Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 19:07
This post received
KUDOS
bakedbread wrote:
shaselai wrote:
anyone have any idea the progress of the invites? i am not being cocky but i think maybe i shouldve gotten an invite... hmmmm

don't worry im sure you'll get yours soon!

yea he'll get his soon alright...sorry but noone should feel entitled to receive anything.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
mackd,

i wrote about the surge in iraq where i led a platoon against Sunni insurgent strongholdsfrom 2007-2009 , lots of military applicants to Darden so we will usually chose deployments, i know most outside the military may leave these out since our country is the way it is with a tiny military (<1% population)

i think, depnding on your interets, events such as the Haiti disaster and relief efforts if you had any role from donating money to raising awarness etc, could show how you care about things bigger than yourself, how you used available business skills to respond

i think ethics/values will be a major point of emphasis, especially for Darden. But like others have said, as long as you are specific i think the recession can be good, i think it would only be dangerous if it did not answer the question about your view of leadership

good luck, im in for Rd 2 as well,
ryan
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stern(R1), Haas (R2)
WE 1: Software Engineering
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
mackd wrote:
Hi all,

I know R1 candidates are waiting for results but meanwhile could you also help me with 2nd essay question of darden, "A global event that has changed your leadership style". I just can't think of a global event other than recession or Chile mine disaster. Recession seems to be way to general and Chile mine disaster is too recent. Any ideas ??

:thanks n :gl

When they say a 'global' event, I understood it as global to Darden. It appears you think that a Greek cannot write about the Greek debt crisis. I hope I am not wrong as I chose a significant event in my country and explained how it can have global significance and how it has affected my long-term plans. :problem:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3Y IB
WE 2: 3Y Non-profit Healthcare
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 32

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
When they say a 'global' event, I understood it as global to Darden. It appears you think that a Greek cannot write about the Greek debt crisis. I hope I am not wrong as I chose a significant event in my country and explained how it can have global significance and how it has affected my long-term plans. :problem:[/quote]

I don't think that's what those guys were saying. The Greek debt crisis most definitely had global implications. I think you should mostly avoid local stories about cats in trees or town hall disputes. The focus here should not be on the event but on how it relates to your story. Darden does not give you much room to present yourself. Frankly, I think that it is a little presumptous of Darden to think that everyone's view of leadership has been significantly affected by a global event that has occured in the last two years. Be willing to think outside the box to get your story across.

I transitioned to healthcare from banking two years ago. My essay was about the BP oil spill and lack of focus on employee and environmental safety. This event helped me understand why the leaders in my company prioritized safety. I have no interest in energy but I used the BP leadership example to highlight what I have learned about ethics and corporate responsibility. I also set the context for the story by describing my interactions with our executives thus alluding to my responsibilities without discussing them directly. I got an interview so I guess they didn't hate it.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
IMO...This essay does not require a discussion of a global event. It requires how your understanding of leadership evolved in past coupla years. If Haiti, Chile, Greek, recession, BP oil spill did not affect your views on leadership then there is no point in discussing about it. I wrote something that was not truly global but was an international experience for me and how it impacted my views on leadership.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
gaga wrote:
IMO...This essay does not require a discussion of a global event. It requires how your understanding of leadership evolved in past coupla years. If Haiti, Chile, Greek, recession, BP oil spill did not affect your views on leadership then there is no point in discussing about it. I wrote something that was not truly global but was an international experience for me and how it impacted my views on leadership.

i tried to not cover anything that will be over discussed like bp, financial collapse etc. I talked about an entertainment global impact that ties to my goals.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden (wl), Duke (interview), Cornell (interview), Yale (R2), Emory(R2)
WE 1: Big 4 CPA firms/three years(at matriculation)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 17:22
This post received
KUDOS
I had my Skype interview with Whitney on Dec 07. She's extremely nice, with smile on her face all the time. We had a nice chat lasting for more than one hour. At the end, she actively gave me her email address, which I almost forgot. Looking forward to hearing from the adcom soon. Darden is so amazing~~!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden (wl), Duke (interview), Cornell (interview), Yale (R2), Emory(R2)
WE 1: Big 4 CPA firms/three years(at matriculation)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 21:22
This post received
KUDOS
At the beginning, you talk about your life story. During this time, the interviewer will interrupt for several times for follow-up questions about your specific leadership\teamwork experience, your family, your extracurricular activities, and your hobbies. He or she wants to hear detailed examples. So the only REAL question asked is your life story. Any other questions are conversation-like follow-up questions based on your own stories. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UVA Darden (R1), Cornell Johnson (R1), Yale SOM (R1), Oxford Said (R2)
WE 1: 5 Yrs Mgmt Consulting

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
Two things: 70%, 31% ------ rounding 69.5%, 30.5%?

Re-applicant: There is no reapp essay, I tried to slightly allude to my previous app essay and my growth in one of my essays. I think I wrote just one reference sentence, just to make sure the entire application both last year's and this year's were reviewed as insurance in case they did not recognize the re-application. However, Darden, as usual, knew right away through the simplicity application. They even sent a note about the option to re-interview, I thought it was very professional. Best of luck, cheers!
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 148

Kudos [?]: 487 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
Who has deleted my reply? :?:

pls contact me via pm. we need to talk.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
almostfamous wrote:
Hi Gaga,

Thanks for the input. I was thinking that the low stat could also be due to their remote location?

Yes, that's partly true. But Darden's career office does a good job (otherwise we would be talking about it like we talk about Cornell). Not sure how Cornell will pull off this year...I hope they do well since I really like the people there.

Getting back to Darden...finance sector requires much more networking than consulting, so Darden's location hurts there. Then Darden's network is not strong in the west coast, so technology folks have to compromise. Consulting is great at Darden but then big 4 recruit 1-2 students only. CPG's don't recruit internationals. Danaher recruits heavily at Darden but then do you want to go there (I know I don't!)

So, all in all, IMO only...students wait a little longer to get their dream job and finally settle with whatever they get. I think it must be really hard to compromise after going to an elite school but if people will get the point that Darden offers great education then that'll help a lot! Look at their essays and you'll get the point that they don't focus too much on your career goals...it's the same in their interviews. They look for people who will contribute and fit in the case study method.

I will apply to Darden expecting a great education (top 4 in US..IMO) but will use my personal network to get that dream job.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 18:55
This post received
KUDOS
caitlin wrote:
I'd like to know when is the decision week~~~ I had my interview a week ago. This waiting is killing me :shock:

You should expect to hear back the week of January 10th, 2011.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 01:35
This post received
KUDOS
^^The Executive Center is $85/night if you are invited to interview. No shuttle there though.

The Holiday Inn University is the only hotel I know of that offers a shuttle, but it is a 1-2 mile walk, which isn't so great. :-/

You can generally find that Holiday Inn on Hotwire for $60-$70/night, not bad considering that a taxi will run you $25 each way and for the hotel price you get the shuttle both ways included.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
almostfamous wrote:
Wonder if anyone is around during the biggest holiday of the year but I'll try!

I'm in the middle of the fun part of the application; planning my trip to schools. If there is anyone who could recommend a convenient accommodation option for Darden, I would greatly appreciate.

The school's web site mentions the Residence Center, but I find it a little annoying that there is no essential information of the venue, such as the price range. At Expedia, I find several hotels carrying "University Area" in their names including Holiday Inn.

Ideally, I am looking for a place that offers complementary shuttle ride between the hotel and the Charlottesville airport, and that is within a walking distance from Darden.

Thanks for your help!

I stayed at the Cavalier Inn, which is owned by UVA. I think they do have shuttles to/from airport. Kind of a far walk, about a mile or so from Darden. They're cheap and the recent renovation is really nice. I recommend getting a rental car though, you'll have the ability to drive around the area and get a feel for the city.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
almostfamous wrote:
Wonder if anyone is around during the biggest holiday of the year but I'll try!

I'm in the middle of the fun part of the application; planning my trip to schools. If there is anyone who could recommend a convenient accommodation option for Darden, I would greatly appreciate.

The school's web site mentions the Residence Center, but I find it a little annoying that there is no essential information of the venue, such as the price range. At Expedia, I find several hotels carrying "University Area" in their names including Holiday Inn.

Ideally, I am looking for a place that offers complementary shuttle ride between the hotel and the Charlottesville airport, and that is within a walking distance from Darden.

Thanks for your help!

Go to Cavalier Inn. You can get to-from airport and then to Darden as well. You can mention that you're international and new to US, then they'll provide you shuttle even at 11 pm in the night (at least they provided me!)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
bakfed wrote:
Guys, I know that Darden says to not bring a resume to the interview. Did anyone still bring the resume and/or utilized it in the interview? What do you recommend bringing to the interview besides your nicely-pressed self?

you really don't need anything. if you bring a resume, they won't look at it. the interview is similar to somebody getting to know you during a conversation. be prepared to talk about yourself and why you made the decisions you did - if you go through it once or twice ahead of time you should be fine especially since it is your life story :-D . if you think you forgot something in your don't worry because 1. they'll ask you about it or 2. it wasn't that important. and always bring a few questions for the interviewer - its your chance to get to know them.

the one thing i was thrown off by when i went to the campus was how nice the staff and students were. truly an amiable and passionate community.

you're interviewing on the 7th right? in case i forget, good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Paris, , Tepper
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hussain15 wrote:
Just a little query.

In the employment section of the application, we need to submit the numbers of starting & ending salaries. Can we show the numbers in local currency or do we need to show the nubmers in US $ ?

I googled this query but couldn't find any answer. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Hussain15,
Most U.S. schools require to convert the amount into US dollars. Even Darden does not specifically state such a requirement explicitly, I would provide the salaries in US dollars, converted from the original amount.

I usually use Oanda or other sites to do the conversion, using the current conversion rate.

Hope this was of some help. Good luck with your application!

If you like my post, a kudos is not expected but appreciated

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 450 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 20:33
This post received
KUDOS
ashishtamg wrote:
I have done the payment and submitteded all required material. Now i can not find the Submit button.
URGENT HELP!!!

There is an option tab of "review and submit application". Go to that tab, there is a button "submit application" in the bottom there. Click that button & that's it. A confirmation mail will also be sent to you.

You can also find the "review and submit application" button by going to "return to checklist" on the top left of your screen.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
reapplicant wrote:
I wanted to explain employment gap and choice of recommenders.

I would recall that Darden mentions something in the line of "please explain any employment gaps" on the Professional Section. So maybe you got lucky and you have already mentioned the gaps however briefly on this section, eliminating the need for iteration on the Declaration Section?

If not, and if you feel it is important to explain the gap(s), you might consider reaching the admissions team to explain your situation. In this way, you can be upfront with the admissions office about the omission that it was not intentional but merely by a human error that we all make.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your application.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 16:53
This post received
KUDOS
visor wrote:
2011App wrote:
So I guess Monday is when the madness starts? Anyone going to freak out a little this weekend?

Forget the weekend, I've already began to freak out. I remember in my interview, the interviewer mentioned that what got me to that stage was two readers liked my app. Now, after the interview, three more readers will read my app to render a decision.

Wow. So five people are involved to make the final decision on a single application. Then, Darden is the most comprehensive and thorough school in terms of candidate evaluation, as far as I know.

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2011, 16:53