Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 17:49
This post received
KUDOS
Blue Robin- Double check on your GMAT report as Nola 10 pointed out. And in the event you retook the GMAT, definitely send them the official report, but in the meantime also send a scanned report to the adcom member who is your application coordinator. Good luck!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
futurestrategist wrote:
I'm seeking advice. Is it better to interview off-campus with an alumni or on-campus?

Ideally, I'd prefer off-campus due to less strict interviewing time constraints and my grueling work schedule, but if on-campus is more valued, I might consider that instead.

My impression is that Cornell does value the on-campus interview (perhaps more than many schools). Ithaca isn't a cosmopolitan metropolis, so they want to make sure people know what it's like and will enjoy their 2 years. I think this also is a function of where you're located. I met a guy from Philippines at Cornell who had been accepted follow an off campus interview and was visiting to decide which school to attend. Otoh, if you are in the NE US it might not reflect well if you don't make the trek.

My $0.02.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 00:36
This post received
KUDOS
promethean wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find more specifics about the Park Leadership Program?

The literature on the website is somewhat vague about the course work. A few questions I have:
* How many classes does the program contain?
* Are the classes and the service projects on top of a regular class schedule, or do they take the place of other courses?
* Does the program have any obligations during the summer that may affect internship opportunities?
* If selected for a Park interview, how soon are the decisions sent out? Is it prior to or after the initial deposit deadline?

The program sounds like an amazing opportunity, but I want to make sure I understand it.

Appreciate any help.

i was actually chosen as a park fellow a few weeks ago at finalist weekend 1 so here is my feedback on it:

*about 30 sessions over the 2-year period

*on top of a regular class schedule

*no summer obligations per se, but you may want to work on your park project then or something

*everyone who is invited to a park finalist weekend is already accepted. you will likely be called significantly prior to the decision deadline, notifying you of your acceptance and asking you to plan to attend the finalist weekend.

PM me if you have any more questions
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hmmmm.. a few things.

No interview doesn't equal to ding. It means WL or ding. So hope is not lost. It just means more waiting and more ambiguity, which we dread the most. And interview doesn't mean admit. Actually, similar options apply - WL, ding, or admit. It just means more likely to be admitted sooner. So yes, I can be drinking as well.

Also, how can one receive an invitation on a decision notification date? If a R2-er gets one on 2/15, is he in R2 or R3? In other words, it doesn't make sense. I know for a fact that people with stats less stellar than mine got into HBS. But that doesn't mean that I should apply and expect an admit.

The app season began back in October last year. Most of us applied to R1 or ED for a few schools, and while some of us were really successful (I can name kevintay, bless his admit from Johnson and Tuck), some of us weren't, including myself. People feel edgy because of unpredictability of the outcome, NOT the nature of the outcome. I'm all for being nice. But at the same time we are all big boys and girls.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
haha G3, it's not even 10 AM EST yet :P Not even 7 in Cali !!!!

I think it will happen starting today. Let the jitter begin.

And FYI, Johnson adcom, I love you a lot.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 684 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
brainhurt wrote:
:lol:

Good luck. I am pulling for you.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.33
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
For everyone that applied R3 (Jan. 4 deadline), there is still plenty of time for interview calls over the next few weeks. My friend was admitted last year, and I just spoke with him regarding the deadlines. He indicated that his interview invitation came toward the end of February. There is still plenty of time! I know it's just more waiting, but atleast there is hope
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
thepianist wrote:
Has anyone admitted registered for Destination Johnson ? Is it compulsory for all student including international students ?

It is not compulsory but is highly recommended. You get to know about housing, mix with students, get to know about the clubs, etc. Most of the internationals who are not in the US can not make it to DJ. Hey, but guess what, if you go there, you'll get a bag free ! ;)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
received call at 2:17pm est. I'M IN!!!

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
I had been up there for a couple days during Johnson Means Business, so I got my taste of Ithaca then. For my interview I just went up in the evening the night before... stayed at a friends... interviewed in the morning.. then came back home in the afternoon the next day...

