Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 206 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
sweatytofu wrote:
I just wanted to get an opinion on my particular situation. I was interviewed by the admissions committee 2 weeks ago. I never brought this up in my interview, but I'm planning to enroll in some college level accounting and finance courses prior to my MBA matriculation. I have an engineering background and my quantitative score on the gmat was pretty decent so I don't think they'd question my quantitative abilities.

The question is if you guys think I should notify my interviewer AND/OR account manager about my enrollment in these courses prior to my matriculation? Thanks guys!

To be honest with you, I don't think this will affect much. Once you reach the interview stage, the AdComs are pretty much sure of your ability to succeed intellectually, but they just want to know who you are through the interview. The additional classes surely will help your own knowledge, but I think you've already impressed the AdComs with your intellectually ability.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden 2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
sweatytofu wrote:
just out of curiosity, for those who already got admitted in R1, when did your application status change? before you guys got the phone call or later that night?

thanks!

My status changed a day after my phone call.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden
WE 1: Public Finance, 3 years
WE 2: Corporate Finance - M&A at a BIG 4, 2 years
WE 3: Business Analysis, 1.5 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
kitbama wrote:
Has anyone heard about scholarships or fellowships, etc?

She indicated that this information will be in the official letter to be received next week.

Last edited by lencheto18 on 24 Mar 2011, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Carnegie Mellon Tepper (R2), Duke (R2), Notre Dame (R2), Georgetown (R2), UVA Darden (R2), USC (R2), Kellogg (R2)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call--am in Boston so I was surprised to see a missed call/vmail about 20 minutes ago.

My interviewer called me and she said I would receive a packet via mail with more details on Admit weekend (April 15th-16th) and also financial aid information.

Was told they will update your status information online at 12am EST

Last edited by calisnoopy on 23 Mar 2011, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
wp06 wrote:
IN!!

congrats!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
they said tonight at midnight we have access to our online account, letters on scholarships / fin. aid get mailed tomorrow, darden days 15-16 APR (same as NYU / Wharton fml), decision deadline is 02 MAY
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden School of Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
Im INNNN
South american aplicant here.
great news and keep the hope up !
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden (In) Kenan-Flagler (In), Stern (In-$), Yale (Ding w/int), McDonough (In)
WE 1: IT Management Consulting

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
IN!!! Very excited! From Washington, DC

Good luck to everyone. I know it is getting tense (I certainly have been since the calls started this morning) but keep up the hope. Calls are still very much going out...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '13
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
IN!!

Got the call at 11:45 ET. I'm located in Utah.
Congrats to all the admits! Everyone else, keep the hope alive!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
In, very excited after being wait-listed at a slightly less competitive school.

Last edited by Blackfoliage on 23 Mar 2011, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (Ding), CBS (R2WL), Ross ,Darden (R2 Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted, after two WL's very nice to get a positive response!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 22:21
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by MBAIsrael on 24 Mar 2011, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
pdenton92000 wrote:
pdenton92000 wrote:
Ding. Pretty disappointed but not surprised. My interview did not go as planned. I interviewed with an admission rep. The admin rep was extremely disrespectful and down right rude. For half of the interview, he was staring at a picture on his wall and the other half of the interview he was playing with his cell phone and sending out texts. Needless to say, it was the least professional interview I have ever been apart of. GET IT TOGETHER DARDEN!!

Im sorry that you've had a bad experience with a rep. You should put in an anonymous complaint, explaining in detail what had happened, for the sake of other applicants (and revenge! ).

I honestly don't see how tell them about my horrid interview would do good and probably more harm. If I complain, its my word vs the admin reps and I don't see a situation where the school would side with me over him. Even if I complained and they listened to me, I don't see them changing me from a 'ding' to an 'IN'. The whole situation just stinks.

In my humble opinion, it can get you a second interview. Ofcourse as an admitted student, I'm being selfish here as I don't want to miss out on a great classmate. You do have a legitimate case here and I'm sure you won't be the first person to complain about an adcom member. Worst case scenario, the ding will remain a ding where your e-mail is trashed and ID marked spam.

