Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 92
Schools: Duke
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 08:22
aaudetat wrote:
I'm back in Durham!

I know I don't know this incoming class as well as the last few, but I am so excited to be here i just had to post!

I'll be on campus all day tomorrow doing some recruiting and then doing some alumni volunteer work for the General Mgmt Club. Good times :)


Welcome back, aaudetat! I hope campus is just as much fun as you remember it. :-D It's great that you're involved with alumni volunteer work for Duke...I personally love hearing about alums who love their schools!
_________________

"Bee" your best!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 332
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 17:55
highhopes wrote:
I actually didn't get the e-mail even though I have a visit scheduled.

Duke really wants people to come visit. I'm guessing maybe they saw less people coming to campus to interview than they'd hoped. It's not like it would increase their yield to offer a break on app fees.

It seems like they do offer quite a few waivers. When I was at Weekend for Women last year, they offered [full] waivers to everyone who attended and it seems like there are a lot of waivers listed in their application.

Are you applying this year? Do you think they will honor the waiver for you? I attended the minority workshop last year and they offered a full waiver to attendees, but I am applying this year. Since people who attended the workshop last year cannot attend this year, I was wondering if I should try to see if the waiver is still applicable. If not, at least the reduced fee is $50 .
_________________

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Posts: 178
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 13:18
Just got into Fuqua for my visit/interview tomm. 70-80 degree weather -- I could certainly get used to this.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 19:24
fugo wrote:
Just got into Fuqua for my visit/interview tomm. 70-80 degree weather -- I could certainly get used to this.


Hey me too! It is nice, definitely better than the weather I left at home.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 19:24
2012dreams wrote:
highhopes wrote:
I actually didn't get the e-mail even though I have a visit scheduled.

Duke really wants people to come visit. I'm guessing maybe they saw less people coming to campus to interview than they'd hoped. It's not like it would increase their yield to offer a break on app fees.

It seems like they do offer quite a few waivers. When I was at Weekend for Women last year, they offered [full] waivers to everyone who attended and it seems like there are a lot of waivers listed in their application.

Are you applying this year? Do you think they will honor the waiver for you? I attended the minority workshop last year and they offered a full waiver to attendees, but I am applying this year. Since people who attended the workshop last year cannot attend this year, I was wondering if I should try to see if the waiver is still applicable. If not, at least the reduced fee is $50 .


I suppose they might, I didn't even think to check.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 23:48
count me in for R1 :)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 06:20
So I had my interview. While most people said their interview felt conversational, I didn't feel like mine was that way, it felt more like an interview. It also had no flow to it, so I never felt a very good rhythm and there were a ton of questions to get through. He also kept looking up at the clock which was above me, which should not have distracted me, but I think it made me hurry a bit. So I don't really feel like it went that well. I feel like there were a few questions that in my head I was like, really, is that your best story? I'm not sure how long it was, probably in the 30-40 minute range. I didn't ask him too many questions because I knew a lot about Duke already.

Here were the questions:
Why MBA?
Why Duke?
Walk me through your resume.
Tell me about a time you worked with a team.
What was an experience you had leading X project & give an example of that experience.
What does diversity mean to you? Have you ever had culture shock?
What does it mean to be a Leader of Consequence?
What do you hope to develop at Duke/what things do you plan to do at Duke?
If you had to build a team of 4 people who would they be? After that he asked what my role on the team would be.
What are your strengths and weaknesses.
Tell about a time you faced and ethical dilemma and what did you learn?
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 445
Location: Vagabond
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 06:31
Highopes,

Who Interviewed you? Was it an adcom member?
_________________

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 13:20
snipertrader wrote:
Highopes,

Who Interviewed you? Was it an adcom member?


A student...all Duke's on campus interviews are with students. Apparently a lot of students were doing interviews for their first time this week.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 798
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 13:27
highhopes wrote:
snipertrader wrote:
Highopes,

Who Interviewed you? Was it an adcom member?