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Consulting - 4 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 17:07
This post received
KUDOS
i got an interview invite about 2 weeks ago, and i recently went to a local happy hour arranged by the admissions people, and i'd say half the people at least didn't get an interview yet and they were told by the admissions folks that they haven't gotten to them yet, and it's not bad news.

don't panic yet guys, there's plenty of time left.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Dudes/ettes, as a fellow interviewless R3 applicant, I know what you're going through. This past weekend I was really bummed thinking about all this and how I don't have a single admit yet. The usual thoughts like, "so much for my future" and "I suck".

I decided look through last year's thread, however, and discovered that the R3 applicants went through the same thing. Other than a random early invite here or there, the R3 invites didn't really start until the first week of March, and they continued right up to the decision date. One person didn't even hear anything on the d-date, and then got an invite about a week later! With respect to the timing, last year lots of people were saying, "only 2 weeks until decision day, I'm screwed." Then they got an invite that said they would have to complete their interview by a certain date (as short as 2 days) if they wanted a decision by d-day. The alternative was simply that their decision would come a little later.

This all gave me a great sense of relief. Given that the GC membership is probably stronger on average than the overall applicant pool, it seems likely that the same thing is happening this year.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
Interview invite here. *massive sigh of relief*
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.59
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 62

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks guys.

Brainhurt and others who got invites - Good luck!!

To all others, who are still waiting (incl. madzy) - hang in there. I subitted 1st Jan and went under review a couple of weeks later so we know that long wait is modus operandi as far as cornell is concerned! All the best!

If you like it, Kudos please!
My Profile: 2011-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-93850-140.html#p892848

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Got an interview invite this morning. International (South America)! I am in disbelief... Extremely happy here.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
litser wrote:
Thank you! I actually didn't get any options. They asked me to contact my application manager to schedule the interview. They did mention to do so as soon as possible. I am trying to sort out when can I actually travel before giving them a call. Will keep you guys posted on that matter.

No options specified?!? Da-da-duuuuum!! (that's a dramatic sound effect.) The mystery grows!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.59
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 62

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
lol...

Nothing compared to what's happening over on the Ross thread. 6 pages of utterly useless speculation!! (but still enjoying every bit of it).

If you like it, Kudos please!
My Profile: 2011-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-93850-140.html#p892848

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
masanyse wrote:
To brainhurt , 5pm and litser congats

~~~~i am afraid i am the only person in r3 still waiting

Thanks! Based on last year's thread, there should be a bunch more invites yet, try not to stress too much (like that's possible).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
I've been biting my tongue for awhile, but I think this needs to be said. I went through this process in round 2, and am waiting for a decision from another school, so I've been in the same boat. I know how difficult waiting is, and the anxiety that it brings. That said, the decision deadline is more than 2 weeks away, and it's been established in this forum that interview invitations can be sent up to and including that deadline day. I don't have any personal experience here, but if I were the AdCom (or another person answering the phone who sees AdCom members multiple times daily), I would not take well to receiving an e-mail (or worse, a phone call) from someone who is waiting anxiously to receive an interview invite. To me, such a thing would be an indicator of impatience, immaturity and inability to follow directions. If you were going to receive an interview invite eventually, I would think that would be a strike against you, and if you weren't, even worse. It may be that this process is so large and complex that perhaps they don't or won't connect the dots, but is it really worth the chance? Whoever answers the phone is likely going to tell you what you already know - that interview invitations can still be sent out over the next two weeks. So it sounds to me like a risk not worth taking.

Again, having been there myself, I know this process is stressful. My advice would be to find something to distract you from the minute-by-minute grind of waiting for invites, news, etc. There's no point in stressing over how long it's been since your application went under review (I may be wrong, but I highly doubt there's a scientific correlation there). Just be patient and show everyone at the school, from the AdCom to the staff in the Admissions Office, that you are who your application says you are - a qualified and poised future business leader.

Best of luck to all who are still waiting!
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2011, 15:13