I had a similar experience at Kellogg but it was a stretch school for me, so I let it go. If you really felt you were in with a chance, for all practical purposes, you should e-mail them. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with everything else!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 14:41
This post received
KUDOS
jb88 wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:
3. Career Opportunities/Career Center - Career Center is consistantly rated as one of the top in the nation. Having personally visited the career centers of 6 top schools this year, I will say that Darden just had it together better than anyone else. Also, they extend the career center services to all alumni indefinitely. The same cannot be said of most other schools. Darden does not have as many MBB recruits as Michigan but that is due to size (500 vs. 300). Proportionally, MBB hires more from Darden than Ross. Consulting hiring is up at all top schools, but Darden in particular. I was speaking with a second year last week who told me that Darden just announced that McKinsey alone had extended offers to 10% of the entire Darden Class this year-That proportion is comparable to HBS or Wharton.

...and last but not least, there is the X factor, that gut feeling that you just can't explain. I feel it with Darden.

I think you bring up some great points and going to either school will certainly provide a great deal of opportunity to get into consulting or IB, but my research has not yielded the same results. For one, I've actually heard from alumni that Darden has pretty bad career services and you are overly reliant on your own efforts.

Ross v. Darden
In terms of Mck/Bain/BCG hires, for class of 2010:
13/6/5 (5.53% of 434 size class) vs. 4/3/7 (4.2% of class of 333)

Class of 2011 Internships:
7/6/4 (3.4% of 500 size class) vs. 4/6/5 (4.85% of class of 309)
Orange is assuming best case scenario for these firms (since Darden only reports highest # of hires)

For IB, I would say your chances are statistically doubled at Darden, but then again you could end up down in Charlotte (BofA) ::shudder::

A good resource is GMAT Club/Darden Alum Pelihu (he actually went to UM undergrad). He has many candid posts about his experiences at Darden. Here's a start top-15-match-up-ross-vs-darden-55545.html#p415006

I can't believe you'd turn down the $$, but follow your heart. C'ville is beautiful, so best of luck!!

Undoubtedly, both have stellar programs/placement. I actually ran a similar analysis but I did it for the past 4 years (2007-2010) so as to get a better feel of how recruiting is affected by bad economy/good economy. I was able to attain the exact number of MBB from the Ross employment report. I had to call Darden and obtain their information manually, as they don't disclose that degree of detail in their report. I also factored in the fact that not all students are actually seeking employment (in most top-tier schools it's about 10-15%. Here are my results:

2007-2010

Michigan - 114 MBB Hires/ 1506 Students seeking employment = 7.6% of Student Body into MBB
Darden - 79 MBB Hires / 1196 = 6.6% of Student Body into MBB

I also ran the numbers on Duke, for good measure:
Fuqua - 68 MBB Hires / 1501 employment seekers = 4.5% of Student body into MBB

Wharton, the gold standard for MBB recruiting (of the schools that report) stood at about 16% of Student Body into MBB during this same time frame.

Bottom line: Ross does have SLIGHTLY better numbers going into MBB, but I'm not sure if it is enough to really make a difference for me. From my interaction with other consultants it seems like Michigan feeds more into the Chicago/Detroit/New York Offices while Darden tends to place more into the Atlanta/Dallas/Houston offices. I am seeking one of the latter offices, so in that regard I lean towards Darden.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 16:35
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my package through USPS first class (Bay area) and I see a 1/3rd waiver! Pretty pumped.

What a day - Anderson WL (not that it mattered) to India qualifying for world cup cricket finals to this!

Congrats everyone else. Can't wait for August to come.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale School of Management '13
WE 1: 7 years in Software Development

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
Got my letter today, 1/3rd tuition scholarship here as well! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
forsports wrote:
Gryphon wrote:
Walker Square is a place that attracts some Darden students although it's farther away and they are technically condos. People bought them as investments and rent them out because they don't live in the area. You would be wise to inquire about a 2 year lease if you go that route.

Is it common for students to drive and park at school? I wasn't able to look at the garage but I know schools like Berkeley and Fuqua are pretty bad with parking.

