Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
bakfed wrote:
Hey folks, i can't believe it's already been a year since I've applied (well, almost a year). Anyway, I will be with the Darden class of 2013 and if I can be of any help, do let me know. Good luck, everyone!

Hey Bakfed, have read a lot of your posts. Thanks for joining in on the thread. I am sure all the 2012 applicants will have a lot to ask. When will you be starting school at darden? I have a lot of questions about the school , will make a list and post it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAIsrael wrote:
bakfed wrote:
Hey folks, i can't believe it's already been a year since I've applied (well, almost a year). Anyway, I will be with the Darden class of 2013 and if I can be of any help, do let me know. Good luck, everyone!

Bakfed,
I think it's time for a Darden Avatar :)
I'll be glad to help too in the next couple of months, good luck guys!

Thanks for joining in MBAIsrael, were you an international applicant? i mean were you in the US when you applied.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
jimmy86 wrote:
bakfed wrote:

Hey Bakfed, have read a lot of your posts. Thanks for joining in on the thread. I am sure all the 2012 applicants will have a lot to ask. When will you be starting school at darden? I have a lot of questions about the school , will make a list and post it.

Orientation starts on August 15th, with actual classes start on the 22nd. But most students will be there by beginning of August to settle down, as well as take some pre-matriculation courses. Feel free to post the questions directly on the thread. I will put in my own perspective of things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate
Send PM
jimmy86 wrote:
MBAIsrael wrote:
bakfed wrote:

Bakfed,
I think it's time for a Darden Avatar :)
I'll be glad to help too in the next couple of months, good luck guys!

Thanks for joining in MBAIsrael, were you an international applicant? i mean were you in the US when you applied.

Yep, international applicant.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi bakfed and MBAIsrael,

It has been a while since i am working on the essays for R1 and doesnt seem that i am getting the right direction, at this rate i feel i`ll be late for the R1 deadlines.
I would be glad if you could answer a few questions
1. In what round and at what time did you start you application process? i mean how many days before the round deadline did u start from scratch.
2. How many other schools did you apply to in R1 and R2?
3. What are the number of iterations in getting the essays reviewed? how much time should i be spending on the process?
4. What is the average time needed to get the recommendations ready for one school?

5. Any Specific advice for Darden Applications?

Waiting for replies from both of you, thanks in advance.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
I will answer your questions in line.

jimmy86 wrote:
Hi bakfed and MBAIsrael,

It has been a while since i am working on the essays for R1 and doesnt seem that i am getting the right direction, at this rate i feel i`ll be late for the R1 deadlines.
I would be glad if you could answer a few questions
1. In what round and at what time did you start you application process? i mean how many days before the round deadline did u start from scratch. I started my application process for Darden roughly 1.5 - 2 months before. I forgot exactly when, but I remember that as soon as I can "start an application" for Darden, I started going through the easy stuff - personal information and such. I started way earlier than most (probably) because I was targeting a number of schools, which lead into my answer to question 2.
2. How many other schools did you apply to in R1 and R2? I applied to 5 schools for round 1, including Darden (I excluded Columbia's ED from the "5" because Columbia's application was opened way earlier and I had garnered a response before I started work on any other application). My round 2 had 3 applications.
3. What are the number of iterations in getting the essays reviewed? how much time should i be spending on the process? I think this is really just a trial and error type of deal. I can't say the number of iterations, per se, but I can say that I've scratched an entire essay and started anew for Darden. This year, Darden's only asking for one essay, but last year there were 2. One of the essay prompts asked you to describe how a certain event in the last two years had affected your view on leadership (along that line). This essay called for some creativity and I first wanted to talk about the subprime mortgage and the housing bust. Then I realized that all I wanted to do was sound 'smart', and up-to-date. It didn't reflect what I really want to say. Ultimately, I scratched the entire essay and really just put in my own thought and perspective on a certain event that changed my view on leadership. But even then, every time that I go back to my essay, I feel a need to change something. I think this mentality is imbued in most people that by not changing anything, you're admitting that everything's right in your essay, which is impossible. I've changed my essay here and there countless times. While I technically had my application for Darden completed at least a couple of weeks prior to the deadline, I still waited until a couple days before the deadline to submit it. In those two weeks, I had continued tweaking my essay to my liking. Not sure if that actually helped...
4. What is the average time needed to get the recommendations ready for one school? This one is really out of your hands. I would say that if you know who you're going to ask about letters, go ask as soon as possible. Then put in their contact information on your online application for them to submit their letters online. Most people who write these are senior level managers (or even C-suite executives) who are busy. And honestly, even if they're not busy, they'd like to enjoy their off times as well. Between the two recommenders I had, one was always very fast at getting them done and the other one basically will play the clock much like the way that the US government is doing with the debt ceiling. So in my opinion, better ask early than late. Plus, if you ask early, you always get the cushion room to 'remind' them again after a couple of weeks. And of course, don't forget some thank you presents.

5. Any Specific advice for Darden Applications? Darden prides itself on certain aspects - small class (tight-knit community) and superior case methods. For you to be able to identify yourself whether implicitly or explicitly on your application that you can fit in with the rest of the school will definitely be of help. By saying that you prefer lecture-based classes over case methods is a application-suicide to Darden. If you ever get a chance to visit the school, I say go for it. Darden is a lot like Tuck, location-wise (I think Tuck is still worse in location than any other peer school). If you're a big city person, you probably won't enjoy the type of setting that Darden resides in. Also, any and all domestic applicants will have to interview on campus, should an interview be granted. So definitely keep that in mind (I'm sure exceptions can be made, but I haven't heard of any cases).

Waiting for replies from both of you, thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you so much Bakfed. I couldnt have expected a better answer to my questions.

Specially like your response regarding the essays,
I have already scrapped 2 essays because i felt they were not upto the mark. Working on the third one and trying to weave it around a personal experience.

Do you think i will gain advantage applying early before the Round 1 deadline ? cause darden has rolling admissions..

I really wanted to know your motivation/ background and work ex :P ... just to know more about people who are there where i aim to be.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
@bakfed, this is a great post. +1 to you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
All,

Is the online application available to everybody? I only see an executive option on the Darden site. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Bakfed- Thanks a ton for sharing ...really appreciate the help :P ....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Send PM
Count me in for R1... Anyone know when the application goes live?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 4
Send PM
In for round one.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All!!!

Darden has published its schedule for Information Sessions at international locations.
Along with the help of Darden Alumni,Information sessions in India have been setup at Delhi,Mumbai and ... dates are around second/third week of September 2011.

Is anyone visiting? Please update.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Darden has opened their online application. One interesting thing of note is that there are two "mini" essays within the actual application that aren't listed on their website:

1: At Darden, a core part of your academic experience is your participation in and contributions to your learning team. What will you contribute to your team? (150 words maximum)

2: If you were on an elevator with your dream company CEO or angel investor, what would you tell him/her about your professional ambitions and goals? (150 words maximum)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks gpb14, I updated the OP with that information.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jko wrote:
Thanks gpb14, I updated the OP with that information.

Thanks for updating the OP jko.

gpb14-The short questions are really interesting. Opportunity for creative answers. :!:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
gpb14 wrote:
Darden has opened their online application. One interesting thing of note is that there are two "mini" essays within the actual application that aren't listed on their website:

1: At Darden, a core part of your academic experience is your participation in and contributions to your learning team. What will you contribute to your team? (150 words maximum)

2: If you were on an elevator with your dream company CEO or angel investor, what would you tell him/her about your professional ambitions and goals? (150 words maximum)

Ugh 150 words. You REALLY have to be able to 'trim the fat' and only use good and pertinent info in these 'essays' to fit under that count.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts