Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 11:14
threestripes wrote:
mba22 wrote:
Hi clubbers,

I got a mail today from Adcom that my transcripts were not complete, but I had already provided that in the admission portal while filling up the form. So now I provided them with my degree certificate. Please let me know if mailing them is fine or should I call them up to discuss about it? Has anybody faced such situation? After mailing also my application status is still showing incomplete -- they informed that if I do not complete it by 18th I will miss the ES round and they will consider me for R1 -- advices/suggestions are welcome..

Didn't they give you instructions on how to submit the missing documents? If so, it would probably be good to send them a scanned copy of your transcript anyway. I certainly wouldn't risk losing the edge that EA applicants get over R1 folks.

As for me, I got an email from AdCom earlier today, confirming that my application is complete. I'm also already done with my interview... so I guess I'm just going to sit and wait until December 5th for the decision.

At least you'll know by December! I'm submitting R1 (Nov 1) so I won't hear until FEBRUARY.

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 11:19
tfincham86 wrote:
threestripes wrote:
mba22 wrote:
Hi clubbers,

I got a mail today from Adcom that my transcripts were not complete, but I had already provided that in the admission portal while filling up the form. So now I provided them with my degree certificate. Please let me know if mailing them is fine or should I call them up to discuss about it? Has anybody faced such situation? After mailing also my application status is still showing incomplete -- they informed that if I do not complete it by 18th I will miss the ES round and they will consider me for R1 -- advices/suggestions are welcome..

Didn't they give you instructions on how to submit the missing documents? If so, it would probably be good to send them a scanned copy of your transcript anyway. I certainly wouldn't risk losing the edge that EA applicants get over R1 folks.

As for me, I got an email from AdCom earlier today, confirming that my application is complete. I'm also already done with my interview... so I guess I'm just going to sit and wait until December 5th for the decision.

At least you'll know by December! I'm submitting R1 (Nov 1) so I won't hear until FEBRUARY.

It's going to be a brutally long wait for you then. Hope you get good news from your other schools before then.

Duke is my first choice and the first school that I will hear from, so I'm sure that I will be a wreck after Thanksgiving Weekend.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 17:34
rgupta83 wrote:
I also interviewed this past Saturday and I was asked a lot of questions about team situations and leadership situations but that could have been since I am in consulting and all my work in team oriented. I would say the key is be comfortable and know yourself and why you want an MBA and from Duke. Everything else will fall into place if you are confident early. It seems from 3 people the questions were not standard at all.

I agree, I was interviewed three weeks ago and most of the questions didn't come up. I was more of a chat between my interviewer. You really have to know yourself and why you want to go to Duke. If you prepare for specific questions you might get thrown of guard by a original one.
I was asked the difference between leadership and management , if it helps.

Regards,
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Research (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 21:09
I am confused with Duke-2 and Duke-3 essay:
Duke-2: How will your background, values, and non-work activities enhance the experience of other Duke MBA students and add value to Fuqua’s diverse culture?

Here I am writing all about my values and non-work activities but not sure how much I should mention about specific fuqua activities, my future desire involvement and fun clubs? Considering we have why Duke? in essay 3
Any thoughts, help or your approach to this essay??
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
app2012 wrote:
Duke-2: How will your background, values, and non-work activities enhance the experience of other Duke MBA students and add value to Fuqua’s diverse culture?

Here I am writing all about my values and non-work activities but not sure how much I should mention about specific fuqua activities, my future desire involvement and fun clubs? Considering we have why Duke? in essay 3

Essay 2 should be more focussed on you - your experiences and values. Describe 2-3 of them in short if you can. Devote the last part to how that will connect with Fuqua's culture eg: if you are strong on ethics, show what clubs/classes you might be able to contribute in. Note that this essay is a GIVE to Fuqua essay.

Essay 3 is a take from Fuqua essay. What interests you about the school? Maybe the fact that it is in a university thats big on sports and you'll get a good feel of the overall student experience? Maybe Durham and NC attract you? What kind of classes/professors are you looking for that are at Duke but no where else. stuff like that

There could be a little overlap in 2 and 3, but I would recommend minimizing that. As then it may seem you haven't done enough research to appropriately comment on the school's diversity.

hope this helps.