Also, is August too late to look for apartments? Would hate to do a cross-country trip for housing.

Thanks for the help!

Here's the deal: I'm not a Darden student or even applicant. I plan to apply this fall. That said, I am stationed in Charlottesville for the military. When I got orders to come here I arrived in March 09 and found it hard to find a place. It's a college town. Leases follow the college school year. YES, AUGUST IS WAY TOO LATE. If you wait till August you will be towing a U-Haul around town looking for a place to live instead of getting situated in order to hit the ground running whenever school starts. When I got back from Afghanistan in Fall 10 I needed to look for a new place (I let go of my place at Jefferson Ridge while deployed) and it was tough. When I inquired about leases people thought I was inquiring about Fall 2011. That's how far out a lot of places are booking people. Ivy Gardens and UHeights are different because their average resident is Darden or Law School so they fill up later this spring. Here's my unscientific breakdown of places I know about in Cville.

1. Ivy Gardens. Best place to be because that's where a plurality, if not majority, of Darden students live. This is where you're learning group will usually meet. Martha Stewart would be appalled at the 70's interiors, but whatever. You can walk two minutes to class and the gym facilities.
2. UHeights. On the opposite side of Ivy so you might have to jump in the car to get to class, but it's still just about 3 minutes. These are a little shabbier IMO. I looked at them when I got back and was not impressed.
3. Jefferson Ridge. Pricier and about a 7 minute drive to Darden, but rather nice. A lot is included in the base price (cable, internet, water). These are rather new. There isn't much around Jeff Ridge though.
4. The Woodlands. By far the nicest place in Charlottesville. Basically it's a gated community and is probably ideal for families because they only have 2 bedroom and up. I think they start around $1500/month and go from there. So if money is no object and you have a wife, child, this would be ideal. It's right next to Jeff Ridge on Sunset Ave.
5. Walker Square. I live here now for one simple reason: proximity to restaurants. Cville isn't exactly Soho, but Walker Square is about half a mile to the Corner and half a mile to the Downtown Mall. Most people here are in residency at the UVA hospital. That said, a modest number of Darden folks live here. The condos are rather nice, but you need to inquire about a 2 year lease so that the owner of the condo doesn't sell it out from underneath you. We have a little network called "Meet The Neighbors" and about half a dozen times since I've lived here people have posted urgent messages saying that they need a place to live because their landlord sold the place and is basically kicking them out. Most landlords will fulfill the terms of the lease and let them stay until the end of the school year, but it's kind of a hassle to be moving all your stuff in advance of going to complete a summer intership. WS is within walking distance of most TNDC locations so that's a nice feature I guess.

There are other places around Cville, but generally speaking you want to stay away from The Corner area on University Ave because that's where the undergrads are. Jefferson Park Ave can be hit or miss, but there's a lot of housing out there too.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 19:06
This post received
KUDOS
FYI- So I spoke with a second year student today who will be working for McKinsey next year. She told me that this year Darden had 21 offers from McKinsey alone (1Y+2Y) and comparable numbers with Bain and BCG. She mentioned that these are the strongest consulting numbers with MBB that Darden has ever seen (and they've seen some good ones).

Exciting stuff for those going into consulting!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
bakfed wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:
FYI- So I spoke with a second year student today who will be working for McKinsey next year. She told me that this year Darden had 21 offers from McKinsey alone (1Y+2Y) and comparable numbers with Bain and BCG. She mentioned that these are the strongest consulting numbers with MBB that Darden has ever seen (and they've seen some good ones).

Exciting stuff for those going into consulting!

That's unbelievable! Thanks for the information.

Would you happen to know the approximate breakdown between internships and fulltime offers?

I'm not sure about Bain/BCG but for McKinsey it was 9FT/12Internships
Historically it appears that B/B have hired more out of Darden than McK
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
n03 wrote:
So did anyone get admitted in R3? Curious.

No call here - got waitlisted. It seems to me that they already have more than enough people enrolling - basing this off of the facebook group. Does anyone know the number?

Also, fellow waitlisters, what kind of communication have you had with admissions?
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 12 May 2011, 10:41