Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck everyone. Here is my collection of previous Fuqua interview questions.

Resume / Why MBA / Why Duke?

1. Walk me through your resume.
2. Tell about you current job and previous employment.
3. Why MBA?
4. Tell me about your career goals after business school
5. What are your career goals and how will Duke get you there?
6. Why now?
7. What kinds of personal growth are you looking for in business school?
8. Why Duke?
9. How did you collect information about the college?
10. Why Duke as opposed to the other schools you applied to?
11. What other schools have you applied to? Prioritize them, give reasons.
12. Have you interacted with any faculty?
13. Why do you want to go to school in North Carolina?
14. What impresses you about Duke?
15. What can you contribute to Duke?
16. What extra-curricular activities do you plan to participate in at Fuqua?
17. What sort of legacy will you leave behind at Fuqua?

Teamwork

18. Do you like working in teams or individually?
19. Explain your role in teams
20. Tell me about a team failure?
21. Tell me about a time when you were on a team and one person wasn't pulling their weight. What did you do?
22. What are some challenges working in a team?
23. Tell me about a time where there was conflict in a team.
24. What do you hate about team work?
25. How will you manage to work with cross cultural teams?
26. What did you do to create cultural change?
27. What does diversity mean to you?
28. If you could pick 5 people to form a team, who would they be and why?

Leadership

29. Give me some examples of leadership experiences
30. Tell me about a time you failed as a leader
31. What does leadership mean to you?
32. Tell me about a time when you changed someone's mind.
33. Tell me about a time when you created a pivotal change in your organization. What specifically did you do?
34. Give me an example of a time when you dealt with a difficult leader.
35. Give me an example of a time when you had to make a difficult decision.
36. Think about your favorite boss. What are some of the qualities you liked about him/her?

Personal

37. Tell something about your family background?
38. What kind of person do you consider yourself to be?
39. What would your colleagues say about you?
40. What are the three things your best friend would say about you?
41. If your best friend had to tell me a story about you, what would he say?
42. Strengths and weaknesses (3 strengths, 2 weaknesses)
43. Tell me about a time when you quit something.
44. Tell about one point of time in life where you realized something important.
45. Tell me one important decision you’ve made.
46. Tell me about a situation where you had to convey a difficult message to somebody.
47. Tell me about a time when you received a negative feedback and you did not agree with it? Tell me about a situation where you took initiative to make a difference on a team.
48. Tell me about an important goal/accomplishment that you have achieved in life
49. What is one thing you are proud of?
50. What do you like to do outside of work?
51. Assuming the Director of Admissions is in front of you. Give a 25-second pitch for your candidacy.
52. Is there anything else you would like to tell the admissions committee

Misc

53. How will you explain your job to a 6 year old?
54. Tell me about a story/headline you recently read in the news that has impacted you personally or professionally
55. How are you preparing yourself for the intensive program?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 19

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
vyomneeraj wrote:
EBSIFounder wrote:
vyomneeraj wrote:
for me the answer is simple....its all a matter of what you're capable of...if you can get into harvard, then you deserve to get the higher placement options (after all thts why youre gunning for harvard in the first place)...but if you cant make it and do get into duke, or any other col, then its basically a reflection of your capability vis-a-vis other candidates and hence you will get placed accordingly....so dont worry abt it...in the end, you'll only get what you can achieve....

I agree and disagree with you ... An Indian dude coming from a top-tier feeder industry at Duke will probably land up doing better than some diversity based acceptance at Harvard bcos the pool he had to navigate was much more difficult and the standards set for him were higher ... so ur theory that anybody at Harvard is better than everybody at Duke maybe be fallacious .... I will agree though that the overall caliber at Harvard maybe a tad bit better than Duke. I come from a top-tier consulting firm with amongst the largest recruiting at many top-tier schools. I have seen atleast 3 batches of MBA classes pass while at the firm and I can tell you that some of the Fuqua MBAs I have worked with are smarter and better team players than some of the HBS guys. Again its not a generalization, but just an observation. Your quality is not a complete reflection of the school you goto, it maybe directionally indicative ... the distinction amongst the top 10-12 business schools is very small. In the end, I do agree that if you are good enough, you will do what you want irrespective of where you goto school in the top 10-15 schools. Thats just my 2 cents

there will always be exceptions either way..but we tend to look at averages and that's what im talking about...your peer group really determines how well you do later on....if you're around people who are always inspired to challenge the boundaries and succeed in every aspect, then your nature will also be similar....

