Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
threestripes wrote:
mbahubby wrote:
threestripes.... small world

We will be going to Carnegie Mellon if none of our WL's work out. However, we are still holding onto some hope that we will get in. Personally, Duke is my favorite location as I want to move more south (not super excited about moving to Pittsburgh but CMU still is a great school).... And being that my husband is wanting to go into Health Management, Duke has the best program. Wish we had put applications in earlier and had a better shot. But, only on our honeymoon this past October did we discuss what would be our next steps in life and getting his MBA was on the top of the list. Got home from our honeymoon and he immeditely enrolled into GMAT prep courses and took the GMAT a few months later when ready..... by then R3 was the only choice. Don't want to wait another year.

Do you have schools to fall back on as well?

Same here. I had a couple of big trips that I had planned last year, so I never got around to deciding that I was ready for my MBA until around September. I took the GMAT and decided on the schools in December, which would not have given my recommenders enough time to send in the recommendation letters for R2.

I am in the sports industry, which is why Duke is my first choice. I have received an offer from Georgetown, which is a very good option for me because of their extensive network in the industry and the great attention that they give to inviting sports executives to speak and to actively getting the students placed in sports business case competitions. But Duke is by far my first choice... so I might wait another year since I don't hate my job anyway.

Congrats, youngn! I know everybody's probably thinking it but I'm not afraid to say that I hope I get your vacated spot. :)

Thanks! As a diehard Cameron Crazie who has tented out all four years, I wish you all the best with Duke!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Asked Fuqua today when will an admissions counselor be assigned who will help navigate the admissions process during the summer months (the email received said by the end of May). The answer was that we should receive an e-mail from a counselor in the next week or two.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 18:27
This post received
KUDOS
I too got an email informing me that my status had been updated. But for the rest of you, I guess there's still hope and you might get lucky in the next few weeks.

MattNY, I'm waitlisted at Ross as well but if I don't hear from them within the next few days, I'm going to withdraw and head off to Cornell. I'm done waiting.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Ha, that's funny! That is really the only question we all have right? I love all the encouragement for meaningless dialogue in this process. Talk with current students about the program, talk with alumni, talk with the admissions officers, talk with your waitlist coordinator…. Does anyone actually have that many questions???

Anyway I am just writing in to let you guys know that I officially declined my acceptance off the waitlist this morning. I saw that there has been some discussion about it. I really hope that my spot gets filled by one of you guys! Good Luck!!!!!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
mba4me2011 wrote:
We are mid-way through June already. Doesn't sound like there was any movement on the waitlist this week. Hope there's some news next week.

I believe almost the entire AdCom had to attend a conference this week. And so, they probably were not able to spend much time reviewing WL profiles. I am hoping that there will be some movement next week as well.

MBAIsrael wrote:
threestripes wrote:
Just realized that I forgot 2013...

1. 2013
2. annemba
3. bschoolbound2011
4. daniel7
5. DaVinci22
6. mattNY
7. mba4me2011
8. mbahubby
9. MBAIsrael
10. Smoodigger
11. socem
12. raerae15
13. threestripes
14. unknownvirus

I'm starting to think that there may still be at least 50 of us on the waitlist. That's awfully big for a summer waitlist.

You can take my name off as well. Good luck you guys!

Thanks for taking your name off the waitlist, MBAIsrael. I hope you have an amazing time at Darden! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck '13
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
shmoopy wrote:
asimov wrote:
ke18sb wrote:
To be clear I'm not being argumentative, but what leads you to believe this. In order for Duke rise someone must fall. Who do you envision Duke passing and why. What were Duke's ranking before the class increase. I'm asking out of curiosity and wondering what you opinion is based on.
Good question.
Here's the historical US News Rankings: http://consusrankings.com/category/busi ... s/us-news/
Fuqua was top 10 until 2004 (with highest showing at #6 in 2003)

Not to mention our BW ranking is #6 right now.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but Fuqua is #20 on Financial Times, #12 in US News, #13 in Wall Street Journal and #13 on Forbes. It's a great school but definitely not a top 10 school. The top 10 list is too crowded. And with all do respect to US News Rankings and its history, it is not the only ranking. You can't base anything on that.

Businessweek has it listed as #6 this year, up from #8 last year. And several respected ranking guides are international- which mean they will invariably mention LBS, INSEAD, etc in their top ten lists. I wouldn't discount Fuqua yet. It's a younger program than most, but it has a heavy hitting brand name behind it. Additionally the dean of admissions mentioned that this was their most competitive year yet- hopefully that trend continues.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 12

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
vjsn1982 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Trying to make a decision between Darden and Fuqua. My post MBA goal is management consulting, my past experience has been in manufacturing/operations. I have family in the Southern California region and was hoping to move there after my MBA, working for a consulting firm or a general management position.

I didn't get any scholarship at either of the two places so cost s about the same. Visited both schools, loved them both. Having a really hard time deciding. I would appreciate any input or feedback.

Thanks

Although bias, I would say Fuqua for sure. Fuqua is becoming much more consulting focused where as Darden is in my opinion, more directed toward finance. I too am going to be pursuing a career in management consulting the recent employment numbers confirmed that Fuqua was a perfect fit for that goal. If you didn't see then online already, take a look at the recently released initial employment report:

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/

In addition, here is a good summary to help think on these employment stats as it applies to consulting:

• Fuqua has a new top employer this year. After Johnson & Johnson’s many years at number one, Deloitte hired 31 graduates and 23 interns for a total of 54 hires. They literally doubled their hiring in only one year, bringing aboard 27 Duke MBAs in 2009 – 2010.
• This year's top ten also includes McKinsey (32 hires), Boston Consulting Group (25), Johnson & Johnson (19) Bank of America Merrill Lynch (17), Apple (16), Bain & Company (14) , Samsung (13), Citi (12), and Goldman Sachs (12). Like Deloitte, many of these firms increased their hiring over the prior year, in some cases substantially. For example, McKinsey went from 16 to 32, BCG 10 to 25, Bain 6 to 14, Citi 5 to 12, and Goldman Sachs 7 to 12.
• As you can see from our top employers’ list, consulting has increased its Fuqua footprint this year. In the graduating class, 31% of the Class of 2011 accepted positions in the consulting industry, up 11 percentage points from the prior year. The consulting industry captured 23% of the intern Class of 2012 representing a jump of ten percentage points over the 13% of consulting interns in 2009 – 2010.
o The mean and median salaries for both classes benefit from this trend, as consulting salaries tend to be the highest among those industries hiring massive numbers of MBAs.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 17:53
This post received
KUDOS
See below for the updated Summer Waitlist.

1. 2013
2. annemba
3. BCNash - WITHDREW for ANDERSON (week of 06/13/11)
4. bschoolbound2011
5. daniel7 - ACCEPTED (06/23/11)
6. DaVinci22
7. desde123 - DECLINED OFFER/Going to BABSON (06/23/11)
8. kidA - DECLINED OFFER/Going to SAID (early June)
9. KienLuong
10. kt2011 - ACCEPTED (06/23/11)
11. mattNY (06/28/11)
12. mba4me2011
13. mbahubby
14. MBAIsrael - WITHDREW for DARDEN (06/17/11)
15. MBwAit - DECLINED OFFER/Going to Kellogg (early June)
16. mreevit - WITHDREW for ROSS (6/14/11)

17. Smoodigger
18. socem
19. raerae15
20. threestripes
21. unknownvirus
22. westcoastapp - DECLINED OFFER/Going to BOOTH (early June)

12 active posters remain alive. I wonder how many more out there are still waiting for a final decision.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: 4 years management strategy in defense sector
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
I'm a current Fuqua student. First day of classes for first year students is August 1st. Last year a student was literally admitted the day before when a spot opened up so this process can literally go down to the wire. That being said, not everyone is able to drop everything and move on a moment's notice (family, work, etc.) so you really need to let the school know when you've crossed that personal line and do so in a professional manner that appropriately expresses your continued interest in the school if you plan to reapply in the fall. The last thing you should want to happen is to get a last minute offer and have to turn it down--potentially hurting your or another applicants chances for admission.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
just took my name off the waitlist, will be going to Ross in the fall. hope this increases the odds for those remaining! Best of luck!

My profile

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [1] , given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Word on the street is Fuqua AdCom is waiting out this debt ceiling debacle before opening up more slots.

One side only wants to cut student body in order to maintain the level of quality and selectivity. The other side wants to raise a little tuition to bring in higher quality professors, attract high-quality students with scholarship, and improve career services. Currently, the side that wants to only cut student body refuse to make any compromises. The pressure is added by the August 1 Orientation deadline. If Fuqua does not have a finalized class size, we would be force to not have a class of 2013. Fuqua AdCom is looking to the leaders of America for inspirations.

Meanwhile, waitlisters are exposed to emotional volatility.

Diversity

Intern
Intern
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.74

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 18:58
Count me in for Round 1!

Also the 2011 Essay Questions

1. Describe your vision for your career and your inspiration for pursuing this career path.

2. How will your background, values, and non-work activities enhance the experience of other Duke MBA students and add value to Fuqua's diverse culture?

3. Why Duke? (If you are interested in a specific concentration, joint degree, clubs or activities, please discuss how you would contribute to these in this essay.)

Optional Essay (not required)

4. If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g., unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weakness in your application).

Good luck to all!
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 07:09
Thank you sausagenpeppers, I have updated the roll call page.

I will also update the application deadlines once they become available. I am guessing they will have similar dates for this year's application.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 07:33
Good luck to class of 2013 applicants! I hope to be able to offer some advice once I get started in a couple months.
Director
Director

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 06:36
Here is a recent article I came across

How to Fit a Campus Into a Suitcase
Duke clicks on new ways to support its global agenda
Director
Director

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 08:49
For people interested in entrepreneurship, Fuqua's P4E program is an excellent start.

http://www.dukeven.com/courses/fuqua-pr ... repreneurs
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 11:50
Out of all the confusion in where to apply, Duke has been the only constant thus far.

Wish me luck!

GMAT Debrief

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 06:18
i am in for round 2!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 09:04
and i've decided on round 2 for duke! i'm really excited about duke so hopefully the 1st round applications will prep me up to do better on the 2nd round!

GMAT Debrief

Last edited by dc3828102 on 01 Jun 2010, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 17:37
count me in for round 1 :)

My profile

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2010, 17:37