Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
I m not certain, but to me, they are asking you for the highest and the lowest possible GPA. Thats what I did.

atlmba2009 wrote:
Does anyone know for certain what they are looking for with the GPA range in the educational section? Do they want the school's grade range, or your lowest and highest GPA? If it is your range, do they want it broken down by semesters or by years? It's a little vague...

Traffic never sleeps...

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 15:06
This post received
KUDOS
I interpret it to mean 0.0 (F) to 4.0 (A).

atlmba2009 wrote:
Does anyone know for certain what they are looking for with the GPA range in the educational section? Do they want the school's grade range, or your lowest and highest GPA? If it is your range, do they want it broken down by semesters or by years? It's a little vague...
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
traffix wrote:
pelihu or anyone else who might know,

Pelihu, u mentioned in your earlier post that Darden DOES take the interview seriously (compared to its peer schools). What role do u think it plays in the admission decision?

Thanks,

Well, it's very clear that the adcoms at Darden try to admit people that understand the culture at Darden, are eager to be part of the community and will be a good fit for the school. Of course, every school says similar things, I think you'll find that Darden takes these things particularly seriously. As a result, it's no surprise that Darden as one of the strongest campus communities, and extremely strong ties with alumni across the years. Darden has the second highest rate of giving among all business schools (trailing on Tuck), and has an endowment that is, I believe, the largest among all the elite schools (the ultra-elite schools tend to have many more students and much larger endowments), which is amazing given Darden's relatively small size. There's no doubt that your interview will have an impact on your candidacy, where it doesn't always seem to be the case with other schools.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 00:14
This post received
KUDOS
Latest BW Darden Q&A Article

Admissions Director Sara Neher talks about what Darden B-school offers for a hard-working applicant and what it takes to get in

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mb ... =rss_daily

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 29

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
Only one interview invite for round 2 so far? I guess they will resume their invitations after all Round 1 GMATClubbers get their acceptance emails/calls 8-)

"George is getting upset!"

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
I got in!!!! Two for two!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
ces1218 wrote:
Honestly - are comments like these totally necessary? You both just look like disgusting losers.

Welcome to business school? :roll:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 18:51
This post received
KUDOS
Innnnn !!!

I never saw Darden taking me .. but it seems like Darden likes younger applicants too :-D

Now I have to make a much tougher choice .. which school should I attend
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
Alright so I thought about this over lunch, and I'm going to call Admissions tomorrow and withdraw my application. I think I made up my mind about where to go to school a long time ago, and NYU was always up there at the top even when I was looking at Columbia. At the start of the application season, I set myself a personal goal of making it through to the interview stage at every single school I applied to, and I'm satisfied I was able to accomplish that. As much as I like Darden, I don't think any amount of money is going to make me leave New York. Mainly for personal reasons, but that's a story for another thread. :)

I have to add here that my Darden visit was by far the most impressive of any I did over the course of the past one year. Other schools might attract applicants who are "more accomplished" when it comes to just numbers and whatever, but the class engagement (in a core accounting class, if you can believe it) I witnessed at Darden was simply unparalleled. And I know it wasn't all because of the case method either, because I sat in on case-driven classes at other schools, too and they had nowehere near the effect on me that the Darden class did. It's absolutely true that Darden attracts (and possibly deliberately favours) a certain type of individual, and I am quite sincerely disappointed I will not get to spend 2 years with such individuals. :?

But in the end everyone has to make difficult choices and go with where one's personal priorities lie.

Now I am faced with the unenviable task of breaking this news to a Darden alumnus at the New York office of an employer I will almost certainly target for both internship and full-time recruiting. This person spent a lot of time talking to me about his experiences at the school, and (I think) also reached out personally to school administration to put in a good word.

Any worthwhile ideas on what I can and should tell him so as to not piss him off? :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden Class of 2011, Tuck, Duke, McCombs, HBS

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
I just did my darden interview, here are some comments:

- i felt that the day was really well organized. the admissions office has a nice welcome area and there was almost always a 1st or 2nd year student to talk to in case you were waiting around.

