Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Duke Fuqua
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I applied in R3 last year thinking that I had a decent chance of getting in. After I got waitlisted, I was initially dejected. However, when I told some current students about my situation, they all told me that I definitely would have been admitted had I applied earlier. And so, I decided to wait and apply again this year.

R3 may have the smallest applicant pool, but the last round's acceptance rate is so much lower compared to the earlier rounds'. You either have to be extremely exceptional or exactly the type of student that they need to fill in a particular pool in order to get accepted.

Note: Even though R3 waitlisters typically get in when they reapply the following year, there are still some who get rejected again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
I applied in R3 last year thinking that I had a decent chance of getting in. After I got waitlisted, I was initially dejected. However, when I told some current students about my situation, they all told me that I definitely would have been admitted had I applied earlier. And so, I decided to wait and apply again this year.

R3 may have the smallest applicant pool, but the last round's acceptance rate is so much lower compared to the earlier rounds'. You either have to be extremely exceptional or exactly the type of student that they need to fill in a particular pool in order to get accepted.

Note: Even though R3 waitlisters typically get in when they reapply the following year, there are still some who get rejected again.

thanks, threestripes. your information is always so helpful.

I just think that if they have a round 3, they should allocate at least 5-10% of spots there to make it meaningful. In addition, do they want best candidates or candidates who apply early. It is interesting that they gave so much advantage to early applicants.

Well, anyways, I will try my best to ace the interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
threestripes wrote:

Btw, did you get waitlisted after the interview? how did the interview go?
thanks.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
I think the issue with Duke and R3 is that their yield is much lower than that of a lot of the other top 15 schools, which is why Duke probably tends to front load the admits. When the yield is higher than initially forecasted, they have no choice but to accept only a few applicants in R3. Once they figure out the right mix, the R3 admit number should eventually go up.

I was waitlisted after the interview. I have been told that I interview very well. In fact, my R3 interviewer last year told me that he thought I was absolutely ready to do my MBA and that I would fit in well at Fuqua. He was the one who encouraged me to reapply this year rather than go to a different school last year.

In any case, good luck! I hope you ace your interview!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Just wondering, is there any way to obtain feedback on your application if the final decision is a rejection? My status currently says "Not Invited" and they've added the disclaimer about how this status may change during the course of this round, but in the event of a final rejection who can I contact? I really want to go to Duke and wouldn't mind speaking to an adcom's member for feedback on how I can position my application for next year, assuming I don't get into my second choice b-school either.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
travisz wrote:

I just think that if they have a round 3, they should allocate at least 5-10% of spots there to make it meaningful. In addition, do they want best candidates or candidates who apply early. It is interesting that they gave so much advantage to early applicants.

While I agree with your statement and I was in the same situation as Three last year, every school operates the same way. If you talk to admissions they strongly encourage you to avoid the last round. Truly at this point they could probably do away with it, but most schools let in only a hand full of people during their last round.

They really are picking people who fill specific gaps in their demographics they are trying to meet and pure rock stars. They tend to waitlist people that would have been admitted in prior rounds in case people drop to ensure they can still create the best possible class.

Its a **** system, but the adcoms rule the process haha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Any R2 admits received their admit package yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Was WL'ed in R2, but received an interview invitation right now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
ulm wrote:
Was WL'ed in R2, but received an interview invitation right now.

Hey congratulations. waitlist can really be a nightmare(waitlisted at tepper). Invited for fuqua interview though R3 applicant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Guys, have all of you already received the admission calls on the matter of scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
navra wrote:
Guys, have all of you already received the admission calls on the matter of scholarship?

I got a call on Wednesday from Sharon, one of the admissions directors, regarding a merit scholarship. They may still be calling people. Hope you hear good news!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
travisz wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with the competition between all those backlogged as Wait-lists from EA, R1, R2 etc and the nature of the competition greatly impacts how many WL-ers get admitted vs. direct R3 applicants.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2014
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
navra wrote:

I received a call last Monday with good news about a scholarship. I was told they were pulling together admit packs to be sent end of week / early next week. Now I just need to decide between Booth and Fuqua w/ $$. Glad to finally be in this position after dealing w/ two WLs that didn't work out last time around.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
So I just booked my annoyingly expensive ticket from California for BDW and get in Thursday April 12th in the am. Seeing as I have no friends there, nor have I ever been to NC is anyone in a similar situation that will be there for BDW that would want to get a meal or do some sight seeing or something on Thursday? I like making friends! PM me if interested
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
inspired12 wrote:
So I just booked my annoyingly expensive ticket from California for BDW and get in Thursday April 12th in the am. Seeing as I have no friends there, nor have I ever been to NC is anyone in a similar situation that will be there for BDW that would want to get a meal or do some sight seeing or something on Thursday? I like making friends! PM me if interested
There will be plenty of activities during BDW, you should worry about not having stuff to do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Do you guys know if Fuqua scholarships are merit-based or need-based? Perhaps both?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Politico2012 wrote:
Do you guys know if Fuqua scholarships are merit-based or need-based? Perhaps both?

Scholarships are all merit based
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts