Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jan 2015, 03:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 12:22
not even a single international invite ?

I was invited for a phone interview already and my interview is scheduled for December 10 and I'm international .. !
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 10:27
Hey everyone,
I also had my interview on Friday and ditto on all the previous comments. I had a second year student and we actually took the whole hour, although the last 15-20 minutes were me peppering them with questions. The whole 'tell you story' question is actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. I sort of thought it threw before hand a few times, but I'd suggest taking a couple of 30 minutes blocks and actually going through it. If nothing else, I found myself having to backtrack a few times to put events into context. No real follow up questions, I sort of led myself through everything they could have asked me.

I think this might have been brought up previously, but I'd highly suggest that you schedule your interview for after lunch. The professors were very engaging (and honest) and it would have been a great warm up for the interview. And yes, the place is beautiful. I went down in September, but forgot just how nice the whole area is.

Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 05:21
Not much to add on interviews...mine was with AdCom, tell me about yourself and then the more pointed "Why MBA?" question. I was surprised at how many people were there for the time slot (15-20). Get to the Admissions office early if you can, there will be second year students there chatting. If you have trouble talking about yourself for 30-45 minutes you may need to practice, but a life of dedicated narcissism prepared me well enough 8-)

The more I visit Darden, the more I'm shocked that they are not consistently in the top 10. The facilities are amazing (they have a piano room, for God's sake), the faculty and administration are excellent, and the students are open and welcoming. If you want to stay/work in the Mid-Atlantic, I can't imagine a much better choice.

Interesting side note, apparently there was an article in BW that focused on a Darden's student's experience interning at Goldman Sachs. Evidently it was not too flattering, because there was a front page editorial in the Cold Call Chronicle ripping BW for that particular piece of journalism as well as Darden's most recent ranking.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 07:17
Also, I didn't notice my interviewer taking any notes, which would lead me to believe that A) they are focusing strictly on the general "feel" of the interview, i.e. communication skills, etc, B) they just put a check or X next to interview and then put it back into the context of the total app for final evaluation, or C) they were just humoring me and perhaps have vested interests in a number of gas stations along 29. Pure speculation.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 08:49
Haven't heard anything more about invites? have they stopped coming out?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 18:48
No invites here either. I begin to think that I got dinged without interview :|
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 21:36
I'm heading off to Charlottesville tomorrow for my interview on Friday. Looking forward to seeing the "country club." Any other Gmatclubbers going to be interviewing on Friday and want to meet up? If so, pm me and I'll shoot you back my cell number.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 21:45
Leverandon wrote:
I'm heading off to Charlottesville tomorrow for my interview on Friday.

Good luck! Darden will wine you and dine you. Soak it up and have fun. :-D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 05:27
ozzie123, I'm beginning to think the same thing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 05:45
Surprisingly, Darden seems to be quiet on new invitations (to int'l folks) front ! The last, on BW went out on 8th December. Wonder what are they up to ..
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 06:08
Did anyone think to ask (or already know) when Darden sends out their decisions? Everything on the website seems to indicate they notify by email on 1/31, but from reading last year's thread it looks like people started getting calls a little before that.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 10:56
The adcom I spoke with when I was down there last Friday said that all admit decision are made by phone starting around the 28th and NLT the 30th. All dingers go out via email on the 30th.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 13:48
Anyone interviewing this Monday at darden? lets meet up.

Traffic never sleeps...

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, Darden, Booth
Followers: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 00:29
ozzie123 wrote:
No invites here either. I begin to think that I got dinged without interview :|

Admissions Video Blog on December 5th said only 50% of invites have gone out for domestic applicants. And since there has been little, if any, invite reports since then, I am expecting another flood of invites soon.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, I'm on the Amtrak back from my Darden interview. I had a great time and I thought that I would post some of my observations.

They really had a whole day of events planned for us and everyone there (students, admissions officers, and faculty) where extremely welcoming. More than an interview it was really a way to be introduced to the Darden experience.

I thought that the interview was fantastic. It was actually something like a case with the case being myself. Their only question was: describe your life. Occasionally she asked follow up questions to clarify things or pose questions about my experiences. I interviewed with the Assistant Director of Admissions, who was wonderful. Some students interviewed with her and others interviewed with 2Y students. I certainly feel like it was my best interview of the ones that I have had so far.

Lunch with the faculty was interesting. At my table was a finance professor with a really sarcastic sense of humor, an accounting professor and an ethics prof, both of whom were really friendly. I was impressed by how ethics is a mandatory course. They spent a lot of time discussing the case method. The food was also really good and very Southern.

The afternoon ended with a tour of the grounds. I love the Jeffersonian Classical architecture. The whole school feels like a Southern mansion.

Of the applicants I met I was surprised by their strong regional prederence. Many students R1 list was Darden, Duke, Georgetown and UNC. No Stern or Ross applicants to be found. Most applicants seemed to be from the DC/northern VA area. I imagine that the
Admitted student body, however, is more diverse.

Overall, I got a great impression of the school and could see myself being very happy there.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 11:03
Thanks, Leverandon. Useful post there. I'm glad you had a good interview. I came back thoroughly impressed from my Darden visit too. If I'm invited to interview after R2, I would certainly look forward to returning.

Leverandon wrote:
Of the applicants I met I was surprised by their strong regional prederence. Many students R1 list was Darden, Duke, Georgetown and UNC. No Stern or Ross applicants to be found. Most applicants seemed to be from the DC/northern VA area. I imagine that the Admitted student body, however, is more diverse.

I noticed this myself during my visit. Most of the prospective applicants were from the "South" - DC, MD, VA, TX, GA. One of them even said Charlottesville was about as far "North" as she was willing to go to school or work, so it does certainly seem there's a strong regional bias in the applicant pool there.

You are probably right however in that the admitted student body is a bit more diverse. By the time my visit ended, I had talked to students who graduated from Northwestern, Michigan, Penn State, Colgate, Minnesota, even one of the UC schools, so they're from all over.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 11:07
Thanks Solaris!

Btw, are you named after the Russian scifi film? I can't believe I didn't notice that before now.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 11:10
sounds great Leverandon

Traffic never sleeps...

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 11:12
OMG! At least partly inspired by the film, Leverandon. Can't believe you made the connection...

Leverandon wrote:
Thanks Solaris!

Btw, are you named after the Russian scifi film? I can't believe I didn't notice that before now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 11:13
solaris1 wrote:

One of them even said Charlottesville was about as far "North" as she was willing to go to school or work, so it does certainly seem there's a strong regional bias in the applicant pool there.

Charlottesville is NORTH to me as well. Although I m willing to go futher north. Of course, whn I am in Virginia on Monday, I ll happily call Charlottesville a part of the south to not offend the (gun carrying) local polulation.

(PS: Darden is one of my top choices, if not the top choice)

Traffic never sleeps...

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2008, 11:13

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  35    Next  [ 687 posts ]