Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
riverripper wrote:
I am kicking myself I didnt attend a Duke event this fall. It wasnt really on my radar but the more I learned about the school and job market for Mrs. RiverRipper the more it appealed to me as a R2 school. Unfortunately I wont have a chance to visit before the deadlines.

Let this be a lesson to next years applicants go to every info event even if you arent all that interested in a school...it might change your mind.

So true, River! I feel the same way about Yale...
Let me know if I can help with the applications, description of the campus, culture, students, etc. I already applied in R1, so I can tell ya everything :-P

wanna email me all your notes haha. Well at least Yale is close enough that you can call in "sick" to work one day and drive there to visit if you need to. Just say you want to go into non profit in Russia and you will get in...everyone says they love that stuff. Arent you getting into GSB, Ross, Kellogg, and Duke already though? Leave some spots for other people.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi all, thinking about placing a R2 app for Duke. I heard great things about it, good school, tight knit community, great support, friendly, etc.

However, being an international, and wondering how is it for for someone not used to the "south"? Also, how's international placement?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
hi all, thinking about placing a R2 app for Duke. I heard great things about it, good school, tight knit community, great support, friendly, etc.

However, being an international, and wondering how is it for for someone not used to the "south"? Also, how's international placement?

Duke sucks!!!

Just kidding!

Talk to current International students about recruiting in your target career
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:

I'm with Ozamba - I think the recruiting atmosphere everywhere is rough for int'ls. Check things out wherever you go.

re the south: I think I said this above, you're so busy, you barely know where you are. 40% of students are int'l. Loads come from northeast, west coast, midwest. Lots of southern students, of course, but i feel like i'm in a very diverse, int'l, cosmopolitan community. Don't worry about the south - people are nice, weather is fab, food is fun. I bought tomatoes at the farmers market on saturday - it's really fine.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just wondering, why would it be rough for someone who doesn't want to work in the U.S? There are no visa issues right?

Also, for the other top 10 schools, you can place into a international IB/MC job quite easily from what i heard.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
Just wondering, why would it be rough for someone who doesn't want to work in the U.S? There are no visa issues right?

Also, for the other top 10 schools, you can place into a international IB/MC job quite easily from what i heard.

I am sure Aau meant internationals looking for jobs in the U.S.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
aceman626 wrote:

Yes, but that's not what I was asking. I was asking about international placement, not U.S. placement for internationals.

So, does anyone have any idea about international placement for Duke grads? I could ask adcom, but i'm sure they'll just give me a %. I'm lookin for more first-hand anecdotal info, how easy it is to get a top job internationally, how Duke is regarded internationally, etc.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
aceman626 wrote:

Yes, that's what I was referring to. As for replacements abroad, here's the word from a guy at the CMC:

We provide assistance in a number of ways:
* Week in Cities trips to int'l locations like London and Hong Kong
* A full-time counselor dedicated to addressing the needs of international students and those seeking to work internationally
* Access to online databases that provide job postings and job search country guides for the most desired employment locations.
* One-on-one counseling to help a students devise their international job-search strategy
* Some on-campus opportunities for international positions as well.

I would also add that our GATE tripes, which take place over spring break and right after school ends in the spring, also offer opportunities for in'tl networking.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Aau do you know if they are doing their virtual info sessions this year. I noticed last year they did some during November and December but none this year. Since I really focused on Duke late in the game I never got to go to the tour events in other cities.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Aau do you know if they are doing their virtual info sessions this year. I noticed last year they did some during November and December but none this year. Since I really focused on Duke late in the game I never got to go to the tour events in other cities.

No clue. But lemme find out for you.

aau
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
aceman626 wrote:

Yes, that's what I was referring to. As for replacements abroad, here's the word from a guy at the CMC:

* A full-time counselor dedicated to addressing the needs of international students and those seeking to work internationally
* Access to online databases that provide job postings and job search country guides for the most desired employment locations.
* One-on-one counseling to help a students devise their international job-search strategy

I would also add that our GATE tripes, which take place over spring break and right after school ends in the spring, also offer opportunities for in'tl networking.

Cool, thanks! You a current Duke student?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
aceman626 wrote:

Cool, thanks! You a current Duke student?

Yep. I just can't get enough of gmat club.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:

The official word from admissions:

Regarding the virtual info session, I double checked, and we do not have any more scheduled at this time. We may add some in the spring, but if we do, that will be announced in the newsletter and on the Web site.

River, come on down to Durham! I've got two extra bedrooms - you're welcome to crash.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Regarding the virtual info session, I double checked, and we do not have any more scheduled at this time. We may add some in the spring, but if we do, that will be announced in the newsletter and on the Web site.

River, come on down to Durham! I've got two extra bedrooms - you're welcome to crash.

Thanks for the offer Auu, its not a matter of finances since its a pretty cheap flight and hotels aren't that expensive down there. It the time off. There is no way I could get the vacation to get there before the R2 deadline. Too bad about the info session. Well I am sure I can find enough info online from old chats and threads to find some good insight.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Thanks for the offer Auu, its not a matter of finances since its a pretty cheap flight and hotels aren't that expensive down there. It the time off. There is no way I could get the vacation to get there before the R2 deadline. Too bad about the info session. Well I am sure I can find enough info online from old chats and threads to find some good insight.

I hear ya. And if you want to chat about stuff so you can put "and in speaking with AAu about your mid-market bordello management program, I learned blahblahblah..." let me know. We can chat over break.

Oh, and do you realize that you can interview after the app deadline? You've got a couple weeks or something like that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the offer Aau, thankfully I got my acceptance to Kellogg today. Extremely early in the process, so now I can relax for a LONG time...so I wont have to stress about putting together the best application possible for anymore schools.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Thanks for the offer Aau, thankfully I got my acceptance to Kellogg today. Extremely early in the process, so now I can relax for a LONG time...so I wont have to stress about putting together the best application possible for anymore schools.

Congrats! That's awesome. It must be amazing to have that settled. Are you going with Kellogg, or going to see what else comes along?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23