Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
perseverance wrote:
Initially I was interested in Cornell but now I'm not so sure after hearing and reading somewhat dismal things about their employment rates after graduation etc. Can anyone comment on recruiting at Johnson, specifically regarding bulge bracket and other banks? Any push by the school to get more companies to campus?

Great questions, perseverance. Cornell is a core school at three bulge brackets and places on average 1-3 graduates at each of the rest of the bulge brackets every year (I think the exception being Credit Suisse, who hasn't taken people from Cornell for IB in a couple of years from what I've heard). The Old Ezra club on campus is currently working on enhancing relationships with smaller boutique-style firms as well, there's a fair number of Johnson grads at those (considerable untapped potential). Out of all the 1st years who were interested in Finance this year, 100% got internships in finance. It has been a good year employment-wise for Johnson and I'm sure that information will be made public sooner rather than later.

The downside here being (which I'm sure is a downside for some, but perhaps not most) is that if you are set for career in IB, you're most likely going to end up on Wall street. Clearly, most IB is in NY anyway, but I find that most finance people at Cornell end up on Wall Street on way or another. The only exception are managerial finance folks. If you wanted finance on the west coast or say the mid-west, you're going to have to do a fair amount of off campus search. As an aside however, there's been a tendency (at ALL schools, not just Cornell) to have more and more applicants every year who engage in off-campus career search. It's something like 50-50 right now or even 40-60 (on campus-off campus) these days, but it's a good thing to keep in mind.
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 05:24
ariel wrote:
perseverance wrote:
Initially I was interested in Cornell but now I'm not so sure after hearing and reading somewhat dismal things about their employment rates after graduation etc. Can anyone comment on recruiting at Johnson, specifically regarding bulge bracket and other banks? Any push by the school to get more companies to campus?

Great questions, perseverance. Cornell is a core school at three bulge brackets and places on average 1-3 graduates at each of the rest of the bulge brackets every year (I think the exception being Credit Suisse, who hasn't taken people from Cornell for IB in a couple of years from what I've heard). The Old Ezra club on campus is currently working on enhancing relationships with smaller boutique-style firms as well, there's a fair number of Johnson grads at those (considerable untapped potential). Out of all the 1st years who were interested in Finance this year, 100% got internships in finance. It has been a good year employment-wise for Johnson and I'm sure that information will be made public sooner rather than later.

The downside here being (which I'm sure is a downside for some, but perhaps not most) is that if you are set for career in IB, you're most likely going to end up on Wall street. Clearly, most IB is in NY anyway, but I find that most finance people at Cornell end up on Wall Street on way or another. The only exception are managerial finance folks. If you wanted finance on the west coast or say the mid-west, you're going to have to do a fair amount of off campus search. As an aside however, there's been a tendency (at ALL schools, not just Cornell) to have more and more applicants every year who engage in off-campus career search. It's something like 50-50 right now or even 40-60 (on campus-off campus) these days, but it's a good thing to keep in mind.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful response ariel. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but is there a specified time period during the year where most financial services firms come to campus? I know some schools have set up Super Weeks where first/second round inteviews are held on campus (I think in January?). Does Cornell have something similar?

Also, have you had any interaction with the Career Management Center? How much do they help current students land intership/full time offers?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:39
perseverance wrote:
Thanks for the prompt and helpful response ariel. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but is there a specified time period during the year where most financial services firms come to campus? I know some schools have set up Super Weeks where first/second round inteviews are held on campus (I think in January?). Does Cornell have something similar?

Also, have you had any interaction with the Career Management Center? How much do they help current students land intership/full time offers?

Yes, recruitment is very structured at Johnson. Timing depends on the specific area of finance you're interested in, for instance IB-ers get interviewed first. There are also treks for different career interests throughout Christmas break and beyond. Corporate briefings start mid-September and we've already met with quite a few alumni.

The CMC is very involved in the recruitment process both when it comes to internships as well as full-time ops. They have special programs to prepare you for interviews (Passport, Career Work Groups and Career Programming in addition to the usual one-on-one counseling and mock interviews + mock corporate briefing sessions). Then your chosen immersion prepares you for your actual internship. The CMC staff are exceptionally dedicated and approachable. All of them have numerous years of experience in the industry they advise on, I'm sure they have their bios posted on the Johnson website.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with. I hope I've been able to address your questions so far.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:42
Thanks for all your insight ariel. I've read the CMC staff's bios and they seem to be very credible resources.

Planning to apply in Round 2.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:43
FYI, these are the official numbers for this recruiting year that are going to be published in recruitment brochures as well as the school website. Here's a sneak peek for all GMAT Club members:

2-year class

275 students matriculated
2002 total applications
470 total offers
23% selectivity
59% yield on offers (up from 54% last year)
Median and average age 27 years old with an average of 5 years work experience
25 countries represented in the class
29% female
30% international students
15% under-represented minorities (highest percentage ever)
686 average GMAT
700 median GMAT
Middle 80% GMAT range of 620-740
3.25 average undergraduate GPA
3.27 median undergraduate GPA
15 straight-throughs (defined as less than 1 year full time work experience)

AMBA class

48 students matriculated
168 total applications
76 total offers
45% selectivity
63% yield on offers (up from 42% last year)
Median and average age 29 years old with an average of 5 years work experience
10 counties represented in the class
17% female
50% international students
6% under-represented minorities
697 average GMAT
700 median GMAT
Middle 80% GMAT range of 650-750
3.57 average graduate GPA
3.63 median graduate GPA
4 straight-throughs (defined as less than 1 year full time work experience)
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:47
perseverance wrote:
Thanks for all your insight ariel. I've read the CMC staff's bios and they seem to be very credible resources.

Planning to apply in Round 2.

Best of luck, perseverance. We'll get a roll call going shortly, apologies for the delay. I'm here if there's anything I can help with as you work on your application.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 23:43
Hi Ariel,

Do you think there is a difference between applying to Cornell in Round 1 and Round 3?

Regards,
Louis
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 04:18
MYCambridge wrote:
Hi Ariel,

Do you think there is a difference between applying to Cornell in Round 1 and Round 3?

Regards,
Louis

Louis, I don't think there's a tangible difference between applying in R1 vs R3 (it also depends on what everyone else is doing in any given year, and you don't really know that). As a general rule I'd say apply in the round where you feel the most prepared. Since your essays are a critical component of your application, I'd say apply when you feel you've put together a compelling package - that's far more crucial than which round you apply in. However, I'd try to apply before the final round, R4, as it is incredibly competitive and almost all seats are taken by then. That being said, we've had people on this forum apply in the final round and get in, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 09:01
I am in for Cornell. Have not decided for R1 / R2 yet.

Also, I have been trying to find out essay questions for Cornell on it, & have not found yet. Are the essay questions out yet?

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 10:55
The app is up.

Essay questions are:

Describe your greatest professional achievement and how you added value to your organization. (400 word limit)

What career do you plan to pursue upon completion of an MBA degree and why? How will the Johnson School help you achieve this goal? (400 word limit)

You are the author for the book of Your Life Story. Please write the table of contents for the book.
Note: Approach this essay with your unique style. We value creativity and authenticity. (Required essay) (400 word limit)

Optional: Complete this essay if you would like to add additional details regarding your candidacy. For instance, if you believe one or more aspects of your application (e.g., undergraduate record or test scores) do not accurately reflect your potential for success at the Johnson School. (400 word limit)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 17:15
Hi Everyone,

I just want to get all your thoughts on whether I will be a good fit for Cornell FT MBA. My profile is as follows:

GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.0/4.0
Exp/Quals: 4 years in DoD as a Technology Consultant, 3 years in Civil Government Strategy in a top-tier Management Consulting Firm.
Post MBA Pref: Management Consulting or Finance

I am passionate about Cornell having known a few friends from Uni who graduated last fall. At this stage I am also looking at European and Asia-Pacific schools. The only limiting factor I feel a little subjected about is my age (I recently turned 30).

Any replies and thoughts would most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell (R1),
WE 1: E-Payments (3 years)
WE 2: Semiconductors (3 years)
WE 3: Aerospace & Defense (2 years)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
getmba wrote:
Thanks for the info, ariel! I was under the impression that AMBA students do a 2 week internship in winter as part of management practicum. Thanks for the insight on Phd vs Masters students in the program.

The practicum is a semester long class that culminates in a 2 week internship. You're not required to do it - but a good number (majority) of AMBA's do take it. I would say that there are slightly more non-phd/md's than those with a "DR" before their name.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 00:49
Apping in R2
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 04:48
Problem solved. Cornell is my #1.

Last edited by MYCambridge on 01 Sep 2010, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 16:12
xpiano1978 wrote:
getmba wrote:
Thanks for the info, ariel! I was under the impression that AMBA students do a 2 week internship in winter as part of management practicum. Thanks for the insight on Phd vs Masters students in the program.

The practicum is a semester long class that culminates in a 2 week internship. You're not required to do it - but a good number (majority) of AMBA's do take it. I would say that there are slightly more non-phd/md's than those with a "DR" before their name.

xpiano1978, Thanks a lot for your insight. ariel and you are doing wonderful job to keep prospective applicants informed.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 07:12
I think I'm going to focus on applying to Cornell, and to be better prepared, I'm applying in Round 2 instead of Round 1.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 09:20
getmba wrote:
[...] I would like to visit the campus, but I can't schedule any date yet as Cornell has not opened its school visits for next year students. Any idea when do Cornell open school visits for prospective students.

Found more info on this. Information sessions on campus start on September 20, however if you would like to come earlier, that's fine. You'll be able to meet with current students and sit in on a class if you wish. PM me if you're coming, so I can help put you in touch with the right people.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 03:20
Ariel (or any other current student),
Can you talk about housing options for Johnson students? Cornell's website has a few comments regarding housing but I'm wondering where most Johnson students live. On campus? In apartments off campus?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 03:56
This post received
KUDOS
perseverance wrote:
Ariel (or any other current student),
Can you talk about housing options for Johnson students? Cornell's website has a few comments regarding housing but I'm wondering where most Johnson students live. On campus? In apartments off campus?

I don't believe anyone from our program lives on campus. People generally share a house/apartment or rent an apartment by themselves off campus. The townhouse complex at Fairview (within walking distance) seems to be really popular in addition to some of the following areas (houses/apts scattered all over): The Commons, Summerhill, Belle Sherman (especially for students with families). Hope that helps.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 03:59
Thanks ariel.

Please add me to the roll call for Round 2.
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2010, 03:59