Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 19:38
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
withdrawing my app for either Tuck or Darden - hope this pulls someone off the waitlist for an interview! good luck to all of the aspiring members of team fuqua!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, MIT Sloan, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Investment Banking (1yr)
WE 2: Private Equity (2 yrs)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
I received an interview invite last week, but I am also withdrawing. Hopefully that opens up a spot for someone else out there. Best of luck to all of you!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
For the record: invited to interview
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
@ACNguy

Alright, threw up the white flag after 5 tries, wasn't able to get anyone. It's kind of disconcerting that they would take this long to return a call when the student aid application is due in less than two weeks. There also doesn't seem to be an email address on the contact info form for a follow up (edit: found it on the financial aid site: finaid-info@fuqua.duke.edu).

Anyway, there's an admitted student event in NYC tonight that I'm going to try to get to. I'll see if I can't find anyone there who has an idea of how to answer the question.

Speaking of which, any other gmatclubbers that are going to be at the event?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
bonethugnhominy wrote:
So.. are most people showing up in a suit & tie?

if you are talking interviews you will be in the majority if you're in a suit and tie.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 23:38
This post received
KUDOS
gtb2009 wrote:
What's Fuqua's grade disclosure policy?

As of now, we have a full disclosure policy (meaning the recruiter has access to our grades if requested), but there has been some talk this year about doing away with that. I think it's just talk, though. Personally, I like grade disclosure. If a firm is going to take a chance on someone and shower him with many thousands of dollars then the firm should see how he's doing in school. And if a student is worried about grade disclosure then maybe he should just do better.

You may already know this, but we don't have grades in the traditional sense anyway. The top 25% of each class gets an SP; the next 40% gets an HP; and the bottom 35% gets a P, LP, or F.

A couple of you have been concerned about the tie or no tie deal. All I can say there is that the school truly wants you to be comfortable, so dress according to that and only that. You're not going to impress anyone if you wear a tie (and you might come off a little stiff), and you're certainly not going to disappoint anyone if you go without one.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Tuck - Class of 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 00:26
This post received
KUDOS
SJM2 wrote:
gtb2009 wrote:

As of now, we have a full disclosure policy (meaning the recruiter has access to our grades if requested), but there has been some talk this year about doing away with that. I think it's just talk, though. Personally, I like grade disclosure. If a firm is going to take a chance on someone and shower him with many thousands of dollars then the firm should see how he's doing in school. And if a student is worried about grade disclosure then maybe he should just do better.

I am actually surprised on your stance and the policy in general because to me, grade disclosure creates inter-classmate competition, which is somewhat different than the collaborative environment Duke is known for. Additionally, the policy incentivizes people to only take classes that play to their strengths and discourages them from taking courses that could stretch them and be more challenging, which is a bummer at a school like Fuqua that has a fairly flexible curriculum.

Its not a matter of "just doing better", especially when the students are coming from such diverse backgrounds. I highly doubt that a former engineer is going to be on the same level as someone like me with a wall street background as we go through a capital markets class. And guess what, he is probably going to be the career switcher, not me and is going to need help. If you have a grade disclosure policy based on a forced curve, you are upping the competition in the class and while yeah I will probably still lend a hand, I will also have in the back of my mind that 25% range I need to be in. I fail to see how the grades are even that relevant/valid on a forced curve basis, no matter how bright the class is, only 25% can get the highest mark.

Just a different way of looking at the policy I guess.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
Ginetta wrote:
SJM2 wrote:
gtb2009 wrote:

I am actually surprised on your stance and the policy in general because to me, grade disclosure creates inter-classmate competition, which is somewhat different than the collaborative environment Duke is known for. Additionally, the policy incentivizes people to only take classes that play to their strengths and discourages them from taking courses that could stretch them and be more challenging, which is a bummer at a school like Fuqua that has a fairly flexible curriculum.

Its not a matter of "just doing better", especially when the students are coming from such diverse backgrounds. I highly doubt that a former engineer is going to be on the same level as someone like me with a wall street background as we go through a capital markets class. And guess what, he is probably going to be the career switcher, not me and is going to need help. If you have a grade disclosure policy based on a forced curve, you are upping the competition in the class and while yeah I will probably still lend a hand, I will also have in the back of my mind that 25% range I need to be in. I fail to see how the grades are even that relevant/valid on a forced curve basis, no matter how bright the class is, only 25% can get the highest mark.

Just a different way of looking at the policy I guess.

You're right -- it's just a different way to look at it. What I can tell you, though, is that the grade disclosure policy does nothing to raise the competitive stakes here. There is no pervasive sense of competitiveness here at all. In fact, those who have been more well equipped in certain classes -- to follow your analogy above -- have often hosted help sessions for their classmates. And as for the electives (you're right, Fuqua has one of the most flexible curricula in the country), I'm not aware of anyone who's stacking the deck in their favor by taking classes that come easy to them. Generally, people take what interests them and what could prove applicable in their careers. Some students might be taking a lighter workload this term, but that's to give them time for the job search -- something that, fortunately, Fuqua allows us to do. It's all part of the culture here. I don't know if the admissions team sniffs out the cutthroat egomaniacs before they can ever get in here, but whatever it is, the collaborative, supportive environment remains strong despite the grade policy.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross R2, Duke R2

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
bonethugnhominy wrote:
So.. are most people showing up in a suit & tie?

I wore a nice suit, but ditched the tie in an effort to not completely disregard their instructions re: attire.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
Re: the grading policy - a friend who's a Fuqua alum from a few years back pointed me towards this video he had a hand in. Good for a quick laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xLV23t1rLY

(note: I visited Darden and thought it was great, so I try to look at this more as a general stand against "gunning")
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, Wharton, HBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 16:47
This post received
KUDOS
goldenspaceship wrote:
Hello my friends, I have something that need an opinion or two.

