Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 20:40
filmcity wrote:
I am very much interested in Darden because of the case study method. I am not a good communicator in spoken english and Darden will complemet my existing skills by forcing me to speak out.

But I heard Darden is (in)famous for loading students with too much work. So, I am afraid, since I have a family , I wonder, whether brutal Darden schedule will leave me with some respite to spend some time with them?

I haven't had a chance to get in contact with any students yet, but I would suggest that you do so, in particular 1Y students and those taking courses in the area(s) that you are interested in. Also reach out to somebody in the DPA to find out how they are getting by:

http://web2.darden.virginia.edu/student ... d=48&id=78

And by the way, the case method will definitely enhance your public speaking skills and analytical abilities regardless of whether you are a native English speaker or not. Given the career track that I want to take, standing up for my opinions and backing them with cold hard facts in a concise manner will be important. Darden will definitely lay the foundation to help me with that. That's one main reason that I am applying. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 23:06
Hi Ppl,
Count in for applying to Darden in early round (that s what Round 1 is called)
i have a number of friends who are currently studying in Darden and they all keep telling me the same thing and i quote
"You ve got to come here and attend a case study based class and u ll be sold on Darden"

i m going to fight the GMAT beast on the 28th...so let us see how the first step goes

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:36
UVA undergrad here, planning on applying, hopefully R1, maybe R2 depending on how the applications go.

You guys will love Charlottesville.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 18:37
Great information pelihu, +1 kudos. Three questions for you:

1) Is your kudos/total posts ratio the highest on the forum? I think it's around 10%, outstanding. :-D
2) Did you have previous IB experience before landing the LA banking gig? I'd like to go West coast post-MBA and was curious how good Darden's placement is on the west coast (both internship and full time).
3) Duke is known to generally place MC people in the local region. For example, McK hires out of Fuqua for their Atlanta office. Is MC placement out of Darden generally nationwide?

thanks
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 19:03
Thanks for the compliment. Don't know about the kudos ratio, but I will add one tidbit to chew on; kudos started sometime within the last year (don't remember exactly when) but they were not part of the site for my first 1000-1500 posts. Now to the other questions.

I didn't have banking experience before attending Darden. Immediately before business school I was an entrepreneur. I started my own business and ran it for about 4 1/2 years. Before that, I got a law degree from Michigan and practiced for two years. I worked in real estate and finance for about a year in LA, and in CMBS for a little less than a year in NY. In NY, I worked closely with bankers, but never worked for a bank. In fact, I was just thinking about it earlier today, but this is the first time in my life that I've received a paycheck from a public company. As I mentioned in another post, prior IB experience is nice, but not critical to landing a banking job. You just need to be sure to demonstrate the qualities that they are looking for.

I didn't do MC recruiting, so I didn't really look into the statistics that closely. I do know that McKinsey hired 7 people from Darden this year, which I think was an all-time high. Just among the people that I knew well from my section, I know that one guy landed with McKinsey in Taipei (his top choice), and another with Bain in Stockholm (his top choice). Bain has traditionally had strong ties with Darden, but it seems like McKinsey has a new focus on the school. I'll also mention that Goldman added Darden as a core school last year (hired 5 people) and Google came to campus for the first time (hired 3 people). Lehman was an extremely popular choice last fall and hired 9 people into all divisions including 5 into investment banking - increased numbers even as they reduced hiring elsewhere.

I believe that the MC people by and large all landed in different offices around the country and worldwide - definitely not a focus on just Atlanta or Charlotte or anything like that. I'm more familiar with the banking folks, and while most went to NY of course, people landed in LA, SF, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, Newport Beach, Toronto, Tokyo, London, Hong Kong and more. Considering the small class size, I think that national and international opportunities are plentiful and accessible.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 06:14
Double Kudos Pelihu! Many many thanks for capturing the Darden life in such wonderful manner.

I am almost certain I would apply to Darden , now ( Sometime I am thinking, I should have applied there last year only). I know, you researched the banking jobs, but any idea how the other consulting firms than McK recruited there? I have seen the employment report, but how is the current scene of international students? Are they facing increased difficulty than last year ( I heard things are bad in US, eg, my current firm, which actively recruited internationals till last year has decided not to recruit int'ls from campus if the candidate is not too compelling)!
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2008, 20:41
Anybody (pelihu?) have any insights into what the social scene is like at Darden?

