Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Just hoping the 2012 applicants could provide some advice. I'm looking to understand when I should expect to see the 2013 application questions released? When were they for the previous year?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
In last year's thread there was one admit off the waitlist in June (quite a bit after the R3 deadline).

As an international applicant I think R3 will be judgement day for better or worse. As it is, a visa may be difficult to turn around before August. Fingers cross for the R3 call!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
canadianchamp wrote:
In last year's thread there was one admit off the waitlist in June (quite a bit after the R3 deadline).

As an international applicant I think R3 will be judgement day for better or worse. As it is, a visa may be difficult to turn around before August. Fingers cross for the R3 call!

Well I think it is actually dependent on what happens today, the deposit deadline day for R1 and R2. If a large number of admits accept, then you are correct, R3 is the best last chance for WLters especially internationals. If a large number of admits do not accept, then adcom has its work cut out, sifting between R3 and WL piles to pullout the best candidates.
They would have done their groundwork of course, shortlisting a consolidated list of probables from both pools but it depends on whether that shortlist is sufficient or not. Also note that the shortlist may continuously evolve based on updates submitted by R3 and WL applicants.
Fuqua gives itself only 3 days to finalize things between the deposit deadline and R3 decision day, as opposed to say Ross which gives itself a couple of weeks. That can mean that Fuqua adcom is either very good at estimating yield or chances of getting admitted after R3 decisions are higher in Fuqua than Ross, all other things considered equal.

Ah well never mind. :) Just relax and all the very best of luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GRE 1: Q44 V38
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hello everyone, longtime lurker since EA as a waitlisted applicant. Figured I would crowdsource this decision given that no one I know at this point can really offer great advice.

I originally applied to the full-time MBA and was waitlisted. I then changed my application to a dual degree with the Nicholas School for an MEM/MBA on the advice of my mentors and some adcom at both Fuqua and the Nick School (my background is energy policy). I have been admitted to the Nick school with some $$$, but I am still on the waitlist for Fuqua. In terms of what I want to do, ie energy economics, consulting for utilities, energy entrepreneurship do I risk potentially going to the Nick school and reapplying to Fuqua in the fall if I am not admitted? Or do I keep working (consulting for a carbon trading firm in Beijing right now...) and apply to other schools in the fall, ie Ross, Cal, Oxford 1+1, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Dsupreme wrote:
Hello everyone, longtime lurker since EA as a waitlisted applicant. Figured I would crowdsource this decision given that no one I know at this point can really offer great advice.

I originally applied to the full-time MBA and was waitlisted. I then changed my application to a dual degree with the Nicholas School for an MEM/MBA on the advice of my mentors and some adcom at both Fuqua and the Nick School (my background is energy policy). I have been admitted to the Nick school with some $$$, but I am still on the waitlist for Fuqua. In terms of what I want to do, ie energy economics, consulting for utilities, energy entrepreneurship do I risk potentially going to the Nick school and reapplying to Fuqua in the fall if I am not admitted? Or do I keep working (consulting for a carbon trading firm in Beijing right now...) and apply to other schools in the fall, ie Ross, Cal, Oxford 1+1, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I think it depends on how how much you value you the second degree. If you do, you might be able to work it out with the School applying in the fall. Being waitlisted means you are qualified but fall into a overly populated demographic. I would assume re-applying next year after being waitlisted this year, would yield positive results this year.

If you are ok forgoing the extra degree, I recommend reapplying to multiple schools next year, gives you more options overall. I think what really matters is the value of this MEM degree to you.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GRE 1: Q44 V38
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Thanks for the reply rgupta. It really comes down to whether my career is in a better place now or by potentially attending the nick school. I will definitely learn things in the MEM program that are important, but since I am trying to get an MBA, the commitment and time out of the working world getting an extra degree seems like a waste if I am ultimately not going to Fuqua for business school.

It's a very difficult decision due to the fact that I'm on the waitlist as an MEM/MBA now, which means if they let me in I wouldn't be attending Fuqua until next fall. Which they haven't started admissions for, so who am I really competing with?

Oh well, hopefully good news in a few hours and I can forget about it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
Good luck to the WL/R3 applicants today!

Thanks threestripes. Hope to be joining you out in Durham this fall.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks threestripes, rgupta and other R3/WL supporters - Fingers crossed for everyone waiting!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
LOL jwfutrell! I guess everyone's so jumpy. I've been refreshing my email every 2 minutes. It's kinda sad now that I think about it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
What time can we expect the result??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
raghu123 wrote:
What time can we expect the result??

If R2 is a reasonable proxy I got my result at 3:20 EST (Though I noticed results rolling out all afternoon in this thread).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
It looks like Duke is really holding out to the last minute....not even funny anymore...lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
abou wrote:
It looks like Duke is really holding out to the last minute....not even funny anymore...lol

agree thats not funny. they are burning us..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It is 4 pm durham time !! how come they hold all notifications !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
MBAseeker2 wrote:

The strangest part is that arent they supposed to have finished their decisions before today? so why still keep them late into the day?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abou wrote:
MBAseeker2 wrote:

The strangest part is that arent they supposed to have finished their decisions before today? so why still keep them late into the day?

I believe it is due to the replies from the admits of r1 and r2. it is just days between the deadlines of the deposit and today. I think there will be large number of waitlist in r3! oh, i am sooooo nervous ..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Waitlisted.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76