- the class visit was really interesting and the students seemed to talk more than at tuck and fuqua (where i also visited and also really liked but in different ways). at the beginning of the class i introduced myself and had to tell an embarrassing story.

- the interview was really laid back. as most people have said before, it really was "tell me your story". my interviewer was a 2nd year student and she asked some questions along the way, but it was mostly me talking the whole time and telling about my life and experiences. of the course the why MBA and why darden questions were there. and at the end i got to ask her some questions. i was surprised that she didn't even take notes during the interview. some people get adcom interviewers and some 2nd year. i heard it is random and makes no difference (hopefully that's true!)

- after the interview, we had a nice lunch with a member of the faculty. the prof we met with was really friendly and nice. i was surprised to find that you call all the profs by their first names (which is pretty cool).

- after lunch, we got a tour and then my day was done!

all in all, it was a great day and definitely reaffirmed how much i want to get into darden.

good luck to all (but not if you take my spot :) ).
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 15:46
This post received
KUDOS
what Matt said.

Had my interview today. Extremely informal though a bit of a monologue by me I thought. Maybe I should have allowed more conversational pauses or something. But I guess they really allow you to speak so giving your life story in 20 odd mins is pretty hard. I think I was closer to 30-35 mins just straight of the bat. Followed by the standard why darden, why now questions.. all in all I was closer to 1 hr than 30 mins. the only other question he asked me was what is your leadership style - with a 1 min answer. guess i am long winded.. oh well.

On the whole a pretty good day. I am glad I made the trip - the place is really nice and attending a class was interesting - the students def talked more than the students at Tuck, Kellogg and Booth (yes i know not saying much).

Now I guess I keep my fingers crossed and hope I get in.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 16:15
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview today with a member of the Darden admissions. Like everyone said the interview was very relaxed and friendly. The questions are the same: life story, why MBA, why Darden? Thanks to everyone’s previous experiences, I was prepared for the question. Maybe it’s because I interviewed with a member of the admissions team, but I felt a bit rush toward the end. I rushed through the end of my life story and did a quick take on why MBA and why Darden. In the beginning of the interview, she said that the interview should last 45 minutes, and my interview took 48 minutes total. Overall, I felt good about the interview. I want to wish everyone good luck on gaining admissions to Darden.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
For those that missed the Darden chat on accepted.com last week:

http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... arden.aspx

The True Value of YOUR MBA: 103-t64239
GMATClub's Unofficial Chartered Financial Analyst thread: 103-t63245
How Much Weight Does the CFA Carry with Admissions: 103-t68059

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 07:56
I'm in for Round 1!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 17:02
Only 3 applicants so far? Wow is Darden the ugly stepchild of the Elite or what! :stupid
Current Student

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 17:56
solaris1 wrote:
Only 3 applicants so far? Wow is Darden the ugly stepchild of the Elite or what! :stupid

It has arguably the best looking campus, so I don't know how that's possible!

It's our show solaris, you and me representin'. :) Others, you are welcome to join us.

Edit: Sorry I missed raabenb in there. Three musketeers leading the pack!

Last edited by ryguy904 on 24 Jul 2008, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 19:21
yeah, dudes. Either of you planning to visit C-ville during one of the Open Houses?
Current Student

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 19:48
solaris1 wrote:
yeah, dudes. Either of you planning to visit C-ville during one of the Open Houses?

Not in the plans. I'll be out there if they invite me for an interview, though. :)
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 20:01
Im planning on driving down...whether with an organized school visit or solo campus stalking, havent decided :wink:

P.S. In high school I took some summer classes at UVA through a special program and let me tell you, the campus is amazing and C-ville is charminggggggggg (said in a manly man voice).

"George is getting upset!"

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 20:34
I am very much interested in Darden because of the case study method. I am not a good communicator in spoken english and Darden will complemet my existing skills by forcing me to speak out.

But I heard Darden is (in)famous for loading students with too much work. So, I am afraid, since I have a family , I wonder, whether brutal Darden schedule will leave me with some respite to spend some time with them?
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2008, 20:34