Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 15:22
Leverandon wrote:
Hey guys, I'm on the Amtrak back from my Darden interview. I had a great time and I thought that I would post some of my observations.

They really had a whole day of events planned for us and everyone there (students, admissions officers, and faculty) where extremely welcoming. More than an interview it was really a way to be introduced to the Darden experience.

I thought that the interview was fantastic. It was actually something like a case with the case being myself. Their only question was: describe your life. Occasionally she asked follow up questions to clarify things or pose questions about my experiences. I interviewed with the Assistant Director of Admissions, who was wonderful. Some students interviewed with her and others interviewed with 2Y students. I certainly feel like it was my best interview of the ones that I have had so far.

Lunch with the faculty was interesting. At my table was a finance professor with a really sarcastic sense of humor, an accounting professor and an ethics prof, both of whom were really friendly. I was impressed by how ethics is a mandatory course. They spent a lot of time discussing the case method. The food was also really good and very Southern.

The afternoon ended with a tour of the grounds. I love the Jeffersonian Classical architecture. The whole school feels like a Southern mansion.

Of the applicants I met I was surprised by their strong regional prederence. Many students R1 list was Darden, Duke, Georgetown and UNC. No Stern or Ross applicants to be found. Most applicants seemed to be from the DC/northern VA area. I imagine that the
Admitted student body, however, is more diverse.

Overall, I got a great impression of the school and could see myself being very happy there.

Did the interviewer ask you abt teamwork and ethical situation questions?

Traffic never sleeps...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 15:25
solaris1 wrote:
I noticed this myself during my visit. Most of the prospective applicants were from the "South" - DC, MD, VA, TX, GA. One of them even said Charlottesville was about as far "North" as she was willing to go to school or work, so it does certainly seem there's a strong regional bias in the applicant pool there.

(muffled laugh)

Maryland... the "South?" D.C., the capital of the Union? Please.

Me, I'm from a town not far away from Charlottesville, and Darden is probably my top choice right now. C-ville is about as far North as I care to go too... I sorta recoil in horror at the idea of living anywhere between Northern VA and southern CT. Boston might be nice. Vermont would be awesome. Virginia would be perfect.

Also, just in case the Southern label concerns any of you yankees, rest assured that C-ville is "Southern lite." They don't even serve sweet tea in most of the restaurants. Politically, it's the most liberal area you're liable to find outside of DC itself, and no one owns a gun. None of this applies to the counties surrounding it, though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 17:24
nadtrans wrote:
Leverandon wrote:
Hey guys, I'm on the Amtrak back from my Darden interview. I had a great time and I thought that I would post some of my observations.

They really had a whole day of events planned for us and everyone there (students, admissions officers, and faculty) where extremely welcoming. More than an interview it was really a way to be introduced to the Darden experience.

I thought that the interview was fantastic. It was actually something like a case with the case being myself. Their only question was: describe your life. Occasionally she asked follow up questions to clarify things or pose questions about my experiences. I interviewed with the Assistant Director of Admissions, who was wonderful. Some students interviewed with her and others interviewed with 2Y students. I certainly feel like it was my best interview of the ones that I have had so far.

Lunch with the faculty was interesting. At my table was a finance professor with a really sarcastic sense of humor, an accounting professor and an ethics prof, both of whom were really friendly. I was impressed by how ethics is a mandatory course. They spent a lot of time discussing the case method. The food was also really good and very Southern.

The afternoon ended with a tour of the grounds. I love the Jeffersonian Classical architecture. The whole school feels like a Southern mansion.

Of the applicants I met I was surprised by their strong regional prederence. Many students R1 list was Darden, Duke, Georgetown and UNC. No Stern or Ross applicants to be found. Most applicants seemed to be from the DC/northern VA area. I imagine that the
Admitted student body, however, is more diverse.

Overall, I got a great impression of the school and could see myself being very happy there.

Did the interviewer ask you abt teamwork and ethical situation questions?

Nope. They only asked one generic question: "Tell me about your life." Every other question was specific to my own experiences in the form of a conversation.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 18:55
[quote] Maryland... the "South?" D.C., the capital of the Union? Please.
quote]

I love that we still debate what's the "South" and what isn't. And of course I can't resist adding my two cents :lol:

So DC and the surrounding 'burbs are "Mid Atlantic." While they technically are below the Mason-Dixon line, they're still considered 'northern'. The rest of VA (including C-ville) is definitely considered "South."

Just my view :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 20:36
why the step motherly treatment to DC and other areas of Virginia? They deserve to be the south as well!