ps - im not comparing duke with harvard or wharton. i know that the difference is negligible...but im just making a general statement that the quality of the school does matter in terms of the fact that you will be around like minded people who want to make it big and push further. tht will motivate you to put the extra effort too..

Like the others here, i dont agree the way you generalized the whole idea of better students going to better schools! Yes when you look from afar all the top 15 schools look alike, but when you observe them closely they are as different as your thumb prints. thats why the schools insist on something called "FIT" do you fit in to the school's culture and most importantly is the school the correct 'fit' to fulfill your dreams and aspirations. if what you say is true then perhaps the schools have any easy job on their hand, just select all the students who fall into the 780-800 category! and then let the rest of leftovers get into the 'smaller' schools based on their 'talent'. as per me thats not even generalizing. and the way i saw it after speaking to several students from wharton, (i myself was interviewed for Wharton 2nd round) and other big schools, including Duke where a good friend of mine is a first year student is that the most important factor is will you - "FIT" and not whether you are a hugely talented guy with obscenely awesome resume. no i dont think thats the case. if you were correct then a few of my friends and myself with gmat in the range of 650s should never have received interviews in the first place from the top schools. "FIT" is not an exception but the RULE!
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 305 [2] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rpratt620 wrote:
I am trying to understand your numbers. Where do you see that Fuqua had 35 MBB hires? According to the BW page it was only 6 (all McKinsey). Please let us know where you are finding other data as this would make a BIG difference in influencing my decision of where to attend. (Only 6 MBB with 440 students would put Duke at 1.3%--This would be horrible for consulting)

If you look in the employment report on the 1st page of this thread.
The placement is as follows for M/B/B for Class of 2010 (intern for Class of 2011)
McK - 7 (10)
BCG - 3 (8)
Bain - 2 (4)
Total - 12 (22) --> 34

This number is for the entire school. However, you need to keep in mind that 1) last year, consulting was cutting down on hiring, 2) only 20-25% of the students at Fuqua recruit for consulting, and 3) there are other consulting companies out there.

M/B/B isn't the end all and be all of consulting. There are people who turn down M/B/B for "lower-tier" or boutique consulting for various reasons (especially for the large contigent of people who are interested in healthcare consulting).

Diversity

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Let Duke know recently that I won't be attending. Hope those of you on the waitlist hear something soon!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale - ding; Fuqua - Accepted; KFBS - Accepted; JHU Carey - Accepted
WE 1: Backstage TV/Film - 2 years
WE 2: Healthcare Admin - 6 years
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 21

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
mbadream11 wrote:
mvanbusk wrote:
As I was looking at this forum, they called! ACCEPTED!! Woohoo!

Congratulations! are you r3 o waitlist? When is payment deadline?

I was a R2 WL and was told 48 hours to deposit (so tomorrow). Here goes draining my paltry savings account.....as if the whole application process hasn't cost enough!

swaise wrote:
The deposit deadline is May 20th and the acceptance letter says that scholarship letters will be sent out approximately two weeks from May 9th. Anyone know if we will hear about scholarship money before the May 20th deadline?

@swaise, I asked about scholarships and was told there is still scholarship money being distributed. Letters will go into the mail next week apparently. Surprised me because it's so late in the process.

Good luck fellow waitlisters! Hope to see you at orientation!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my acceptance to Booth yesterday so I will be withdrawing my offer from Duke. Hopefully that'll free up a space for the WLers out there - don't give up hope!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 05:27
This post received
KUDOS
I'm applying in EA this year; studying to retake my GMAT. Best of luck to all!

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 19

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:
I'm in for round 1 (I'm technically still on the summer waitlist but betting it's not going to pan out).

