Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 12:14
Was WL'ed in R2, but received an interview invitation right now.
Current Student
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 12:22
ulm wrote:
Was WL'ed in R2, but received an interview invitation right now.

Hey congratulations. waitlist can really be a nightmare(waitlisted at tepper). Invited for fuqua interview though R3 applicant
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 17:16
Guys, have all of you already received the admission calls on the matter of scholarship?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 18:22
navra wrote:
Guys, have all of you already received the admission calls on the matter of scholarship?

I got a call on Wednesday from Sharon, one of the admissions directors, regarding a merit scholarship. They may still be calling people. Hope you hear good news!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: McCombs '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 06:05
travisz wrote:

thanks, threestripes. your information is always so helpful.

I just think that if they have a round 3, they should allocate at least 5-10% of spots there to make it meaningful. In addition, do they want best candidates or candidates who apply early. It is interesting that they gave so much advantage to early applicants.

Well, anyways, I will try my best to ace the interview.

Maybe it has something to do with the competition between all those backlogged as Wait-lists from EA, R1, R2 etc and the nature of the competition greatly impacts how many WL-ers get admitted vs. direct R3 applicants.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.27
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
Honestly, I think if you're applying to round 3, it has to be in your mind that the likelihood of acceptance is going to be small unless you're clearly above the grade in most of the categories of your application. Even then, there's no guarantee.

As other people have suggested, I think the choices in round 3 are much more about filling out the class than merely taking qualified candidates. I'm not sure if that means "we need more int'l kids" or "we've got too many accountants" or "our average GMAT is low, just take some really high GMAT kids" or what, but it seems to be fairly acknowledged that Round 3 is not approached the same way as previous rounds.

If Duke is looking for 450 kids, and they've got 420 deposits by the time interviews for Round 3 are finished, they're really only going to be looking for 30 kids between the waitlists and the Round 3 applicants, whether there are 50 round 3 applicants or 500.

My understanding is that's probably true for most top schools.

It's an unfortunate reality of Round 3, but a fairly well-documented one. It almost surprises me that there isn't a "PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK" pop-up when you select round 3 app.

That being said, of course, good luck to the round 3'ers! If it doesn't work out, go EA next year and you'll have a much better shot!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 10:33
navra wrote:

I received a call last Monday with good news about a scholarship. I was told they were pulling together admit packs to be sent end of week / early next week. Now I just need to decide between Booth and Fuqua w/ $$. Glad to finally be in this position after dealing w/ two WLs that didn't work out last time around.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 13:03
So I just booked my annoyingly expensive ticket from California for BDW and get in Thursday April 12th in the am. Seeing as I have no friends there, nor have I ever been to NC is anyone in a similar situation that will be there for BDW that would want to get a meal or do some sight seeing or something on Thursday? I like making friends! PM me if interested
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 08:29
Expert's post
inspired12 wrote:
So I just booked my annoyingly expensive ticket from California for BDW and get in Thursday April 12th in the am. Seeing as I have no friends there, nor have I ever been to NC is anyone in a similar situation that will be there for BDW that would want to get a meal or do some sight seeing or something on Thursday? I like making friends! PM me if interested
There will be plenty of activities during BDW, you should worry about not having stuff to do.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.56

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 12:55
Do you guys know if Fuqua scholarships are merit-based or need-based? Perhaps both?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.69
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 13:25
Politico2012 wrote:
Do you guys know if Fuqua scholarships are merit-based or need-based? Perhaps both?

Scholarships are all merit based
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 14:29
What is the difference between 'Not Invited' and 'Wait listed'. Does the former imply you have zero chance of being interviewed and are basically awaiting a formal rejection? Does the latter only apply to post-interview status or pre-interview status as well? If so, wouldn't it be the same as being 'Not Invited'?

This is a weird system, hence all the questions!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 16:30
asimov wrote:
inspired12 wrote:
There will be plenty of activities during BDW, you should worry about not having stuff to do.

Im getting there on Thursday morning the day before BDW, just wanted to see if anyone is in the same situation and wants to meet up for a meal/drink on Thursday!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 21:51
packfan1 wrote:
Politico2012 wrote:

Scholarships are all merit based

I see that you have made your decision. Congrats! :)

catakiosk wrote:
What is the difference between 'Not Invited' and 'Wait listed'. Does the former imply you have zero chance of being interviewed and are basically awaiting a formal rejection? Does the latter only apply to post-interview status or pre-interview status as well? If so, wouldn't it be the same as being 'Not Invited'?

This is a weird system, hence all the questions!

Applicants can only officially get waitlisted on the decision date, whether or not they are invited to interview.

inspired12 wrote:
Im getting there on Thursday morning the day before BDW, just wanted to see if anyone is in the same situation and wants to meet up for a meal/drink on Thursday!

Try posting this on the FB group wall. You'll probably get more responses over there.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 19:00
Expert's post
inspired12 wrote:
asimov wrote:
inspired12 wrote:

Hi inspired12 or any other people who are coming early to BDW, feel free to go to some of the campus events that day, or see if you can sit in on a class. It will get you a feel for Fuqua student life.

To see a list of all the events going on at Fuqua: https://fuqua.campusgroups.com/calendar

On Thursday (April 12th), it looks like Nissan is doing a talk about how they recovered from the Tsunami, sounds very interesting.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 09:50
More great accolades for Fuqua Alum Tim Cook:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Management/ ... EO-736704/
Manager
Manager

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 19:00
Anyone received their admit packs? There is a message in FB that some have already received. So i'm pondering whether some of those who live outside NC have received either

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 23:39
navra wrote:
Anyone received their admit packs? There is a message in FB that some have already received. So i'm pondering whether some of those who live outside NC have received either
I got it more than 24 hrs ago and I live in India
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 09:11
For those WLers who are interested, the decision will be rendered with the R3 applicants (4th of May).
Manager
Manager

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 17:02
Ok, now let me rephrase it: is there anyone who hasn't yet received their packs? Surely, except for me

Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2012, 17:02