Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 297
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 15:45
Daedalus3 wrote:
burnttwinky wrote:
Unfortunately, in some ways I do fall under the over represented portion since I am a male Indian Engineer. I am American-born, but I am not sure whether that puts me in a different pool. A few years ago, I moved into a capital analyst role in my company, which is the exact opposite of what I did in engineering. I am hoping that helps differentiate me from the traditional Indian engineer at Duke. My extracurricular is pretty solid, but I can always improve if necessary. I will be visiting Duke on April 27th to attend a class, tour the campus, and meet with a ad com; however, I am somewhat skeptical whether the meeting with the ad com is going to help me understand what I need to do from now until fall to improve my chances.


IMHO it does NOT put you into the category of internationals.. If you are born in America, you are American, no matter what your ethnicity is. I think you would compete with every other American male candidate of varying ethnicity.
I know I open a sensitive topic here, but I cannot see business schools sub-classifying Americans based on ethnicity and clubbing them into the applicant pool with internationals of the same ethnicity.
Even permanent residents apparently(?) hold some distinction from internationals who have no affiliation to the US. It could boil down to employ-ability of the candidate in the American market in this economy.

Aah well. Tis' what it is. Still makes an American education worthwhile! Back to the books! :)
And good luck! I see you being decently competitive with a 700+ score, even if it is your 5th try, but I suggest KILLING it (730+) with some retrospection on the psychology of test-day which seems to be your weakness. :)


I completely agree that a 700+ score on the 5th try is better than a 660 on the 1st try, but it won't be easy for me to accomplish that. One of the things that is killing me on the exam is wasting my time on quant questions trying to process some of the questions and understanding what the question is actually asking me. I feel like that on the gmat prep and Knewton exams, there are enough "easy" questions to help make up for the lost time, but that's just my opinion. I'll try to take the exam before the format change, so I will not have to waste my time for the next 2 months becoming familiar with a new section. Hopefully I will be able to come through and improve my candidacy.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 20:07
I recall some of the guys have already received their financial aid responses from AdCom. Have any of you received the supplementing pack of docs? I'm referring to R2 applicants
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
GPA: 3.93
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 03:56
navra wrote:
I recall some of the guys have already received their financial aid responses from AdCom. Have any of you received the supplementing pack of docs? I'm referring to R2 applicants


When a member of the AdCom called me last week to give me the heads-up on financial aid I was receiving, he mentioned that the packets would be mailed out on the front end of this week. So, I'd expect to receive the supplemental welcome documents in the next few days. Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.13
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:08
I just missed a call from my interviewer and she left me a voicemail congratulating me on R2 admission. Is this the call where they communicate scholarship information or is that a separate call from Adcom?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
GPA: 3.93
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:19
yellosno wrote:
I just missed a call from my interviewer and she left me a voicemail congratulating me on R2 admission. Is this the call where they communicate scholarship information or is that a separate call from Adcom?


I received my scholarship information from the AdCom directly; I think your interviewer just calls to welcome you to Fuqua and encourage you to attend BDW.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:24
HopefullyMBA2014 wrote:
yellosno wrote:
I just missed a call from my interviewer and she left me a voicemail congratulating me on R2 admission. Is this the call where they communicate scholarship information or is that a separate call from Adcom?


I received my scholarship information from the AdCom directly; I think your interviewer just calls to welcome you to Fuqua and encourage you to attend BDW.


Yes, it's a separate call from the Financial Aid Office.
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 10:06
Any idea when Interview invites will be sent out for R3? Are all invites sent out on Mar 30th as the Fuqua website suggests or they send it in batches?
_________________

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand - Confucius

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 10:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
ashwinkumarv wrote:
Any idea when Interview invites will be sent out for R3? Are all invites sent out on Mar 30th as the Fuqua website suggests or they send it in batches?


Duke releases all updates on the dates published on the website. That goes for interview invites and for final decisions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.68
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 10:42
Anyone here going to BDW? Also- anyone looked into housing? I heard that Station 9 has got a massive waitlist going and I'm debating about filling out an application prior to finding a roommate (which I hope to do at BDW).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2012
Posts: 11
Location: United States
Schools: Fuqua '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:04
BrendanWard wrote:
Anyone here going to BDW? Also- anyone looked into housing? I heard that Station 9 has got a massive waitlist going and I'm debating about filling out an application prior to finding a roommate (which I hope to do at BDW).


