Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:46
refurb wrote:
I would disagree. I think one can talk about a skill set that meshes well with the case study format. Skills like assertiveness, clear communication skills, "thinking on the fly", etc.
RF
solaris1 wrote:
Okay, and how do you know these are skills emphasized in the case study format at Darden? You sat in on a class at Duke?
I mean you could say Darden student pelihu told us so on an internet message board, but that sounds a little weak. :lol:

This is a trick question! You have to talk about either a class visit or interactions with Darden alumni.

How much does the case study method differ between schools? I think you'd be OK talking about the case study method in generalities. No matter what school you go to, if they rely on case study you're going to have to have certain attributes to be successful, namely the ones I mentioned above.

Plus, you only have 250 words! It might be tough talking about your visit and fitting in enough to make for a good essay!

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 12:13
Switching focus for a second...How do you believe question 1 should be tackled? I don't see how one can talk about more than 1 pivotal moment in 500 words, if that moment really is a pivotal life changing decision? It says "decisions" but MUST be talk about more than one.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 15:46
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Switching focus for a second...How do you believe question 1 should be tackled? I don't see how one can talk about more than 1 pivotal moment in 500 words, if that moment really is a pivotal life changing decision? It says "decisions" but MUST be talk about more than one.

I think you'll have to approach like any other goals essay, they don't give you any other place to do it. Instead of directly stating short and long term career goals, why MBA, why now, you'll have to phrase them as "pivotal life choices". You can leave the "why Darden" to the last essay.

RF

Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 07:34
Anyone planning on visit anytime soon?
I wanted to go visit but have no time :(
Maybe next month for me....

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 07:52
November for me, after I finish NYU.

fatb wrote:
Anyone planning on visit anytime soon?
I wanted to go visit but have no time :(
Maybe next month for me....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 07:15
Hey folks. Newbie to the board here. Applying R1.

Also, I went to UVA undergrad. As far as I'm concerned, Charlottesville is the best place to live, ever. Pretty seriously thinking about settling down there and starting my own business - after Darden, of course. So by all means, if you have a chip on your shoulder about the "South," don't bother applying. Stick to Tuck or NYU or something... makes it easier for me!

I dunno if this matters to anyone, but Darden is located right next to the Law school, so there's a lot of cross-socialization there. And you're pretty far away from the undergrads. Too bad, because UVA is heavy on hot women.

Wahoo-wa.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 08:54
Visited Darden yesterday. Great place! They managed to make their Accounting class fun (didnt know that was possible)

Anyway, a tip from admissions. Essay word limits mean LIMIT. DO NOT GO OVER.

"George is getting upset!"

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 09:14
Just curious, even accounting and some math intensive finance classes are case study based?
I wonder how that can be done

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 09:23
I was in Managerial Accounting class and before you enter, they give the visitors a copy of the case so they can follow along and understand. The case for accounting was short and included the finances and such for the company being discussed....I guess thats how it can fit with accounting.

fatb wrote:
Just curious, even accounting and some math intensive finance classes are case study based?
I wonder how that can be done

"George is getting upset!"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2008, 04:35
I'm planning for R2.

Last edited by fall09 on 15 Oct 2008, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 17:04
So, I started my online application with Darden today. Hidden amongst some innocuous questions about education background is this beauty:

Please complete the following statement using 100 words or less.
I am a person who __________________________, with expertise in ____________________________. *

WTF? The asterisk means it's required. So vague. I guess it's some sort of written rorschach test. Any ideas?

p.s. What's with all the questions...family background, who else I'm interested in, etc. It's like a bad first date.
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 17:52
McDargoiowkel wrote:
So, I started my online application with Darden today. Hidden amongst some innocuous questions about education background is this beauty:

I am a person who __________________________, with expertise in ____________________________. *

WTF? The asterisk means it's required. So vague. I guess it's some sort of written rorschach test. Any ideas?

p.s. What's with all the questions...family background, who else I'm interested in, etc. It's like a bad first date.

Yikes! :shock: I've merely signed up for an account and sent notes to my recommenders. Thanks for the heads up on this so that I have time to mull that over. Anything else hiding that we should know about? :stupid
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 18:17
Like I said, just the usual nonsense like "Who is your daddy and what does he do?" Honestly, when I saw that it kind of took the wind out of my sails and I started watching South Park. Live to fight another day...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 19:31
McDargoiowkel wrote:

They didn't have that question when I applied (at least I don't recall, it's been a while) but it's only 100 words, so they are obviously limiting how much stuff they want you to put in this essay. I look at it as an opportunity to identify a few subjects to discuss in an interview; and to be creative and demonstrate some language skills. Pet-lover, expert in basket weaving? I don't look at it as a place to detail your abilities or technical skills.

(note, I have no influence or even regular contact with the admissions people here)
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 02:15
I just noticed that the latest class profile for Darden is up.

http://www.darden.virginia.edu/html/sta ... d=2&id=819

Avg GMAT, as expected, went up 5 points from 688 to 693.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 08:20
Did anyone attend class for writing Case Study Essay?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 10:31
Anyone attending today's "day in Darden" or something like that?
I wanted to go but my schedule does not allow it. :(

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 09:32
anyone else have any comments on this lovely question....

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 10:50
Joining the darden train...I'm almost certain (95%) that I'll be applying for R2. I'll be finalizing my R2 plans this weekend so will keep everyone posted :)
woo!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 07:18
Hi guys,
Yet another aspirant of Darden MBA.
Am an Indian with 5 yrs of experience in IT industry.
Planning to apply in R1.

-Achilles
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2008, 07:18