Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 19:43
Neo,

I also applied EA and got the same email last week saying that my application was complete and to expect a decision on November 24th. I already interviewed on campus in September. As per the website (http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... us_visits/) it says that interview invitations for the EA round will be sent by October 21st, so my guess is that if you are not contacted by the 21st, then you will have no interview. However, there are still a few days until then so you could still have one!

"Bee" your best!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Fuqua
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 21:33
I went to an information session in San Francisco last Thursday. I took a lot of notes, so if anyone is interested I can go ahead and link my blog post.

Dean Sheppard was at the session and after listening to him speak about his vision for the school and having the chance to speak with him for another 20 minutes afterwards (I waited around until everyone else was gone) regarding the Sustainable Business and global initiatives at Duke, I am thoroughly convinced that Fuqua is a great fit for me and that the school is in very capable hands.

I'm very excited about applying to Duke now, and I can't wait to visit the campus in November.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 13:05
aaudetat wrote:
fugo wrote:

The class I attended was simply exceptional (esp when compared to other visits). I really liked the students i met, both the current students and the ones visiting which was good. On balance a good visit and I would recommend to anyone considering.

Fugo, do you mind sharing which class you visited? I always love hearing reports from the prospies, even if I'm not officially involved in admissions anymore.

It was the econ class with Pipo (don't recall instructors actual name but everyone called him Pipo iirc). He was hilarious - think he was central / south american and kept the class moving but made quite a few jokes. For an 8am class that i feared would have a bunch of sleepy kids- prof seemed to wake them up and get them involved in the class really well. too bad i couldnt stay for the second half.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 17:39
Pino - that's the prof you mean. He's a riot.

fugo wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
fugo wrote:

The class I attended was simply exceptional (esp when compared to other visits). I really liked the students i met, both the current students and the ones visiting which was good. On balance a good visit and I would recommend to anyone considering.

Fugo, do you mind sharing which class you visited? I always love hearing reports from the prospies, even if I'm not officially involved in admissions anymore.

It was the econ class with Pipo (don't recall instructors actual name but everyone called him Pipo iirc). He was hilarious - think he was central / south american and kept the class moving but made quite a few jokes. For an 8am class that i feared would have a bunch of sleepy kids- prof seemed to wake them up and get them involved in the class really well. too bad i couldnt stay for the second half.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 12:46
Expert's post
Does anyone know if Duke has an "admissions blog" like some of the other schools, in which they give updates on the interview invite, admissions call, etc.?

Diversity

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 16:16
asimov wrote:
Does anyone know if Duke has an "admissions blog" like some of the other schools, in which they give updates on the interview invite, admissions call, etc.?

Oh no! Called out. That was something I was working on last year, but we never got it off the ground. I don't know if my successor has plans to get that going or not.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 19:05
any thoughts on attacking question 1 vs question 3? of course question 1 is the typical "career goals" but the second part seems to be asking "why Duke" and question 3 is all about fit/why duke. seems like i'm answering the same question twice. should i leave the second part of question 1 more generic and just make it "why an MBA"?

questions posted for reference:
1. Describe your vision for your career, your inspiration for pursuing this career path, and the role of The Duke MBA in achieving your goals (this seems like why Duke). If you are interested in a specific concentration or joint degree program, please discuss in this essay.

3. Individuals choose a business school for many different reasons. Through your research, what attributes or characteristics of The Duke MBA program have most resonated with you and why? (this is definitely why Duke) How do you plan to contribute to the strengthening and enhancement of those attributes and characteristics during your time at Duke and beyond?

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross (R1-Admit)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 19:31
Your thoughts on Duke optional questions: those who have already applied how you approached the optional question.

If you don't have any extenuating circumstances to write about, could you still write some new stories that would strengthen the candidacy. Or, it would be better to leave the optional essay. Please share your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Kellogg, Duke, Darden, Wharton
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 16:08
Anyone else find it odd that Duke hasn't updated its class profile yet? Most business schools wait three months after graduation before publishing stats and employment numbers, so I'd think Duke would have updated its website by now.

I asked an admissions officer after an info session one night when they planned to update the class profile, but she didn't reveal anything (although she did smile really wide at the question). Thought I'd share because I found her reaction interesting... Makes you wonder what she knows that we don't :)
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 16:29
NCMBA2012 wrote:
Anyone else find it odd that Duke hasn't updated its class profile yet? Most business schools wait three months after graduation before publishing stats and employment numbers, so I'd think Duke would have updated its website by now.

