Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden (R1), Duke (R1), Kellogg 1Y (R1), Berkeley MBA/MPH (R2), Wharton (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 18:35
Count me in for R1. I went to an admissions event in my local area and was really impressed. Chatting with a friend who is currently attending also pushed me in this direction.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 03:52
I am also in for R1. The essays are killing me!! The first one I cant even make a basic outline!! I know what to write..I have spoken to tons of alumni and current students..But all my drafts come off as amateur..Is it necessary to jazz it up? Will essay consultants help?

For the second essay..I have written abt the recession(so original!) but have given a rather insiders view of the banking industry and the essay is full of big economic terms..will that be pushing my luck or should I go ahead with the assumption that the adcoms are aware of keynesian economics ? :D
Current Student
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 11:33
nikhilfotedar wrote:
I am also in for R1. The essays are killing me!! The first one I cant even make a basic outline!! I know what to write..I have spoken to tons of alumni and current students..But all my drafts come off as amateur..Is it necessary to jazz it up? Will essay consultants help?

For the second essay..I have written abt the recession(so original!) but have given a rather insiders view of the banking industry and the essay is full of big economic terms..will that be pushing my luck or should I go ahead with the assumption that the adcoms are aware of keynesian economics ? :D

I know what you mean! The essay 1 is tough.
My biggest problem is how to put all that I want to say in 500 words!!

I also updated the list!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 20:04
Quote:
essay consultants will probably help you but they can't write it for you.

My worry on your second essay is not that they aren't aware of economics, but that it will read like a page full of jargon. Jargon isn't good. I haven't seen your essay, but I'd also be concerned that an essay full of "big economic terms" would miss the "what do you think about leadership personally" in the two part prompt.

Just remember that jargon doesn't make you sound smarter, it makes you sound like you can't relate to other people.

Makes sense! am toning down the second essay and putting more emphasis on my future goals more rather than showcasing my banking knowledge. Repped you!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 04:12
Count me in for Rd1. I had a question about the essays -since neither of the 2 essays asks for long/short-term goals specifically, are you guys alluding to them in essay 1 or 2?
The questions are undoubtedly tough...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 06:17
badgerboy wrote:
Count me in for Rd1. I had a question about the essays -since neither of the 2 essays asks for long/short-term goals specifically, are you guys alluding to them in essay 1 or 2?
The questions are undoubtedly tough...

I think you can slip in your career progression part in the first essay and somehow show how that along with your EC make u an ideal fit for Darden

For the second essay..its all abt Post MBA plans. The world economy is in the dumps, there is more oil than water in the atlantic..These things have affected you..how have they changed you? BUt most importantly you need to mention what impact these events had on your post MBA career goals!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Darden Reception [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 07:50
Hey guys-

I am attending a darden reception and was wondering if I should bring anything besides my resume?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 08:45
Guys I am facing a problem: On the application portal, when I input the test scores the checklist reflects it by showing a tick mark against test scores and its font color changes from red to green. However, when I have input the personal information and return to checklist, the cross does not convert to a tick mark and its color stays red. I have checked whether I have filled in all mandatory inputs multiple times. Is anyone else facing a similar problem? Did someone get a solution to this? I have already written to the admissions guys but they have not responded to my e-mail for 3 days now!
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 09:01
ds7 wrote:
Guys I am facing a problem: On the application portal, when I input the test scores the checklist reflects it by showing a tick mark against test scores and its font color changes from red to green. However, when I have input the personal information and return to checklist, the cross does not convert to a tick mark and its color stays red. I have checked whether I have filled in all mandatory inputs multiple times. Is anyone else facing a similar problem? Did someone get a solution to this? I have already written to the admissions guys but they have not responded to my e-mail for 3 days now!

I know exactly what you're talking about; I finally got it to "green" after I clicked both Permanent Address and Preferred Mailing Address. I believe it needs both of these to make it a green. Double check yours and you should get it to change color.

Current Student
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 16:56
Please also check this post:
A second year student @ Darden answer questions
ask-a-darden-second-year-101909.html

I am also including the link in the first post.

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 17:37
im in r1 guys, Good luck all!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 11:51
bakfed wrote:
ds7 wrote:

I know exactly what you're talking about; I finally got it to "green" after I clicked both Permanent Address and Preferred Mailing Address. I believe it needs both of these to make it a green. Double check yours and you should get it to change color.

That works, thanks a lot bakfed
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden 2013

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 18:57
How are you all addressing the "Hours per month" field in the Employment section?
Retired Moderator

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 19:39
some jobs, though "full-time", may require more than 40 hours per week (i.e. IB/MC). Simply put down what your job entails and the hour it requires of you per week, per month.

My job is a standard 40-hour-week job. Therefore, it would be 160 hours/month no matter how I spin it.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden 2013

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 04:42
bakfed wrote:
some jobs, though "full-time", may require more than 40 hours per week (i.e. IB/MC). Simply put down what your job entails and the hour it requires of you per week, per month.

My job is a standard 40-hour-week job. Therefore, it would be 160 hours/month no matter how I spin it.

Ah, so just assume a full 4 weeks a month. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 28

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 12:32
Include me in for R2. Reapp!!

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Retired Moderator

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 13:38
Does Darden require an official copy of GMAT score prior to deadlines? Or does Darden need to see it after offer is sent out to students (and of course, offer not binding until official scores are received)?

Thanks!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 02:13
Can anyone share some thoughts one the elevator pitch? I am thinking it should include 'why' as well as 'what' my career goals are, but with just 150 words, i am not sure i can get all that to fit in.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 02:16
bakfed wrote:
Does Darden require an official copy of GMAT score prior to deadlines? Or does Darden need to see it after offer is sent out to students (and of course, offer not binding until official scores are received)?

Thanks!

From the Darden website:

We evaluate only GMAT results from tests taken prior to submission of the application. The highest score is used, but we do not combine scores from multiple tests. Scores are valid for five years. We do not require official test scores in order to process your application and get it to the Committee for review. You may self-report the scores directly into your online application. If offered admission, you will need to send official documents. However, offers of admission are not binding until official scores are received. If discrepancies are found between self-reported and official scores, the offer of admission will be withdrawn.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Staford(R2),Kellogg(R2),Columbia(R2)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 08:04
what are the recommendation questions for Darden
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2010, 08:04