Yes, I'll be at BDW. I am one on the waitlist for Station 9. In speaking with the leasing manager, you have a better chance off of the waitlist if you say that your preference os to move is in July as opposed to August (something to consider).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2012
Posts: 28
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.69
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:08
mp4608 wrote:
BrendanWard wrote:
Anyone here going to BDW? Also- anyone looked into housing? I heard that Station 9 has got a massive waitlist going and I'm debating about filling out an application prior to finding a roommate (which I hope to do at BDW).


Yes, I'll be at BDW. I am one on the waitlist for Station 9. In speaking with the leasing manager, you have a better chance off of the waitlist if you say that your preference os to move is in July as opposed to August (something to consider).


Does anybody know when you would need to get on the waitlist by to get into Station 9? I'm still deciding between Stern and Fuqua, but if I do end up at Duke I certainly want to live there
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2012
Posts: 11
Location: United States
Schools: Fuqua '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:13
packfan1 wrote:
mp4608 wrote:
BrendanWard wrote:
Anyone here going to BDW? Also- anyone looked into housing? I heard that Station 9 has got a massive waitlist going and I'm debating about filling out an application prior to finding a roommate (which I hope to do at BDW).


Yes, I'll be at BDW. I am one on the waitlist for Station 9. In speaking with the leasing manager, you have a better chance off of the waitlist if you say that your preference os to move is in July as opposed to August (something to consider).


Does anybody know when you would need to get on the waitlist by to get into Station 9? I'm still deciding between Stern and Fuqua, but if I do end up at Duke I certainly want to live there


I don't have a specific date, but I would say ASAP once you make your decision. They begin working the waitlist on a first come first serve basis two months in advance of move in dates (i.e. July move-in date waitlist is contacted in May; August move-in date waitlist is contacted in June, etc.).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:37
rgupta83 wrote:
ashwinkumarv wrote:
Any idea when Interview invites will be sent out for R3? Are all invites sent out on Mar 30th as the Fuqua website suggests or they send it in batches?


Duke releases all updates on the dates published on the website. That goes for interview invites and for final decisions.



thanks for the info rgupta83 :)

in which round did you apply?
_________________

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand - Confucius

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Posts: 197
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:42
Hey guys, you might want to consider go to the Duke Class of 2014 Facebook group page to discuss any housing/roomate related things. There will be a lot more people with insights there and we should probably leave this forum exclusively for admissions purpose. Just a suggestion :-D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Posts: 197
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:44
ashwinkumarv wrote:
thanks for the info rgupta83 :)

in which round did you apply?


I'm pretty sure rgupta83 applied EA round. He/she is one of the most active people on Fuqua thread and had provided us lots of insights during this process :-D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 187
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 12:03
goooooo for the lofts at lakeview... theyre closer and nicer than station nine and the same price!!!!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 12:22
happyface wrote:
ashwinkumarv wrote:
thanks for the info rgupta83 :)

in which round did you apply?


I'm pretty sure rgupta83 applied EA round. He/she is one of the most active people on Fuqua thread and had provided us lots of insights during this process :-D


I applied R1 but I was also a re-app so I had a little insight from my time applying R3 last year. And I am a guy in case you want to just use he in the future :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 15:24
shorttheworld wrote:
goooooo for the lofts at lakeview... theyre closer and nicer than station nine and the same price!!!!


short works for the Lofts! :P
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 18:13
HopefullyMBA2014 wrote:
navra wrote:
I recall some of the guys have already received their financial aid responses from AdCom. Have any of you received the supplementing pack of docs? I'm referring to R2 applicants


When a member of the AdCom called me last week to give me the heads-up on financial aid I was receiving, he mentioned that the packets would be mailed out on the front end of this week. So, I'd expect to receive the supplemental welcome documents in the next few days. Hope this helps!



Thank you. I think you can now change your username to: "FinallyMBA2014"
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.13
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 05:43
I'm thrilled that I was admitted to Duke in R2 but haven't heard anything regarding scholarship $. Without any there's no way I will be able to attend. I really hope that more of us hear from Adcom soon. I'd like to make plans for BDW but without a scholarship it would just be a big tease, haha.
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2012, 05:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
93 Experts publish their posts in the topic Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants subhashghosh 1505 13 Jul 2011, 04:12
356 Experts publish their posts in the topic Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants asimov 1831 12 Jun 2012, 06:34
Duke (Fuqua) 2012-Calling all Waitlisted Applicants lilpopers 15 18 Apr 2012, 14:08
205 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants ThomasD 2695 18 May 2010, 07:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  64   65   66   67   68   69   70  ...  76    Next  [ 1506 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.