Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
I can certainly feel for you guys having been in the same boat just a couple days ago. As soon as I stopped looking at email and just accepted that they weren't going to ask me to interview, I got the request. That's probably not much consolation though.

I actually live in Charlottesville and part of me thought Well, they're just making me wait because they know I don't have to make travel arrangements to get to campus. To a certain extent, international candidates are in a similar position. ADCOM can wait toward the end and send out a skype interview request knowing that you're not going to travel to campus. At least, that's how I would rationalize it to myself.

I went through a period of enormous frustration where I got really upset. I kept thinking, If they'd given me more than one essay and two short response prompts I could have at least shown off my Darden-specific knowledge. Are they just turning this into a stats contest? This might be the only time in life I've asked for a chance to write more :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 18

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
jsundare wrote:
You probably think from what you've read so far that it was going well so far and why I said the experience was offbeat in the beginning. Here's why. Talking about your entire life experience in 40 minutes, we definitely covered a lot of breadth, but not depth. I feel if someone was to go ask her if she got a real sense for who I was - I'm not sure she would be able to give them a proper response. The interview was so unstructured that it makes me uncomfortable .. Can anyone relate to what I feel?

I agree and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing; perhaps it's just the nature of the Darden interview. I felt that other interviewers gained a better understanding of how I've operated in various challenging scenarios, but didn't get as good of an understanding of who I am. The Darden interviewer, however, got a very good understanding of my story and how/why I'm seeking an MBA at Darden right now. I think they're just different approaches and one is not necessarily better or worse than the other.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 206 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 18:17
This post received
KUDOS
jwfutrell wrote:
Does anyone know how they review apps? What order? I submitted at the 11th hour, so I guess I can hope for an interview still for that. I applied early action to Fuqua and was waitlisted yesterday :( I didn't think I would not even get invited to the dance at Darden, wasn't necessarily expecting an admit, but at least an interview. Oh well...

Honestly, top b-school admissions is just a crapshoot for most people. You can be the cream of the crop but still not get invited. There's nothing wrong with the applicant, but it's just that luck plays a factor in it as well. There's no particular order as to how apps are reviewed and there's really no need to do the guesswork. They may have gotten to your already but decided to wait and see. They may still be reading apps. Either way will get you nowhere right now. I know it's hard to relax at this point, but just try your best to get your mind onto something else.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 22

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
About the scholarship results... The financial aid director stated that they would be snail mailed on decision day. So, hopefully by the end of this week? He said they wouldn't post them online. Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 18

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
washingtondc627 wrote:
Moot point I guess... who am I kidding? White male in finance with median scores and stats = no hope for scholarships... Womp womp...

Hell, I'd be surprised if they even let you in!

Just kidding, congrats on the Tuck admit!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
Definitely seems to be the end of the road for anyone who's not heard so far..I have counted 18 admits so far -

crazypuppet
gpb14
washingtondc627
jsundare
jwillivt
Sapphire14
manishkris
gl
trailblazer69
reapplyN2011
LionsSBC12
Gryphon
LetsGoTigers
gettinggoing
Dc110
mpg2011
GeneralHans
msully74

That's 18 admits out of 38 who interviewed out of the total 82 that applied in R1. I know that the stats aren't exactly accurate but the overall % seems to fit in with last year's results. Last year a total of 50 GC members were admitted out of a total of 178 that applied making the admit % a cool 28%. For R1 at present we stand at approx 22%. We might just hear a few admits tomorrow but seems unlikely to me..I'll be of course be happy to be proven wrong!!

Well, nevermind! Congratulations once again to all admits & all the best to all those waiting patiently!

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 16:26
This post received
KUDOS
Nessy26X wrote:
Do those numbers include Consortium applicants to Darden?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Yep...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
Waitlisted! Congratulations to everybody who got in! Enjoy!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
First, @bigfish - just wanted to reiterate that Darden evaluates all its applicants on a holistic basis that includes a whole host of variables. The school knows that an individual is not just comprised of numbers, so it looks beyond that in terms of its evaluation.

On the other question regarding min and max GPAs - they are asking for min and max in regards to your university's grading system. Since Darden sees a number of applicants from schools all over the world a number of different grading systems, it asks for a range for context. Hope that helps!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 21

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 16:50
This post received
KUDOS
That's what I am using it for. Just a note to tell why I am not taking recommendation from my current work.

Politico2012 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just want to sure that the "Additional Comments" box in the "Declarations" section of the app is intended to be Darden's optional essay. Is this correct?

Thank you!
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 206 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
yamanjain wrote:
Hi bakfed,
Thanks for all the help till now.. Generally how much is the gap between interview notification and actual interview? Also, any tips on how to start preparing for the interview, now..

I can guarantee you that there's no set time between interview notification and actual interview. What will happen is when you are notified to interview, you will log onto simplicity and choose an available date. Sometime there may be 2 dates, sometimes 4 dates, depending on situations (I made up the numbers of date). The dates could be as fast as next week, or a week before result comes out. So there's no set time for it.

In terms of preparing for Darden interview, Darden chooses to utilize more of a conversation than a Q&A interview. The famous "Tell me about yourself" question is still a good way to start prepping for your interview. Make sure you understand your life (as weird as that sounds) and can explain it succintly. So a good way to practice is to start jotting down what you think are important events in your life and start thinking about how you can elaborate on it. Questions such as why you chose a certain college or a certain degree are all fair game. Another thing is to really understand your resume. Make sure you are able to speak of your resume pretty confidently. Obviously, if it's something you did or accomplished, it should be easy to speak of it. Lastly, have a few good questions in mind. At the end, chances are your interviewer will ask if you have any questions. This is your time to ask any lingering questions that you may have about Darden, the school itself, the program, etc. Granted the questions should require more thinking than just a web-search on Darden's site. (Example of a bad question: how long is the program) Those are some major points that I would recommend.

An example of my interview (or my recollection of it): I sat down and chit-chatted for a brief minute about the day, the plane ride, and such. Then the interviewer asked me "tell me about yourself". So I started from what I believe is important and that is the beginning of my college years. Throughout my conversation with her, she probed for more information when she wishes to understand a bit more. Before I knew it, it was done. But that's only because I've practiced how I would like to discuss about my life.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
Darden wrote:
What do you mean by "informed"? If you mean - ways in which you could strengthen your application, just think of it this way: the school looks for initiative and persistence, it wants you to come up with creative ideas. If you mean, dates in which they will inform you next, well, I think there are many possibilities so they can't commit. Even if other schools give you dates they can still keep you on the waitlist on the notification date and just give you another date... And I'm pretty sure no school gives a feedback while one is waitlisted. Bottom line, a lot of uncertainty but try to keep motivated, the list in Darden is usually small!

Wharton sets a firm date of March 30th (which is reasonable) of when they will decide on your application, up or down. They also send updates every two weeks on where they are in the process and when students will expect to hear their fate. The also explicitly tell you NOT to submit anything else, do NOT reach out, etc. I wish Darden didn't just leave waitlisters twisting in the wind to wait until (possibly) July. Even a simple e-mail stating, we've begun reviewing waitlist applicants, would help. Is that too much to ask? Also, there are schools out there that include as part of their waitlist policy, 'if there is some change or something in your candidacy we should know about please inform us'.

Finally, and I failed to mention this before, I applied via the Consortium and to do date I don't know of a single Consortium candidate that was granted admission in Round One. I may be wrong, but the general sentiment was that we all got waitlisted so Darden could see what would come along in Round Two. If this proves to be true I think it's tough to argue against the fact it's a bit disingenuous, especially for those of us who were excited by the prospect of Darden as a potential school.

I'm not trying to argue and I think you provide a valid point about persistence but I'm asking for a simple communication that would take all of 15 minutes to draft a bulk e-mail. Again, I ask, is that too much to ask?

Some emails with updates do get sent out once in a while. Sometimes they narrow down the list and update what's going on etc. I'm on the student Admissions Committee so I'll pass the feedback along. In the meantime if someone wants to talk one on one about his/her specific situation you can send me a private message and I'll send my number. Good luck!

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 4

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
I just visited the school last week. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, stay at the Darden Inn ($86 per night + taxes for people interviewing). It's a 5 minute walk from the building where interviews are held. I took a cab from the airport to the school and it was $24 (not including tip).

I also walked from the school to the main campus and the Downtown Mall (long walk) but the CAT (Bus #7) is a good alternative ($0.75 fare in exact change).

PM me if you have specific questions. Good Luck!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks guys for the quick replies! Hope we get calls soon :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
I went there for an interview. I applied in R1 but I was on the tail end of the R1 interview invites and couldn't fly out in December due to work obligations.

The interview itself was fairly relaxed. The Darden interview is conversational and fairly low pressure. They ask for your life's story, starting with wherever you prefer to start, through schooling, through personal and professional experiences, and ending with why you want to want to get an MBA at Darden.

It lasted a little less than an hour with followup questions. After the interview, a 2nd year MBA student took us (there was another guy interviewing at the same time) for a tour and lunch at the cafeteria. After the tour, we sat down with an unplanned chat with someone from the Financial Aid office and discussed options for financing the MBA (loans and scholarships).

Total time was a little less than 3 hours.

