program at Cornell?
i know its not a marketing school, but whats yours take on it has a student of Johnson.

Johnson has really strong ties with CPG firms in particular. Not sure where exactly in marketing your interests lie, but here's my $0.02. Johnson has a very strong network at Johnson & Johnson (we're a core school and they take tons of people every year), as well as Unilever, Colgate and P&G. The school also places marketing interns/brand managers at financial services and healthcare firms - the big ones are AMEX (tons of alums there) and Amgen. The Marketing association has a really strong presence on campus and pretty much everyone who wanted to do an internship in marketing got one last year. Unfortunately, I don't know much about full-time placements for class of 2010. Strategic Marketing is one of the popular immersions as well.

Great points. But you seem to have forgotten the most obvious firm that recruits marketers from Johnson... SC Johnson.
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2010, 18:39