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Research (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 08:18
str1der wrote:
app2012 wrote:

Essay 2 should be more focussed on you - your experiences and values. Describe 2-3 of them in short if you can. Devote the last part to how that will connect with Fuqua's culture eg: if you are strong on ethics, show what clubs/classes you might be able to contribute in. Note that this essay is a GIVE to Fuqua essay.

Essay 3 is a take from Fuqua essay. What interests you about the school? Maybe the fact that it is in a university thats big on sports and you'll get a good feel of the overall student experience? Maybe Durham and NC attract you? What kind of classes/professors are you looking for that are at Duke but no where else. stuff like that

There could be a little overlap in 2 and 3, but I would recommend minimizing that. As then it may seem you haven't done enough research to appropriately comment on the school's diversity.

hope this helps.

Thanks! this is helpful.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 13:25
Has anyone here applied for the Duke Minority Workshop? Did you get any sort of confirmation after you submitted the survey?
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 01:16
Has anyone received any interview calls for EA round ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 06:05
subhashghosh wrote:
Has anyone received any interview calls for EA round ?

All EA interview invitations will go out on October 24th.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 16:21
I am planning on submitting my application for R1 deadline on Nov 1. Does anyone know if you have to submit the application a few days early to qualify for the reduced application fee?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 18:14
Hemantuec wrote:
I am planning on submitting my application for R1 deadline on Nov 1. Does anyone know if you have to submit the application a few days early to qualify for the reduced application fee?

You should be able to receive confirmation on your reduced application fee before you submit your application. When you're working on your app, as soon as you hit save while on the Application Fee Waiver Information page, AdCom will gain access to this information and process the waiver request. You will then get an email from them, confirming the waiver, a few days later.

When you finally submit your app, the reduced fee should show up before you send your payment. Otherwise, you will need to get in touch with AdCom to adjust the fee before paying.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 19:15
Hello everyone,

I am also submitting my application for Round1. While filling the recommendation form I noticed that there is no option for a 'Former Supervisor' in the drop down. I am asking my former team lead (not my manager) to write one of my letter of recommendation. In such a case which option would be best suited. I will ask the Adcom as well, just shooting this question in this forum in case anyone else has already inquired about this.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC Kenan Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, Rotman
WE 1: IT Consulting

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 10:47

As for me, I got an email from AdCom earlier today, confirming that my application is complete. I'm also already done with my interview... so I guess I'm just going to sit and wait until December 5th for the decision.[/quote][/quote]

Hey, thanks for the response. Btw, I mailed them the scanned copy of my transcripts and degree-certificate. The app now shows complete and I am still good for EA round.. has any Indians, applied in EA round, got any interview-invites yet ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 11:24
Does anybody know of student clubs at Fuqua focused on community service? Couldn't find any on their website.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 15:19
ksk80 wrote:
Does anybody know of student clubs at Fuqua focused on community service? Couldn't find any on their website.

Here is one big club, Net Impact, but there are several other smaller community service groups...

http://www.dukembanetimpact.org/
Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 02:49
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
ksk80 wrote:

Here is one big club, Net Impact, but there are several other smaller community service groups...

http://www.dukembanetimpact.org/

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 10:35
Thinking optimistically, does anybody know the timeline for accepting an offer from Duke (for Round 1)? When should the deposit go in?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 11:32
Is there a word limit for the essays? I know the instructions say not more than two pages. My essays are within 2 pages but 1100 words, just seem long. Any thoughts?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 12:30
Expert's post
Hemantuec wrote:
Is there a word limit for the essays? I know the instructions say not more than two pages. My essays are within 2 pages but 1100 words, just seem long. Any thoughts?

If you followed the guideline of 2 page 1.5 space and 10 pt font, you should be fine. My essays were ~1000 words.

Diversity

Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 12:31
Expert's post
ksk80 wrote:
Thinking optimistically, does anybody know the timeline for accepting an offer from Duke (for Round 1)? When should the deposit go in?

May 1, 2012

more detail at (When to Apply tab): http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... y_daytime/

Diversity

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2011, 12:31