I had an Saturday interview at a hub in CA. My interview was strictly 30 min + 5 min for Q&A.
My interviewer started to look at the clock at close to 30 min. I later learned from someone else who interviewed with another alum at the same hub his was close to 1 hour. What can I take from this?
Anyone else who interviewed at the SF hub? 30 min felt really short for me and I had a lot more to say. :(

I am not sure if they did have a strict time limit, and if so why another person interviewed close to an hour. If there is no time limit, then I guess I the person didn't feel me at all. Yikes! Should I ask for another one?

million thanks.

I dont think you will get another interview even if you ask for one. Given a chance, I'm sure there's something that all of us could do better in an interview. Just reflect on what you can do better and crack the next one.

On a separate note, interviewers are just trying to determine fit and see if you'll do well at Duke. If they figured it out in 30 minutes, you probably did a good job -- i hope you took the rest of the time to ask "intelligent" questions to show how much you <3 Duke. Good luck!

My B-School Adventure
blog: http://biggsmba.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/biggsmba

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC (R1), NCSU (R2), Duke (R2)
WE 1: IT systems management
WE 2: telecom

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
Who wants to pay $28k/yr for tuition? You can do that if you go back in time to 2002. This is an article from local business magazine regarding new NCSU MBA program and their tuition. SO, in less than 8 years tuition for MBA doubled at Duke and tripled at UNC!! Needless to say, UNC dropped in ranks since 2002 and Duke climbed up.
http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangl ... 0MBA%20pay

With the changes, in-state MBA students will pay an estimated $6,500 a year in tuition and fees. Estimates for nonresidents are $18,200 a year. Those costs compare to $28,200 in annual costs for an MBA at Duke University. At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, in-state MBA students pay $9,155 annually while out-of-state students pay $21,105. NCSU's degree was packaged as an MSM to appeal to students shopping for something beyond a traditional MBA, Bartley says.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 19

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
coakleym wrote:
InCaseYouAsked wrote:
It's not like I'm counting down the days until they release the decisions...no sir, not me. :roll:

How many hours, minutes and seconds to the deadline, do you think, off the top of your head? :wink:

119 hours, 44 minutes, and 11, 10, 9 seconds.... Just off the top of my head!

(I used excel in 30 seconds. I'm not the kind of dork who would do it by hand...just the other kind.)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 19

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
Don't worry guys, just 372,221 seconds left until 5pm on Monday.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 3439

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
aolaiz wrote:
On the Information Session I attented last november, one of the alumni told me that Fuqua, as most Business Schools, is looking for "unique candidates", those without traditional backgrounds. That means that if the strongests candidates happen all to be US engineers (all +750 GMAT, +3.5 GPA and terrific WE + essays), not all of them will get admitted. They want as much heterogeneity as possible.

Hope this brightens your expectations!

What brightens my day is looking at your profile picture and imagining that is an actual photo of you as you encourage us with Duke's calls for heterogeneity. Obviously, as the smartest dog alive, you're a shoo-in at Fuqua and everywhere else you applied and not just because you fill their animal quota. (seriously, I have nothing better to do right now). Your 6 years of work experience is more like 42 (top that) and, as long as you avoid frenzied excitement/accidents, you'll have recruiters fawning all over you. Also your shorter life-span really puts some urgency into the Why MBA, Why Now essay.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke R2, MIT R2, NCSU R2, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Technology Management - 5 years
WE 2: Supply Chain Management - 1 year

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 18

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
coakleym wrote:
What brightens my day is looking at your profile picture and imagining that is an actual photo of you as you encourage us with Duke's calls for heterogeneity. Obviously, as the smartest dog alive, you're a shoo-in at Fuqua and everywhere else you applied and not just because you fill their animal quota. (seriously, I have nothing better to do right now). Your 6 years of work experience is more like 42 (top that) and, as long as you avoid frenzied excitement/accidents, you'll have recruiters fawning all over you. Also your shorter life-span really puts some urgency into the Why MBA, Why Now essay.

Can you imagine a puppy (is not a grown-up dog yet) being your fellow peer at Fuqua? It will be very entertaining. Looks like this application is strong indeed... by the way, the puppy's name is Gami.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 11

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
aolaiz wrote:
coakleym wrote:

Can you imagine a puppy (is not a grown-up dog yet) being your fellow peer at Fuqua? It will be very entertaining. Looks like this application is strong indeed... by the way, the puppy's name is Gami.

Sort of like if Brian from Family Guy had a kid/puppy who went to Fuqua?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
coakleym wrote:
bonethugnhominy wrote:
Why do I keep updating this thread, thinking that any info between now and Monday will be of any help?

After interviews the topic of this thread officially changed to stress relief, IMO.

The irony is that if it this thread didn't exist, I wouldn't be getting constant reminders of the exact notification date.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Public Accounting - 2 yrs
WE 2: PE Fund Accounting - 3 yrs

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
I have to admit that I was slightly hoping to know decisions by today because on the chance I actually got accepted, I could practice being a Cameron Crazie in my living room while I watch the Duke/UNC game @ Cameron on Saturday.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (R2 - Waitlist), Fuqua (R1 - Accepted), Kellogg (R1 - Ding w/ Int), CBS (RD - Int)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
According to a Fuqua student's post on a BW forum, yes, some waitlisted candidates will receive offers today.
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2010, 05:24

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65    Next  [ 1283 posts ]