Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [2] , given: 22

Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 15:11
This post received
KUDOS
Almost the end of July - where are all the Darden folks? No love for pelihu's cheerleading?

C'mon, I'm sure a lot of us want to go through Darden's infamous "boot camp in a country club" experience? 8-) I'm in for R2, perhaps R1 if I'm diligent enough to finish 3 applications in R1.

Dean Bruner and the Admissions Office will hosting several receptions across the country beginning September, hope a lot of you will be in attendance.

THE R1 TEAM
-----------------------------------
Submitted: 18
Interview Invites: 15
Admitted= 10 (55.6%)
Matriculating: 1
Waitlisted: 2
Withdrawn: 1

Dinged: 2
Unknown: 3

saltdawg218 - admitted | matriculating
chitown06 - admitted
F13- admitted
Ntang- admitted
McDargoiowkel - admitted
cs11 - admitted | not matriculating
domtri33 - admitted | not matriculating
Mishari - admitted | | not matriculating
ryguy904 - admitted | not matriculating
thesadmachine - admitted | not matriculating
Leverandon MBA/JD - invite for interview 11/26 | waitlisted
24 - interviewed | waitlisted
nadtrans | invite for interview | Dinged
dghazer | Dinged
terp26| invite for interview 12/4 | withdrawn
URSB710 - unknown
devansh_god - submitted 10/28 - unknown
jdburg26 - unknown

THE R2 TEAM
-----------------------------------
Submitted: 10
Interview Invites: 8 (80%)
Admitted: 1
Matriculating: 0
Waitlisted: 3
Withdrawn: 2

Dinged: 3/color]
Unknown: 1

llest - admitted | not matriculating
fugo - invited for interview 01/23 | waitlisted
LeftOut - invited for interview 02/02 | waitlisted
BklynMatt - invited for interview 02/09 | waitlisted
raabenb - invited for interview 02/09 | withdrew
solaris1 - invite for interview 02/02 | withdrew
fall09 - dinged
liubsh02 - invited for interview 02/13 | dinged
smokedpotatoes - invite for interview 02/02 | dinged
atlmba2009 - submitted 01/06

Last edited by ryguy904 on 12 May 2009, 08:04, edited 30 times in total.
Updated Applicant Statistics
6 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [6] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 16:32
This post received
KUDOS
I thought I'd comment on Darden's reputation for hard work. Like everyone else, I only attend one business school, so any comparisons to other schools are based on 2nd hand information from friends, conferences with other students and other general information. As far as I can tell, students at Darden to not work any harder than those at many other top business schools. When I listen to the experiences of students at other schools, I find them very similar to my own last year at Darden. MBA students definitely work hard, and recruiting demands can be a challenge, especially for the industries popular with MBAs where firms like to visit multiple times throughout the year.

For example, Darden sometimes has clases and activities on some Fridays, but many of these are simulations or group projects, and about 1/2 the time Fridays are reading days (days off). I spoke with a guy from NYU during internship orientation earlier this summer and it seemed like they had classes much mroe frequently on Fridays, but what really stuck me was how demanding their recruiting schedule was. Certainly, having all the job opportunities of NY at your doorstep is a great thing, but along with that comes the expectation that you'll be spending every free moment schmoozing with these firms (I'm talking about banking in this case).

I really don't think that Darden is measuably more demanding that most other programs. I believe that Wharton, MIT, Chicago, Harvard and many others require similar levels of dedication. Still, it seems like people with families have enough time to get everything done. Darden's reputation for hard work seems to be more historical in basis. When alumni came back to campus for recruiting events, we would hear about how they had classes on Saturdays (it's been at least 15 years since they had this), and how they had three cases to prepare every day (no longer the case, we now have 2 or 3 cases four days per week, on average). Generally, I think these requirements are in line with other top schools. One difference is that the case study method means that you will need to be prepared for class each day, so you can't really slack off. The flip side is that the case study method really ensures that you think about a case and learn rather than memorize - as Dean Bruner likes to say it is a sticky form of learning. For people with backgrounds that require critical thinking, this comes naturally (no surpise that law schools use case method, AKA Socratic method); people with backgrounds in more rigid disciplines may need to adjust.

