Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [2] , given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 23:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Welcome All Johnson Fall 2011 Applicants!

This thread is for the Cornell Johnson 2011 Application Year, meaning applicants that are starting School in the Fall of 2011.

Please direct all of your questions for this year into the 2012 thread

johnson-cornell-2012-applicants-119510.html

Current Students and Admits, please continue your discussions here:

admitted-to-cornell-johnson-class-of-2011-amba-89309.html

If you're a 2011 Johnson School applicant, please fill out your details HERE!

Application Deadlines:

Round 1: October 5, 2010
Round 2: November 9, 2010
Round 3: January 4, 2011
Round 4: March 22, 2011

2011 Essay Questions

Describe your greatest professional achievement and how you added value to your organization. (400 word limit)

What career do you plan to pursue upon completion of an MBA degree and why? How will the Johnson School help you achieve this goal? (400 word limit)

You are the author for the book of Your Life Story. Please write the table of contents for the book.
Note: Approach this essay with your unique style. We value creativity and authenticity. (Required essay) (400 word limit)

Optional: Complete this essay if you would like to add additional details regarding your candidacy. For instance, if you believe one or more aspects of your application (e.g., undergraduate record or test scores) do not accurately reflect your potential for success at the Johnson School. (400 word limit)

2011 Prospective Student Information:
http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/prospectivestudents/

Application Guide FAQ:
http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/academic ... e/faq.html

Academics: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/academic ... demic.html

GMATClub Ambassador Thread: cornell-university-the-johnson-school-63492.html

2010 thread:
calling-all-cornell-johnson-fall-2010-applicants-78735.html

Last edited by bb on 24 Aug 2011, 10:21, edited 20 times in total.
images added
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
Round 3 dudes and dudettes:

I think the adcom's official position is right on the correlation between invitation date and turn-to-under review date - there is none. I think mine (round 2-er) changed like a week later, and got an invitation on 12/22. If you look at earlycareermba, he/she received one like a week after the submission date - so yes, it is random.

FYI, I received an invitation e-mail a day after the status on my app page changed. The invitation you would receive will say "Johnson Interview Invite". Thus, yes, periodically checking your app page does pay off :-D

Round 3-ers shouldn't worry much at this point. Trust me, when earlycareermba got the invitation, all Round 2-ers freaked out.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '13
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [2] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone, I just got back from a brief campus visit/ interview at Cornell. Just thought I'd share my experience. Hopefully it will be of some use to everyone else...

Questions asked in my interview:

1. Tell me about your work experience. How did you end up doing what you do? What led to that career choice?
2. (Asked follow up questions about my work experience.)
3. Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision at work
4. Why MBA?
5. What measures are you taking to ensure that you are academically prepared for the rigorous coursework at Cornell?
6. What have you done to learn about your future career path in greater depth?
7. Is there anything else the ad com should know about you?
8. What questions do you have for me?

Summary: The Johnson School interview at Cornell was a little less laid back than some of the other schools I've interviewed at. I'm not sure if that was because I had an ad com member interviewing me, or if that is always the case. My interviewer was all about getting down to business. For those of you considering a campus visit I would HIGHLY recommend staying for a class visit. My travel plans changed due to weather, which forced me to cancel my class visit. My interviewer expressed her disappointment that I would be unable to sit in on a class, and I could detect a slight reprimand from her. Hopefully that didn't hurt my interview! Good luck to everyone applying!!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I am a R3 AMBA applicant. I had my interview last week, thought I should share my experience.

I attended the info session and a class as well. The Intl' finance class was pretty good, but info session was pretty ok. My interviewer was a 2Y MBA student, so I was a bit surprized. The questions were ok -

1. Walk me through your profile, explain why you took up particular positions and how you landed in your current job.
2. Give me an example of teamwork where you took the lead
3. What is your definition of success in a team activity?
4. How do you put your point across?
5. How do you take decisions? Walk me through your decision making process.
6. Give an example of a situation when you came up with an innovative/out of the box approach to solve a problem.
7. Why do you want to do whatever you plan to do after MBA
8. Why MBA? Why now? Why Johnson?
9. Any questions you have for me?

The whole thing lasted about 50 minutes.