I asked an admissions officer after an info session one night when they planned to update the class profile, but she didn't reveal anything (although she did smile really wide at the question). Thought I'd share because I found her reaction interesting... Makes you wonder what she knows that we don't :)

I just came from Cornell's site and the most recent class profile I came across was for class of 2009 and a 2008 employment report. I also find it odd that certain schools are very delayed in providing the stats applicants care about.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 17:06
2012dreams wrote:
NCMBA2012 wrote:

I just came from Cornell's site and the most recent class profile I came across was for class of 2009 and a 2008 employment report. I also find it odd that certain schools are very delayed in providing the stats applicants care about.

And the whole "apply for only $50" seems a little suspect too...
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 18:17
Ari123 wrote:
Your thoughts on Duke optional questions: those who have already applied how you approached the optional question.

If you don't have any extenuating circumstances to write about, could you still write some new stories that would strengthen the candidacy. Or, it would be better to leave the optional essay. Please share your thoughts.

If you have something substantive that is important - clarification, really specialized info - then share it. Don't think of it as "feel free to write an additional essay just because there is space."
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 18:26
This post received
KUDOS
Ok, this is my recollection of a conversation I had with Liz Riley Hargrove last summer:

1. Is about your career. Where are you going, and why? How will Duke get you there?

3. Is about YOU, as a person. How will you fit into our community? Why do you want to be there? How will you contribute? How will you grow?

I can definitey see that there might be some overlap. For example, the very team-oriented, consensus-driven culture of Fuqua resonated on a personal level. At the same time (and in hindsight), I see that that culture really prepared me to succeed in my current job, where the culture is similar to that of Fuqua. Some arbitrary line-drawing is probably necessary.

Does that help?

2012dreams wrote:
any thoughts on attacking question 1 vs question 3? of course question 1 is the typical "career goals" but the second part seems to be asking "why Duke" and question 3 is all about fit/why duke. seems like i'm answering the same question twice. should i leave the second part of question 1 more generic and just make it "why an MBA"?

1. Describe your vision for your career, your inspiration for pursuing this career path, and the role of The Duke MBA in achieving your goals (this seems like why Duke). If you are interested in a specific concentration or joint degree program, please discuss in this essay.

3. Individuals choose a business school for many different reasons. Through your research, what attributes or characteristics of The Duke MBA program have most resonated with you and why? (this is definitely why Duke) How do you plan to contribute to the strengthening and enhancement of those attributes and characteristics during your time at Duke and beyond?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 03:41
Is anyone going to the event in NYC on Monday? I assume business casual is acceptable?
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 07:13
aaudetat wrote:
Ok, this is my recollection of a conversation I had with Liz Riley Hargrove last summer:

1. Is about your career. Where are you going, and why? How will Duke get you there?

3. Is about YOU, as a person. How will you fit into our community? Why do you want to be there? How will you contribute? How will you grow?

I can definitey see that there might be some overlap. For example, the very team-oriented, consensus-driven culture of Fuqua resonated on a personal level. At the same time (and in hindsight), I see that that culture really prepared me to succeed in my current job, where the culture is similar to that of Fuqua. Some arbitrary line-drawing is probably necessary.

Does that help?

2012dreams wrote:

Good insight.

For what it's worth, here are how mine shaped up.
1) Was mostly a summary of where I wanted to end up, including various experiences that I've had in my career that led me to that point. Since I am also planning on HSM, most of my why Duke portion of this essay was tailored to HSM, with a few broad Fuqua things as well.
3) I spent half of the essay describing four key areas that I saw at Fuqua and why they made me feel that Duke was the right fit for me. The other half I spent describing the areas that I would get involved in. So I approached it from sort of a why does duke fit me and why do i fit duke aspect - kind of what can you do for me, here's what I can do for you.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton(R1), Kellogg(R1), Duke(R1), Columbia(RD), Booth(R2)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 16:58
In for R1
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 05:18
Realize I stumbled upon the site a little late, but I applied EA. Did an open interview in mid-September.
Current Student
Schools: Duke R1, Cornell R2, Columbia RD, Darden R2 (withdrawn), Ross R2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 23:45
Applying R1 - didn't make it to EA. If I get in, it will be Duke. I visited several schools last year, but I loved Duke.
Writing essays now, hopefully everything will go well! :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke R2, HBS R1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 04:52
In for R2! Good luck to everyone!
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 07:28
Just wondering - has anybody applied EA and already attended an open interview had their app status change from "Submitted?" First time going through this and I submitted at the very tail end of the window, just trying to get a better picture so i can stop checking the app website every 2-3 hours. :-D

Thanks in advance!
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2009, 07:28