What is the history on scholarships offered to ED candidates? I considered applying ED but then I thought if they have you captive, don't they have less incentive to offer money? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Last season, no EA applicants reported any scholarship. Those who received scholarship during the regular rounds all had 760+ GMAT, which leads me to think that Duke use GMAT to determine scholarship awards after you are accepted

Since your listed GMAT is below 760 and you were WLed, it would be better to apply EA to increase your chance of acceptance (if you are set on Fuqua).

Diversity

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
We are looking at a small sample though. I am sure Fuqua reward scholarship to qualified candidates with varies gmat scores. :-D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: 4 years management strategy in defense sector
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
My instincts say "No" to scholarships in EA. The available data confirms my suspicions that by applying EA and committing to attend if accepted, they have you somewhat as a captive audience. How would you even negotiate a scholarship based on receiving one at another school? You already said by appling EA that if accepted elsewhere you would decline admission in favor of Fuqua. Therefore saying I can't come unless there is money makes you look like you're waivering on your obligation. That being said, they may still offer money in EA but I would guess it's limited. Money seems to be used to lure candidates who may be considering other programs, here that is not the case. Please note this is my reasoning, not any insider info.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
ThomasD wrote:
Check in 10:00AM
Class visit 10:30AM - 11:45 AM
Tour with lunch 12:00PM - 1:30 PM
Interview 2:00PM - 3:00 PM
Meet & Greet with Admissions Officer 3:00PM - 3:30 PM

I definitely want to take the tour first, it may just give me some extra ideas on how to answer some questions with more of a ' Fuqua spin ' - the danger is of course that I will get some hot sauce or something on my suit....

Can anyone recommend a unique place to stay? I kind of like to stay in bed&breakfasts, or smaller, non-chain hotels if I can.

Would be interesting to know what unique things u will be able to include in you fuqua spin after the tour. I was there last year the place is good but it was tough to come up with any insightful info about fuqua.

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 114 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

It is nice to see a thread for 2011 applicants.....recollecting those hectic days to meet the application deadlines. Well, I am current student of Fuqua - WEMBA class of 2011. My story is bit different from that of most other full time students in the sense, I applied for Full time but fortunately was offered admission to WEMBA program.(I am offered admission to WEMBA based on the application that I submitted for full time). And I am proud to say that I am Fuqua student now.

Just to inform you an option that there is a question in the online application that asks us whether our application can be considered for other MBA programs - WEMBA, CCMBA or Global). So if for some reason you feel full time program is a far shot, and Fuqua is a top priority school, flag this question in the application package. You can increase the odds of becoming a Fuqua student. (Of course only if you alternative choice is one of WEMBA / CCMBA / Global MBA @ Fuqua). :)

Finally, If anyone wants to know any specific details about WEMBA program, feel free to PM me.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
admad10 wrote:
hey all,

I want to know one particulatr thing abt duke...
like other schools... ie booth famous for Finance, Kelloggs- Marketing, etc...

Wht is flagship of Duke?

Duke is really balanced, but a lot of people probably know it as a marketing school. In reality, they place a high number into marketing, a high number into consulting, and a relatively high number into finance. I think in the last numbers were about 30% into marketing, 30% into consulting, a bunch into finance and then all the other stuff.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Roll Call Updated
I know there's a lot of interest in consulting out there. Looking for a preliminary internal employment report, it looks like 36 Fuqua students did a consulting internship, 21 of which were at M/B/B.

I'm not sure how true the following is, but speaking with a SY, all of the interns got extended full time offer at the end of the internship.

