Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 17:08
Hi, all.

1. TONS of military folks. Our club is very active and I know a lot navy, air force, army, and coast guard people. The leadership guy, Joe LeBoeuf, is an old West Pointer who retired from the military to do consulting and leadership and organizational training full-time. I have a lot of respect for Joe, and a cool factoid is that he and his wife were at one time the high-est ranking military couple.

2. Yes, it's true - we added a 6th section a few years ago. Selectivity took a dive, and the school will circumspectly admit that our student quality took a bit of a dive as well. Unfortunately, we added that section at a horrible time when applications were down across the MBA world and all schools were having to make quality-quantity trade offs. We sometimes jokingly call Section 6 "The Tail." It's not nice, and not true, but still kinda funny. Poor section 6. Since that time, our applications have gone back up and our dean will argue that the additional section actually increased quality - it allowed us to hire more faculty (leading to more classes and more research) and lures more employers because our marketplace is essentially bigger than that of a lower-class-size school. That's debatable, of course.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Georgetown, Kellogg, Wharton
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 19:02
Just in case, you guys want to see what life at Fuqua is really like....

First Year Student
Attachments

Fuqua Friday.jpg
Fuqua Friday.jpg [ 53.98 KiB | Viewed 3123 times ]

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 19:13
blake5790 wrote:
Just in case, you guys want to see what life at Fuqua is really like....

First Year Student

Oh, Station 9, you Melrose wanna-be!

I have to say we never had a toga party - hats off to Fuqua 2011!

(I also am surprised at how many of those folks I recognize...teeheehee...)
Current Student
Schools: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Georgetown, Kellogg, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 20:37
And here's the outside of the party....
Attachments

6573_122705837946_709457946_2549168_6576109_n.jpg
6573_122705837946_709457946_2549168_6576109_n.jpg [ 50.66 KiB | Viewed 3094 times ]

6573_122705837946_709457946_2549168_6576109_n.jpg
6573_122705837946_709457946_2549168_6576109_n.jpg [ 50.66 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 21:01
When does Rush Week start? I hope I can get a bid to pledge a good house.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 10:01
highhopes wrote:
Duke has more information about their interview policy for this year on their website.

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... us_visits/

Just so I'm clear on this - you can schedule an interview for a date prior to when you actually apply?

I had planned on visiting Fuqua in Sep/Oct just as a normal campus visit, since I did not have the chance to visit this past spring. I'm tempted to wrap an interview in there as well, but then again, I wouldn't be able to adequately respond to any questions similar to "Why Fuqua?" Are these open interviews of a different format? Would it be looked down upon if I came and visited but did not schedule an interview, expecting/hoping to be invited back in December? Is it the norm for first time visitors to come and interview?
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 14:36
Oh Lord, if I end up at Duke, I hope the Toga party doesn't become an annual tradition. I think Toga parties should be reserved for Animal House.

About the interviews - The only dates that are available for self-selecting interviews are prior to the deadline. I don't know what to think about the interview process. I've already visited and didn't really want to visit again, but I didn't anticipate this invitation interview policy when they announced alumni interviews. Now I'm thinking I should probably just bite the bullet and go there for an interview.

For people that haven't looked at it yet, do! There are very few days available.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 07:29
mba12tech wrote:
highhopes wrote:
Duke has more information about their interview policy for this year on their website.

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... us_visits/

Just so I'm clear on this - you can schedule an interview for a date prior to when you actually apply?

I had planned on visiting Fuqua in Sep/Oct just as a normal campus visit, since I did not have the chance to visit this past spring. I'm tempted to wrap an interview in there as well, but then again, I wouldn't be able to adequately respond to any questions similar to "Why Fuqua?" Are these open interviews of a different format? Would it be looked down upon if I came and visited but did not schedule an interview, expecting/hoping to be invited back in December? Is it the norm for first time visitors to come and interview?

mba12tech - one other thing i forgot to say. Fuqua has Saturday interviews, so you could do the whole class visit thing on a Friday, try to develop a quick friend to invite you to Fuqua Friday :-D and then interview on Saturday. If you did it that way, you'd have good momentum for your interview.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke - Class of 2012, UNC, UVA

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 12:18
So, the application was supposed to go live today. Now the site says it will be ready by 4 SEP. No big deal I guess, but if you're applying early, that gives you just about one month for your recommendations. That's kind of tight considering these folks are doing you a favor and Fuqua has, in the past, not wanted a normal letter of rec...
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 14:44
Expert's post
Hi all,

I’m trying to decide whether or not to apply to Duke this year. For those current students and those set on applying to Duke, I was wondering if you can share why you decided on Duke? What kind of advantages does Duke have over other similarly ranked program?

