Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
csk2010 wrote:
Any international applicants in US received calls so far?

I received mine on the 23rd.

Canadian in New England
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 4

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
csk2010 wrote:
any invites today?starting to lose hope slowly..past the 1 month mark now..

The way I see it, its only half of February, still another half to go :)
Keep the faith, my friend! Many of us are in the same boat too.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V50
GPA: 3.76
WE: Science (Other)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 4

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
I did my interview yesterday on the Darden campus. I flew down on Sunday, stayed in the Darden inn, and then did the class visit, interview lunch etc. all day Monday. The interview was exactly as described here and on various wikis. We walked in, did a little small talk, then she asked me "I want to learn more about you, tell me your story." And I launched into my monologue telling my life story, starting with where I grew up and ending with why Darden. It actually didn't end up being a monologue at all, more of a discussion, because she jumped in frequently with questions and comments. My interviewer was on the admissions committee, which I was happy for. All in all I think the interview went really well.

I visited a class early in the morning before my interview, and that was a very interesting experience. After being walked over to the classroom by a current student, she says "Oh yeah and by the way, this section likes to greet prospective students in an interesting way, good luck!" With that the class looks at me, and asks me to stand up and introduce myself. So I do that, describe where I'm from and what I do. Then a guy says "Ok we have a question for you, if you were stranded in the Massachusetts wilderness, and had to eat only what you could kill, what is the biggest animal you could kill with your bare hands?" My response was coyote. Cuz I could totally take a coyote, but after that the only real choice is deer, wolf or bear, and I didn't want to be the douschebag who claims he can kill a bear with his bare hands.

I was blown away by Darden in every way. I really hope I get good news in March.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
I definitely want to echo everything spacecurves said. It was such a great experience just getting to visit. BTW, my class visit "ice breaker" was that I had 30 seconds to pick a random person in the section and draw him/her on the chalkboard. Everyone had to guess who I drew. Great way to introduce my lack of art skills to the class of 2013. :P

My school profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1047766

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 58

Premium Member
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
spacecurves wrote:
krzt wrote:
I definitely want to echo everything spacecurves said. It was such a great experience just getting to visit. BTW, my class visit "ice breaker" was that I had 30 seconds to pick a random person in the section and draw him/her on the chalkboard. Everyone had to guess who I drew. Great way to introduce my lack of art skills to the class of 2013. :P

Hahaha oh that is great! Wow I'm glad I just had to rank my hand to hand combat skills, my artistic ability stops at stick figures!

I was also there. I had to draw, which is good because I'm pretty sure the largest creature I could kill with my bare hands is a bunny rabbit.

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 1

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
I want Darden to be my valentine.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 16:23
This post received
KUDOS
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
spacecurves wrote:
krzt wrote:

Hahaha oh that is great! Wow I'm glad I just had to rank my hand to hand combat skills, my artistic ability stops at stick figures!

I was also there. I had to draw, which is good because I'm pretty sure the largest creature I could kill with my bare hands is a bunny rabbit.

Our section does the drawing thing. We rock!

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 22:24
This post received
KUDOS
gablaze23 wrote:
Gryphon wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:
If I have my interview on campus at 3PM, do you all think it's safe to book a flight at 9PM the same day leaving Dulles Airport? I have enough time, right?

If you leave Charlottesville by 5:00 PM you should be fine. Realistically, you could probably leave a little later, but you don't want to push it. There's a modest amount of traffic getting out of Cville, but it thins out after Ruckersville. From there, it's pretty clear sailing until you hit Gainesville where you connect with I-64, which leads you toward Dulles. Once on 64, you're going toward DC instead of out of it so it's a reverse commute that isn't all that bad. Of course, all it takes is a couple of wrecks and then it slows to a glacial pace. You just need to factor in that you're dropping a car. Security at Dulles isn't that bad, but could be better.

Follow up question: On the way to Charlottesville, are there any toll fees and whatnot?

When you rent a car they always ask whether you want the e-toll gadget. I know some highways/roads in the US do not have toll booths all together and require these gadgets. Please don't think I am a control freak, it's just that I paid almost $300 in toll fee penalties last December for not knowing this.

I drove from IAD and there were no toll roads.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
I am a member of the Darden Student Admissions committee and have spoken with the Admissions Office. For those of you who have received offers to interview for one of Darden’ executive-format programs, this is NOT the “standard ding letter.” The Admissions Committee is impressed by your application, but sees a stronger fit for you with one of the exec MBA programs. While many people tend to think EMBA programs are only for “senior” managers and professionals, there is actually quite a range and the preferred minimum is only 7 years post-undergraduate.

Just for a quick overview, Darden’s EMBA and Global EMBA programs are not easier, part-time programs. While they do allow students to continue working while earning their MBA, they require significant time outside of work through distance learning (usually 15-20 hours per week), as well as in-person residencies with live classroom discussions and opportunities to build community. The MBA for Executives includes weekend residencies about once a month and 4 one-week residencies throughout the program, and the Global MBA for Executives includes six 2-week residencies in China, Brazil, India, Europe and the U.S. They cover the same core curriculum as the full-time MBA program, are taught by the same faculty, use the same case method of instruction, are offered the same career/recruiting resources, and, most important, result in the same MBA degree.