After the interview, I met a couple of AMBA students and learnt more abt the program...looks like placements have been pretty good so far this year...heard that nearly 65% had offers already.

Overall, Ithaca & Cornell look pretty....Sage Hall has a pretty cozy feel and people appear to be pretty friendly.

Good Luck everyone!

My profile: 720/M/Indian/WE 7 yrs Ops-SCM-Industry-Consulting/Masters/GPA 3.77
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 7

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 19:40
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,
I interviewed in R1 and I know that it is a little late to share my experience. But I think it may still be helpful for those who are awaiting interviews. I received an interview a week within the decision deadline. I want those who are waiting to know that please remain positive. No matter how hard it is, stay positive.

Here is my experience. I have to mention that I absolutely loved Ithaca. It is a very quaint town and very picturesque. My interview was in the afternoon on Tuesday so I arrived on Monday afternoon. I hadn't scheduled the campus visit which I regret no doing. So if you have a chance to do that, definitely it is a must!!! I arrived at Sage Hall and met my interviewer and went to a small interview room. We chatted a bit about my trip to Ithaca and then started with the interview.

Questions
1) Why MBA (first question, I distinctly remember b/c I was thrown off guard as I expected a walk me thru your resume)
2) What are you doing now? (Resume question that I expected the conversation to begin with :)
3) Tell us about a leadership experience, then a follow-up question on the impact it had on my organization
4) How would you add to the Johnson community?
5) Why do you want to an MBA now?
6) What do you like to do outside work?
7) What other schools are you applying to? (I added why I applied to those schools, even though I wasn't asked)
8) What is something that isn't on your resume, that you would like the admissions committee to know about you and your candidacy?
9) Weakness question (I also added how I address the weakness although I wasn't asked)

The 30 minutes went by really quick. I came out of the interview unable to judge at all how it went. I had answered the questions, but didn't know if I was able to connect at a personal level. But I was super-surprised and delighted when I received the call on Thursday from Ann Richards. We spoke for 10 minutes about my visit to Ithaca and my experience. She was happy to hear my experience. I believe that the community feel at Cornell is awesome due to the relatively smaller class size and the its location. I think that's one thing that really stands out for me. If you are looking to build life-long friends, relationships, people you can call anytime, then I think the program really offers that. Ofcourse, that is my outsider perspective and Ariel and other current students are in a more suitable position to comment. But I absolutely loved Ithaca, and could envision myself spending 2 years there. Good luck!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.59
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 62

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 13:57
This post received
KUDOS
mba2011app wrote:
Congrats brainhurt! I'm sure there's another spot for a male from Toronto! Fingers crossed for you.

Happy to report that brainhurt's prediction is spot on!! Got my interview invite a short while ago too!

If you like it, Kudos please!
My Profile: 2011-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-93850-140.html#p892848

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [2] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
My fliends, I've attached the list of Cornell interview questions I'm using to prepare. The questions are grouped roughly by topic, and I took them from the various posts from people who have completed their interviews and a few from Rhyme's list of interview questions.

Good luck!
Attachments

Cornell Johnson Interview Qs.doc [28 KiB]
Downloaded 45 times

To download please login or register as a user

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
Glad you guys found the list useful.

I finally got to the bottom of the mystery surrounding my interview invite. Turns out that they did not, in fact, send me the invitation in error. (phew!) They wanted me to interview with a person from the CMC, which makes sense since my resume reads a little strangely. They didn't hear back from the CMC person, so they decided to just book me with an admissions person rather than make me wait. My interview is on Monday.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 16:27
This post received
KUDOS
masanyse wrote:
Cornell University is CLOSED as of 4:30 AM Monday, March 7, 2011
3/7/2011 5:45:00 AM

University to Close at 4:30 A.M., Monday, March 7, 2011 and Re-open at 11:45 A.M., with classes beginning at 12:20 P.M.

Cornell University will close effective 4:30 AM Monday, March 7, 2011. The University is expected to reopen at 11:45 AM Monday, March 7, 2011, with classes beginning at 12:20 PM. Essential personnel, or personnel expressly requested to report to their workplace during the closure, should consult with their supervisor as to their individual start times.
Please check the University's operating status page for updates.

Despite the snowstorm, I was able to keep my interview appointment at 11:15 this morning. My interviewer (in true Canadian fashion) actually got to work on her snowshoes!