A student...all Duke's on campus interviews are with students. Apparently a lot of students were doing interviews for their first time this week.


Woah, that is rough if it's students doing their "first interview".
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1115
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 10:57
Expert's post
hi higehopes, did you do a self-initiated interview or an invited interview?
_________________

Diversity

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 372
Location: PDX
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 12:55
highhopes wrote:
So I had my interview. While most people said their interview felt conversational, I didn't feel like mine was that way, it felt more like an interview. It also had no flow to it, so I never felt a very good rhythm and there were a ton of questions to get through. He also kept looking up at the clock which was above me, which should not have distracted me, but I think it made me hurry a bit. So I don't really feel like it went that well. I feel like there were a few questions that in my head I was like, really, is that your best story? I'm not sure how long it was, probably in the 30-40 minute range. I didn't ask him too many questions because I knew a lot about Duke already.

Here were the questions:
Why MBA?
Why Duke?
Walk me through your resume.
Tell me about a time you worked with a team.
What was an experience you had leading X project & give an example of that experience.
What does diversity mean to you? Have you ever had culture shock?
What does it mean to be a Leader of Consequence?
What do you hope to develop at Duke/what things do you plan to do at Duke?
If you had to build a team of 4 people who would they be? After that he asked what my role on the team would be.
What are your strengths and weaknesses.
Tell about a time you faced and ethical dilemma and what did you learn?


Goodness .. all of these questions in 40 minutes ?? really ?? That's rough
_________________

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 14:35
asimov wrote:
hi higehopes, did you do a self-initiated interview or an invited interview?


It was self-initiated.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 14:36
pleonasm wrote:
highhopes wrote:
So I had my interview. While most people said their interview felt conversational, I didn't feel like mine was that way, it felt more like an interview. It also had no flow to it, so I never felt a very good rhythm and there were a ton of questions to get through. He also kept looking up at the clock which was above me, which should not have distracted me, but I think it made me hurry a bit. So I don't really feel like it went that well. I feel like there were a few questions that in my head I was like, really, is that your best story? I'm not sure how long it was, probably in the 30-40 minute range. I didn't ask him too many questions because I knew a lot about Duke already.

Here were the questions:
Why MBA?
Why Duke?
Walk me through your resume.
Tell me about a time you worked with a team.
What was an experience you had leading X project & give an example of that experience.
What does diversity mean to you? Have you ever had culture shock?
What does it mean to be a Leader of Consequence?
What do you hope to develop at Duke/what things do you plan to do at Duke?
If you had to build a team of 4 people who would they be? After that he asked what my role on the team would be.
What are your strengths and weaknesses.
Tell about a time you faced and ethical dilemma and what did you learn?


Goodness .. all of these questions in 40 minutes ?? really ?? That's rough


Well it was probably because I was a bumbling idiot during that interview. For some reason I could just not think.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 372
Location: PDX
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 15:17
highhopes wrote:
pleonasm wrote:
highhopes wrote:
So I had my interview. While most people said their interview felt conversational, I didn't feel like mine was that way, it felt more like an interview. It also had no flow to it, so I never felt a very good rhythm and there were a ton of questions to get through. He also kept looking up at the clock which was above me, which should not have distracted me, but I think it made me hurry a bit. So I don't really feel like it went that well. I feel like there were a few questions that in my head I was like, really, is that your best story? I'm not sure how long it was, probably in the 30-40 minute range. I didn't ask him too many questions because I knew a lot about Duke already.

Here were the questions:
Why MBA?
Why Duke?
Walk me through your resume.
Tell me about a time you worked with a team.
What was an experience you had leading X project & give an example of that experience.
What does diversity mean to you? Have you ever had culture shock?
What does it mean to be a Leader of Consequence?
What do you hope to develop at Duke/what things do you plan to do at Duke?
If you had to build a team of 4 people who would they be? After that he asked what my role on the team would be.
What are your strengths and weaknesses.
Tell about a time you faced and ethical dilemma and what did you learn?


