Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 12:52
For those of y'all who interviewed at Darden, did anyone try to schedule a time outside of what they offer? I am the random R3 applicant on here, and I will already be in the area a couple of days before the only days they offer for me to schedule one. Should I try to call and see if I can interview while I'm there? Did anyone try that and how receptive were they? I don't want to be difficult, but then again it would be nice not to have to pay to change the plane ticket I already have for other reasons and not to miss more work. Any input would be appreciated!
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 13:56
sls579 wrote:
For those of y'all who interviewed at Darden, did anyone try to schedule a time outside of what they offer? I am the random R3 applicant on here, and I will already be in the area a couple of days before the only days they offer for me to schedule one. Should I try to call and see if I can interview while I'm there? Did anyone try that and how receptive were they? I don't want to be difficult, but then again it would be nice not to have to pay to change the plane ticket I already have for other reasons and not to miss more work. Any input would be appreciated!

You could always call the admissions team as you'll find that everyone there is extremely helpful. If I were you, I'd call and ask about my concerns, and if to no avail, I'd see if I can reschedule my trip to Virginia.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Yale School of Management '13
WE 1: 7 years in Software Development
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 18:45
Any forte fellows here? Got to know I've been named one.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden 2013

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 19:30
anudada wrote:

I'm one as well.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 20:15
tarheel2009 wrote:
anudada wrote:

I'm one as well.

I've been searching on what are the benefits of being a forte fellow, but that's kinda difficult sitting in India. Whats the general rep of Forte foundation? Is it something great to be associated with? I know that like with any organization, what you get out of it will be a function of what you put into it, but I want a general idea anyway.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 04:54
anudada wrote:
tarheel2009 wrote:
anudada wrote:

I'm one as well.

I've been searching on what are the benefits of being a forte fellow, but that's kinda difficult sitting in India. Whats the general rep of Forte foundation? Is it something great to be associated with? I know that like with any organization, what you get out of it will be a function of what you put into it, but I want a general idea anyway.

Everything I've read about the Forte Foundation points to them being amazing. Just check out the folks who associate themselves with Forte: http://www.fortefoundation.org/site/Pag ... onsor_main

Top companies and top business schools. They also have their own career center :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Carnegie Mellon Tepper (R2), Duke (R2), Notre Dame (R2), Georgetown (R2), UVA Darden (R2), USC (R2), Kellogg (R2)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 18:56
Just curious...does anyone know if Darden uses a traditional grading system...like A,B,C etc...or something more similar to HBS' where it's just 1, 2, 3?
Current Student

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 19:09
tarheel2009 wrote:

Everything I've read about the Forte Foundation points to them being amazing. Just check out the folks who associate themselves with Forte: http://www.fortefoundation.org/site/Pag ... onsor_main

Top companies and top business schools. They also have their own career center :)

Thanks for the info tarheel!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 06:00
calisnoopy wrote:
Just curious...does anyone know if Darden uses a traditional grading system...like A,B,C etc...or something more similar to HBS' where it's just 1, 2, 3?

They don't use letters or numbers.... they have distinguished/high/standard/low performance

http://coldcallchronicle.com/index.php? ... 3:features
Manager
Manager
Schools: Carnegie Mellon Tepper (R2), Duke (R2), Notre Dame (R2), Georgetown (R2), UVA Darden (R2), USC (R2), Kellogg (R2)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 06:50
tarheel2009 wrote:
calisnoopy wrote:

They don't use letters or numbers.... they have distinguished/high/standard/low performance

Thanks for the info!

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong (or if you heard otherwise from a Darden student/adcom) but I called the Darden Admissions Office for clarification on the background check, like many of you, I did not see it on the checklist and the lady I spoke to said there was no background check that she was aware of.
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 07:24
calisnoopy wrote:
tarheel2009 wrote:
calisnoopy wrote:

Thanks for the info!

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong (or if you heard otherwise from a Darden student/adcom) but I called the Darden Admissions Office for clarification on the background check, like many of you, I did not see it on the checklist and the lady I spoke to said there was no background check that she was aware of.

yep, that's the response I got several months ago. The lady said that there was no post-admission background check and that Darden has done whatever it needed to be done pre-admission. I'm not sure exactly what that meant but I let it go at the time. I know for a fact that Darden didn't call up my recommenders because I've asked them about it. Perhaps Darden picks and chooses from the pool to do check-ups before making the final offer?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 08:48
Have fun guys! Please give us updates if you are attending the event!
Darden Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 12:37
Darden Days is over and was an absolutely fantastic experience, looking forward to August and seeing everyone I met this weekend. A few people rambling in the case study but we'll get the hang of things, and it seems like most everyone is very smart and extremely motivated.
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 13:36
Unfortunately I had to miss this exciting event. But I know I'll partake in next year's as a fresh batch of students come. =)

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Public Finance, 3 years
WE 2: Corporate Finance - M&A at a BIG 4, 2 years
WE 3: Business Analysis, 1.5 years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 17:09
WilliamWykeham wrote:
Darden Days is over and was an absolutely fantastic experience, looking forward to August and seeing everyone I met this weekend. A few people rambling in the case study but we'll get the hang of things, and it seems like most everyone is very smart and extremely motivated.

what group were you in? My group was definitely not like that. Everyone had incredible viewpoints, no rambling. I loved it.
Darden Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 10:08
lencheto18 wrote:
WilliamWykeham wrote:

what group were you in? My group was definitely not like that. Everyone had incredible viewpoints, no rambling. I loved it.

Let me be clear that wasn't nearly characteristic of the entire case discussion, which was a treat to be in. The professor delivered a top-notch performance. Afterwards really appreciated the time that current students put in to talk with us (especially props to Paul in the Consulting Club) and the evening at the vineyard. Big success guys!

Also I need to go back and double check here to see if there were any more admits writing that they intend to matriculate, but if anyone who has decided on Darden already could post here or PM me I would be thankful.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '13

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 19:23
WilliamWykeham wrote:
lencheto18 wrote:
WilliamWykeham wrote:

Let me be clear that wasn't nearly characteristic of the entire case discussion, which was a treat to be in. The professor delivered a top-notch performance. Afterwards really appreciated the time that current students put in to talk with us (especially props to Paul in the Consulting Club) and the evening at the vineyard. Big success guys!

Also I need to go back and double check here to see if there were any more admits writing that they intend to matriculate, but if anyone who has decided on Darden already could post here or PM me I would be thankful.

I'm matriculating 8-)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross '14 (S)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 01:25
Any R3 interview invites so far ?
Intern
Intern
Schools: kellogg,stanford,cornell,darden

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 07:54
Nope...I think sls579 got one couple of weeks ago.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 07:59
hpf2011 wrote:
Nope...I think sls579 got one couple of weeks ago.

Yes I got one on the 11th and then had my interview on the 22nd... guessing I was lucky to be among the first, but they say the invites go out until the decision date. I'm glad to see some other R3 applicants on here.
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2011, 07:59