Overall I felt the interview went really well. It was pretty laid back and conversational. The questions, as I remember them, were:

- Tell me about yourself
- Elaborate on your short/long term goals (with follow-up specific to my answer)
- Why Cornell?
- Where else are you applying?
- Talk about a time when you had to deliver bad news or fire someone
- Talk about a time when you faced a difficult situation within a team setting.
- Is there anything the admissions committee should know about you that may not come through in your application?
- Do you have any questions for me?

In addition we chatted at the beginning and end about our shared backgrounds (both Canadian, and she was even from the same town as me!, both have kids, both love hockey). I think I could have been more coherent on some of the why's. Also, when she asked where else I was applying I told her the schools and that's about it, thinking that she would follow up with some further questions, but she pretty much just said ok and moved on. Felt like I missed the opportunity to emphasize that though I was applying to these other schools I really want to come to Cornell. I covered the Why Cornell pretty well elsewhere so hopefully that's ok.

I could be totally delusional, but I was really pleased with how it went, and I'm very hopeful for good news on the 22nd.

Good luck to everyone still interviewing!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
Just got a call from JGSM - I'm in.

I applied in R2 and was waitlisted. Sent a supplementary recommendation, and it paid off.

760 GMAT, 22 yo international applicant (spent five years studying in the US), straight-through (currently a college senior in a tier 4 school), 3.3 cumulative GPA, 1 year tech entrepreneurship experience.

Feels like I consumed some potent drug right now.... :)
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
In. GL to everyone waiting!

Posted from my mobile device Image

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia(ding), Cornell(IN! - $), Duke(IN! - $), Kellogg(ding), UCLA(WL)

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call!! I'm in! No scholarship news but I'm in!!

Boston/F/ 25/ 690/ 3.6 Top Liberal Arts School/3 Yr WE in econ consulting/ ok extracurriculars
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell
WE 1: Software Engineer (4 yrs at matriculation)

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
rainmaker123 wrote:
Congrats promethean! What all did you do after they placed you on WL?

Thanks, I'm stoked --

I attended the WL webinar.
I emailed Heidi expressing my interest in Johnson and asking for any advice to improve my profile.
I emailed Heidi the next day after receiving an offer from another graduate program -- I let her know I had to reply by April 5th.
She emailed back saying that they would give me a final decision before then.
One of my co-workers sent an additional letter of rec.

I didn't intend to spam them like that, but the offer from the other program shortened my timetable.

To everyone on WL, have hope -- he said I was the first WL they've contacted so far.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
perseverance wrote:
Initially I was interested in Cornell but now I'm not so sure after hearing and reading somewhat dismal things about their employment rates after graduation etc. Can anyone comment on recruiting at Johnson, specifically regarding bulge bracket and other banks? Any push by the school to get more companies to campus?

Great questions, perseverance. Cornell is a core school at three bulge brackets and places on average 1-3 graduates at each of the rest of the bulge brackets every year (I think the exception being Credit Suisse, who hasn't taken people from Cornell for IB in a couple of years from what I've heard). The Old Ezra club on campus is currently working on enhancing relationships with smaller boutique-style firms as well, there's a fair number of Johnson grads at those (considerable untapped potential). Out of all the 1st years who were interested in Finance this year, 100% got internships in finance. It has been a good year employment-wise for Johnson and I'm sure that information will be made public sooner rather than later.

The downside here being (which I'm sure is a downside for some, but perhaps not most) is that if you are set for career in IB, you're most likely going to end up on Wall street. Clearly, most IB is in NY anyway, but I find that most finance people at Cornell end up on Wall Street on way or another. The only exception are managerial finance folks. If you wanted finance on the west coast or say the mid-west, you're going to have to do a fair amount of off campus search. As an aside however, there's been a tendency (at ALL schools, not just Cornell) to have more and more applicants every year who engage in off-campus career search. It's something like 50-50 right now or even 40-60 (on campus-off campus) these days, but it's a good thing to keep in mind.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell (R1),
WE 1: E-Payments (3 years)
WE 2: Semiconductors (3 years)
WE 3: Aerospace & Defense (2 years)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
getmba wrote:
Thanks for the info, ariel! I was under the impression that AMBA students do a 2 week internship in winter as part of management practicum. Thanks for the insight on Phd vs Masters students in the program.

