Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Darden 2013
 Q49  V38 GMAT 2: 750  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Can anyone share some thoughts one the elevator pitch? I am thinking it should include 'why' as well as 'what' my career goals are, but with just 150 words, i am not sure i can get all that to fit in.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
Does Darden require an official copy of GMAT score prior to deadlines? Or does Darden need to see it after offer is sent out to students (and of course, offer not binding until official scores are received)?

Thanks!

From the Darden website:

We evaluate only GMAT results from tests taken prior to submission of the application. The highest score is used, but we do not combine scores from multiple tests. Scores are valid for five years. We do not require official test scores in order to process your application and get it to the Committee for review. You may self-report the scores directly into your online application. If offered admission, you will need to send official documents. However, offers of admission are not binding until official scores are received. If discrepancies are found between self-reported and official scores, the offer of admission will be withdrawn.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Entreprenuership,non-profit and marketing
Schools:Staford(R2),Kellogg(R2),Columbia(R2)
GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
Send PM
what are the recommendation questions for Darden
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Wharton, Kellogg, MIT, Kenan-Flagler, Booth, Darden, Duke
Send PM
ds7 wrote:
Guys I am facing a problem: On the application portal, when I input the test scores the checklist reflects it by showing a tick mark against test scores and its font color changes from red to green. However, when I have input the personal information and return to checklist, the cross does not convert to a tick mark and its color stays red. I have checked whether I have filled in all mandatory inputs multiple times. Is anyone else facing a similar problem? Did someone get a solution to this? I have already written to the admissions guys but they have not responded to my e-mail for 3 days now!

I have the same problem with the Education section. Any ideas?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
KingShark wrote:
Can anyone share some thoughts one the elevator pitch? I am thinking it should include 'why' as well as 'what' my career goals are, but with just 150 words, i am not sure i can get all that to fit in.

I think you need the "what" but unlike most schools you can be a little more general (I want to be a an associate at your consulting firm because...)
The "why" has to be in there for sure, again though I'm going at it a little different, considering the fact that we have 150 words and we are in an elevator with said employer, I'm using that context to explain my fit with consulting and that I am aware of its demands and nature.

What were you thinking about?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I need to know whether I can press the submit button before my referees submit my recommendations....Obviously I will ensure that recommendations are submitted before the deadline.
Kind of getting agitated here!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nuvolari wrote:
ds7 wrote:
Guys I am facing a problem: On the application portal, when I input the test scores the checklist reflects it by showing a tick mark against test scores and its font color changes from red to green. However, when I have input the personal information and return to checklist, the cross does not convert to a tick mark and its color stays red. I have checked whether I have filled in all mandatory inputs multiple times. Is anyone else facing a similar problem? Did someone get a solution to this? I have already written to the admissions guys but they have not responded to my e-mail for 3 days now!

I have the same problem with the Education section. Any ideas?

For me (problem on personal profile section), I had to check a few more boxes....try checking if some boxes that might be required have been left unchecked.
Current Student
Send PM
You can hit submit before your recommenders do, they just have to be done by the deadline
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
You can hit submit before your recommenders do, they just have to be done by the deadline

Thanks...just hit the submit button....
Current Student
Send PM
^^^^ AAAAHHH good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
In for Round 1. Reapp from last year. Man, they sure made the essays hard this year. I am having a hard as hell time getting a quality essay out for either of them. Good luck to everyone. Anyone know if darden's reviews in order received or anything like that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all! Poch here, first year at Darden. I was a pretty active member of these forums last year, and I gotta say it's helped me a lot. I don't check it as much anymore, but if you have any questions about Darden life and Charlottesville life, please shoot me an email: pochcc@yahoo.com. Don't worry, I won't sell Darden to you (too much). I'll try to offer my balanced opinion, as much as I can. That said, I love Darden, so my balanced opinion might not seem very balanced.

A few observations...

1. Darden is NOT for those who want an easy time. The days are long here, and the workload is pretty daunting. That said, we only have classes 4 days a week (Mon-Thu), with Friday dubbed "career day." That's where you focus on all things post-darden - like a job. As such, we have something called the Thursday Night Drinking Club (TNDC), which is great for unwinding and getting to know your classmates outside the academic setting. We party pretty hard, but I've never worked harder than in Darden.

2. Charlottesville is a nice little town. It's nice. But it's tiny. It's very picturesque, and you could spend hours just walking around, especially nowadays that it's autumn. There are enough restaurants, bars and places to keep you occupied though, when you're not studying.