Sights to see when in town:

1) The Rotunda (IIRC, the original building of UVA)
2) The Downtown Mall (Kind of a neat little mall)
3) Monticello (short drive outside of the city)

Food: There is a wood-fired pizza joint not too far from the school and not too far from the closest CAT bus stop. Didn't get a chance to visit any other places.

mn2010 wrote:
Hey jassiinpublic

thanks for the info. Did you go there to interview or just to visit ?

If for interview, did u apply in R2 and can u please share yr i/v experience ?

Thanks
Mn
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V50
GPA: 3.76
WE: Science (Other)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 4

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 17:06
This post received
KUDOS
Consulting2Finance wrote:
spacecurves wrote:
I'm going to fly right to Charlottsville myself, it is cheap from Boston so there's no reason not to. I'm also planning to stay at the hotel on Campus. My interview is scheduled for Feb 13th, I'm planning to do a class visit, lunch, tour and whole nine yards while I'm there. I'm looking forward to it!

Yeah upon further review, I'm going to fly there as well. I'd like to do a similar grand tour of campus. For what time did you schedule your interview? It looks like class visits are available in the morning, but I cannot find times for campus tours. I may call admissions tomorrow to see what time they suggest I schedule the interview if I want to take a tour and class visit.

Somewhere it says that the tours are all after lunch, like around 1:30 I think. I scheduled my class visit from 8-9:30 and interview from 10-11. I think that will allow me to get from the class to the interview easily, and then I can do the lunch and tour afterwards. So hopefully I can get the entire visit experience into one day!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
CONGRATS on those with interview invites! We look forward to inviting you to Charlottesville.

I'm an officer of the Darden Education Club and just wanted to note we have lots of former teachers here at Darden. We are actually hosting a conference next week in conjunction with the Net Impact and Business & Public Policy Clubs where two of the panels will be education-focused. If your're in town for your interview, please do stop by! It's open to the public.

Regarding waitlist candidates- I know it can seem like a tough process but please know we regularly monitor our waitlist on a regular basis. Here is a blogpost from one of our admissions officers that can hopefully shed some light on the process:

http://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admiss ... -waitlist/

As others have said before me, please do update the admissions office on any job promotions or significant projects, new test scores, and extracurricular achievements. You can submit updates to darden@virginia.edu.

Good luck to all!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 15:28
This post received
KUDOS
LionsSBC12 wrote:
krzt wrote:
For R1 applicants/current students:
Is the class visit pretty helpful/insightful? I'd really love to schedule a class visit, but I'm incredibly pressed for time the day of my interview. I have grad class in northern VA that night, so I'm going to have to book it back. I'm more than willing to take a hit with my grad school professor if the Darden class visit is worthwhile, but I wanted to get your thoughts first!

I didn't think it was that important until I visited other schools and saw the contrast.
I don't think you can make an informed decision about attending Darden without having sat through a class.

Indeed. Nothing is better than seeing the place with your own eyes and experiencing the case method discussion firsthand. I remember that when I got to Darden last year (I visited 4 schools I applied to) I immediately felt the "x-factor", something that told me I belonged there.
About the class visit, I hosted two visitors this week. Both were impressed by the class discussion, the good atmosphere and the professional faculty.
Here's one note I got afterwords:
Quote:
and to tell you how much I enjoyed my visit at Darden. The class visit and the school tour were amazing and I can honestly say that from what I have seen - the Darden vibe is the best I experienced so far.

You'll be able to reach out to faculty and ask to meet you, or reach out to career/social clubs' officers and learn more about their activities.
Bottom line, it's a big decision, you put a lot of money and two years of your life - you'd better make the right, informed decision.
Plus you'll have the option to have free lunch with current students :lol:

Good luck!

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 06:01
This post received
KUDOS
I walked past the Greyhound station on my walk from Darden to the downtown mall. If you take the Greyhound, look up the local transit routes (the CAT and the UVA bus service). I think the CAT #7 bus is your best bet, I don't know about the UVA routes. You may be able to save money on a taxi if you have time.

dccubsfan wrote:
ajayiitr wrote:
I need some ideas on transportation to the campus. I am flying to IAD (Dulles airport). Rental cars are darn costly. Has anyone used Amtrak or Greyhound as a connection from this airport to the campus? Looks like stations are very close to the campus (3 miles). Am just concerned on getting from airport to catch train or bus. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of any transportation directly from Dulles to C'ville; but if you're looking to get into DC to catch either the bus or train down there, there is a Metro bus (fare is $5 or $6) that runs about every 40 mins from the airport (picks up right outside the airport) into Rosslyn or DC (L'enfant Plaza) where you can catch the subway to Union Station for the Amtrak or Greyhound. To my knowledge thats the cheapest way from that airport.
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2012, 06:01