Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [2] , given: 45

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 23:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Welcome All Johnson Fall 2011 Applicants!

This thread is for the Cornell Johnson 2011 Application Year, meaning applicants that are starting School in the Fall of 2011.

Please direct all of your questions for this year into the 2012 thread

johnson-cornell-2012-applicants-119510.html

Current Students and Admits, please continue your discussions here:

admitted-to-cornell-johnson-class-of-2011-amba-89309.html

If you're a 2011 Johnson School applicant, please fill out your details HERE!

Application Deadlines:

Round 1: October 5, 2010
Round 2: November 9, 2010
Round 3: January 4, 2011
Round 4: March 22, 2011

2011 Essay Questions

Describe your greatest professional achievement and how you added value to your organization. (400 word limit)

What career do you plan to pursue upon completion of an MBA degree and why? How will the Johnson School help you achieve this goal? (400 word limit)

You are the author for the book of Your Life Story. Please write the table of contents for the book.
Note: Approach this essay with your unique style. We value creativity and authenticity. (Required essay) (400 word limit)

Optional: Complete this essay if you would like to add additional details regarding your candidacy. For instance, if you believe one or more aspects of your application (e.g., undergraduate record or test scores) do not accurately reflect your potential for success at the Johnson School. (400 word limit)

2011 Prospective Student Information:
http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/prospectivestudents/

Application Guide FAQ:
http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/academic ... e/faq.html

Academics: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/academic ... demic.html

GMATClub Ambassador Thread: cornell-university-the-johnson-school-63492.html

2010 thread:
calling-all-cornell-johnson-fall-2010-applicants-78735.html

Last edited by bb on 24 Aug 2011, 10:21, edited 20 times in total.
images added
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 06:47
Apply to Cornell Round 1. Anyone?
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Financial Services, 2 years (3 at matriculation)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 08:43
I'm in for R1 for 2011 as well. Working through essays now.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Financial Services, 2 years (3 at matriculation)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 13:42
Anybody aware if Cornell has an aversion to applicants without clearly defined career paths. To elaborate: is there any risk if, in the career essay, an applicant gives a rough career path rather than a clearly defined one (i.e., "I'd like to work in XYZ industry with the following key aspects in the job" verses "I want to work in X industry doing Y job with A, B, and C characteristics")?

Any light to be shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 3

Nitty Gritty Cornell Application question [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 01:20
Right, so a quick question: for the "education" section do you only fill in your undergraduate University or do you also fill in your high school as an institution?
Same goes for the transcripts, do they need high school transcripts?

Thanks for your help!!!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Nitty Gritty Cornell Application question [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 07:56
chambax wrote:
Right, so a quick question: for the "education" section do you only fill in your undergraduate University or do you also fill in your high school as an institution?
Same goes for the transcripts, do they need high school transcripts?

Thanks for your help!!!

I haven't applied to Cornell so I don't know if there's something in particular with their application that's prompting your question, but based on my applications to other schools I don't think they want to know your high school info, and almost certainly not your high school transcripts. The other apps I've seen specify "university" or "undergraduate".

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 22:03
Yeah
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 19:37
Hi everyone... i'm applying in R1
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 09:52
Hi ppl, new 1st year student here... Preliminary data says that acceptance rate for the class of 2012 was 15% - one of the most competitive years ever. If I hear anything new will let you know!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Schools: Yale
WE 1: Tax - Big 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 15:52
In for Round 1! Good luck, everybody!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke , Darden , Tuck , Ross

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 11:19
Cornell is a great school and I am planning to apply round 1. Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on their unique question 3, table of contents..how are the fellow applicants planning to approach this? I was thinking of creating a list and sub-headings to highlight that event.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 18:51
Cornellian12 wrote:
Hi ppl, new 1st year student here... Preliminary data says that acceptance rate for the class of 2012 was 15% - one of the most competitive years ever. If I hear anything new will let you know!

I thought they said 20% or so during math camp (I didn't go but that's what someone told me)? Where did you hear the 15%?
Current Student

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 18:57
inTuna wrote:
Cornell is a great school and I am planning to apply round 1. Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on their unique question 3, table of contents..how are the fellow applicants planning to approach this? I was thinking of creating a list and sub-headings to highlight that event.

List and sub-headings would work. I don't think there's one right way of doing this, they just want you to be creative, so try to highlight points in your life that you want them to focus on (also to reinforce the brand you've already created throughout your app).

As an aside, I apologize that I haven't been on as much as I'd like, but orientation is crazy at the moment (I'm a first year student at Johnson). I'll be posting a roll call thread that is formatted as per GC rules and we'll get some lists going. I appreciate your patience and in the meantime, I'll try to address promptly any questions potential applicants might have, so post away :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 10:00
Quote:
I'll try to address promptly any questions potential applicants might have, so post away :)

ariel, I will be the first one to ask I guess. I know you are pursuing 2 year program, but do you have any idea about the acceptance rate in AMBA program? I would like to visit the campus, but I can't schedule any date yet as Cornell has not opened its school visits for next year students. Any idea when do Cornell open school visits for prospective students.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 17:10
I will be applying round 2
Current Student

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 11:28
getmba wrote:
ariel, I will be the first one to ask I guess. I know you are pursuing 2 year program, but do you have any idea about the acceptance rate in AMBA program? I would like to visit the campus, but I can't schedule any date yet as Cornell has not opened its school visits for next year students. Any idea when do Cornell open school visits for prospective students.

getmba, I'd imagine school visits would commence within a month or so. I also know that Ann Richards from Admissions will be on the road pretty soon to meet with applicants across the country, so I'd also watch for MBA forums and events where JGSM might be participating as well.

Regarding the AMBA program, it is my understanding that it is slightly less selective in terms of percentage, but admitted applicants tend to have higher GMAT scores on average, more work experience and advanced degrees. The AMBA students I have met so far are all PhD's but I'm sure there is a fair number with masters degrees only. Keep in mind that AMBA's don't have immersions or internships and as such are not as well positioned for a career switch as a student from the two year program would be.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 10:23
Thanks for the info, ariel! I was under the impression that AMBA students do a 2 week internship in winter as part of management practicum. Thanks for the insight on Phd vs Masters students in the program.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 10:57
You betcha! Targetting R1
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 23

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 17:54
Initially I was interested in Cornell but now I'm not so sure after hearing and reading somewhat dismal things about their employment rates after graduation etc. Can anyone comment on recruiting at Johnson, specifically regarding bulge bracket and other banks? Any push by the school to get more companies to campus?
Current Student

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 19:12
getmba wrote:
Thanks for the info, ariel! I was under the impression that AMBA students do a 2 week internship in winter as part of management practicum. Thanks for the insight on Phd vs Masters students in the program.

You are aboslutely correct - there is a two week internship as part of the management practicum for AMBA's (in January if I'm not mistaken), but it's debatable whether that experience is sufficient in length to gain a broad hands-on exposure. For perspective, students enrolled in the two year program get 10 weeks of internship + immersion learning in the spring semester of their first year. Generally, the AMBA program is recommended for candidates who already have a specific idea about what they want to do post-MBA.
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants!   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2010, 19:12