I will say that Darden does maintain a reputation among recruiters for having hard-working students. This is an advantage when competing for jobs, and I think this is reflected in the salary numbers among comparable schools. Darden is always a leader in salaries among elite schools - generally second to only Tuck if I recall correctly. This is especialy impressive when you consider that the Mid-Atlantic is not a particularly high paying region compared with the locales of many of the other elite schools. In fact, Darden beats most fellow elites in both employment rate and salary - which means that Darden students are landing the choiciest jobs, and not settling at the expense of lower salaries. Here are the schools I think Darden competes with most directly:

Darden 87.9% $121,279
Ross 86.1% $120,408
Yale 77.4% $118,964
Cornell 87.1% $118,888
Duke 80.5% $117,473
Haas 82.5% $116,263
UCLA 79.0% $115,318

And if you look at the other school in the region, Darden trounces Duke by a pretty wide margin even though the two schools attract largely the same set of recruiters. I believe this is a reflection of the reputation that Darden has with recruiters. You shouldn't look at it as just a few thousand dollars difference between each of the schools, but rather that the higher salaries and employment rates reflect a larger portion of students landing the jobs that they want without compramise.

So, I hope that the reputation for hard work doesn't keep people from taking a closer look at Darden. I think that the notion that Darden students work harder than others is more of an anachronism than a reality these days; but reputation seems to hold true with employers as well and translates directly into better employment prospects for Darden students compared to those at peer schools. And I'll also point out that Darden's reputation for a tough first year (true or not) comes with a corresponding reputation for a pressure-free second year. I'll definitely be trying to outdo the students from the most recently graduated class in the amount of golf I will play next year (about $400 per semester for an unlimited pass).
4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 426 [4] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
Great to see some activity on this thread. I will try to address some of the questions/issues.

It's not difficult for engineer's to adapt to the case study method. I know many engineers (and yes, even Indian engineers) who do very will in this setting. I think it has more to do with the effort put for by the student to engage in the learning environment and also the personality of the individual. People who are naturally quiet will have to make a point to contribute.

All first year classes provide feedback on contribution mid-quarter. Generally, a professor will break the class down into three or four groups, and each person will be told if they are high, average or needs improvement. Class participation is part of the grading process for pretty much every class (it's inherent to the case study method).

Social events abound at Darden. TNDC does in fact occur every Thursday school is in session, and attendance is very high (I'd say at least 60% of all students week in and week out). It's sponsored by the student association. We all have something called "Cold Calls" (many uses for this term), where the student association will set up a happy-hour type deal on grounds with food and drink every couple of weeks. The big event of the year is the international food festival. This year we had (I'm just tallying up off the top of my head) 30+ groups making regional/country/cultural foods as well as about 10 country specific performance groups. The Indian dancing troupe is memorable every year. Like most other b-schools we have company sponsored tailgates before every home football game; Virginia is not a great football school, but ACC football is a heck of a lot better than what's available at Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Harvard, Dartmouth... We have a year-long inter-section competition called the Darden Cup with sporting events (football, softball, soccer, cricket), trivia, pie eating, community service and more that includes events about every other weekend. We have a bowling league. Golf is a big activity at many business schools, but I think we can safely say that Darden is a leader in golfing quality, pricing and opportunities (at least 5 very nice to excellent courses I can think of off the to of my head within 5 miles). Golf is a especially popular among second year students, and especially in the spring. We have a 100 case party for the first year class - when then get through their first 100 cases. There's a big Halloween party. At the end of each year we have the Foxfield races, which is a combination of costume party (dress like a souther belle or gentleman), tailgate, horse racing and other general debauchery (kind of a final event for second year students). Finally, we traditionally have about a week between the end of classes and graduation called beach week where everyone, well, goes to the beach for one final hurrah.