3. The case method was something new to me, and I did struggle a little bit at the beginning, but it really is a great way to tap into your classmates as great resources of knowledge. We have classmates who are olympiads, tech entrepreneurs, lawyers etc from 70+ countries... So when we discuss global economic policies for example, you really see points of view from China, France, Moldova, etc., as well as from economists, bankers, entrepreneurs, etc. But of course, that just makes it harder, because theory is something that you should already have at the back of your mind, and you just debate on its applications, merits, etc. The case method requires a critical mind - so if you want theory shoved down your throat, this is not a place for you. But if you like applying theory to different situations and learning about its applications in different parts of the world, this is the place for you.

4. The people here are really friendly. And very, very, very helpful. And that goes for everyone -faculty, staff, classmates, and alumni. If you're ever going job hunting (and I'm sure you are after B-school), it'd be great to have very supportive alums. And Darden's got a great network.

Should be enough for now. Hope that's gotten people more excited about getting into Darden (you should be!). and for those on the fence, if you think those things above are interesting, apply!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Thanks, poch, for your insight. I've already submitted my application...so hope for the best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
International applicants, couple of questions:

1. I took my TOEFL IBT test on 18th September and I can view my scores online. However, I can't find percentile scores for any of the sections. I am yet to receive my score report through post. Should I leave the percentile fields for TOEFL IBT blank in the online application?

2. In Educational History, there are two fields for GPA. One in Education History #1 called 'GPA' and another called 'International GPA'. Should I fill in only the International GPA? Should I fill in both?

I have sent an e-mail to the adcom. Just wanted to know if anyone already knows how to handle this.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
KingShark wrote:

I think you need the "what" but unlike most schools you can be a little more general (I want to be a an associate at your consulting firm because...)
The "why" has to be in there for sure, again though I'm going at it a little different, considering the fact that we have 150 words and we are in an elevator with said employer, I'm using that context to explain my fit with consulting and that I am aware of its demands and nature.

What were you thinking about?

I have a Tech background and I am interested in Product Management post MBA. While I can easily explain the fit, it is just that I have never done anything remotely similar to an elevator pitch. I was trying to be very specific, with reasons for why firm 'x' as well. Thanks for the tip. I'll just say the technology sector instead of naming the firm.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Send PM
KingShark wrote:
International applicants, couple of questions:

1. I took my TOEFL IBT test on 18th September and I can view my scores online. However, I can't find percentile scores for any of the sections. I am yet to receive my score report through post. Should I leave the percentile fields for TOEFL IBT blank in the online application?

2. In Educational History, there are two fields for GPA. One in Education History #1 called 'GPA' and another called 'International GPA'. Should I fill in only the International GPA? Should I fill in both?

I have sent an e-mail to the adcom. Just wanted to know if anyone already knows how to handle this.

Thanks.

if it helps..
1) I left the fields in blank
2) I only completed in international GPA

I already submitted my application too!! Good luck to all!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Send PM
pochcc wrote:
Hi all! Poch here, first year at Darden. I was a pretty active member of these forums last year, and I gotta say it's helped me a lot. I don't check it as much anymore, but if you have any questions about Darden life and Charlottesville life, please shoot me an email: pochcc@yahoo.com. Don't worry, I won't sell Darden to you (too much). I'll try to offer my balanced opinion, as much as I can. That said, I love Darden, so my balanced opinion might not seem very balanced.

A few observations...

1. Darden is NOT for those who want an easy time. The days are long here, and the workload is pretty daunting. That said, we only have classes 4 days a week (Mon-Thu), with Friday dubbed "career day." That's where you focus on all things post-darden - like a job. As such, we have something called the Thursday Night Drinking Club (TNDC), which is great for unwinding and getting to know your classmates outside the academic setting. We party pretty hard, but I've never worked harder than in Darden.

2. Charlottesville is a nice little town. It's nice. But it's tiny. It's very picturesque, and you could spend hours just walking around, especially nowadays that it's autumn. There are enough restaurants, bars and places to keep you occupied though, when you're not studying.

3. The case method was something new to me, and I did struggle a little bit at the beginning, but it really is a great way to tap into your classmates as great resources of knowledge. We have classmates who are olympiads, tech entrepreneurs, lawyers etc from 70+ countries... So when we discuss global economic policies for example, you really see points of view from China, France, Moldova, etc., as well as from economists, bankers, entrepreneurs, etc. But of course, that just makes it harder, because theory is something that you should already have at the back of your mind, and you just debate on its applications, merits, etc. The case method requires a critical mind - so if you want theory shoved down your throat, this is not a place for you. But if you like applying theory to different situations and learning about its applications in different parts of the world, this is the place for you.

4. The people here are really friendly. And very, very, very helpful. And that goes for everyone -faculty, staff, classmates, and alumni. If you're ever going job hunting (and I'm sure you are after B-school), it'd be great to have very supportive alums. And Darden's got a great network.

Should be enough for now. Hope that's gotten people more excited about getting into Darden (you should be!). and for those on the fence, if you think those things above are interesting, apply!

thanks for sharing!!
It's nice to see current students around here
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  86   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts