Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 15:49
Is Toefl mandatory for an MBA in Darden? If one can get a waiver then what are the conditions??

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 18:36
Sorry, I know I've been answering several questions as they come and I don't want you to feel like I'm ignoring you - I actually do not know the questions to the recommenders as I've never seen them either.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 22

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 18:37

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 10

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
Sapphire14 wrote:
Has it occured to anyone that there isn't really any space to address the 'Why Darden' and 'Why MBA' questions in the Darden application?

I just realized this, as I was looking over yet another draft of my essays. With the stringent word limits, I am barely able to answer the question asked, let alone mention why I love Darden.

In which part of the application are you showing the love for Darden? Any thoughts?

I spoke with a member of the ADCOM about this. She said "We got tired of reading about how great the case-method was. It was the same response each year. When you come to interview, that's your chance to show off all your Darden knowledge."
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey Folks -

Just wanted to chime in here and offer up some help since Darden is really putting everyone to the test this year. One question? BOLD MOVE. Darden is really forcing applicants to think, to be strategic, and to put their best foot forward. And they're making it harder than most other schools, who offer applicants a few chances to say what they gotta say and show who they are.

So...with all that pressure, what do you? How do you answer? Where do you start?

How about here: http://www.precisionessay.com/2011/08/2 ... nalysis-2/

We dug into the Darden question (deep) and have a few ideas. Hope that's helpful!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 19:09
Quote:
The Round 1 application deadline is October 17, 2011

• If you would like to be considered in Round 1, your application should be submitted by Monday night, October 17th by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
• The application is available online.
Have questions? Participate in an online chat:
• Weekly Wednesday Admissions Chats: If you have a question about the application or admissions process, you can instant message with an admissions committee member on Wednesdays from 12:30-1:00 p.m. (EST). Simply login on a Wednesday at 12:30 p.m.
http://dm.darden.virginia.edu/admission ... ssionschat

• Online Chat with Current Students: If you have any questions about the student experience, the case method, what it’s like to live in Charlottesville and more, login on Wednesday, October 12th from 8:30-9:00 p.m. (EST). Two Second Year students on the Student Admissions Committee will be available to answer your questions.
http://dm.darden.virginia.edu/admission ... 011_Oct_12

Should you apply in Round 1?

If you have started the application process and have given yourself enough time to be reflective and thorough, we recommend that you apply in Round 1. We've seen a larger number of applicants apply in Round 2 instead of Round 1 over the last few years, and as a result, Round 2 has become bigger and slightly more competitive. While we use the same admissions criteria no matter which round you apply in, we encourage applicants to apply in Round 1 if possible, when we have not yet given out any scholarships or offers of admission.

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 08:35
Are there any guidelines for formatting the essays- line spacing etc?

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 37

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpapa wrote:
Are there any guidelines for formatting the essays- line spacing etc?

I do not believe there is any guidelines. What's going to happen is even if you type it out in Word first, when you copy/paste into Simplicity, everything becomes a "wordpad" type of essay. You can go in and put in indentation is you'd like, but single space would certainly be fine (at least that was last year's format). Either way though, it will be the content of the essay(s) that will matter, not the single/double indentation/none.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 17:04
Quote:
In The Economist 2011 ranking of full-time MBA programs, released today, the Darden School has risen to No. 4 in the world, up from No. 11 in 2010. Among North American schools, Darden has risen from No. 7 to No. 3.
Within the criteria, Darden is rated the No. 1 full-time MBA “education experience” in the world. The School is ranked in the Top Five for:
• Opening new career opportunities
• Diversity of recruiters
• Student assessment of career services
• Personal development and educational experience
• Faculty quality
• Alumni effectiveness
• Facilities

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 13:06
Hey all,

Getting ready to submit that app. For some reason the online app will not save the address of the recommender. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes? Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 15:19
fuji wrote:
Hey all,

Getting ready to submit that app. For some reason the online app will not save the address of the recommender. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes? Thanks

Is the address even required? I submitted another app without any of that stuff. Just the Recommenders' names and emails.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 21:09
MSDHONI wrote:
Is Toefl mandatory for an MBA in Darden? If one can get a waiver then what are the conditions??

here:

Quote:
English Language Proficiency
Darden’s MBA Program is built upon an immersive learning experience that requires public speaking, group discussion and active class participation. To succeed, students must possess a highly developed proficiency in written and oral English. Darden will accept English testing scores from either The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Use the following guidelines to determine whether or not you need to take one of these exams:

Not Required: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English are not required to take an English language assessment test (i.e., they are exempt).
Required: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English are required to take an English language assessment test.
Strongly Recommended: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English, but received a master's or PhD degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English, are strongly encouraged to take an English language assessment test.
Darden does not have a minimum score requirement, but the average TOEFL is 106. TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date.

Candidates who are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS must have received at least their unofficial scores prior to submitting their application. Both overall and component test scores must be reported on the application form. All applicants must request that ETS (for the TOEFL) and/or IELTS send official copies of their scores to Darden. The Darden School of Business code for TOEFL is 5820 Dept. 02 and the code for IELTS is 5099. To obtain information about these tests, visit www.toefl.org or www.ielts.org.

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 06:10
Ya..Got it on Darden's website..Thanks for your help though...
gmatpapa wrote:
MSDHONI wrote:

here:

Quote:
English Language Proficiency
Darden’s MBA Program is built upon an immersive learning experience that requires public speaking, group discussion and active class participation. To succeed, students must possess a highly developed proficiency in written and oral English. Darden will accept English testing scores from either The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Use the following guidelines to determine whether or not you need to take one of these exams:

Not Required: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English are not required to take an English language assessment test (i.e., they are exempt).
Required: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English are required to take an English language assessment test.
Strongly Recommended: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English, but received a master's or PhD degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English, are strongly encouraged to take an English language assessment test.
Darden does not have a minimum score requirement, but the average TOEFL is 106. TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date.

Candidates who are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS must have received at least their unofficial scores prior to submitting their application. Both overall and component test scores must be reported on the application form. All applicants must request that ETS (for the TOEFL) and/or IELTS send official copies of their scores to Darden. The Darden School of Business code for TOEFL is 5820 Dept. 02 and the code for IELTS is 5099. To obtain information about these tests, visit http://www.toefl.org or http://www.ielts.org.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 06:20
Submitted my application today..I am done with all planned R1 applications for these year..Now, it is time to sit on the reclining chair & sip STELLA ARTOIS 8-) ..

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 08:12
For those whose managers have posted recommendations...do you see a "Recommendation submitted" next to your manager's name?

My manager had submitted her recommendation, and in my application, I still see a "Recommendation not yet submitted". With the deadline on Monday, I am a little worried. Can someone confirm what you're seeing in your application?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 08:26
Yep, this is what it says:
Bob Smith: Recommendation submitted on 2011-10-11 at 17:35:21

Best of luck
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 08:43
My application is showing the status of recommendations like this

You might want to talk with your recommender...

mrdarden wrote:
For those whose managers have posted recommendations...do you see a "Recommendation submitted" next to your manager's name?

My manager had submitted her recommendation, and in my application, I still see a "Recommendation not yet submitted". With the deadline on Monday, I am a little worried. Can someone confirm what you're seeing in your application?

Last edited by MSDHONI on 15 Oct 2011, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 08:52
@MSDHONI, no image visible.

@LionsSBC12, thanks.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 08:54
Sorry there was some glitch..It's fixed now..

mrdarden wrote:
@MSDHONI, no image visible.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 09:04
Out of curiosity...

Is anyone attending Discover Darden event???

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2011, 09:04