Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
WE:Other (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Consulting (Retail)
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Anyone found any details about the second round interviews beyond what's provided on the admissions blog and in the interview invitation emails?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Anyone heard back from Jenna after 1st interview?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just to remind everyone, we have a chat with Cornell's admission director - Ann Richards - on GMAT Club tomorrow at 9 AM Pacific Time. Hope to see you all in the chat.

GMAT Club Chat Room: https://gmatclub.com/gchat/

Good Luck!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Consulting (Retail)
Completed my 2nd round - fingers crossed now!

I went to NY to do it on-campus. It really is very different so I would recommend you visit, especially if you think its not too different from a traditional MBA.

Interview lasted about 40 minutes, conducted by Sr. Director of Admissions.
-10 minutes (by the clock, complete with 2 minute warning) for you to present your case
-5-10 minutes of questions on the case
-tell me about your career in a way not apparent in the resume/application (i used my interests to explain why i picked particular education/career path, not sure what they were looking for exactly though)
-why MBA
-why technology
-Q&A
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Applicants,

Here is summary and transcript of recent Cornell Admissions chat.

Good luck!!

How long after the interview should we expect to hear a decision on our application?

Cornell_Gail: We are releasing final decisions on a rolling basis post-interview. While timelines may be flexible, the Admissions Committee will make every attempt to release a final decision within approximately 3-4 weeks post-interview

I am an Indian national with an MBA degree from a top 10 institute in India. Does Cornell have a history of accepting candidates with an MBA to its two year MBA program?

Cornell_Ann: We look holistically at each application and have admitted candidates with a prior MBA, but it's important that you explain why you want to pursue an MBA from Johnson.

For R2 applications, if someone does not have a really high GMAT score and want to retake, can we submit the score later? Let’s say by Dec. Only after all parameters are there will the Adcom have interview with the candidate or interview can even happen before that?

Cornell_Gail: The Admissions Committee will only review complete applications. Therefore if you plan to re-take the GMAT or GRE after submitting your application, please note your plans in the optional essay. Your application will be made incomplete until we receive an updated score report. Invitations to interview will not be issued until an application is deemed complete and reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

For international students, is there a difference between applying in round two and applying in round 3?

Cornell_Ann: Great question. Please don't assume if you apply in one of the later rounds, you won't be admitted. We admit candidates in every round. You should submit your application when it is as strong as possible.

My question is regarding the interview process followed at Cornell? Like, are these blind interviews or the interviewer has read your application before-hand?

Cornell_Gail: Our interviews are semi-blind. The interviewer will have reviewed basic information about your application but will likely not have reviewed it in its entirety before your interview. Having said that, it is important that you be able to speak to any aspect of your application during your interview!

If we submit the GMAT score now, have interviews and later update the Adcom with the new score, will that be considered? Actually this question boils down to R2 vs R3. Chances of admission will be slimmer the later I apply with all documents, right?

Cornell_Gail: The Admissions Committee cannot guarantee that it will consider materials submitted post-interview. I recommend that you submit your application when it is strongest regardless of round.

When will the next wave of interview invitations be sent out?

Cornell_Ann: Our interview invitations are sent out on a rolling basis. We have recently installed new interview scheduling software, so a bunch of invitations were sent out last week, but going forward, they will be sent out on a rolling basis. If you applied in Round 1, you can expect to learn your interview decision by December 15. Please check our website for the other important application decision dates.

What kind of relationships do MBA professors and faculty members have with students outside of classroom affairs? What is the MBA culture like in general outside of designated class times?

Cornell_Gail: We have a fantastic community at Cornell! It really is one of the differentiating aspects of our program. I would encourage you to engage with our students and community throughout the admissions process, as you will find them to be welcoming and encouraging of your pursuits. Faculty works closely with students inside and outside of the classroom.

Hello, I am an international applicant aiming one year course. Would it be okay to apply R3? The final round?

Cornell_Heidi: Hello, you can apply for round 3 for the one year but that would be the last round due to the classes starting in early may

Hello, I am wondering if official transcripts are required to be submit during the application process. Or, do unofficial transcripts work until an offer is made?

Cornell_Ann: You can submit your unofficial transcript with your application; however, any offer of admission is pending receipt and review of official transcripts.

I have a specific question regarding scheduling of the interview. As the final decisions are on a rolling basis, will I be at a disadvantage if I schedule my interview for a later date in a round?

Cornell_Gail: As I said previously, we will admit qualified candidates throughout the entire admissions cycle. Therefore, I encourage you to schedule your interview when it is most convenient for you. Of course, the sooner you schedule, the sooner you can receive a final decision!

It might not be possible for my recommenders to submit the recommendation letter on the company letterhead. What should I do in that case? Is it alright if they upload it as a word document?

Cornell_Ann: Your recommenders can upload their recommendation on company letterhead, or as just a word document; either is fine.

For the two year MBA at Ithaca, what percentage of students lives on facilities of the university?

Cornell_Gail: We are very fortunate that our MBA students have many options when it comes to housing in Ithaca. While on-campus housing is available, many of our students opt to live in apartments or shared houses in close proximity to campus.

