Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology (9 yrs)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 09:30
Hi All,

In for R1 as well. Just went to the information session in Manhattan last night (officially Duke's first info session this year).

Quite psyched after attending the event ... although duke was always high up on my list.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 10:01
sj0509 wrote:
Hi All,

In for R1 as well. Just went to the information session in Manhattan last night (officially Duke's first info session this year).

Quite psyched after attending the event ... although duke was always high up on my list.

Dang, wish I went now. I was at a work sponsored happy hour :-D

My profile

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 11:05
Part of me thinks it might be advantageous to not submit a completed app until after the optional interview? Any merit to this?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 11:11
DCMike wrote:
Part of me thinks it might be advantageous to not submit a completed app until after the optional interview? Any merit to this?

Thats my plan. I also wish I could go on the tour/class visit before the interview, but since I've only got 1 day on campus, I scheduled the interview first so I wouldn't be tired or exhausted at the end of the day...or spend the whole day worrying or being nervous.

My profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 11:27
mba2013 wrote:
DCMike wrote:

Thats my plan. I also wish I could go on the tour/class visit before the interview, but since I've only got 1 day on campus, I scheduled the interview first so I wouldn't be tired or exhausted at the end of the day...or spend the whole day worrying or being nervous.

I set up my interview right after the tour of campus that includes lunch... that way I can always relax a bit during the lunch portion of the tour. I also managed to schedule my interview the friday before Alabama plays at Duke...

What are other peoples opinions on application status during optional interviews?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 11:57
Hello everyone, international applicant here, I wish i could go to Durham for interview but given my current schedule at work is not posible for me to go from South America to Durham. Wish you all the best to all of you going and please share your experience visiting the school and interviewing.

Regards
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 12:06
Check in 10:00AM
Class visit 10:30AM - 11:45 AM
Tour with lunch 12:00PM - 1:30 PM
Interview 2:00PM - 3:00 PM
Meet & Greet with Admissions Officer 3:00PM - 3:30 PM

I definitely want to take the tour first, it may just give me some extra ideas on how to answer some questions with more of a ' Fuqua spin ' - the danger is of course that I will get some hot sauce or something on my suit....

Can anyone recommend a unique place to stay? I kind of like to stay in bed&breakfasts, or smaller, non-chain hotels if I can.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 12:11
ThomasD wrote:

I definitely want to take the tour first, it may just give me some extra ideas on how to answer some questions with more of a ' Fuqua spin ' - the danger is of course that I will get some hot sauce or something on my suit....

Can anyone recommend a unique place to stay? I kind of like to stay in bed&breakfasts, or smaller, non-chain hotels if I can.

Not sure of your budget, but the Washington Duke is a gorgeous hotel right across the street from Fuquay. A night should run you about 140... totally worth it in my opinion

http://www.washingtondukeinn.com/
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 12:37

I may skip the tour as I've done that before. I may meet students/friends during that time.

Investment Banking with Health-sector focus (HSM): any thoughts? I see a lot of people who are applying to Columbia, Stern and Duke.

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
ThomasD wrote:

Would be interesting to know what unique things u will be able to include in you fuqua spin after the tour. I was there last year the place is good but it was tough to come up with any insightful info about fuqua.

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 04:45
DCMike wrote:
ThomasD wrote:

Not sure of your budget, but the Washington Duke is a gorgeous hotel right across the street from Fuquay. A night should run you about 140... totally worth it in my opinion

http://www.washingtondukeinn.com/

very nice place. Was there for a wedding a couple months ago, and I will be staying there again for my interview in October. I know its more expensive, but I tend to overstress for interviews so having that familiarity will help reduce one of the variables the night before. ie, I know the room is clean, the bed is good so i'll get a good nights sleep, breakfast/light coffee in the lobby, easy parking and access to campus etc.. nothing worse than having an early morning interview and having a nightmare experience at a hotel the night before.

My profile

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 08:18
Silvers wrote:
ThomasD wrote:

Would be interesting to know what unique things u will be able to include in you fuqua spin after the tour. I was there last year the place is good but it was tough to come up with any insightful info about fuqua.

Probably not much from the tour, but you could definitely pick something up during lunch.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 08:21
I would not worry too much about places to stay. You can get to Fuqua pretty easily from everywhere in the triangle/Durham/Chapel Hill area. I basically picked the cheapest option each time I was visiting and it turned out fine. If you're nervous, just drive there the night before and make sure you know where you're going. There is a visitor lot right outside of the school, so parking won't be an issue. Also, unless you are staying at the Washington Duke, I would make sure to rent a car.

I don't know of any very unique places to stay.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 08:43
That hotel does look neat. Thanks all! Back to the essays....

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 05:31
Ok, gonna sign up for interview....apparently a 2nd year student is going to be the interviewer. I see many people here are doing tours/class visits prior to the interview - so i guess you guys are flying/driving the day prior? Also, is the dress code going to be formal with suit or better to go business casual since interviewer is a student?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 10:49
Yeah, I am flying in the day before and unless our currents student here indicate that business casual is ok, I think I am going for the formal dress code. It is still an interview...but good point asking shaselai

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 10:50
Just because a student is interviewing does not make it any less formal. Unless dress code is specified, I would wear what you would normally wear to an interview (suit).

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image

My profile

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 12:04
ThomasD wrote:

Another option to consider is the King's Daughters Inn. It's a B&B across the street from Duke's East Campus (Fuqua is on West Campus). I've heard really great things about it. Like the Washington Duke, though, it depends on your budget.

Good luck!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 12:06
any really cheap place within walking distance? or i pretty much need rental car? like 50 a night?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 12:50
Last year, Fuqua specifically stated that business casual was okay. I think some people thought that was somewhat of a trick (it was not) and still wore a suit. Some people feel more comfortable in suits, others do not. If the guidelines are the same this year, then do what you feel is more comfortable. You won't look out of place in one, you won't look out of place not in one.

As far as having a rental car, I think it's more a convenience factor. It will likely you cost you the same (could even be cheaper) as a taxi.

Re: Calling All Duke 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2010, 12:50