So, those are the organized school-wide social events I can recall of the top of my head. Lots of other opportunities to socialize with specific clubs and things like that (the Latin students association party each year is crazy, consulting and finance clubs both host a lot of cocktail hours, etc.), and of course there are social based clubs (wine and cheese, outdoors, flying). Throw in the 10-50 nights per year you'll spend schmoozing with recruiters, depending on your career path, and you'll be able to find something to do almost every night if you want.

As of now, I plan to be here the weekend of Nov. 9-10. If I am here, I would be happy to try to get together with people attending the open house for drinks or whatever. There is a real possibility that I could be gone for call-back interviews. A couple of firms have already identified the days around that weekend for their super days, so we'll have to wait and see if they invite me. As far as where to stay in Charlottesville, I recall seeing an email asking for students to host visitors during that period of time. I'm not sure, but you might be able to stay for free on some student's couch (or spare bed) - you'll need to coordinate through whoever is running the event (I assume the admissions office and the student association). I don't know any more about that.
4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 426 [4] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
liubhs02 wrote:
I've got a semi-stupid question. But I was having trouble finding more detailed information on it on Darden's website or HBS's. How exactly is the case method cases conducted? I get the general jist that you study a real business case along with the limited information and have to make decisions based on the information. But does anyone have any more in depth knowledge? Would some current students/alums like to share what a typical class is like? For example, how the professor choose the student to present the case, what that student typically do, how do the classmates play into the discussion, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Here at the Darden, the case method usually goes something like this. At the start of class, the professor will usually cold-call on a student to lay out the case. This is an easy cold call, and basically the student is just expected to lay out the facts of the case and start identifying some of the issues. Anyone who has read the case can handle this first cold call with no problem, and of course every is expected to have read the case before class.

Then, the class will spend time discussing the various issues in the case. The professor will lead and direct the discussion, but the students will do most of the talking. Students volunteer if they want to contribute, so naturally some students do a lot of talking, and others are silent most of the time.

Then, depending on the type of class, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the professor will either cold-call someone or as for a volunteer to tackle the key element of the case. So for a finance or decision analysis case it might be to present a model or simulation structure, for a strategy case it might be to lay out a framework for attacking the major issues, etc. If this is a cold-call, it is considerably more challenging that the cold-call at the start of class. Then after the student called-upon presents their model or framework, the rest of the class comments and works towards a solution.

Case method is very similar to Socratic method, which is used by many law schools to lead their discussions. Basically, it's a method where a teacher asks a series of questions to get the students to think about certain ideas. Professors that are good at the case method are amazing in the way they can lead a class to learn the concepts that they are trying to get across. Sometimes, this includes allowing students to reach the wrong conclusion first (there is a famous decision analysis case here where students reach the wrong conclusion every single year) before directing them back onto the right path. Darden consistently has the highest rated professors (according to Princeton Review, which is the only group that rates this I believe) and it really shows during the first-year program. The case method is difficult to employ, and it's also very obvious when people are not good at teaching the case method. For example, I'm taking a class right now that's lead by a couple of guys that are retired professionals and not full-time professors. Their classes tend to be disjointed with random cold-calls that don't tie into the case at all. It really shows how difficult it is to teach class in this way, but the case method is "sticky learning" meaning you're more likely to learn something and retain it if you participate rather than just sit through a lecture. Hope that was informative.
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 426 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 18:23
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I've lived and worked in three of the most popular big-city destinations in the US (LA, SF, NY) so I definitely have an idea of what that is like; and I've seen my share of college towns as well. I really like Charlottesville a lot, but you really need to prepare yourelf in advance for what to expect. As a college town, Charlottesville really has everything...except for elite programs in sports that matter. For someone like me that really enjoys college sports, that's actually a pretty big factor, but at least they have Division I college football and basketball (and besides, I already have my team loyalties).