The practicum is a semester long class that culminates in a 2 week internship. You're not required to do it - but a good number (majority) of AMBA's do take it. I would say that there are slightly more non-phd/md's than those with a "DR" before their name.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 03:56
This post received
KUDOS
perseverance wrote:
Ariel (or any other current student),
Can you talk about housing options for Johnson students? Cornell's website has a few comments regarding housing but I'm wondering where most Johnson students live. On campus? In apartments off campus?

I don't believe anyone from our program lives on campus. People generally share a house/apartment or rent an apartment by themselves off campus. The townhouse complex at Fairview (within walking distance) seems to be really popular in addition to some of the following areas (houses/apts scattered all over): The Commons, Summerhill, Belle Sherman (especially for students with families). Hope that helps.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 21:03
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not quite sure where the rumor that some schools are welcoming of students with undefined career objectives is coming from. That is simply not true. It is not true of Cornell, or any other school I'm aware of. While you don't have to necessarily cite a specific company you want to work for, you better be sure you know what you want to do post-MBA (or at least be convincing enough that you do).

If you don't have clear career goals, it's very hard, even impossible, to come across as an ambitious and focused person who will drive results (and those are the type of people schools want).

That being said, most people don't quite know what they want to do - that's a part of the whole learning experience (it's ok when you're here, not quite ok during the admissions process).

alwaysmiling, I'd suggest that you read up on both career options (Vault and Wet feet might be good sources) and see which one is the one you're more interested in. The trick is that you have to come up with a convincing enough argument - what is your experience so far, what portion of it can you transport to your chosen field and why you want to get into that particular field. It should all make sense, beyond that there are no right or wrong answers.

Regarding immersions, you're expected to declare an immersion in October, but that is not something you should worry about at this point. No one will hold you to whatever you wrote in your application. You can say investment banking in your application, then decide that the strategic marketing immersion is the right one for you, etc. Regarding your question on clearly defined objectives - most of my classmates have an idea of what they want to do but few of them are dead set on a specific path. You're expected to at least know what's out there, but no one expects you to know what you want to do for the rest of your life upfront (caveat: again you're off the hook only AFTER you get that admit call). That is not to say that the school is receptive of applicants who don't know what they want to do. You'll be well served to have a convincing argument about a specific career path. Your chances of getting into a decent school (ANY decent school) without having a clearly articulated career path are slim at best.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about your particular background and how you can position yourself to make sure you have a story that makes sense - I'm happy to help as much as I can. Same for anyone else out there wondering about the same thing.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 16:55
This post received
KUDOS
Rebranding at Johnson:

http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/news/Joh ... 92310.html

this is sort of a big deal at the school right now, so I thought I'd share with you as interview invites will be rolling in this fall and this is a good thing to know.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
bosunnusob wrote:
Hi Ariel,

Thank you for your willingness to answer questions on the forum! I was wondering if you may shed some light on the Park Leadership Fellowship program, specifically, 1) if their "leadership" designed course is much different from a customized Immersions option that focuses on leadership, and 2) if these fellows are identified/known by the class, or if they blend in seamlessly with the other students.

Thank you in advance!

Customized immersions (and all immersions really) generally build on more technical skills (finance, IB, capital makets/asset management, etc). Leadership training is a part of a separate program LSP that is accessible to all students (usually classes on Fridays and Saturdays for extra credit). That being said, we're all required to take leadership courses as part of the core (Managing and Leading in Organizations, Team Leadership Experience, etc with Mannix/O'Connor and Risa Mish respectively).

Park Fellows blend seamlessly with the rest of the class, I know of a couple but that's about it. I know they have some workshops they have to attend, but I don't know much beyond that.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 16:44
This post received
KUDOS
btk wrote:
Maybe that's a stupid question but what is expected in the application section that asks to elaborate on the sources prompting you to apply? Since there is a whole essay on Why MBA, why Johnson, etc., it must be asking for different information.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

what would prompt you to apply? students, friends, the website, alumni, faculty

essay--immersion programs, ithaca, nY, etc..

they're slightly different
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2010, 16:44