Goodness .. all of these questions in 40 minutes ?? really ?? That's rough


Well it was probably because I was a bumbling idiot during that interview. For some reason I could just not think.


I guess that happens .. we tend to blank out at the most unexpected times, like I did when I was asked 'What 5 things would make you sleepless if you were the CEO of Hulu ?" On a lighter note

Why Duke ?
The name sounds kinda cool.. like the Duke of Edinburgh.
_________________

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 798
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 11:05
Self initiated interviews are running out if you want to get in for R1!

Just scheduled mine for 11/3.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Posts: 178
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 14:10
interviewed last week and i guess i should post about my experience. It was interesting - my interviewer was from a pretty non-traditional background so it made answering the why duke / career goals question a little more challenging. Anyways here are the questions -

Why MBA? (we ended up talking for 15-20 mins here due to follow up questions etc) - we covered why duke and why now here too.
pick a team of 6 people including yourself - who and why? / what would your role on this team be?
extracurricular experience (from resume)
what leadership roles will you take on-campus?
do you have quesitons - (5-10 mins)

all told the interview lasted approx 30-40 mins and was conversational but seemed very light and fluffy so i am not sure what to make of that. We didnt talk at all about my work experience which was a little unusual i think since i have been at 2 companies and had approx 5-6 yrs exp. I could have given a better answer to the pick a team question - it threw me off for some reason and i dont think i ever made it through getting to 6 ppl to be honest since there were follow-ups etc.

The class I attended was simply exceptional (esp when compared to other visits). I really liked the students i met, both the current students and the ones visiting which was good. On balance a good visit and I would recommend to anyone considering.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 19:16
fugo wrote:
interviewed last week and i guess i should post about my experience. It was interesting - my interviewer was from a pretty non-traditional background so it made answering the why duke / career goals question a little more challenging. Anyways here are the questions -

Why MBA? (we ended up talking for 15-20 mins here due to follow up questions etc) - we covered why duke and why now here too.
pick a team of 6 people including yourself - who and why? / what would your role on this team be?
extracurricular experience (from resume)
what leadership roles will you take on-campus?
do you have quesitons - (5-10 mins)

all told the interview lasted approx 30-40 mins and was conversational but seemed very light and fluffy so i am not sure what to make of that. We didnt talk at all about my work experience which was a little unusual i think since i have been at 2 companies and had approx 5-6 yrs exp. I could have given a better answer to the pick a team question - it threw me off for some reason and i dont think i ever made it through getting to 6 ppl to be honest since there were follow-ups etc.

The class I attended was simply exceptional (esp when compared to other visits). I really liked the students i met, both the current students and the ones visiting which was good. On balance a good visit and I would recommend to anyone considering.


Fugo, do you mind sharing which class you visited? I always love hearing reports from the prospies, even if I'm not officially involved in admissions anymore.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 27
Location: Ohio
Schools: Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 08:10
I went to managerial econ - And they did equations for a hour and 15 minutes....very exciting :)

Brian, "candidate for MBA", profusely apologized to me lol, said it was the worst class of the year.

O well, still had a great visit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 295
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 18:43
did anyone hear back from admissions in the EA round ?

I applied in the EA round ( oct 6 deadline ) and i got a mail saying that my application is complete and my admission decision ill be sent by November 24. As per the website, the interview decision should be out by October 19 and i was little confused by the mail.

Does that mean that i will have no interview ? Did anyone else get a similar mail who applied in the EA round ?
I am an international applicant but current location is Canada.

Regards,
Neo
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2009, 18:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
47 Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) bigfernhead 898 09 Sep 2009, 06:53
40 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! Raabend 1421 21 May 2009, 06:16
76 Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) xlick 1642 20 Apr 2009, 06:57
11 Calling All 2010 Applicants / Bschool visits (Merged) Ancientmtk 177 24 Apr 2009, 14:50
80 Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! isa 989 10 Jul 2008, 19:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65    Next  [ 1283 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.