Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 05:27
Expert's post
raerae15 wrote:
I'm in it for the long haul. I'm trying to stay optimistic but I did hear from current students that it was significantly more competitive this year due to Fuqua's jump in the rankings.

I believe Fuqua's ranking will continue to improve. We took a big hit when we increased class size during economy boom (low application volume), but the faculty, culture, haven't changed much since that time. Fuqua is a top 10 school, hopefully that will soon be reflected in all the major rankings (especially, ones that factor in past performance).

Diversity

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 05:32
Since you are a current student, perhaps you heard things about this year's waitlist? Did you also hear that the waitlist was longer this year due to it being a more competitive year?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 11:36
We are mid-way through June already. Doesn't sound like there was any movement on the waitlist this week. Hope there's some news next week.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 11:52
threestripes wrote:
Just realized that I forgot 2013...

1. 2013
2. annemba
3. bschoolbound2011
4. daniel7
5. DaVinci22
6. mattNY
7. mba4me2011
8. mbahubby
9. MBAIsrael
10. Smoodigger
11. socem
12. raerae15
13. threestripes
14. unknownvirus

I'm starting to think that there may still be at least 50 of us on the waitlist. That's awfully big for a summer waitlist.

You can take my name off as well. Good luck you guys!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
mba4me2011 wrote:
We are mid-way through June already. Doesn't sound like there was any movement on the waitlist this week. Hope there's some news next week.

I believe almost the entire AdCom had to attend a conference this week. And so, they probably were not able to spend much time reviewing WL profiles. I am hoping that there will be some movement next week as well.

MBAIsrael wrote:
threestripes wrote:
Just realized that I forgot 2013...

1. 2013
2. annemba
3. bschoolbound2011
4. daniel7
5. DaVinci22
6. mattNY
7. mba4me2011
8. mbahubby
9. MBAIsrael
10. Smoodigger
11. socem
12. raerae15
13. threestripes
14. unknownvirus

I'm starting to think that there may still be at least 50 of us on the waitlist. That's awfully big for a summer waitlist.

You can take my name off as well. Good luck you guys!

Thanks for taking your name off the waitlist, MBAIsrael. I hope you have an amazing time at Darden! :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 15:16
asimov wrote:
I believe Fuqua's ranking will continue to improve. We took a big hit when we increased class size during economy boom (low application volume), but the faculty, culture, haven't changed much since that time. Fuqua is a top 10 school, hopefully that will soon be reflected in all the major rankings (especially, ones that factor in past performance).

To be clear I'm not being argumentative, but what leads you to believe this. In order for Duke rise someone must fall. Who do you envision Duke passing and why. What were Duke's ranking before the class increase. I'm asking out of curiosity and wondering what you opinion is based on.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 16:34
Expert's post
ke18sb wrote:
To be clear I'm not being argumentative, but what leads you to believe this. In order for Duke rise someone must fall. Who do you envision Duke passing and why. What were Duke's ranking before the class increase. I'm asking out of curiosity and wondering what you opinion is based on.
Good question.
Here's the historical US News Rankings: http://consusrankings.com/category/busi ... s/us-news/
Fuqua was top 10 until 2004 (with highest showing at #6 in 2003)

Not to mention our BW ranking is #6 right now.

Diversity

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 23:23
asimov wrote:
ke18sb wrote:
Good question.
Here's the historical US News Rankings: http://consusrankings.com/category/busi ... s/us-news/

I don't mean to burst your bubble but Fuqua is #20 on Financial Times, #12 in US News, #13 in Wall Street Journal and #13 on Forbes. It's a great school but definitely not a top 10 school. The top 10 list is too crowded. And with all do respect to US News Rankings and its history, it is not the only ranking. You can't base anything on that.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck '13
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
shmoopy wrote:
asimov wrote:
ke18sb wrote:
Good question.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but Fuqua is #20 on Financial Times, #12 in US News, #13 in Wall Street Journal and #13 on Forbes. It's a great school but definitely not a top 10 school. The top 10 list is too crowded. And with all do respect to US News Rankings and its history, it is not the only ranking. You can't base anything on that.

Businessweek has it listed as #6 this year, up from #8 last year. And several respected ranking guides are international- which mean they will invariably mention LBS, INSEAD, etc in their top ten lists. I wouldn't discount Fuqua yet. It's a younger program than most, but it has a heavy hitting brand name behind it. Additionally the dean of admissions mentioned that this was their most competitive year yet- hopefully that trend continues.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 20:02
Thanks for the list, threestripes. Looks like not much going on this week. I didn't even get a confirmation on the last update that I sent in, so things don't seem any more "responsive" now that we have an assigned representative.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 05:24
mattNY wrote:
Thanks for the list, threestripes. Looks like not much going on this week. I didn't even get a confirmation on the last update that I sent in, so things don't seem any more "responsive" now that we have an assigned representative.