Also, Fuqua just kicked off a new Center for Consulting Excellence, designed to make Duke more attractive to top consulting firms. The executive director is a HBS grad with 15 years experience at BCG.
http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/news_events/releases/447327/

Diversity

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 16:36
This post received
KUDOS
ThomasD wrote:
I have another question, I just started filling in some online application material and then I am running into this:

Quote:
Health Sector Management Certificate
A certificate within The Duke MBA, the Health Sector Management program links the core business fundamentals offered in the traditional Fuqua MBA program to the salient, business critical issues unique to the healthcare industry. The overlay of a comprehensive curriculum and robust extracurricular offerings provided by HSM onto the core MBA experience creates a rich, holistic and lasting experience. The HSM program better positions Fuqua students for career placement short-term and offers a competitive advantage throughout their careers. Our students bring a diversity of backgrounds, both inside and outside the health sector, and graduate to pursue careers in fields such as service delivery, consulting, finance, pharmaceuticals, medical device and biotechnology. To learn more visit our Web site.
Are you interested in pursuing the Health Sector Management Certificate?
Yes No

I select YES

Course Concentration
Are you interested in any of our course concentrations?
If yes, you may declare up to two:

Your second choice will only populate if your concentration allows two programs to be selected.
For more information regarding specific concentrations, please refer to http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/student_resou ... ntrations/.

Now my question is, should I still select two concentrations or not if I am shooting for the HSM certificate? What is typical here? Do you select 2 concentrations and the certificate, or certificate with 0 or 1 concentration. Any ideas/recommendations? I am certainly interested in some of the concentrations, but I do not know if it feasible/expected/doable etc.

Duke does not require you to do any concentrations (nor is it expected). Chances are you will probably end up with another concentration simply because of overlap, but you don't have to add one. With regards to HSM, you could feasibly end up with HSM + 2 concentrations, but probably more likely is that you'll have HSM +1 concentration (or none if you pick your classes very randomly).

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 17:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MYCambridge wrote:
Can anyone share any insight about the MMS program? (IB/MC placement, etc)
Thanks in advance.

This thread has some good discussion on the MMS program: master-of-management-studies-duke-96691.html
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
BruceLee wrote:
2 page essay limit seems like a lot. What is the average number of words that you guys use your essays for Duke? Thanks

Mine are all around 1000 words.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 35

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
ThomasD wrote:
My Interview experience:

First of all I was crazy I got up at 3.30 in the morning to fly out to Duke and as one of my flights was delayed, my final schedule ended up looking like this:

Check in 1:30PM
Interview 2:00PM - 3:00 PM
Meet & Greet with Admissions Officer 3:00PM - 3:30 PM
Class visit 4:00PM - 5:15 AM

I missed the tour with lunch which was a big bummer, because Duke students are friendly and chatty. Everyone I met during the rest of my trip had at least on tip or trick to share, so the in-between time of my schedule was among the most valuable time!

The interview: 2nd year student, he spoke 4 languages fluent, including my native language, so we hit it off quite nicely. He had a form/questionnaire in front of him that he used for the interview and the main things covered were:

* Walk me through your resume
* Long Term/Short Term Goals
* Why MBA
* Why Now
* Why Duke
* Tell me about the type of leader you are
* What would you look for in a team (specifically learning team)?
* How do you deal with conflict?

The entire interview was in a very friendly atmosphere and it was more conversational than interview - at least that's how I perceived it. Lasted a solid 50minutes with the last 5 minutes devoted to me asking questions.

Impressions were that the interview went ok. I forgot to include one quality aspect about my application that I am not incorporating in my Duke essays, so when I realized that I was a little bummed, but the rest was fine. What cheered my up a bit, I saw my interviewer again in a hallway later during the day and he gave me the thumbs up from a distance.

Finally, I flew back out that same day, which boy was stressful. It was a 21h trip for me and this morning I am like wabbly toast. Again, while this is cheap and may seem efficient to visit a school, I highly recommend spending 2 days. A lot of fellow applicants I met, flew in one day, did the campus tour, met with students etc on day one and then had their interview day 2 - which is smart, it allows them to incorporate the things they just learned to possible demonstrate a better fit. Then again, there were those that were nervous about the interview and interviewed first and then did all the rest. I suppose either way works, but if I could do it over again, I would do 2 days: Day 1 explore Fuqua, Day 2 interview.

Thanks for sharing, I wish you the best in the process.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Roll Call Corrected
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 18:45
This post received
KUDOS
Roll Call Updated
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2010, 18:45