I know Charlottesville has a lot to do for a city of its size, but I have this nagging suspicion of everything below the Mason-Dixon line (just kidding!) and wonder how someone who's lived in big cities all his life would make the adjustment there. :)
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 17:34
If I can get a nice IB gig in LA like Pelihu did, Darden will def move a bit higher on my list ;)

I'll drive down and visit in the late fall (it's only a couple hrs away) to get a feel for the case study method before committing.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 02:50
Of course...I wouldn't have taken it any other way :wink:

pelihu wrote:
On the plus side, the co-ed population seems to be quite above average...I'm talking about academics of course :)

Quote:
Personally, I made the decision that hanging out with my friends from past lives wasn't the best use of my business school time and experience. If you want to be in a place where your friends will come visit you in school, NY, SF or LA are better choices. If you want to immerse yourself in the business school experience, you'll love Charlottesville.

Thanks, very poignant. Superb post as usual.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 06:24
informative post +3
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

essays [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 07:22
Hey guys,

Here are the essays:
1)What pivotal choices have you made in your life that have influenced your decision to pursue an MBA? (500 words)
2)From the following categories, describe the one that has taught you the most: a creative challenge, an ethical dilemma or an experience of failure. Why? (250 words)
3)Describe how you are a fit with the case study method. (250 words)

Enjoyyyy!!!! Best of Luck........ :wink:

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

VP
VP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 07:31
unique interesting essays. I like these a lot.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 08:00
Wow! A total of only 1000 words for the entire application?

Is that officially the shortest MBA essay collection or what?

RF

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 08:04
Very very interesting. I am looking forward to attacking these. The word count will make it really hard.....yet fun.

"George is getting upset!"

Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: essays [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 09:15
devansh_god wrote:
Hey guys,

Here are the essays:
1)What pivotal choices have you made in your life that have influenced your decision to pursue an MBA? (500 words)
2)From the following categories, describe the one that has taught you the most: a creative challenge, an ethical dilemma or an experience of failure. Why? (250 words)
3)Describe how you are a fit with the case study method. (250 words)

Enjoyyyy!!!! Best of Luck........ :wink:

I think #2 is especially not easy... a creative challenge by itself?
And, only 1000 words? wow....

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 06:18
I don't see how anyone can put together a compelling response to #3 without visiting a case class at Darden! They should have continued with their tradition of requiring appliance initiated interviews.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 07:45
solaris1 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can put together a compelling response to #3 without visiting a case class at Darden! They should have continued with their tradition of requiring appliance initiated interviews.

I would disagree. I think one can talk about a skill set that meshes well with the case study format. Skills like assertiveness, clear communication skills, "thinking on the fly", etc.

Back those skills up with real-world examples from your past and you're golden!

RF

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 07:58
Okay, and how do you know these are skills emphasized in the case study format at Darden? You sat in on a class at Duke?
I mean you could say Darden student pelihu told us so on an internet message board, but that sounds a little weak. :lol:

This is a trick question! You have to talk about either a class visit or interactions with Darden alumni.

refurb wrote:
I would disagree. I think one can talk about a skill set that meshes well with the case study format. Skills like assertiveness, clear communication skills, "thinking on the fly", etc.
RF
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 09:31
solaris1 wrote:
Okay, and how do you know these are skills emphasized in the case study format at Darden? You sat in on a class at Duke?
I mean you could say Darden student pelihu told us so on an internet message board, but that sounds a little weak. :lol:

This is a trick question! You have to talk about either a class visit or interactions with Darden alumni.

refurb wrote:
RF

I disagree. How does it show fit sitting in a class where you are not even permitted to speak? Fit entails talking about how you can handle a case study discussion and show relevent experiences in your past that prove this point. The case method at darden is the same as it is in harvard or any other school. As long as you have a good understanding of how this method works I think that is sufficient. You probably need to cite knowledge of the method.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 11:12
That's the crux of our disagreement. How do you cite knowledge of the method and tie it specifically to Darden without having visited a case class there?

terp26 wrote:
You probably need to cite knowledge of the method.
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2008, 11:12