I agree. A Fuqua alum offered to write a recommendation letter for me last week. They submitted it before the end of last week, but I still have not received confirmation from any of their waitlist coordinators. The last time an alum/current student sent their recommendation in for me, I got confirmation the day after.

The silence is deafening. It could be the calm before the mini storm, so I am hoping that they have spent the last couple of days deliberating on which ones among us will be lucky enough to get a call from them this week. Or... it could also be that they are already brainstorming on what essay questions to release for this year's application cycle. I sure hope it's the first one.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 06:10
This is the part I do not understand.

I got waitlisted by Fuqua in R2. While waiting, I updated my application package and applied to one of the big names in Chicago. This is the question: while my improved package is good enough to get me in a much better ranked school in the more competitive R3, the same updates can not get me into Fuqua from the waitlist?

I seriously think the waitlist of Fuqua is a real joke. Less than 10 ppl were accepted off the waitlist starting from the early decision round? People on the waitlist are not defective, why the bias?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 10:23
I just got the call from my waitlist counselor. I'm In :) . I'm an R2 WLer. However, my status in the Duke webpage is still on waitlist and that seems a bit odd. Did anybody have a similar experience?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 10:31
Congratulations daniel7!!! No status updates here so far. :(

daniel7 wrote:
I just got the call from my waitlist counselor. I'm In :) . I'm an R2 WLer. However, my status in the Duke webpage is still on waitlist and that seems a bit odd. Did anybody have a similar experience?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 12:07
Congrats daniel7. Were you sending in waitlist updates, or taking the wait and see approach?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 12:24
daniel7 wrote:

Congrats, daniel7! :)

I would like to echo bscholbound2011 and ask you to share with us how you dealt with the WL situation.

The lack of communication from my WL Counselor has me a little concerned. Up until this week, my Counselor has been quick to respond to my messages. I have not heard a peep from them this week. I wonder if they are weaning me off so that I would get a clue and just stop sending updates/questions altogether.

See below for the updated list.

1. 2013
2. annemba
3. bschoolbound2011
4. daniel7 - ACCEPTED (06/23/11)
5. DaVinci22
6. KienLuong
7. mattNY
8. mba4me2011
9. mbahubby
10. MBAIsrael - WITHDREW for DARDEN (06/17/11)
11. mreevit - WITHDREW for ROSS (6/14/11)
12. Smoodigger
13. socem
14. raerae15
15. threestripes
16. unknownvirus
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 17:00
bschoolbound2011 wrote:
Congrats daniel7. Were you sending in waitlist updates, or taking the wait and see approach?

I sent 5 different essays, 3 updates and 2 stating some aspect of the school I like and how it was closely related with my professional life (GCP and The Research Advantage). I tried to send these 2 weeks apart from each other. I also sent a recomendation from an american VP in a consulting firm that has close ties with the school.

Oh one other thing. I wrote in one of the essays that it would be no problem to be accepted at this point and time even if I'm an international. Time is tight but it definately can be done and it's definately worth it.

Good luck to you all and I hope everyone ultimately gets what they want (the school that is the right fit, financial security, the city/town you want to live in, etc.). That's what's important.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (R1- WL), Kellogg (R2-WL)
WE 1: High-tech (4.5 years)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 06:58
Got a missed call from my WL manager yday and I called him back today. I am in!!! Have to send in my deposit within 2-3 business days. No change in online status.
Thanks a ton to this amazing forum. This has been one helluva ride!!
For the benefit of others waiting, I sent in 3 updates and one recommendation letter from a current supervisor...over the last 4.5 months. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device Image
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 08:53
kt2011 wrote:
Got a missed call from my WL manager yday and I called him back today. I am in!!! Have to send in my deposit within 2-3 business days. No change in online status.
For the benefit of others waiting, I sent in 3 updates and one recommendation letter from a current supervisor...over the last 4.5 months. Good luck!

Congrats, kt2011! Are you an international or a domestic applicant?

It looks like they made all the calls yesterday... which means those of us who didn't get a call from our WL Counselor will have to wait at least another 2-3 weeks for another chance to be accepted.

See below for the updated waitlist.

1. 2013
2. annemba
3. bschoolbound2011
4. daniel7 - ACCEPTED (06/23/11)
5. DaVinci22
6. kidA - WITHDREW for SAID
7. KienLuong
8. kt2011 - ACCEPTED (06/23/11)
9. mattNY
10. mba4me2011
11. mbahubby
12. MBAIsrael - WITHDREW for DARDEN (06/17/11)
13. MBwAit - WITHDREW for Kellogg
14. mreevit - WITHDREW for ROSS (6/14/11)

15. Smoodigger
16. socem
17. raerae15
18. threestripes
19. unknownvirus
20. westcoastapp - WITHDREW for BOOTH

Last edited by threestripes on 24 Jun 2011, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 08:55
kt2011 wrote:

Congrats kt2011!! Welcome to the club :-D
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2011, 08:55