Also, how important is the self initiated interview in to the application process?

tia

Diversity

Director
Director

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 15:05
hsm78 wrote:
So, the application was supposed to go live today. Now the site says it will be ready by 4 SEP. No big deal I guess, but if you're applying early, that gives you just about one month for your recommendations. That's kind of tight considering these folks are doing you a favor and Fuqua has, in the past, not wanted a normal letter of rec...

Lame. I realize that things come up, but it seems like especially as a business school they should meet their own dates (or not post them). I'll let it slide since I love Duke :-D

It really is a tight timeline for the EA'ers. Good luck to you guys!

Director
Director

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 16:51
The application is finally available.

Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs School of Business
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 20:14
asimov wrote:
Hi all,

I’m trying to decide whether or not to apply to Duke this year. For those current students and those set on applying to Duke, I was wondering if you can share why you decided on Duke? What kind of advantages does Duke have over other similarly ranked program?

Also, how important is the self initiated interview in to the application process?

tia

I'm in the same boat... trying to decide whether to apply to Duke. I'd also be very interested to hear current students' or prospective applicants' "why duke" answer. Particularly, why Duke over Michigan? Thanks!!
Director
Director

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 03:58
goose wrote:
asimov wrote:
Hi all,

tia

I'm in the same boat... trying to decide whether to apply to Duke. I'd also be very interested to hear current students' or prospective applicants' "why duke" answer. Particularly, why Duke over Michigan? Thanks!!

I had a very specific set of criteria, but most of my reasons are specific to me. So I don't know how much help I'll be, but wanted to at least provide you guys with some answer. Maybe if you provide for specifics about what you're looking for in a school, people can offer better advice. For a comparison, Duke felt a lot like Kellogg to me.

My first criteria was that it have a health care program, so this was one of the main differentiators for me. In addition, I looked at employers websites and Duke was a targeted campus (because of their health care program).

Here's kind of a run down of my why from my essays.
Duke seems to have a really tight student body and really does seem like a family atmosphere. Of all the schools I visited (I haven't visited Ross yet), I thought Duke students were the most willing to go out of their way to help you (again, Kellogg is probably a very close second in this regard).

The faculty seem pretty involved.

Duke seems focused on how business helps the community around it, which is pretty important to me.

They really do have a student run culture (again, really similar to Kellogg in this regard I think), administration definitely seems very reactive to student needs.

Duke lets you take a lot of electives (especially in the first year).

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 15:06
How strong would you guys say is Duke's Alumni network overall? Have any of you actually heard grads or second year students speak about their experience with the Duke alumni network being a strong component to their career success?

Thanks,
Disco
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 15:43
The Duke network is obviously not as large as that of some schools: we've only been around a few decades and we also don't have especially large classes - we've only been over 400/class for the past few years.

However, I have found Duke alum to be helpful. There are a few where I work, and they helped a lot as I was on my way in.

Givemedisco wrote:
How strong would you guys say is Duke's Alumni network overall? Have any of you actually heard grads or second year students speak about their experience with the Duke alumni network being a strong component to their career success?

Thanks,
Disco
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 41

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 00:28
How strong is Duke in finance vis-a-vis UNC.
I noticed that in the Current year employment stats - Investment management & Equity research have zero placements.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 13:46
snipertrader,

I was wondering the exact same thing but cannot find an answer to it. Please let me know if you find any insight.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 41

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 18:11
Sure thing. Have you tried looking through 2008/7 placement stats. Maybe they could shed some light.
2009 has been an outlier of sorts

bluebumpus wrote:
snipertrader,

I was wondering the exact same thing but cannot find an answer to it. Please let me know if you find any insight.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 09:16
Booked my interview for Saturday, November 7th. Figured I should take advantage of the guaranteed interview. Anyone else going to be around that weekend. I'm scheduled to get in late Friday night, tour in the morning and then interview late morning. Should have some free time after that.

The dress code says business casual for both the tour and the interview, but I'm not sure I totally feel comfortable with that. Would prefer to dress business attire, but don't want to come off as snooty. What is your advice?
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED)   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2009, 09:16