For more specific information, I would encourage you to visit the Darden website and then reach out to the Admissions team directly
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi DardenSYStudent,

Thank you for being proactive and verifying with the Admissions Committee on our behalf.

I'm honored that they are impressed by my record and believe my profile to be a better fit for the EMBA program. I did not see an offer for an interview for the FT program so if one is not interested in that, I'm guessing it is a "ding" for the FT program. Am I wrong?

Thanks again.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
mb29275 wrote:
Anyone still waiting for an interview invite, or is it only me? Despite Darden saying it sends out interview invites until the decision release date, I'm assuming I can be expecting a ding relatively soon? Thoughts would be much appreciated.

In the Facebook group, there were a few who were waiting. I am pretty sure there will be more invites. Hold on... All the very best!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
MaizePerro wrote:
No invites on here since Feb 20? Is this thing over? Is a ding email inevitable on Mar 28 at this point?

Im not gonna say be optimistic, but there was an invitation reported in the BTG yesterday.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 37

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
gablaze23 wrote:
Is there anyone else not done with their interview?

I am scheduled to interview on Monday, and I was wondering whether Darden is still conducting a lot of interviews at this point in time. Hopefully, scheduling my interview at a later time doesn't put my app into a disadvantage.

Interviewing at a later time does not put you at a disadvantage. Case in point - I interviewed on a Friday, which is the last day of interview (decision comes out the Wednesday after). I got accepted, so I'd say the date of interview has no bearing on your candidacy.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
LionsSBC12 wrote:
DardenFY wrote:
Tests not a test :wink:
What exactly would you like to know about it?
There are 3 - Math, Accounting and Excel. There's a module for each before the exam.

Am I going to be placed in remedial classes based on my test scores?
Or are these used for other purposes...like assigning learning teams and recommending pre-matriculation courses?

There's no such thing as remedial classes at Darden. Everyone takes the same courses throughout the first-year (well, 95% of it). You have the option of taking what's called "pre-matriculation courses" to brush your memory, but other than that, everyone starts with the same courses.

The pre-matriculation modules and some tests are just to make sure that you have enough "juice" after working in the corporate environment. They're not used to assign LT, but you should use the test score to gauge whether you should take the pre-matriculation courses. For example, if you barely pass the accounting exam (and that during the exam you had to go back several times to the module to look up information), it's probably a good sign that you may benefit from the pre-matriculation course (this is just an example; your test score is not directly indicative of a course, but just use your best judgment). You will not be penalize by barely passing the exam and forgoing the opportunity to take the pre-matriculation course.

DardenFY, correct me if I'm wrong cuz my memory is a bit vague on this topic now.

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 123

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
vsetia wrote:
Had my interview with an alum in Delhi. Have to say it was a good experience. I actually came out of the interview more convinced that I want to go to Darden! :D

Fingers crossed now...does anyone know when the results start pouring out?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Darden+MBA+deadline

:)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Politico2012 wrote:
For those who have interviewed, I was wondering if you had received a response to your "thank you" note from your interviewer. I didn't get one and was wondering if I should take that as a sign.

Thanks!

No response for me as well.
Don't try to read too much into it.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
I got a reply from her but it could only be because she was free when she read the mail. I remember someone post here that they didn't receive a response and got an admit. Maybe I got a ding and she sympathized with me :?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
I didn't get a reply last year. Do NOT read anything into it, it means nothing.

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
fs007 wrote:
It appears that based on the thread count, the interest in Darden this year is significantly lower than it was last year??? This thread is just at 45 pages now whereas at this time last year the count was approaching 70. Is it that people are staying away from the forums or focusing on other schools this year? I'd love to hear what you guys think..

I think its just less people are active on this thread. Maybe more lurkers are people are not asking the same question 20 times this year. I do not think less pages equates directly to less interest and thus less applicants
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
gmatmba1 wrote:
Can you describe a typical day for a FY and for a SY Darden student?

Will there be time for me to go home between classes and learning team meeting?
How do SY students have more flexible schedule? Is it less classes they take? or??

A typical day for a FY and SY differ a lot. For FY, you have classes from 8 to 1:10, Monday through Thursday. Then in the afternoon, students typically do recruiting stuff and reading cases. At 7pm, you join your learning team and crank out the cases for next day. It's an extremely hectic way to live, but it's also very fun. Second years don't have the stringent 8 to 1:10 schedule because they get to pick their own classes, which operate at different times. Through a first-year's eyes, second-years have more free time on their hands, but this is very subjective. Second-years are also the people running the school, so a lot falls on their shoulders. I do not believe the classload is much different but they don't have learning team at night.

In terms of going home between classes, don't count on that for first-year since you pretty much classes back to back from 8 to 1:10. Good news is at 1:10, you're pretty much done with "mandatory" classes. Learning teams don't meet until 7pm (that's how it starts off and some teams do change their meeting time, but that's up to you and your team), so yes, you do get to go home between 1:10pm and 7pm. However, keep in mind that there are also a lot of company briefings and career sessions that run in the afternoon, for which they will force you to stay on campus for some time.

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2012, 12:37