Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
Good to know about the grading stuff. I'm a bit shy in large groups, but I guess I'm going to have to amp it up for class :).

How do you generally spend your weekends? Is it a lot of prepping for the next week or do you get a good amount of personal down time and time to socialize? And if classes go through Thursday, is Friday usually filled with career oriented stuff?

My school profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1047766

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 58

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
Consulting2Finance wrote:
Bally wrote:
anyone get any scholarship love from darden?
there's a businessweek article ("Full-Tuition Fellowships from Top B-Schools") that says that almost 20% get a full ride. is this correct?

Darden showed me some love, but not a full ride. When I interviewed I was told about a third of people get scholarships and of these about a third are full rides.

Other sources of full tuition reimbursement may be through the Consortium as well as the GI Bill, which if I'm not mistaken fully covers MBA tuition at state schools. Others are likely better equipped to speak to that, however.

I likewise got a not-full-ride scholarship. It's the only of my admits to offer, so it certainly complicates my decision!

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
Veranna wrote:
Hi bakfed, I've another small question for you (I'm sorry if it's stupid). In facebook group, a lot of SY students are selling their furniture etc. I would prefer to get some things from SY students than shipping it half the way across the country.
I understand that entire class of 2012 must be planning to leave by June, but I'm (or most of class 2014) not moving to C'ville mid or late-July. So, how can anyone buy this stuff even if one is interested..?

That's a great question (not a stupid one) and the answer is really it depends. Understand that some folks may be out in May, while others may be in June or even July (depending on when they signed their annual lease), so it really is case by case. But you're right in that it does become a bit harder logistically and I would personally recommend you to reach out to the second-years who've posted (with items that are in your interest) and see if you guys can work something out. If yes, great; if not, at least you've tried.

And sorry if my answer isn't satisfactorily. Another recommendation would be to see who you know is close by (or close enough to Charlottesville) who can store these items temporarily until you arrive. Honestly, if it's something that's not too big, I'll be more than happy to store it for you, but from what you're asking, I'm guessing you're probably referring to the big-ticketed items, such as bed and sofa, in which case I probably can't simply because I lack the mode of transportation to move them.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
Veranna wrote:
bakfed wrote:
Veranna wrote:
Hi bakfed, I've another small question for you (I'm sorry if it's stupid). In facebook group, a lot of SY students are selling their furniture etc. I would prefer to get some things from SY students than shipping it half the way across the country.
I understand that entire class of 2012 must be planning to leave by June, but I'm (or most of class 2014) not moving to C'ville mid or late-July. So, how can anyone buy this stuff even if one is interested..?

That's a great question (not a stupid one) and the answer is really it depends. Understand that some folks may be out in May, while others may be in June or even July (depending on when they signed their annual lease), so it really is case by case. But you're right in that it does become a bit harder logistically and I would personally recommend you to reach out to the second-years who've posted (with items that are in your interest) and see if you guys can work something out. If yes, great; if not, at least you've tried.

And sorry if my answer isn't satisfactorily. Another recommendation would be to see who you know is close by (or close enough to Charlottesville) who can store these items temporarily until you arrive. Honestly, if it's something that's not too big, I'll be more than happy to store it for you, but from what you're asking, I'm guessing you're probably referring to the big-ticketed items, such as bed and sofa, in which case I probably can't simply because I lack the mode of transportation to move them.

bakfed, thank you so much, that's so nice of you to offer! But you're right, I'm interested in study desk, book shelves and such. Bulky things which would be cheaper to get in VA than having them moved from NE.

About moving, what is the best time to get to C'ville. I've noticed some networking events are scheduled in mid-July. Would last week of July or early August be too late..?

You'll totally be fine by last week of July or early August. Obviously, the later you get to Charlottesville, the less time you'll have to finalize everything. But you really don't need more than a week to finalize everything. I personally arrived at Charlottesville early August and I was able to get up and running before pre-matriculation courses started.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross '14 (S)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 02:03
Thanks for starting this Jimmy. Darden is an excellent school. I am in for R1.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 03:26
In for R1.

Does anyone feel like the essay is more like an essay question on the mid-term exam for some international business course? Moreso than an application essay?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 03:50
Should we start another thread for analysis of this question?
I'm curious about the degree to which we can/should tie in our own experiences in our analysis of business leadership in an increasingly globalized economy.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.27
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 07:05
Hey all,

I'm still iffy on whether i'll eventually apply to Darden, but I thought it was worth mentioning that I called Darden's admissions office and was told there will be more essay questions later.

That being said, I agree it sounds more like a mid-term essay question than an admissions question. I'm not a huge fan of it.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 07:20
MrTunes wrote:
Hey all,

I'm still iffy on whether i'll eventually apply to Darden, but I thought it was worth mentioning that I called Darden's admissions office and was told there will be more essay questions later.

That being said, I agree it sounds more like a mid-term essay question than an admissions question. I'm not a huge fan of it.

Oh, thats an important update MrTunes, thanks for sharing.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 07:22
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 07:30
I might go for R1 or R2.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Darden Thread Master
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 00:20
Detroiter wrote:
Should we start another thread for analysis of this question?
I'm curious about the degree to which we can/should tie in our own experiences in our analysis of business leadership in an increasingly globalized economy.

I feel there should be a personal connection to the perspectives as we are asked for OUR perspectives on leadership... but the second part- linking globalization to a leadership perspective is the true depth of the question.
There are so many ways to look at the scenario... My Questions are :
- Should we be looking at leadership at workplace from firms top management`s view
or the leadership at my level of work execution
- the effect of globalization on the firm which indirectly affects me OR the direct influence of globalization on my views?

---
Jimmy

Life`s battles dont always go,
To the stronger or faster man;
But sooner or later the man who wins,
Is the man who THINKS HE CAN .

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Darden Thread Master

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 00:43
MrTunes wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks a lot for the input MrTunes -
The essay question is well in tune with Dardens Tag line "The Darden School of Business improves society by developing principled leaders for the world of practical affairs" :idea:

---
Jimmy

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 08:50

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 02:14
COUNT ME IN FOR R1.

MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP... I WILL NOT SLEEP.

Darden Thread Master

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 07:11
Anyone done with a draft of the first essay :?: :?: :?: 500 hundred words cant do justice to my perspective... its been two weeks and i am still not ready with a draft.And right when i start with the essays i get overloaded with work.. its like a variation of Murphy`s law.. as if life wasn`t already tough :cry:

---
Jimmy

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 09:29
count me in for round 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 74

CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 07:17
R1, I'm in!

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Darden Thread Master

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 01:35
Hi Everyone... I am sure you have been through the new Roll Call with comparative stats. Please update yourself on the roll call with the auto update ADD YOUR PROFILE TO THIS LIST option on the first post.

Also if you find any links to essay analysis of Darden 2012 please PM.

---
Jimmy

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 12:34
In for R2, R1 if i can get everything done in time
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2012 Applicants !!!   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2011, 12:34