Charlottesville has a number of really good restaurants. I wasn't expecting much, thinking it would all be Applebee's and Hardee's, but I was actually pleasantly surprised. Now, you aren't going to find anything with Michelin stars there, so don't expect to dine out like you would in NY or SF, but I think the options are probably better than most cities below the Mason-Dixon line (to co-opt your geography), regardless of size, except for DC, New Orleans, maybe Atlanta. UVA being what it is, Charlottesville has quite a few truly relevant cultural attractions (as opposed to a lot of small towns that have stuff that nobody gives a cr@p about). Lot's of college towns have art gallaries and playhouses, but I think you'll find that those in Charlottesville are a cut above - and you have all the historically significant stuff as well (led by Monticello and the Univeristy itself).

A third big plus is the setting. It's a relaxed, country-club-like atmosphere around Darden and the University, and there are a whole bunch of golf courses within just a few miles ranging from moderate quality to pretty darn good. There are a lot of hiking trails and things like that as well; sure all colleges have things like these, but most can't match the overall setting that Charlottesville offers.

The night-life is where you'll really start to miss the big city (if you like that sort of thing). There are plenty of bars around, but most cater to the college crowd (obviously). You aren't gonig to find any warehouse sized clubs around Charlottesville. There's a wine growing region around Charlottesville, but if you're from SF and expect wines like those that you enjoy in Napa Valley, you're going to be disappointed. Obviously, Charlottesville isn't all that close to the beach, so folks used to the west side of LA will have to adjust. On the plus side, the co-ed population seems to be quite above average...I'm talking about academics of course :)

So, I'm actually very happy with Charlottesville. As a college town, it's pretty near perfect. You aren't going to find the hard-drinking that you will around some schools (we aren't in college anyways), and I've got to give a demerit for the crappiness of the football and basketball teams, but it's got quality in pretty much all the elements. If bonding with your fellow students and taking full advantage of what business school has to offer is a top priority for you, you will be ecstatic. Personally, I made the decision that hanging out with my friends from past lives wasn't the best use of my business school time and experience. If you want to be in a place where your friends will come visit you in school, NY, SF or LA are better choices. If you want to immerse yourself in the business school experience, you'll love Charlottesville.
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
gmat4life wrote:

Hi Solaris,

I was group one. How about you? Your thoughts on the visit?

Pelihu - Can you comment a bit on the consulting placement locations. In speaking with CDO they mentioned even some of the big firms will come in and say they are only recruiting for the Atlanta office. Can you comment on this? Does this also occur for Finance recruiting? I had read earlier that you were interested in finance, can you comment on your plan for finance recruiting this year? The CDO staff was saying they are advising students to consider alternate fields this year.

Well, I had an investment banking internship with one of the top bulge bracket banks in Los Angeles this past summer. LA is my hometown. Finance recruiting is very dead for second year students right now. Those that were with top banks over the summer do have shots at some of the openings, but those are almost exclusively in New York. I'd rather not head to New York (just personal preference) so I'm looking at some other things. One of the things I'm interested in is investment management. I'm a portfolio manager with Darden Capital Management and I like that type of work. The challenge is that many of these firms do not make hiring decisions until the spring, and this year it seems that they are really pushing back their schedules. Given the extremely tough economy with more layoffs announced every day, it will take nerves of steel to sit around and wait for jobs that may or may not materialize in the spring.

Regarding recruiting for consulting, I can tell you that comment is not true. I've been recruiting with some of the top consulting firms this year (a safe harbor for a few years given that the financial world is getting crushed - not just banks, but private equity and HFs - anyone take a look at the news from KKR and Fortress?). After on-campus interviews, I had a final round with the LA office of one of the Big 3 last week, and will be heading to San Francisco for a final round this Friday with another of the Big 3. I can also assure you that many students here have been called back by the Big 3 to New York, Chicago, New Jersey (everyone has their own preferences), Boston, Philadelphia and many other locations. I can also tell you for sure that second year students have received offers from McKinsey in Taipei, Bain in several China locations and a good friend of mine just got an offer from Bain Capital in Singapore. We also had people in Stockholm, Germany, throughout Europe and in India as well (these are all just off the top of my head - there are others).

Certainly, most people from Darden head to Atlanta, DC & Dallas, however I believe that's highly correlated with the backgrounds of the people who are here. As alluded to in some prior messages, many people here are from the South and/or would like to live in the South. Such students naturally target the offices around here (Atlanta being the biggest consulting employer in the region). It's also well-known that some locations are much more competitive to get to; San Francisco is the best example, but NY and LA are also very tough. The firms themselves say this so some students choose to direct their attentions at less competitive offices - this is particularly true for international students who don't already have ties to a certain area. Which leads to the final point that the most in-demand offices always cast a wary eye at people who do not have connections to the city in question. For example, of the 300 students in the 2nd year class at Darden, perhaps 20 are from California. Subtract out those who already have jobs, and those who are looking at other industries, and you're really looking a just a handful of people that might target San Francisco as their top choice.

But to say that any of the top firms recruit only for Atlanta is completely incorrect. I only really know about recruiting at the Big 3, but I can tell you that while Atlanta was probably the most popular destination (see above reasons), far less than 1/2 of the call-backs were for Atlanta (certainly not all). There are reasons why someone from here would choose a local as their top choice - for example the Darden community is much stronger in an office if many people head there each year and some people value this a lot. However, if you're from New York, San Francisco or Los Angeles, you'll have a great shot to interview for a job in these cities (up to you to close the deal). If you're from the hills of West Virginia before heading to Darden, you're going to have a tough time making a case for any of the most competitive cities - but that's true for almost any school with any of the elite firms.
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
I have some secret insider information news (not really) that might reduce the stress a little for you guys waiting for decisions. The admissions office just sent out an email asking for volunteers to make calls to admitted students between 5-8pm on Thursday. So, I don't know if the admissions office will be making calls at other times, but it probably doesn't make sense to start waiting by the phone until 5pm (eastern) tomorrow.
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 426 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2008, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
It's great to see that a bunch of people have received interview invites. I wanted to offer congratulations and to stress that the interview really does matter for Darden (this is based on my personal experience rather than the party line). More than almost any other school (certainly among their elite peers), Darden adcoms really look for people that are interested in and will embrace the culture and community here. So, my tip would be to learn as much as you can about the community (Darden as well as Charlottesville) and have a story about how you will take advantage as well as fit in. Some key points to hit on would be that you are aware of the work load and aren't afraid (you might point out that you want to get as much out of your MBA education as possible as long as you are paying for it), that you are interested in the Darden community (Darden Capital Management is a point of emphasis for the trustees) and that you want to be in Charlottesville (hiking trails, historic campus, ideal college-town feel, golf).

Good Luck.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 29

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 15:32
This post received
KUDOS
Hollerrrrrrrrrrrr! Darden prospective in the the hizzy!

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 31

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
ryguy904 wrote:
Does anybody know when the official Rd. 1 deadline is on the 28th (i.e., what time)?

11:59pm EST. http://www.darden.virginia.edu/html/standard.aspx?menu_id=27&styleid=4&id=579
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 15:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hey just thought I'd chime in a bit about Charlottesville since I got my masters (in systems engineering) at UVA and people are asking about the social scene/town.

1) Everything Pelihu said is dead on (esp Foxfields), the most lively scene by far in the town is called 'the corner' which is the area university ave going east as it approaches 10th st. its walking distance for the undergrads but a bit of a hike from the darden campus. if you're looking for an older crowd I suggest Buffalo Wild Wings (not to be confused with Wild Wing by the train station) which is walking distance from the Darden campus, or South street which is a bit east of where the corner is.

2) That said, *don't* wander too far north of the corner, it starts to get rather dodgy around Grady ave. The store there is called the 'shady grady' for a reason!

3) There are a ton of reasonably priced, good hotels near Monticello (not exactly peak viewing season there this time of year) that will surely have vacancies. If you're without a car the cabs shouldn't be that ridiculous to campus. Grab some bodo's bagels if you're in a breakfast mood and some Five Guys (at the huge barracks shopping plaza nearby) if you want the most delicious hamburger known to mankind.

4) Last but not least, the John Paul Jones arena (aka the JPJ) is absolutely gorgeous and better looking than what many pro basketball teams play in. If you visit late in the semester when basketball is going on I recommend you check it out. Also very much walking distance from darden.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 426 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
Ok, a couple of quick answers as I sit here at the airport.

I can only guess at what will happen with investment bank recruiting next year for current first-year students. If the economy turns around drastically and the banks find themselves shorthanded next fall, they will try to hire to fill their needs. The chance that this happens may be pretty good because it's clear that all banks have cut back internship hiring dramatically this year. The challenge, of course, is that when they hire 2nd year students for full-time positions they are looking for people who can step in and fill a role right away. Career switchers will have a challenge in demonstrating that they can fill this need. Banks are willing to hire career switchers for internships, and then weed out those that can't hack it, but I think they might be reluctant to hire untested folks for full-time positions because the commitment is much greater, and the proportion of people who cannot hack banking is fairly high.

Regarding the consulting positions in China and Taiwan, I believe these were all people returning to their home countries (not necessarily their home cities). I just spoke with a friend this afternoon, and hiring in China has been very good this year, compared with hiring in the US which has been very tough for 2nd year students. I didn't ask about details related to compensation, but my friend told me that if she returned to Shanghai to join Bain, her husband would have to take a pretty big pay-cut (he's in DC right now) but taken together they would be better off than if she took a consulting position with a slightly lesser firm in DC. That leads me to believe that they are paying her a standard US-level salary. This is different than other firms like Intel, for example, who told a friend of mine that they would pay a local salary to people interested in positions in China, and only people who were with the firm for a few years were given ex-pat packages. Overall, not a bad year to be a Chinese speaker.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2008, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
ac8706 wrote:
So I'm (finally) starting the Darden essays for Rd 2. One thing I'm curious about - there's no explicit question that says "why darden". I was thinking of incorpating bits of that into essays 1 and 3, but with those word limits, it could be pretty tricky...

Is that what y'all R1-ers did?

PS should we start a Rd 2 list?

I had some difficulty with the Darden essays to incorprate the 'why darden' bit. i used all the three essays to answer that implicit question. I might add that I am not particulary proud of my darden essays.

Traffic never sleeps...

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 15

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
R1 Applicants:
ryguy904
vdhawan1 (?)
Ntang
achilles09 (?)
McDargoiowkel
devansh_god
Captain
Leverandon
dghazer
jdburg26
nadtrans
chitown06
cs11
terp26

R2 Applicants:
ac8706
atlmba2009
solaris1
maverick2011
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 16:08
This post received
KUDOS
I just heard her youtube video again! she dint mention anything of that sort. She said that they would read the entire file (singular) before inviting 'you' for an interview. I am guessing that u misheard that comment!

Traffic never sleeps...

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 16:00
This post received
KUDOS
Just got back from my interview today down at Darden. All in all a great experience. If you can, I would recommend planning on taking advantage of the lunch with faculty and the tour of the grounds (which are amazing by the way).

My interview was with a second year. Very low threat and conversational. Be prepared to tell your story.... I mean from high school. Why you chose your undergrad school, why your major. What have you done in your career, why an MBA, why Darden, why now. Particulary important is to talk about the case method and why it is right for you. The darden website has a pretty good description of the case method.

I had my interview in the afternoon (2:30) and I'm glad that it was then. It gave me lunch and the tour to ask questions and get a feel for the school. I think fit is hugely important at Darden. It is a very structured and academically vigorous program. After visiting a couple of other schools (M7s), I felt at some it was like "I am in this and that club, and meet with this and that person, and oh yeah, by the way, I go to class too." At Darden, the academics (especially in the first three quarters) are the first priority.

So I pretty much just started talking. My interviewer interjected with leading questions when he wanted to get some more information or wanted to take the interview down a certain path. It was about 45 minutes long and he took me afterward to meet with one of the adcom reps and I spoke with her for another 30 minutes or so.

I will say that this experience was class act all the way. Very intimate and personal.

Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview yesterday. It was with a 2Y and a member of the Adcom, and like the previous poster said, very casual. She (adcom member) wanted to hear about my life story - from where I was born up until now, in about 30 minutes. I honestly wasn't prepared for that, but I can talk, so I brought 'em up to speed. Then the "Why Darden?" question, which I think was pretty easy. I totally brain farted at one point and forgot to say something about the case method, but then threw it in there later, much to my own relief. The whole thing was about 45 minutes.

Then we had a little tour of the place by a 1Y and lunch with some professors. Most of the other applicants there were pretty cool people - lots of very attractive ladies, in case that piques your interest - and everyone was very nice. Compared to every other B-school I've visited (Stanford, Haas, Kellogg, Fuqua, UNC) Darden is by far the nicest facility. (Though Haas gives it a run for its money.)

Now a good story. My interview was at 10AM, meaning I needed to be there to register by 9:30. I'm staying at a friend's house, so I woke at 8, showered/shaved, went back to my bag and realized I had forgotten to pack a dressy white shirt. Balls! I busted into my friend's room (who had returned at 4AM from his bartending shift - it was a late night for me too, I'm afraid) and went straight for his closet. His one white collared shirt was stained with coffee. Hmm. So I jump in my car and run over to KMart. Bought a $20 boxed shirt that even came with a tie. Had time to stop by Bodo's for some bagels on my way back to his house. Got dressed, took a quick look online to make sure I wasn't supposed to bring my resume, and left at 9:15 and knocked that shit out of the park.

Moral of the story: my $20 shirt = your $75 one. Woot!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, I'm on the Amtrak back from my Darden interview. I had a great time and I thought that I would post some of my observations.

They really had a whole day of events planned for us and everyone there (students, admissions officers, and faculty) where extremely welcoming. More than an interview it was really a way to be introduced to the Darden experience.

I thought that the interview was fantastic. It was actually something like a case with the case being myself. Their only question was: describe your life. Occasionally she asked follow up questions to clarify things or pose questions about my experiences. I interviewed with the Assistant Director of Admissions, who was wonderful. Some students interviewed with her and others interviewed with 2Y students. I certainly feel like it was my best interview of the ones that I have had so far.

Lunch with the faculty was interesting. At my table was a finance professor with a really sarcastic sense of humor, an accounting professor and an ethics prof, both of whom were really friendly. I was impressed by how ethics is a mandatory course. They spent a lot of time discussing the case method. The food was also really good and very Southern.

The afternoon ended with a tour of the grounds. I love the Jeffersonian Classical architecture. The whole school feels like a Southern mansion.

Of the applicants I met I was surprised by their strong regional prederence. Many students R1 list was Darden, Duke, Georgetown and UNC. No Stern or Ross applicants to be found. Most applicants seemed to be from the DC/northern VA area. I imagine that the
Admitted student body, however, is more diverse.

Overall, I got a great impression of the school and could see myself being very happy there.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
Havent we established already that the "south" is the region with REAL amercan values?

[quote="ac8706]

And here I thought I was being generous to DC et al by including them in the wonderfulness that is the North :)[/quote]

Traffic never sleeps...

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hey,

I interviewed yesterday with a second year student at Darden. Similar to Leverandon, I was only asked a single question - talk about yourself discussing career progression, career goals and why darden. We had a long converstion lasting close to an hour. He was very friendly and answered frankly all questions that I asked him.

The entire day was wonderful. The day started with a chat with a representative from the CDC. She spoke with us for an hour. Later, a current student took us for a tour of the 'grounds' which is fantastic. For all you hip-hop haters out there, the dining hall had my fav song "live your live - TI featuring Rihanna, playing in the background.

Later, we had lunch with the faculty who were really engaging and had a great sense of humor. We spoke candidly about the general state of the markets and y now was a great time to go in for an MBA (altough the faculty member at my table said that he wasnt sure about the "great time").

All in all, darden remains one of my top choices for an MBA. I spoke at length with Sarah Naher and several other current students. The only problem that I saw with darden was the fact that there was little interaction between the 1st year and 2nd year students.

btw, recruitment this year at Darden is 10% below what it was last year at this time.

Traffic never sleeps...

Last edited by traffix on 16 Dec 2008, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2008, 08:53