Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 14:00
I am very excited abt visiting darden now. I hope they invite me for an interview!

Traffic never sleeps...

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 14:06
Yes, I completely agree. I attended a Darden event here in Atlanta. They rented out a banquet room at the Four Seasons, had an open bar all night, and had about 30 alumni on hand with whom the prospectives could speak. Director of Admissions Sarah Neher was in attendance as well. In terms of student turnout and extravagance, this was by FAR the most impressive event I have been to. A couple of days earlier I had attended an event for a top 5 school (I won't name name's), and it was completely unprofessional. The alumni were boring and unenthusiastic, the cell phone of the admissions committee member who was presenting went off in the middle, and she slowly sauntered over, took it out of her purse, examined who was calling, and then shut if off while about 30 people waited! I couldn't believe that she wasn't more concerned with the image she conveyed to the prospectives! That experience made me appreciate the other admissions events like Darden's that much more. To be honest, I don't think it's wise to put too much stock into one thing like a presentation that in reality has little bearing on the education you will be doling out over $100k for, but it does leave some impression as you consider your options. It also gives you an idea of the steps each school takes to try to shore up its reputation amongst the top programs, and how much effort each puts into attracting the top talent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 14:19
As far as I am concerned, it all starts with the Dean. He is the one who sets an example for everyone else to follow.

Traffic never sleeps...

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 14:26
solaris1 wrote:
To add, I'm going to recommend everyone still on-the-fence about Darden to go visit!

I just returned from an Open House event that has completely blown my mind. Everything from my class visit experience to my interactions with current students has been absolutely top drawer. Other schools could learn so much from how Darden structures its prospective student events.

In fact, I really regret not completing a R1 application. I'll try to post a more detailed recap of my visit soon, but I'm thoroughly impressed.

Glad you liked the school and campus! Look forward to reading more about the visit and your recap about the student :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 16:32
hi guys,
i was at the open house yesterday as well. some of my thoughts:

facilities + grounds: GORGEOUS......darden grounds are amazing. and they are actually grounds. not just one building for a business school. inside as well, very spread out hallways, traditional southern mansion style architecture..was fantastic..even the parking lot is a damn good looking parking lot.

we started the day with a presentation from Sara Neher..She was great, very informative, down to earth. Some of the questions the prospective applicants asked were pretty ridiclous, but maybe thats just me. really stressed the prospective applicants to see a fit with the culutre etc etc.

i met my student guide after, very nice guy. very down to earth. also stressed that finance recruiting was basically coming to a standstill. also mentioned that to get on to a short list for interviews with the big 3 consulting firms a 700+ gmat is necessary.
we went to a macroecon class after. was very impressed with the way the class was run. i have an econ minor, so I was able to follow along. however, this was a case based class, very different from my undergrad days. everyone was contributing and paying attention. this is a little different from some of the other school classes ive attended.

we had a great lunch afterwards. again food and dining hall were all very impressive.

we then had a presentation from the finance + career development offices. career development was interesting. really said you have to hit the ground running in terms of recruiting. also stressed, even though banking is a bit dead, the internship is key. it is very difficult for second years with out previous internship experience to get into banking (even though this is a bit of a moot point this year)

overall, fantastic school, very down to earth people.

It's not the IMO, it's the OA!!

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 16:47
gmat4life, were you Group One or Group Two?

gmat4life wrote:
hi guys,
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 16:56
Ditto on open house comments. I attended one back in September and was blown away. The students were warm and accessible (especially during first coffee), the teacher was incredibly engaging, and the entire staff made the entire day run like clock work. I went to a small school for undergrad (go NESCAC), and it honestly reminded me of that type of community.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 17:00
And as a "Yankee," I have to say I ended up rather liking the "South." :-D :oops:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 17:27
solaris1 wrote:
And as a "Yankee," I have to say I ended up rather liking the "South." :-D :oops:

Haha Solaris - that's good to know. Perhaps bodes well for the rest of us Northerner's looking at Darden :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 18:24
If only u guys knew wht u guys were missing by not living in the south!

Traffic never sleeps...

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 19:46
solaris1 wrote:
gmat4life, were you Group One or Group Two?

gmat4life wrote:
hi guys,

Hi Solaris,

I was group one. How about you? Your thoughts on the visit?

Pelihu - Can you comment a bit on the consulting placement locations. In speaking with CDO they mentioned even some of the big firms will come in and say they are only recruiting for the Atlanta office. Can you comment on this? Does this also occur for Finance recruiting? I had read earlier that you were interested in finance, can you comment on your plan for finance recruiting this year? The CDO staff was saying they are advising students to consider alternate fields this year.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 22:43
Great post pelihu! I truly enjoy reading your posts and opinion.

Traffic never sleeps...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 06:33
status went from complete to "Pending"....guess there is some action going on and hopefully interview invites soon!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 07:00
[quote="pelihu"][quote="gmat4life"]

Well, I had an investment banking internship with one of the top bulge bracket banks in Los Angeles this past summer.

Pelihu,

I appreciate the informative post. Kudos.

What advice is being given to the first years who are targetting finance. If internship offers are dismal, will these students have a decent shot as second years? On a side note, Your thoughts on the economy and how long this downside in recruiting will last?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 14:47
Has anyone compared last year's thread to see when the invites started rolling?

Traffic never sleeps...

Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 15:00
pelihu wrote:
I can also tell you for sure that second year students have received offers from McKinsey in Taipei, Bain in several China locations and a good friend of mine just got an offer from Bain Capital in Singapore.

Hi Pelihu,

Can you quickly comment on those offers in the Greater China region?
Do they have some ties with the city where they get the offers as well?
Also, are they treated as local hire or given salary as if hired in US?

thanks.

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 20:28
Thanks for the explanation, +1! :)

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 07:47
I am a round two applicant to Darden. Are/Were these essay questions as difficult for everybody else as they are for me? Widdling down my entire MBA story into a TOTAL of 1000 words? This is going to take some serious introspection. Every time I read my essays I think "NO NO NO, this isn't getting the message across at all!" But it is practically impossible to get all of the relevant facts across in 250 words. I believe that the best writers can get their points across concisely, but this is bordering on absurdity!

Okay, I'm done. :roll:
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 09:16
atlmba2009 wrote:
I am a round two applicant to Darden. Are/Were these essay questions as difficult for everybody else as they are for me?

I completely agree with you. This was my hardest Rd 1 app (I also applied to Cornell, Michigan, and Duke).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 12:37
ryguy904 wrote:
atlmba2009 wrote:
I am a round two applicant to Darden. Are/Were these essay questions as difficult for everybody else as they are for me?

I completely agree with you. This was my hardest Rd 1 app (I also applied to Cornell, Michigan, and Duke).

This may be my inner nerd coming out, but I enjoyed the challenge. Paring it down made me think about what was really important. I wrote these essays first, and it was hard not to feel like I was rambling on the subsequent two-pagers.

In other news, I got my first admit this week. Feels great, can't wait for everyone else's to start rolling in!
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2008, 12:37