[quote="ac8706
I love that we still debate what's the "South" and what isn't. And of course I can't resist adding my two cents :lol:

So DC and the surrounding 'burbs are "Mid Atlantic." While they technically are below the Mason-Dixon line, they're still considered 'northern'. The rest of VA (including C-ville) is definitely considered "South."

Just my view :P[/quote]

Traffic never sleeps...

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 21:00
nadtrans wrote:
why the step motherly treatment to DC and other areas of Virginia? They deserve to be the south as well!

[quote="ac8706

Just my view :P
[/quote]

And here I thought I was being generous to DC et al by including them in the wonderfulness that is the North :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
Havent we established already that the "south" is the region with REAL amercan values?

[quote="ac8706]

And here I thought I was being generous to DC et al by including them in the wonderfulness that is the North :)[/quote]

Traffic never sleeps...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2008, 22:01
last call! anyone interviewing tomorrow (Monday) at Darden?

Traffic never sleeps...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 13:01
Hmm...I haven't seen anyone get a Darden interview invite in almost two weeks. What gives?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 00:12
Does anyone know when are they (adcom) shutting shop for Christmas?? Should stop fretting after that day...... :|

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hey,

I interviewed yesterday with a second year student at Darden. Similar to Leverandon, I was only asked a single question - talk about yourself discussing career progression, career goals and why darden. We had a long converstion lasting close to an hour. He was very friendly and answered frankly all questions that I asked him.

The entire day was wonderful. The day started with a chat with a representative from the CDC. She spoke with us for an hour. Later, a current student took us for a tour of the 'grounds' which is fantastic. For all you hip-hop haters out there, the dining hall had my fav song "live your live - TI featuring Rihanna, playing in the background.

Later, we had lunch with the faculty who were really engaging and had a great sense of humor. We spoke candidly about the general state of the markets and y now was a great time to go in for an MBA (altough the faculty member at my table said that he wasnt sure about the "great time").

All in all, darden remains one of my top choices for an MBA. I spoke at length with Sarah Naher and several other current students. The only problem that I saw with darden was the fact that there was little interaction between the 1st year and 2nd year students.

btw, recruitment this year at Darden is 10% below what it was last year at this time.

Traffic never sleeps...

Last edited by traffix on 16 Dec 2008, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 09:05
nadtrans wrote:
btw, recruitment this year at Darden is 10% below what it was last year at this time.

Only 10% drop is not bad considering current market condition.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 10:02
Just back from Darden's New Delhi event. Met 2 guys who had got the invite..... heard someone say that all interviews have to be wrapped up by 9th Jan....... Also came to know that they have sent some 5-7 invites here, in New Delhi itself...... while the alum admissions person claimed that more are on their way, I am seriously starting to lose hope...... :? ..... Invites are rolling in and there is no news on the web....... strange!!!... :shock: ... Grim future for most (if not all) of us.... :(

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 10:14
devansh_god wrote:
Just back from Darden's New Delhi event. Met 2 guys who had got the invite..... heard someone say that all interviews have to be wrapped up by 9th Jan....... Also came to know that they have sent some 5-7 invites here, in New Delhi itself...... while the alum admissions person claimed that more are on their way, I am seriously starting to lose hope...... :? ..... Invites are rolling in and there is no news on the web....... strange!!!... :shock: ... Grim future for most (if not all) of us.... :(

The 9th is for on campus interviews, which are not required of international applicants. For internationals (and I think US folks as well), invites can go out up until the decision deadline (and from what I've heard this actually happened last year).
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg 2011

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 06:51
Not sure how this is going to impact Darden, but the Washington Post is reporting that Governor Kaine (VA) is proposing a 15% cut in higher ed funding next year. Does anyone have an idea of how dependent Darden is on public funds?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 07:05
UVA as an institution only gets between 7-9% of its total funding from the state anyway. Darden and the law school are actually financially autonomous entities within the University, so I don't think the budget cuts will have any effect on the business school.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 11:55
Yes, Ntang is right. Darden is financially independent from UVA, and in fact, Darden pays the school a fee each year for shared resources and name and association rights, but is otherwise run completely separately. The state budget cuts will have no impact on Darden.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 08:57
Hey all, as a round two applicant, I wanted to try and revive some discussion about UVA app strategies (in a general sense). At last glance it appeared there was only one 2nd round UVA applicant, so I wanted to see who else is rolling the dice in round two at Darden. Any takers?

BTW, if a mod would add me to the 2nd round list, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by atlmba2009 on 19 Dec 2008, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 08:59
I'm in for R2.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 09:06
I'm in for R2 too. Let's wait until you folks submit before starting a roll call.
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2008, 09:06