I have been very excited about the Big Red Design Thinking Club at Cornell. Could you explain a bit about any experiential learning opportunities offered within the club?

Cornell_Ann: We've been very lucky to have a design thinking class for the last several semesters. I think most everyone in this year's graduating class has enrolled in Design Thinking. It's great and fun and is a mini version of the D school at Stanford.

Do you have any suggestions for the Table of Contents essay?

Cornell_Gail: Great question! The Table of Contents essay is a beloved Johnson classic and is truly designed for us to get to you know you better. We encourage you to be yourself and are welcome to be creative. There is no right or wrong way to answer the question.

How is Cornell adapting or changing its curriculum to suit the change in the job market in the recent years? What changes are on the horizon? How have employers reacted to these changes in Cornell's curriculum or program?

Cornell_Ann: As I mentioned in my intro, I've been at Johnson for a long, long time. One thing we have always been very good at is responding to the market. We just created a revised, integrated core curriculum that incorporates more leadership and strategy. We'll continue to tweak our process as we receive feedback from students, faculty and corporate partners.

I was wondering what is the average size of MBA classes and if you could describe the relationship between students and professors? For example, do students participate in activities with their professors outside of class?

Cornell_Gail: There are approximately 275 students in our 2-Year Residential program and 80 in our 1-Year MBA program. Our faculty is highly engaged and works very closely with our students inside and outside of our classes. Our faculty is here to teach and grow the next generation of business leaders and our students see their commitment as one of the best parts of a Cornell MBA!

Is it possible to combine The Semester in Strategic Operations (SSO) Immersion with the Consulting Program?

Cornell_Heidi: The Strategic Operations immersion is a full semester and the consulting program is more of a check list of classes you can do anytime.

Could you walk us through the cross campus collaboration opportunities with other institutes within Cornell University such as Cornell Tech?

Cornell_Ann: Students in our 2-year program have the opportunity to take nearly a full semester of classes outside of Johnson. We are currently developing ways to integrate with the NYTech program. This semester for instance, we have two students on "exchange" with the Tech campus in Manhattan.

what else does the school value in their MBA applicants apart from having a strong sense of leadership skills and team spirit?

Cornell_Ann: We look for a track record of success, academically, professionally and personally. Make sure your application reflects your achievements and accomplishments.

So as long as I mention about a pending document in the optional essay, will I be eligible for R2, provided I provide it within Dec '15?

Cornell_Gail: If you plan to retake a standardized test post-application submission, your application will be rendered incomplete pending receipt of an updated score report. Only completed applications that are submitted by the deadline are guaranteed initial notification by the stated deadline. If your application is rendered incomplete, we are not obligated to release a decision by the stated deadline.

If you have interviewed previously at Johnson, would you expect a further interview as a reapplicant second time around if successful? Thanks a lot

Cornell_Heidi: Your new application will be reviewed in its entirety and you will get an initial notification by December 15th.

Does Cornell publish acceptance rates by each round? Is there a benefit in applying via round 1 vs. round 3 for example?

Cornell_Gail: we do not publish acceptance rates by round. As previously stated, we encourage you to apply when your application is strongest!

I have another question about immersion program. Can I choose the company I would like to immerse?

Cornell_Ann: The immersion faculty selects industry and corporate partners to participate in the immersion each year. You may have the opportunity to select which of the participate projects or cases you'd like to work on (depending on the immersion), but you can't select which companies participate.

How is the one year program being perceived by the industry, are they both at par in terms of recruitments and salaries offered?

Cornell_Gail: Recruiters love working with Johnson MBA students in both our One-Year and Two Year programs! Our annual data show us that graduates of the One-Year MBA program are as competitive in the marketplace as their Two-Year classmates. I encourage you to review the CMC's employment reports for additional information.

What is one thing about Cornell that prospective students will NOT get to know from online resources like the college website or chat rooms?

Cornell_Ann: I think the element that continues to impress candidates and visitors to Johnson is how tight knit the community is here. This is promoted on our website (as it is on many schools websites). Having just hosted over 100 candidates at JWiB and JMB events, many candidates expressed just how surprised they were at the genuineness of our community

Could you please talk a little about The Smith Family Business Initiative at Cornell?

Cornell_Gail: The Smith Family Business Initiative is a fantastic resource at Johnson! It is designed to support family businesses and prepare MBA candidates to manage them throughout their careers. Great information can be found here: https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Smith-F ... at-Cornell

With the workplace being so dynamic, how does Cornell link current students with alumni? Is there a dynamic process set up to link students with alumni?

Cornell_Ann: Many of our alumni return to campus for on campus recruiting and information sessions. We also have a number of alums who participate as guest lecturers, sit in on panels for our events, and of course as a Johnson student, you're encouraged to reach out to alumni in the companies and fields you're interested in.

What percentage of current students is pursuing dual degrees?

Cornell_Ann: About 15% of students are formally participating in one of the many dual degree options at Johnson. However, a very large percentage of our students take classes at other colleges and programs at Cornell, notably Engineering, Law, Real Estate and HR.

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
Cornell Admissions Chat 10th November 15.pdf [1.3 MiB]
Downloaded 37 times
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IRBunny

I flew to NYC for the 2nd round interview as well from the West Coast.

IRBunny gave a good breakdown of the in person interview process. I was asked those same questions.

I also highly recommend anyone who's applying to take a visit. There is a very unique feel to the program. The layout is very similar to a tech company such as Google / Facebook with a blend of colorful chairs, whiteboards, etc. Nonetheless, it still feels professional as well as there were people in suits and dress shirts coming in and out (probably professors, guest speakers, or networking events).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Got an acceptance on the decision date last Thursday! Interview processes went smooth and very comfortably, visiting campus in August allowed me to do a remote Skype interview for round 2 since I'm in SF. Excited to see where I can go from here!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
dLo wrote:
Got an acceptance on the decision date last Thursday! Interview processes went smooth and very comfortably, visiting campus in August allowed me to do a remote Skype interview for round 2 since I'm in SF. Excited to see where I can go from here!

Congratulations!

I have not been able to get much response from the admission office to my email and the website is very superficial...I feel a bit like going blind with the process.
Any advice?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
joaquinsaul wrote:
dLo wrote:

Congratulations!

I have not been able to get much response from the admission office to my email and the website is very superficial...I feel a bit like going blind with the process.
Any advice?

In regard to applying, or mid-process (i.e. you applied Rd 1)?
For Rd 1, I believe 11/13 was their hard decision date, so you would know by then.

Otherwise, in regards to the program itself, it's a very different style (both Cornell Tech's mission and the MBA program) and approach on education. The space is an open start-up style layout with discussions and courses that mix all the MS/MEng students. They start you in March with online courses for basics, and then you go to Ithaca I believe at the end of May to start your core classes. Throughout the time in NYC after, you're constantly doing workshops and a startup project. From what I've gathered, while you will get a good MBA classic foundation, the approach in the meat of the Tech portion of the program is unique. I spoke to the dean at an event here in the Bay a month or two ago and the first thing he said was "we've got tons of PMs and entrepreneurs coming out."

I had a very specific goal in mind and the right career trajectory to drive my application (engineer in healthcare, wanting to do PM in health tech), so my case is pretty specific and I think they liked that.

Visiting the campus back in August and talking to Jenna during that time gave me a very good idea of the program; if you're considering it, I suggest you do that if you can, they're very open to meeting prospective students if you e-mail them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dLo wrote:
joaquinsaul wrote:
dLo wrote:

Congratulations!

Any advice?

In regard to applying, or mid-process (i.e. you applied Rd 1)?
For Rd 1, I believe 11/13 was their hard decision date, so you would know by then.

Otherwise, in regards to the program itself, it's a very different style (both Cornell Tech's mission and the MBA program) and approach on education. The space is an open start-up style layout with discussions and courses that mix all the MS/MEng students. They start you in March with online courses for basics, and then you go to Ithaca I believe at the end of May to start your core classes. Throughout the time in NYC after, you're constantly doing workshops and a startup project. From what I've gathered, while you will get a good MBA classic foundation, the approach in the meat of the Tech portion of the program is unique. I spoke to the dean at an event here in the Bay a month or two ago and the first thing he said was "we've got tons of PMs and entrepreneurs coming out."

I had a very specific goal in mind and the right career trajectory to drive my application (engineer in healthcare, wanting to do PM in health tech), so my case is pretty specific and I think they liked that.

Visiting the campus back in August and talking to Jenna during that time gave me a very good idea of the program; if you're considering it, I suggest you do that if you can, they're very open to meeting prospective students if you e-mail them.

Yes, I'm trying to schedule a visit, but it's not easy since I'm from Chile.
Anyway, I will write to Jenna again and see how it goes, I know the program is very unique, the more I learn about it, more certain I am that it is my first choice.

(thanks for all your inputs and congratulations again!)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
I applied in R1 and got accepted too!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got in as well in R1 last week.

I was thinking about starting a private Facebook group for anyone accepted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.31
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
drboom wrote:
I got in as well in R1 last week.

I was thinking about starting a private Facebook group for anyone accepted.

I got accepted too!!!

Also are you playing hearthstone, drboom? :P
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cubemaster

Congrats!

Also, yea it's from Hearthstone
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To all you who got accepted, would you please share a brief description of what did you sent as "creativity essay". I am doing a mini-website showcasing my work and extracurriculars and personal characteristics, ... I don't even know if I'm in the ballpark with this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.31
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
joaquinsaul wrote:
To all you who got accepted, would you please share a brief description of what did you sent as "creativity essay". I am doing a mini-website showcasing my work and extracurriculars and personal characteristics, ... I don't even know if I'm in the ballpark with this.

I wrote about an algorithm I created to do a very basic search auto complete. I think they wanna see how tech savvy you are. CMIIW
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cubemaster wrote:
joaquinsaul wrote:

I wrote about an algorithm I created to do a very basic search auto complete. I think they wanna see how tech savvy you are. CMIIW

thanks! this is very helpful
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts