Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM '12
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 08:47
So... I escaped Charlottesville and headed north last friday before the snow came, but to do so had to skip out on the afternoon tour. The nicest classrooms I've seen so far were at Tuck (worst were at Yale). Can anyone comment on how the classroom and study room facilities at Darden compare?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 08:50
very nice, but not as nice as Tuck - I don't think they get an better than Tuck from what I've seen...
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 08:53
adude wrote:
So... I escaped Charlottesville and headed north last friday before the snow came, but to do so had to skip out on the afternoon tour. The nicest classrooms I've seen so far were at Tuck (worst were at Yale). Can anyone comment on how the classroom and study room facilities at Darden compare?

The classrooms were pretty average I would say (Not bad or particularly great). Just your standard 50 or so person room with white boards and wifi access. The study rooms are 50/50. Some of them have been completely re-done with whiteboards and large flat screen monitors. The other half are still behind with just large monitors and chalk boards but there are plans on upgrading those (potentially by next year). I'm not exactly sure how you can differentiate the discussion classrooms, they all look the same to me (From Fuqua, to Kellogg and even in undergrad). Maybe I haven't seen a bad or good one or if I've only seen bad or good ones.
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM '12

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 09:11
Thanks Smadge, that helps clarify how they compare. ACNguy, the big lecture room (about 100 seats) I sat in at Tuck had glass windows behind the professor that let in natural light, and you could see the trees/forest outside the building. Conducive to both learning and daydreaming.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 09:13
Putting together my app for R2....from what I gather, GMAT scores do not have to be sent until you are accepted...

Is that correct, or should I go ahead and spend 28 to send them now?
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 09:15
eteusch1 wrote:
Putting together my app for R2....from what I gather, GMAT scores do not have to be sent until you are accepted...

I just sent mine to every school I was applying to regardless of what they required. Check it out on the Darden website but don't expect much information on the application itself. It's a new system they implemented and its not without its bugs.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 09:18
ACNguy wrote:
eteusch1 wrote:

I just sent mine to every school I was applying to regardless of what they required. Check it out on the Darden website but don't expect much information on the application itself. It's a new system they implemented and its not without its bugs.

I guess I should have checked the website before posting...

"We do not require official test scores in order to process your application and get it to the Committee for review. You may self-report the scores directly into your online application. If offered admission, you will need to send official documents. However, offers of admission are not binding until official scores are received. If discrepancies are found between self-reported and official scores, the offer of admission will be withdrawn."
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 09:31
Expert's post
smadge37 wrote:
I was pointblank asked in one interview if I was just looking for my "M.R.S. degree," which as a woman at a top private equity firm, I found a highly offensive suggestion

Wow, I am SHOCKED an interviewer asked you that during an interview. That is highly inappropriate behavior.

You should have said, “yeah, are you looking for a sugarmama?”

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 16:22
yeah, it was pretty amazing - it was a second-year student and I just sort of had to take the position that one rotten apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch, as the rest of my time at that school was pretty great. it did def put me "on alert" through the rest of the process - as it's (strangely enough) something that never, ever comes up at work. just one more bschool application process horror story... :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke(ER), CBS(ER), Cornell(R1), Yale(R1), Darden(R1), MIT(R1)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 05:47
Did anyone interview with an alum in New Delhi??
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke(ER), CBS(ER), Cornell(R1), Yale(R1), Darden(R1), MIT(R1)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 05:48
madbubbles wrote:
Hey all, Darden finally broke the silence. I am an international applicant and I received my interview invite on Dec 12th. :) But the mail has no special instructions for international interviews. So I have mailed the Darden adcom seeking info. I will update about their reply. Any other international applicants got the update ?

Hey was your interview in New Delhi with Krishnan Srinivasan??
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2009, 02:28
hi all... i'm new to this forum. Applying to darden in R2 and keeping my fingers crossed :roll:
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2009, 07:54
Expert's post
Roll Call Updated: kevintay

Diversity

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 01:37
Hey guys, anyone having problems logging into Darden's application system? I can't access since yesterday. The symplicity site fails to load.. Have to send my recommender invite :(

Please count me in for round 2.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 05:49
vanilla wrote:
Hey guys, anyone having problems logging into Darden's application system? I can't access since yesterday. The symplicity site fails to load.. Have to send my recommender invite :(

Thanks!

Do you or does anyone happen to have the recommender questions available?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 06:48
vanilla wrote:

Thanks!

I can log in to the system without problems. You might want to try another browser - I have had problems accessing from Internet Explorer a couple of times...
Intern
Intern
Schools: IESE, Duke, Ross, Darden, McCombs, LBS

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 23:09
paulymba wrote:
vanilla wrote:

Thanks!

Do you or does anyone happen to have the recommender questions available?

Pretty sure these are this year's Qs. Please double check though.
1. How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
2. What unique qualities does the applicant possess that lead you to endorse his/her application to the Darden School? Cite specific examples in support of this evaluation.
3. Please comment on this applicant's experience and/or potential to mentor or manage others.
4. In what areas does the applicant need the most improvement?
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 09:33
Expert's post
Updated Roll Call with R1 interview invites for:
madbubbles
Providencia
hserfoj
somrc

Diversity

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 20:32
Augustus wrote:
vanilla wrote:

Thanks!

I can log in to the system without problems. You might want to try another browser - I have had problems accessing from Internet Explorer a couple of times...

I can log into the system too. But I know one of my recommenders has some problems accessing the system when he's about to submit the recommendation letter yesterday.

By the way, I'm officially in R2. Submitted my application 2 weeks ago and all recommendation letters have just been submitted.

All the best to all!!!
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 12:30
Hey all, Im a R1'er here, and am interviewing on the 9th with a local alumni.

For those of you who've gone through the interview process, what advice would you give ? I know Darden is really looking for fit, so howd you go about demonstrating this during your interview ?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom !
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2010, 12:30